Jeopardy!

FranklinFldEBUpper

On 10/12/2021 at 6:34 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I suspect that the reasons champions tend to win on the buzzer is that they have more experience with it. I know the newcomers do practice games and all, but it probably just doesn't compare to when there are live bullets flying. I recall Ken Jennings saying that one of his advantages during his run was that he had learned the rhythms of Alex's voice so he was just able to time his buzzer better than his opponents.

Also there's no way the producers would rig against a champion. Big-time champions are good for the show.

So after 38 wins maybe his finger lost half a step... and both of his opponents were quicker on the draw?
And the categories that night? The actor who won sure aced that movie category.

There are ways to rig that game without being illegal or obvious. The choice of categories and placement of daily doubles.
Placing daily doubles in categories that tempt big wagers but when the entry is revealed it's next to impossible to get right.   

And while champions might be good, my guess is Jeopardy fans are pretty faithful and a champ won't change the ratings much either way. But maybe I'm wrong.
On the other hand, with his huge wagers and wins the dude was cleaning out their coffers at lightning speed.

Am I the only one who (as much as I liked him and I liked him a lot) found himself rooting for his opponents more and more?

I actually think they should give the best losers a second chance game, like they occasionally do on Survivor or Big Brother.
Just the rare few who rack up 20-30k then end up with 1 or 2k. 

9 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

So after 38 wins maybe his finger lost half a step... and both of his opponents were quicker on the draw?
And the categories that night? The actor who won sure aced that movie category.

There are ways to rig that game without being illegal or obvious. The choice of categories and placement of daily doubles.
Placing daily doubles in categories that tempt big wagers but when the entry is revealed it's next to impossible to get right.   

And while champions might be good, my guess is Jeopardy fans are pretty faithful and a champ won't change the ratings much either way. But maybe I'm wrong.
On the other hand, with his huge wagers and wins the dude was cleaning out their coffers at lightning speed.

Am I the only one who (as much as I liked him and I liked him a lot) found himself rooting for his opponents more and more?

I actually think they should give the best losers a second chance game, like they occasionally do on Survivor or Big Brother.
Just the rare few who rack up 20-30k then end up with 1 or 2k. 

yeah, man. it's just like fast money on family feud...a real gameshow!  if they throw questions in there that have 1 or 2 obvious answers for big points, you know they're setting that family up for the dub. it's all rigged!!! 

OMG tonight's contestants. A retired army officer who didn't get "footlocker" and Aline who's studying poetry in college.

Answer: No. It really, really doesn’t.

Question: If I got Ken Jennings and Amodio’s last Final Jeopardy! Correct and they got it wrong, then does that mean… ?”

• 1 month later...

She's a very good player. She'll give Matt a challenge in the TOC.

• 3 weeks later...

As God is my witness, I had no clue that Amy was once a dude. 

On 12/25/2021 at 7:44 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

How many beers deep do you usually watch Jeopardy?

• Haha 1

We were very far behind on our Jeopardy's for many reasons but we are catching up and finally less than a month behind.  :groovy: 

On 12/25/2021 at 7:44 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

You fapped to one of her episodes, didn't you?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

40 in a row for Amy. Second longest streak in history.

14 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

40 in a row for Amy. Second longest streak in history.

Its weird she has the longevity but her winnings aren’t that good. Definitely plays more reserved than James and even Matt Amodio. Feels like she hasn’t had any good competition either. 

9 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Its weird she has the longevity but her winnings aren’t that good. Definitely plays more reserved than James and even Matt Amodio. Feels like she hasn’t had any good competition either. 

I think she's getting roughly the same number of answers correct per game. It feels like that, at any rate. But yeah, she's not betting massive amounts like those guys on Daily Doubles. Just $4,000 or so rather than the $15,000 those guys would risk.

What I find fascinating is that she would have lost on her first night if the guy in first place had gotten Final Jeopardy correct. She was actually in second place going in. The guy she beat was a five day champ who could have gone on a long run himself. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a spoiler in the TOC.

I'll root for Matt.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, toolg said:

Jeopardy James weighed in:

It sounds like production is a mess right now.

:roll:

He may not have dethroned Ken, but he was the funniest champion ever.

• Like 1

Back in May we were over 70 episodes behind.  Now we have less than a weeks worth on the dvr :groovy:

15 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

That was an uninspiring way to go out.

That was an admittedly tough one for final Jeopardy. The dude's face when Ken revealed that Amy didn't answer was pretty cool. Just legit shock and confusion, then elation as it began to set in that he broke her streak. Feel bad for her, but cool to see how happy he was to fulfill what I'm sure was a lifelong dream, especially with the odds of dethroning a long running champ stacked against him.

1 hour ago, we_gotta_believe said:

That was an admittedly tough one for final Jeopardy. The dude's face when Ken revealed that Amy didn't answer was pretty cool. Just legit shock and confusion, then elation as it began to set in that he broke her streak. Feel bad for her, but cool to see how happy he was to fulfill what I'm sure was a lifelong dream, especially with the odds of dethroning a long running champ stacked against him.

I figured it out in about ten seconds. It was obviously somewhere in Asia. You just do a quick mental scan across the map.  I was shocked she wasn't able to.

What was surprising was that about halfway through Double Jeopardy, she had a commanding lead. And just like that, the guy gets a Daily Double, bets it all, gets it right, and it gives him a chance to catch her in Final Jeopardy. And he did. It all happened so quickly.

I'd love to see a match with James, Matt, and her.

4 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I figured it out in about ten seconds. It was obviously somewhere in Asia. You just do a quick mental scan across the map.  I was shocked she wasn't able to.

What was surprising was that about halfway through Double Jeopardy, she had a commanding lead. And just like that, the guy gets a Daily Double, bets it all, gets it right, and it gives him a chance to catch her in Final Jeopardy. And he did. It all happened so quickly.

I'd love to see a match with James, Matt, and her.

I struggled with it, and my neighbors are Bengali. I came up with the obvious candidates, India, Brazil, Indonesia, Pakistan, etc, then got stuck trying to think of any other countries in the middle east and Southeast Asia that ended in H.

Finally caught up! :groovy: 

So I'm pretty sure Amy is Ken Jennings in drag.  

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

So it looks like the strongest Tournament of Champions in history is starting this week. Should be great. It features what should probably be considered two of the greatest five players in history (Matt and Amy), as well as several other really strong players. I'll be rooting for Matt Amodio but I suspect his chance of winning is less than 50-50.

Also, Ken Jennings is easily the best of the replacement hosts. He's so smooth and natural up there. Heck, he might even be better than Trebek.