Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

On 4/9/2022 at 2:36 PM, DeathByEagle said:

My gut feeling still hasnt changed, even after the Saints trade. I think Pickett is the Eagles top target in this draft. 

Only way I see it is if he is still there at 11 or 12 and we manage to swing a deal using 15 and one of our 3rds to move up (I doubt we’d entertain giving up more to go higher).  But I hope he (and Willis) go top 10 to prevent the temptation.  

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 2:36 PM, DeathByEagle said:

My gut feeling still hasnt changed, even after the Saints trade. I think Pickett is the Eagles top target in this draft. 

I thought he might be their target but not anymore. I think if he was they would’ve kept the first rounder they traded to the Saints to move up this year. Pickett is going to get overdrafted. Carolina, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle, Minnesota, Washington and the Giants are all desperate for a long term solution at QB. He’s going to be like Daniel Jones and go much higher than he should. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 11:31 PM, time2rock said:

Only way I see it is if he is still there at 11 or 12 and we manage to swing a deal using 15 and one of our 3rds to move up (I doubt we’d entertain giving up more to go higher).  But I hope he (and Willis) go top 10 to prevent the temptation.  

On 4/12/2022 at 2:19 AM, Road to Victory said:

I thought he might be their target but not anymore. I think if he was they would’ve kept the first rounder they traded to the Saints to move up this year. Pickett is going to get overdrafted. Carolina, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle, Minnesota, Washington and the Giants are all desperate for a long term solution at QB. He’s going to be like Daniel Jones and go much higher than he should. 

Agreed. If Pickett was truly the target, you don’t trade one of your firsts. You use the firsts to get in the top 5 and make sure you get him.

People continue to delude themselves that the Eagles are drafting Strong or Pickett, when the Eagles are doing exactly what they should in giving Hurts another year, but setting themselves up with ammunition to take his replacement in what should be a much stronger QB draft in 2023.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 6:23 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed. If Pickett was truly the target, you don’t trade one of your firsts. You use the firsts to get in the top 5 and make sure you get him.

People continue to delude themselves that the Eagles are drafting Strong or Pickett, when the Eagles are doing exactly what they should in giving Hurts another year, but setting themselves up with ammunition to take his replacement in what should be a much stronger QB draft in 2023.

They still can. 15 and 18 can get you to the number 4 pick or even number 3 with a small sweetener. 

Hopefully Pickett drops with Willis and now Corral hype is growing which allows Eagles not to have to move up that high to get him. 

Again this is just my gut feeling. Not saying I want to move up to get him, just a feeling. 

7 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

They still can. 15 and 18 can get you to the number 4 pick or even number 3 with a small sweetener. 

Hopefully Pickett drops with Willis and now Corral hype is growing which allows Eagles not to have to move up that high to get him. 

Again this is just my gut feeling. Not saying I want to move up to get him, just a feeling. 

I hope you're wrong. I don't want them to draft a QB this year and that opinion hasn't changed. They have too many needs (including at QB) to be trading assets this year to go and get one of these QBs.

• Like 1

I'd draft a QB in a second this year.  This team's most glaring need over the next few years is the QB.  If Pickett, Corral, Willis, or Howell are there with one of our firsts OR Ridder or Strong with our 2nd, the team should grab one.  All improve the position, but I wouldn't trade up for one.  Then, ship Hurts, while we can.  The team isn't getting "fixed" in this draft or the next.  Let's get off of Fantasy Island pretending that next year we will automatically get someone better (as the final piece) and the team will have been built from the '22 picks.

Add:  I do not think that the Eagles take a QB this year.  We need another year of Faux Russell Wilson to justify Howie's waste of that pick.

13 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hope you're wrong. I don't want them to draft a QB this year and that opinion hasn't changed. They have too many needs (including at QB) to be trading assets this year to go and get one of these QBs.

I genuinely think Pickett is not on the Eagles radar, otherwise they wouldn't have done that trade with the Saints.

Yes, it might be that you can still get Pickett with the two firsts, but then you are not filling any of the other pretty major needs. What if Pickett isn't great in 2022. Do you go QB again in 2023? Heck you might even have a shot at one of the big 2.

Everything the Eagles are doing suggests they want to give Hurts one more year and then be in a position to draft his replacement in 2023 if it doesn't work out. That's what they should do.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'd draft a QB in a second this year.

Just "a QB?"  Any QB?  Any of half a dozen in a class that is widely considered to be less strong than average?

That's a recipe for flailing and over drafting and wasting resources that the team has spent several years building.

This year there are top prospects at DB and DL - two areas of real need.  The Eagles haven't had top guys at DB in years.  And with both Cox and Graham getting closer to the end of their careers, the need there is great as well.  Drafting DB and DL would be a far better use of this year's resources.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

Just "a QB?"  Any QB?  Any of half a dozen in a class that is widely considered to be less strong than average?

That's a recipe for flailing and over drafting and wasting resources that the team has spent several years building.

This year there are top prospects at DB and DL - two areas of real need.  The Eagles haven't had top guys at DB in years.  And with both Cox and Graham getting closer to the end of their careers, the need there is great as well.  Drafting DB and DL would be a far better use of this year's resources.

Yeah, our QB is top shelf...the clear definition of ""flailing and overdrafting and wasting resources."  This team isn't getting fixed in this draft or the next or likely the next.  QB remains a huge need (and the most important position in football).  The delusion about Hurts in here is very real.  

6 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Yeah, our QB is top shelf...the clear definition of ""flailing and overdrafting and wasting resources."  This team isn't getting fixed in this draft or the next or likely the next.  QB remains a huge need (and the most important position in football).  The delusion about Hurts in here is very real.  

So your strategy is to do the same?  

As you said, this team isn't getting fixed in this draft, so why not go with players with more upside at other positions and look to grab a QB next year when the class should be much stronger?  That approach is not driven by delusions of Hurts.  We are in as good a position to make a move for a QB next year as we are this year since we have two 1s in each year.  

42 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I genuinely think Pickett is not on the Eagles radar, otherwise they wouldn't have done that trade with the Saints.

Yes, it might be that you can still get Pickett with the two firsts, but then you are not filling any of the other pretty major needs. What if Pickett isn't great in 2022. Do you go QB again in 2023? Heck you might even have a shot at one of the big 2.

Everything the Eagles are doing suggests they want to give Hurts one more year and then be in a position to draft his replacement in 2023 if it doesn't work out. That's what they should do.

You are confusing what my "gut feeling" is with what I would want. I don't want to move up to get Pickett. Just a feeling I have. Sadly my gut is usually right. Lets just hope its wrong this time or someone else beats Howie to him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, time2rock said:

As you said, this team isn't getting fixed in this draft, so why not go with players with more upside at other positions and look to grab a QB next year when the class should be much stronger?  That approach is not driven by delusions of Hurts.  We are in as good a position to make a move for a QB next year as we are this year since we have two 1s in each year.  

The counter to that argument is that with one pick this year you could get a look at a guy with a shot for a year when you know Hurts doesn't have one. If he sucks keep picking until you get it right.  If you wait until next year and get it wrong then the guys you've picked in the last few years start to age out at least on original contract.  What sucks is that Howie is likely to get the QB or non-QB pick wrong either way

56 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Any QB in the top 5 or 6 this year is significantly better than what we have and gives the team a shot at improving it's ceiling, without bundling resources.  Maybe these guys aren't elite, but what we have is below average. The fantasy is waiting another year, based in the concept that waiting guarantees us a better QB than the ones this year.  Waiting just delays the inevitable and slows progression. Plus, Hurts in a contract year and is worth far less than this year in trade (recoup some resources).  While I agree that there are plenty of needs across the roster, letting the QB be so limited is problematic...no matter how many quality WR, DT, CB, OR S we draft or what the name is behind center.  If one of these QBs are there at our pick, we have to consider pulling the trigger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'd draft a QB in a second this year.

NOOOOOO!!! Let's put all our eggs in the Young/Stroud basket! Never mind the fact that the Dolphins, Lions, Texans & Seahawks also have two 1st's next year and are all likely to be worse than the Eagles/Saints and in need of a new QB. I could easily see a scenario where both our picks finish outside the top 10 and QB needy teams hang up the phone when Howie comes calling about a trade up. Then what? Settle for 3rd-5th best QB? Ive been watching alot of the top 2023 prospects and i just dont see where that group beyond the top 2 has separated themselves from the 2022 class. Sure they could take a leap this year but they could also not take a leap i.e. Spencer Rattler/Sam Howell. Minshew obviously doesnt have a future here and i dont believe Hurts does either so im hoping Howie takes a stab at a QB if one of them are there in the 2nd. You know who my vote is. 

• Like 1

I would trade up to #3 for Pickett and be done with it. No more QB speculation. He's our guy.

Gonna costs 2 firsts plus. Two firsts this year or one this year and one of next year's. Plus a sweetener pick/player.

If we don't get a QB this year, I'll be just as happy with whoever we get in the draft.

There are so many holes to fill. I am convinced we are in a major rebuild.

7 Pickett.PNG

59 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

I would trade up to #3 for Pickett and be done with it. No more QB speculation. He's our guy.

Gonna costs 2 firsts plus. Two firsts this year or one this year and one of next year's. Plus a sweetener pick/player.

If we don't get a QB this year, I'll be just as happy with whoever we get in the draft.

7 Pickett.PNG

That's true.  We could do BPA at almost every pick and not have an issue meeting a need

9 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yeah all of this. The anti-Hurts brigade are out in force and want us to make a knee jerk reaction move for a QB who will probably never be a top 15-20 QB in the league. No we might not be in a position to get Stroud or Young, but next year should be a stronger draft for QBs anyway, with those two setting the tone and moving others down within our reach.

Start to add talent where the draft is deep. Give Hurts a last year. If he's not the guy - get your QB in 2023.

9 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

You are confusing what my "gut feeling" is with what I would want. I don't want to move up to get Pickett. Just a feeling I have. Sadly my gut is usually right. Lets just hope its wrong this time or someone else beats Howie to him. 

No - I got that, I was just trying to explain why I felt that the Eagles won't do it. Who knows with Howie though.

Derp derp best player available, derp a derp a derp we have needs!!! No, not that need the best player is what we need but not that one!! I think we should go best player unless it's a position of needssss then get that player because we have a lot of needs so might as well go best player 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Derp derp best player available, derp a derp a derp we have needs!!! No, not that need the best player is what we need but not that one!! I think we should go best player unless it's a position of needssss then get that player because we have a lot of needs so might as well go best player 

Blah blah blah. You're not adding anything to the conversation. Blah blah blah. 

15 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Blah blah blah. You're not adding anything to the conversation. Blah blah blah. 

Neither are any of you. 

18 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah all of this. The anti-Hurts brigade are out in force and want us to make a knee jerk reaction move for a QB who will probably never be a top 15-20 QB in the league. No we might not be in a position to get Stroud or Young, but next year should be a stronger draft for QBs anyway, with those two setting the tone and moving others down within our reach.

Start to add talent where the draft is deep. Give Hurts a last year. If he's not the guy - get your QB in 2023.

A better QB is guaranteed if we just wait until next year...if we just tolerate another year of the hard workingest, one read, swagmaster to ever run around in circles in the backfield.  Mark it down...guaranteed by ManchesterEagle!  

BTW, I am not anti-Hurts.  I am pro-Eagles.  I want the team's QB1 to have a higher ceiling than a dollhouse.

9 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

A better QB is guaranteed if we just wait until next year...if we just tolerate another year of the hard workingest, one read, swagmaster to ever run around in circles in the backfield.  Mark it down...guaranteed by ManchesterEagle!  

BTW, I am not anti-Hurts.  I am pro-Eagles.  I want the team's QB1 to have a higher ceiling than a dollhouse.

Nothing is guaranteed, but it seems pretty clear that the Eagles have not yet given up on Hurts by their words and actions. 

You want the Eagles to draft Howell, Corral or Strong in the first and offload Hurts? What if they don't look good in their first year? Most of these QBs will not reach the level that Hurts was at last year. Do you draft another one in 2023? The teams needs some serious help. This draft is deep at other positions. Not a draft to take a QB when you don't need to. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is always a lot of talk about BPA's that don't don't even fill a need on your team. I like what you say here.

For me- I say take the BPA of the position of need. Makes the most sense to me. Why take the BPA if your teams has filled that position already? Makes ZERO sense. But you have needs, so you take the BPA of that need, not just the BPA who has nothing to do with your needs. 

23 hours ago, CouchKing said:

7 Pickett.PNG

And you don't rebuild by trading away high picks for ONE position. You use those high picks to build up the roster.