Jeopardy!

FranklinFldEBUpper

Head's up to Jeopardy viewers. This coming Monday (5/4) they are going to air the very first Ken Jennings appearance back in 2004. The next two weeks of shows will be the historic match with Ken, Brad, and James, as well as the episode where Ken's 74-game streak comes to an end.

It should be obvious that they don't really have too many (if any) new episodes in the can. During the college tournament, there was a clue which referenced the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl, so it was obviously filmed after the beginning of February. And in the regular show which followed the college tournament, they mentioned the name of the winner of that college tournament, so that was obviously filmed later on. And it's doubtful they did any filming after mid-March due to the pandemic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next couple months are just re-runs of classic players. I know I wouldn't mind watching some of James episodes again.

• 2 months later...

Ok, now I want to do that.

• Like 1

Trebek said today that if this round of chemo doesn't put him in remission, he will discontinue treatment.  If that's the case,  he will likely last less than 6 months.  

On 7/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

King

I don't even care if that ends up being fake.

:worthy: Trebek

The GOAT of game show hosts.

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh....you haven't?  So all of your posts were serious?

I've done a lot of weed in life but I never did "5 hash brownies and black out for 3 days"

Reruns of really old shows this week. I believe tomorrow night (Wednesday)  is going to feature Chuck Forrest, the first true "superstar" of Jeopardy contestants. In my opinion, he's the fourth member of the Mount Rushmore of Jeopardy contestants, the other three being Ken, James, and Brad.

He won $72,800 in his original five day run back in 1985, which would be equivalent to $145,600 in today's game, or a little over $29,000 per show. What was special about him was that in all five of his wins, he had the game clinched going into Final Jeopardy, so he didn't wager much on the final question. While there were players who eventually won more than him, none of them (that I know of) had all five games under wraps like that, so they were forced to bet more, which led them to their higher totals.

Unfortunately, while he did win the subsequent Tournament of Champions, he never duplicated his great feats in any of the all-time tournaments that he participated in. Still, I consider him to be the greatest player I ever saw prior to Ken Jennings.

Not sure which episode of his they are going to show. I hope it's his debut. It's fun to watch the young lady in the middle, who gets off to a good start and then slowly gets destroyed. She seemed like a good player but she got the bad luck of the draw to have to go against a legend. You can see her excitement melt as she falls further and further behind. The champion, on the other hand, just seemed resigned to the fact that he was overwhelmed.

It's going to be Chuck Forrest's fifth day episode, which was actually semi-competitive. Chuck makes a smart and courteous Final Jeopardy wager whereas the woman in second place makes a moronic wager.

I hope they replay this episode

Cliff_Clavin_in_Jeopardy.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Even though he doesn't advance any further, it was cool watching Jeopardy superstar Chuck Forrest compete the other night in the Million Dollar Masters tournament rerun. The guy was a legend.

Good throwback episode tonight with Brad Rutter in the Million Dollar Masters tourney. Went into Final Jeopardy in second place and only won because the lady in first place was a coward and risked nothing despite getting the correct answer. Lucky break. 

This Eric Newhouse was a fascinating contestant. He initially appeared on the show in the eighties when he was about fifteen years old. It was one of those lame teenager tournaments that I hate watching. But this kid was so dominant against his peers. It was like watching Ken Jennings or Brad Holzhauer compete on their own runs. I remember at the time thinking, "I don't care how old this kid is, he can compete right now against adults". I believe he appeared in the Tournament of Champions that year and held his own against people much older than he was. So it's cool watching him compete in this (rerun) tournament as a full-fledged adult. And it's not surprising he did well.

It's a shame Chuck Forrest didn't make the finals. 

• 3 months later...

Jennings is a logical choice to start off.  It brings some continuity with Trebek gone.  I would prefer him as the permanent host.

Of the long list of possible hosts, besides Jennings, I think Levar Burton and Neil deGrasse Tyson would be good choices.  Jennings and Tyson and somewhat political in other fields, but I think would put politics aside enough.  Levar Burton would be a great way to connect to the next generation by having the host of another classic educational TV show grow up with his viewers.

On the other hand, people with political backgrounds would be tainted to me.  Stephanapolous is the first that comes to mind.

I don't hate the idea of Jennings as the host, but I'm not sure I like it either. I guess we'll see how the guest hosting goes. Maybe he'll be a natural fit or another one of the guest hosts will knock their socks off.

I think Jennings will be good. Different, but good. He's got enormous shoes to fill, it'll be quite the challenge for him.

I think Jennings makes sense as a bridge to start the guest hosting. I just don’t think he’ll be the long term solution, or that he will want to do this long term.  Levar actually seems like an interesting idea and has promise as a long term option. 

Levar would have been a great choice.. 10..15 years ago. I think they want to go with a little youth and not have to deal with replacing the host again in less than 10 years. Levar is 63 now. 

My top 3. In no specific order.

Ken Jennings

Conan O'Brien -  His show is ending, and he graduated top of his class at Harvard. Funny, and extremely smart.  57 years old 

Levar Burton - 63 years old but clearly the peoples choice. I would have 0 issues with him taking over. 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:59 AM, What The F said:

Levar would have been a great choice.. 10..15 years ago. I think they want to go with a little youth and not have to deal with replacing the host again in less than 10 years. Levar is 63 now. 

My top 3. In no specific order.

Ken Jennings

Conan O'Brien -  His show is ending, and he graduated top of his class at Harvard. Funny, and extremely smart.  57 years old 

Levar Burton - 63 years old but clearly the peoples choice. I would have 0 issues with him taking over. 

Honestly, the show should just be done.  Trebek was Jeopardy, just like Bob Barker was the Price is Right.  No need to continue milking the cow after it's dry.

I personally know nothing of Jennings, Iraq was my home during his run, so I can't comment about him. 

Conan, his humor/style/demeanor/gimmicks would kill the show IMO.  I can't see him being able to stand there and just stare through someone's soul like the moderator in Billy Madison while telling them they're wrong and stupid. 

Burton (or as someone mentioned Neil De Grasse Tyson) wouldn't be terrible as their style of humor (dry and sarcastic, not over the top), facial expressions, and ability to use tone and projection while at the same time being monotone would at least give you some semblance of a Trebek feel.

Trebek was one of a kind, and if you can't find someone similar it will completely destroy the feel of the show that we've grown to get accustomed to over the past 36 years.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:28 PM, xzmattzx said:

Jennings is a logical choice to start off.  It brings some continuity with Trebek gone.  I would prefer him as the permanent host.

Of the long list of possible hosts, besides Jennings, I think Levar Burton and Neil deGrasse Tyson would be good choices.  Jennings and Tyson and somewhat political in other fields, but I think would put politics aside enough.  Levar Burton would be a great way to connect to the next generation by having the host of another classic educational TV show grow up with his viewers.

On the other hand, people with political backgrounds would be tainted to me.  Stephanapolous is the first that comes to mind.

Did you blink and miss the past 30 years?  When do you think Reading Rainbow happened?  I know the show ran into the 2000's but PBS pretty much died in the mid 90's as a heavily viewed TV network.  It wasn't till youtube became huge that PBS was able to salvage itself sort of with having a platform for it's documentaries and education videos.

You're not connecting anyone to Jeopardy with that connection that's not already connected.  You'd also be hard pressed to find anyone in that 20-25 year old bracket who's going to relate to, or know what Reading Rainbow is if you want to attract the next generation.  Though he is a logical choice.

1 hour ago, Wentz_Era said:

Did you blink and miss the past 30 years?  When do you think Reading Rainbow happened?  I know the show ran into the 2000's but PBS pretty much died in the mid 90's as a heavily viewed TV network.  It wasn't till youtube became huge that PBS was able to salvage itself sort of with having a platform for it's documentaries and education videos.

You're not connecting anyone to Jeopardy with that connection that's not already connected.  You'd also be hard pressed to find anyone in that 20-25 year old bracket who's going to relate to, or know what Reading Rainbow is if you want to attract the next generation.  Though he is a logical choice.

Had a 21 year old who worked for me and grew up watching reading rainbow. I think it's a little more popular and memorable than you're giving credit for, although I don't think it matters who the host is because younger people don't give a damn about jeopardy.