Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I can't say I'd be thrilled if we took him if he dropped to one of our own spots but it wouldn't be nearly as bad if we traded 2 1s.  But looking at the current draft order, I don't think he'll drop to 15 ... too many teams that need a QB ahead of us. 

• Detroit?  Although they could potentially trade up from 32 or 34 to get one (hoping that is with us and involves their 2023 1st in return). 
  • Houston who just traded Watson (maybe not with the 3rd overall pick but they now own 13 too). 
  • The Giants (who have picks 5 and 7) could be in play (highly doubt they are convinced Jones is "the man").  
  • Carolina (Darnold?  lol)
  • Atlanta (same comment as the Giants but with regard to Mariota - he could more of a bridge QB).
  • Seattle (after having traded Wilson)

My fear is, knowing how many QB needy teams are ahead of us will make Howie feel compelled to trade up for one.  He needs to trust his gut, stay patient, and stay put and take the best players available at those spots (or the best players at our biggest positions of need if the evaluations are close).  

Yeah, he’s going before the Eagles pick. I do think both Mayfield and Garoppolo both get traded before or during the draft, likely to a couple of those teams you mentioned which could eliminate some of Howie’s competition.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if Atlanta went with Willis or Corral… signing Mariota is obviously a stop-gap, and it would make sense to sign him particularly if their sights are set on one of the more mobile QBs. That way they don’t need two different offensive game plans for Mariota and the rookie.

Still would leave several QB needy teams ahead of the Eagles. 

55 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah, he’s going before the Eagles pick. I do think both Mayfield and Garoppolo both get traded before or during the draft, likely to a couple of those teams you mentioned which could eliminate some of Howie’s competition.

Good point.  

The Eagles seem to be showing a lot of public interest, but if the Eagles were really interested, I would expect them to be more discreet. After all, if teams think the Eagles want Pickett, then that might encourage the Saints, Steelers or Lions to trade up to get him. Might be what the Eagles want.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The Eagles seem to be showing a lot of public interest, but if the Eagles were really interested, I would expect them to be more discreet. After all, if teams think the Eagles want Pickett, then that might encourage the Saints, Steelers or Lions to trade up to get him. Might be what the Eagles want.

My thoughts exactly.  Try to force other teams to blow their draft ammo and in the process, push some non QB targets down.  

Three teams ahead of Eagles might take a QB.

#6 Carolina

#8 Atlanta

#9 Seattle

And one team that should

#5 NY Giants

My bet is that Howie Trades up to #3 or#4 for Pickett.

31 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Three teams ahead of Eagles might take a QB.

#6 Carolina

#8 Atlanta

#9 Seattle

And one team that should

#5 NY Giants

My bet is that Howie Trades up to #3 or#4 for Pickett.

2 Detroit 

3 / 13 Houston

NOTE:  not that I think they will take QBs top 5, but certainly can't rule it out (i.e. the possibility at least exists)

And then ahead of pick 19:

18 New Orleans

And then obviously teams picking after 19 that could trade up:

20 Pittsburgh

32 Detroit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

2 Detroit 

3 / 13 Houston

18 New Orleans

20 Pittsburgh

32 Detroit

Don’t forget Washington at 11. I mean they have Wentz, but we all know he responds well to competition….

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

2 Detroit 

3 / 13 Houston

18 New Orleans

20 Pittsburgh

32 Detroit

I don't see Detroit drafting him. Goff had absolutely nothing to throw too and still was really good down the stretch. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't see Detroit drafting him. Goff had absolutely nothing to throw too and still was really good down the stretch. 

I don't think they added Goff thinking "he's the man" ... that was more about getting those 1s from LA for Stafford (Goff was just part of the deal) IMO.  Buy hey I could be wrong.  While I don't think they'd draft a QB at 2 (I think if they do go QB it is much more likely they trade up from 32 or 34 if they see a guy they like fall, the possibility does exist.  And CK mentioned "teams that may take a QB" (didn't necessarily specify Pickett). 

Detroit could take a QB, but they just gave Goff his roster bonus of $15Mil and smoothed out his cap hit numbers to $30Mil over next three years.

I think Detroit sticks with Jared Goff. 

Texans could also take a QB, but may stick with 3rd round pick and rookie last year, Miles Davis.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't think they added Goff thinking "he's the man" ... that was more about getting those 1s from LA for Stafford (Goff was just part of the deal) IMO.  Buy hey I could be wrong.  While I don't think they'd draft a QB at 2 (I think if they do go QB it is much more likely they trade up from 32 or 34 if they see a guy they like fall, the possibility does exist.  And CK mentioned "teams that may take a QB" (didn't necessarily specify Pickett). 

Anything is possible but, I just don't think they will. Plus I didn't know about the stuff couch king just mentioned

Detroit isn't taking a QB in the top 5, they've already got one overdrafted QB on the roster,  I think Houston will stick with Mills or go for Garopollo as a solid but unspectacular placeholder until a better QB draft comes up,  Atlanta will gamble that either Corral drops to the second (he is in a lot of mocks) or take Strong to sit behind / compete with Mariota while they rebuild the rest of the roster,  Carolina may take one, Seattle will tank with Lock for a better QB draft, New Orleans think they've sorted Jameis' game out (and he was a ton better at taking care of the ball there last year) and won't take one at 18. I think Pittsburgh may give Trubisky a fair shot and they have Rudolph there already who has shown flashes as a spot starter.

I think it's telling that so many of the QB needy teams are looking for short term solutions elsewhere rather than the draft.

My feeling is the Eagles are in a good position to pick a guy like Pickett at 15 if he falls. They have multiple picks and 15 is a good spot for guys like Pickett/Corral. If they get picked earlier then so be it other talent falls but if they last then why not take a shot this year.  I think people trivialize that the Eagles can just get a QB in next year's draft.  It's never that easy

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

My feeling is the Eagles are in a good position to pick a guy like Pickett at 15 if he falls. They have multiple picks and 15 is a good spot for guys like Pickett/Corral. If they get picked earlier then so be it other talent falls but if they last then why not take a shot this year.  I think people trivialize that the Eagles can just get a QB in next year's draft.  It's never that easy

I wouldn’t be upset if they took a QB if one fell to them … I would hate it if they used 2 of our day 1 picks to trade up for one though. My biggest reason for not wanting a QB this year though is mostly because I feel that in doing so you are writing off Hurts in the process.  A lot of people have done that and don’t think he can improve certain parts of his game to be a legit starting QB - perhaps they are right.  I’d like to see what he does in his 2nd full season as a starter, what kind of improvements he makes in his game over this offseason.  I just hate wasting yet another high (2nd rd) pick.  But perhaps we’d be able to trade him and get a 2nd in return making it basically a wash (akin to trading a 2020 2nd for a 2023 2nd). 

• Like 3

I wouldn’t be upset if they took a QB if one fell to them … I would hate it if they used 2 of our day 1 picks to trade up for one though. My biggest reason for not wanting a QB this year though is mostly because I feel that in doing so you are writing off Hurts in the process.  A lot of people have done that and don’t think he can improve certain parts of his game to be a legit starting QB - perhaps they are right.  I’d like to see what he does in his 2nd full season as a starter, what kind of improvements he makes in his game over this offseason.  I just hate wasting yet another high (2nd rd) pick.  But perhaps we’d be able to trade him and get a 2nd in return making it basically a wash (akin to trading a 2020 2nd for a 2023 2nd). 

Personally I think the flaws in Hurts' game have been the same as college.  He's improved a little of course but generally the same guy.  I wouldn't want to spend 2 high picks on a QB this year but if there is a guy who might be better I'd give it a try if he's there. Honestly I feel like the future of the team is stronger if the guy shows promise or if he fails miserably and the Eagles get a top 10 pick.  Getting pick 19 again is probably not going to net you a Qb next year unless you get super lucky and trade this year with a team who ends up top 10 next year. Possible but unlikely

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Personally I think the flaws in Hurts' game have been the same as college.  He's improved a little of course but generally the same guy.  I wouldn't want to spend 2 high picks on a QB this year but if there is a guy who might be better I'd give it a try if he's there. Honestly I feel like the future of the team is stronger if the guy shows promise or if he fails miserably and the Eagles get a top 10 pick.  Getting pick 19 again is probably not going to net you a Qb next year unless you get super lucky and trade this year with a team who ends up top 10 next year. Possible but unlikely

I have been hoping that Detroit may not feel Goff is the guy and has their eyes on a QB that drops to our pick and decides to trade up from either 32 or 34 to get him giving us their 2023 1st in the process.  That would almost surely set us up nicely for a QB next year as it seems reasonable to expect they are going to stink yet again.  

13 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I have been hoping that Detroit may not feel Goff is the guy and has their eyes on a QB that drops to our pick and decides to trade up from either 32 or 34 to get him giving us their 2023 1st in the process.  That would almost surely set us up nicely for a QB next year as it seems reasonable to expect they are going to stink yet again.  

i would have to think they would need to be in love with one of the qb’s to do that i mean everyone talks about how this class is weaker then next year. you would think adding another good player and still being in position for a top better qb next year would make more sense but it is detroit. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

i would have to think they would need to be in love with one of the qb’s to do that i mean everyone talks about how this class is weaker then next year. you would think adding another good player and still being in position for a top better qb next year would make more sense but it is detroit. 

You just know with Howie though that he can talk himself in to one of these QBs.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You just know with Howie though that he can talk himself in to one of these QBs.

oh yeah i can see howie thinking let’s add 3 first round qbs to the factory this year lol… then we can trade them for mega picks in the future 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems very unlikely

4 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Seems very unlikely

Damn you quit raining on my parade!  :lol:

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

I'm not a Hurts fan these days, but I was hoping Howie falls, hits his head, and that causes him to do the RIGHT thing in this draft, and build the team up in the most needed area's other than QB. That means giving Hurts the 2022 season to be the final judge of his future. I'm ok with it. BUILD THE TEAM, Howie.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

I'm not a Hurts fan these days, but I was hoping Howie falls, hits his head, and that causes him to do the RIGHT thing in this draft, and build the team up in the most needed area's other than QB. That means giving Hurts the 2022 season to be the final judge of his future. I'm ok with it. BUILD THE TEAM, Howie.

So he's going nail the picks this year and then he's going to nail the QB pick in 2023 even though the organization has successfully picked a franchise QB once in 35 years? Even if that happens that guy will take at least a year to develop which makes it 2024 so half of the team now is gone. Until you get a QB the clock doesn't even start ticking. So might as well keep trying to get QB right first imo

• Like 2