GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants, 11-28-21 1PM EST

EagleJoe8

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ok so at this point... What do we think Sirianni wants his offensive scheme to be? 

I think he is a pro-style passing game coach as his background.  He talks about tailoring what they do to the players they have but I still see him trying to revert to that.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

I'm not thrilled by him, but I think he is limited by both experience and a lack of talent. I was definitely frustrated by that unit for awhile, but they've shown some improvement. I'm not in as big a rush to run him out yet.

Yeah I'd agree. I think both he and Sirianni kind of are an issue though. We've seen some good, we've seen some bad and at this point we still don't really know what we have in either. 

24 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Does this qualify as a Hurtscuse? :fishing:

I said he sucked too. Certainly not excusing his performance at all. 

13 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

What STUD defenses are still out there?  NE? Buffalo? Maybe AZ? GB on the rise, sure.  You're not seeing amazing defenses most likely in the NFC, and we just ran all over the #1 ranked run defense in the NFL last week.

Ain't that the truth.

The defenses don't need to be amazing, just good enough to not let the opposing offense keep pace with your own offense. Do you think the New Orleans game might have ended differently if a 5 years ago Drew Brees and Alvin Kamara were playing? A run heavy team has to have a defense good enough to be sure their run heavy offense never has to play from more than 7 points behind. I know one of the benefits of a a run heavy offense is to keep the the opposing offense off the field. That's fine until you come up against a quick strike offense or one that keeps your slow scoring offense on the sideline.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I'd agree. I think both he and Sirianni kind of are an issue though. We've seen some good, we've seen some bad and at this point we still don't really know what we have in either. 

Agree.  I really am still disappointed in both of them but see some signs of growth and progress.  I wish that Sirianni would go watch the Alabama offense from last year and see how Sark used Smith with all the motion etc.  He is really their only WR and I would prefer to see them feature him more and give Hurts more quick throws.  Also, zero screen game?  ugh.  With this offense all they really do well is run the ball.  They can't afford to get cute and assume a team is going to sell out to stop the run and therefore pass it to "take what the defense gives them". They are a dominant run team so they just need to run the ball.  Sprinkle in Smith with motion in quick game and heavy screens etc.  Use a bit of play action.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's no question in my mind that the offense (today aside) has looked better over the last month. I really wish we had a chance to see it with a better passer, but no question, Siri needs another WR, a battering ram RB in case Howard doesn't stick around, and even if he does, Howard is not the model of good health. Gannon needs help everywhere.

25 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This season has been funny reading the hot takes. 

They beat Atlanta: they're legit!

Lose a few, play bad: season's over, they stink. Cut/fire everyone! 

Win a few, play better: playoffs! Winning the division! 

Lose 1 game, play awful: season's over, they stink. Cut/fire everyone! 

It  is the thinking of the majority of fans, when people say Philadelphia fans are intelligent I laugh, most are idiots, this place proves it

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

There's no question in my mind that the offense (today aside) has looked better over the last month. I really wish we had a chance to see it with a better passer, but no question, Siri needs another WR, a battering ram RB in case Howard doesn't stick around, and even if he does, Howard is not the model of good health. Gannon needs help everywhere.

Yeah and giving up 3 first round picks for wilson would be a disaster

The problem is bud I don't think the offense we have seen is the offense that Sirianni wants to play. I think he wants to throw more (I'm not saying there can't still be balance to that) and he's tailoring things to his QB. Whilst that's admirable and logical to do it doesn't allow us to see that Sirianni can really do. So at this point we still don't know. 

Man every time a watch the Chargers I’m shocked how tall all of their targets really are. All of their guys are on average 6’2”.

14 minutes ago, ThinkGreen said:

Randall Cobb still playing? 

Rodgers lobbied to get him back to Green Bay.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Man every time a watch the Chargers I’m shocked how tall all of their targets really are. All of their guys are on average 6’2”.

Agreed.  And it's easy to forget Keenan Allen is 6'2" since he's like their shortest non-RB target. lol

3 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

I agree. Giving up all 3 picks, or any 3 1st round picks for Wilson, Watson, or Rodgers would be stupid IMO. Mahomes, maybe, and even that would make me give pause. Right now we have 3 picks in the top half of the draft. I can't think of any player I give all that up for without blinking.

4 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

It  is the thinking of the majority of fans, when people say Philadelphia fans are intelligent I laugh, most are idiots, this place proves it

A characterization I hear more often about Philadelphia fans is that they're passionate. I think that's fair.

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Agreed.  And it's easy to forget Keenan Allen is 6'2" since he's like their shortest non-RB target. lol

Then I look at look at our guys and really wonder about some of these height reports. I hope Sirianni let’s Howie know he needs more height out there. 

The problem is bud I don't think the offense we have seen is the offense that Sirianni wants to play. I think he wants to throw more (I'm not saying there can't still be balance to that) and he's tailoring things to his QB. Whilst that's admirable and logical to do it doesn't allow us to see that Sirianni can really do. So at this point we still don't know. 

But if nothing else, it shows he can adapt. Even today, we were throwing too much for what Hurts can handle, and in the 2nd half, we were going back to what had worked.

But if nothing else, it shows he can adapt. Even today, we were throwing too much for what Hurts can handle, and in the 2nd half, we were going back to what had worked.

Yeah it does so that's a tick for him. But we still don't know what his true scheme and philosophy is. 

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That’s about right.  Maybe they thought Hurts was ready for more.  Oops.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah it does so that's a tick for him. But we still don't know what his true scheme and philosophy is. 

Which is why we need to get players for him.

Just now, Miami said:

That’s about right.  Maybe they thought Hurts was ready for more.  Oops.

Hurts will never be ready for more that's the issue. He just isn't that kind of QB.

I wonder if Sirianni would like to throw a little more more than what they have the last few weeks so decided to try it. It didn't work so he reverted. It wouldn't be shocking if he were getting a bit of pressure from upstairs.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

Which is why we need to get players for him.

Yes we need to determine what we have in Sirianni. Which goes back to my point about the issue we have. Through 12 weeks we still don't know. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts will never be ready for more that's the issue. He just isn't that kind of QB.

That may be true.  Just watched Stanford throw a pass that had to be perfect.  Some of Hurt’s throws aren’t even close.  You can see it in Devonta’s eyes too.

Just now, eglz1 said:

I wonder if Sirianni would like to throw a little more more than what they have the last few weeks so decided to try it. It didn't work so he reverted. It wouldn't be shocking if he were getting a bit of pressure from upstairs.

I would imagine any HC would love a great aerial assault. It didn't work earlier in the year putting 80% on the offense on Hurts' arm, and we did a 180 and went to a run heavy attack. I can't know what's in Siri's head, but maybe he wanted to put some more back on Jalen's plate knowing the Giants were down some DBs and the Giants just aren't good. Looks like the ground game is our best shot going forward.

That is a silly comment

I would imagine any HC would love a great aerial assault. It didn't work earlier in the year putting 80% on the offense on Hurts' arm, and we did a 180 and went to a run heavy attack. I can't know what's in Siri's head, but maybe he wanted to put some more back on Jalen's plate knowing the Giants were down some DBs and the Giants just aren't good. Looks like the ground game is our best shot going forward.

I think you're right. There's no way to know except to do it and observe the result. Give Siri credit, he was willing to try and switch back when he didn't get the desired result. Some coaches -- I think I remember we had one -- that once they decided on a course of action they stuck with it no matter the result.

Archived