Jeopardy!

FranklinFldEBUpper

39 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Had a 21 year old who worked for me and grew up watching reading rainbow. I think it's a little more popular and memorable than you're giving credit for, although I don't think it matters who the host is because younger people don't give a damn about jeopardy. 

Well obviously there’s some exceptions!  I think it should just end. You can’t replace trebek. 

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

Had a 21 year old who worked for me and grew up watching reading rainbow. I think it's a little more popular and memorable than you're giving credit for, although I don't think it matters who the host is because younger people don't give a damn about jeopardy. 

I’m a 35yo who’s glad that things like reading rainbow, muppets, and Sesame Street are only things I’m aware of but never grew up watching because them sheets look dumb af

34 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I’m a 35yo who’s glad that things like reading rainbow, muppets, and Sesame Street are only things I’m aware of but never grew up watching because them sheets look dumb af

I’m surprised because I’m around your age and the reading rainbow was played in school during lunch when it rained and we couldn’t go outside. 

1 hour ago, Wentz_Era said:

Well obviously there’s some exceptions!  I think it should just end. You can’t replace trebek. 

I’m just saying out of all the 21 year olds I know 100 percent of that 1 person watched it. 

1 hour ago, devpool said:

I loved reading rainbow 

Hmm, seems a bit different from what I remember. I must've got the suburbs version.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, Agent23 said:

Sesame Street was the sheet 

We are way behind and just watched an episode with one of the most annoying contestants in a long time,  Kelly Decker.  On top of being a total spaz, she shouted "Bet it all, David! C’mon!" when her one opponent, who had triple what everyone else had at that time, hit the last daily double.

wk1_0914_0918_decker_home-180x300.png

Needless to say, her finishing in the negative and missing final jeopardy was extremely satisfyingly.  

FJ-Results-9-16-20.jpg

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've always enjoyed Ken Jennings. He's got that funny, quirky kind of personality to go along with his superior knowledge. But I'm not sure yet what to make of him as a host. His voice isn't that commanding. And it seemed to me that he was speaking a bit too rapidly.

First impression was neither overwhelming or underwhelming. Let's see how this develops.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I've always enjoyed Ken Jennings. He's got that funny, quirky kind of personality to go along with his superior knowledge. But I'm not sure yet what to make of him as a host. His voice isn't that commanding. And it seemed to me that he was speaking a bit too rapidly.

First impression was neither overwhelming or underwhelming. Let's see how this develops.

For his first time, I thought he was ok. It was a bit odd just watching something so iconic without the icon. If he stuck to it, I think he would slowly improve over time and make it his own.

• Like 2

We are behind. Like, Mid October behind.  Usually when this happens we binge to catch up.  Not this time  :sad:

On 1/11/2021 at 11:22 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I thought he did pretty well considering the circumstances.  He was clearly a bit nervous and has big shoes to fill.

My one observation is that his voice is not really great for the hosting gig - a bit understated, if you will

3 hours ago, sameaglesfan said:

My one observation is that his voice is not really great for the hosting gig - a bit understated, if you will

Exactly the point I made the instant he started talking on Monday night. He doesn't have that deep voice that screams "game show host." It's more of a pipsqueaky kind of voice. It's the same issue that Tony Romo has faced as a color man on football broadcasts. Romo has that same kind of voice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ken is doing well. He's already better at the interview portion of the show than Alex ever was. Alex's attempts at humorous banter were cringe-worthy. 

Alex Trebek Wardrobe Donated To Homeless Organization For Job Interviews

Fourteen suits, 58 dress shirts, 300 neckties and various other items of clothing that once belonged to Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek have been donated by the show and the Trebek family to The Doe Fund, an organization that provides paid work, housing, vocational training, continuing education, and comprehensive social services to underserved Americans with histories of addiction, homelessness, and incarceration.

At the suggestion of Trebek’s son Matthew Trebek, a supporter of The Doe Fund, the clothing will be distributed to those participating in the organization’s "Ready, Willing and Able” reentry program to be worn on job interviews.

"During his last day on set, Alex extolled the virtues of everyone opening up their hands and their hearts to those who are suffering,” said Mike Richards, Executive Producer, Jeopardy!. "Donating his wardrobe to those who are working to rebuild their lives is the perfect way to begin to honor that last request.”

The garments were packed up by Matthew Trebek and Jeopardy! costumer Steven Zimbelman, and the final inventory was:

• 58 dress shirts
  • 14 suits
  • 300 neckties
  • 25 polo shirts
  • 14 sweaters
  • 9 sports coats
  • 9 pairs of dress shoes
  • 15 belts
  • 2 parkas
  • 3 pairs of dress slacks.

"We are so grateful for Jeopardy! and the Trebek family’s commitment to lifting up the most vulnerable among us,” said Harriet McDonald, President of The Doe Fund. "The men in our career training programs are always in need of professional attire, so they can shine in their job interviews and work with confidence once they’re hired. This donation alleviates the obstacle of not having appropriate clothing.”

Harriet continued, "We understand the enormous loss Matt and Jean are going through, as well as their incredible resilience in the face of hardship. Last week, The Doe Fund’s Founder and President of 35 years, my husband George McDonald, passed away. I’m thankful that George got to see Alex’s suits delivered to the people we serve before he left us. This generous gift honors the legacies of both men, and I know they’re smiling down on us.”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, toolg said:

Sad, so young. What happened to him?

No idea. Parents wouldnt say.  I'm fearing that it may have been suicide.

• 4 weeks later...

Katie Couric sounds like she's talking to a group of five year olds. 

• Haha 1

Some of the questions on the show seem targeted at five year olds.
The ones that aren't ridiculously obscure.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Whoever picked Dr Oz to host should be fired 

I thought he was better than Katie Couric.

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I thought he was better than Katie Couric.

I didn't care for her either, but my parents loved her for some reason. I thought she sounded too much like a kindergarten teacher. 

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I didn't care for her either, but my parents loved her for some reason. I thought she sounded too much like a kindergarten teacher. 

Exactly. Especially when a Daily Double was discovered. "Ooooh...a Daily Double" (like she was talking to a five year old.)

• Haha 1