Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

On 10/5/2022 at 10:23 PM, NOTW said:

I caught up on the the show but didn't have a chance to post thoughts (if anyone cares :lol: ).  

• I now see what everyone meant that it's not like other SW shows.  It's not trying to be a movie scale with a lot of pew-pew and action story wise, but the filmmaking is really well done.  Sets, cinematography, editing, writing, directing and acting is all really good and feels more "grounded" (not sure if that's the best word) than other SW shows.  It has the feel of a show that is taking its time on development for the long haul.  I think the Mandalorian is a lot of fun and I love it, but it could balance out with some of the style of this show a bit more.
  • Finally! A show that doesn't cram score behind every scene. There are a lot of scenes with no score, highlighting the acting and also not assaulting the viewer with a barrage of noise.  Let moments breathe, don't try to tell the dumb audience how to feel by swelling the score before something happens.
  • I like seeing more development of Mon Mothma and her role and how much she risked, and the spy aspect and the careful strategic planning among the large and powerful Empire that is everywhere, rather than something rushed.
  • I like that it's showing more of the "normal" every day life of people in this galaxy apart from the larger Skywalker story.  I've seen some people online say certain parts are boring, but that's what I like about it, the development of the every day things we haven't seen enough of before.  Workers going about their day, how the Empire utilizes a private corporation, the fringe players in the story who are taking action behind the scenes of the larger story.  The sets and acting make it feel like you're getting a good look at what daily life for people was like living under the Empire.
  • The opening scenes in the first episode reminded me of Bladerunner/Philip K Dick vibes in sci-fi that felt different than what we've seen in SW before and that was really cool.

As much as I like it so far, I don't think the rewatchability is as strong as the Mandalorian.  But a show like this could go for multiple seasons in a slow burn to lead up to Rogue One.  Lots of opportunity for small missions, new characters.

Haven't watched yet, so I don't know if this would happen yet, but it would be cool if they expanded it to show multiple time lines and bring in some of the other characters from Rogue One. (the Ersos, Saw Guerrera, Baze and Chirrut - show how K-2SO was reprogrammed, etc.) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Haven't watched yet, so I don't know if this would happen yet, but it would be cool if they expanded it to show multiple time lines and bring in some of the other characters from Rogue One. (the Ersos, Saw Guerrera, Baze and Chirrut - show how K-2SO was reprogrammed, etc.) 

They could certainly pull them in. This is wide open for anything in the time before Rogue One.

Finally caught up on Andor.  Apart from a similar set to Boba Fett and Obi Wan in places, it's a show conceived by adults, written by adults, produced by adults and acted by adults.   And you can tell.  I am glad that a character like Mon Mothma is finally getting some depth on their past. Diego Luna is great too. 

• Like 1

Andor is 12 episodes and imdb has a 2nd season with 12 more episodes listed already. 

3 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

I thought we knew that? She says in that episode of The Mandalorian that she's hunting down Thrawn.

18 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

The eye was amazing! This show is incredible. 

This show has great production from cinematography, sets, score, script. Has a really good look & feel.

37 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I thought we knew that? She says in that episode of The Mandalorian that she's hunting down Thrawn.

He hasn't been confirmed as playing him 

17 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

He hasn't been confirmed as playing him 

Oh i misread that thought it meant having Thrawn as a character. I started drinking early today :lol:

I've waiting for Thrawn to finally arrive as an on film character; so much potential for Disney to waste.  But yeah, looking forward to it

On 10/18/2022 at 8:52 AM, UK Eagle said:

I've waiting for Thrawn to finally arrive as an on film character; so much potential for Disney to waste.  But yeah, looking forward to it

this 

Im on episode 5 of Andor. Its really good so far. I like it better than Boba Fett but its not even close as good as Mandalorian. Andor went a little nuts with the music and needs to be cut back some or turned down.

I really like Andor. I loved last night's episode. I've enjoyed all of the Star Wars shows. They've all been very different. Andor is showing us a different side of the Star Wars universe and I find it really fun to watch. Last night's episode showed a lot of the tyranny of the empire and their tactics. I thought it was extremely well done.

• Like 2

Im late to the party on this one, I started binging it last night and just got caught up. This is a quality show and definitely a breath of fresh air for Star Wars content. It’s interesting to see how the rebellion developed, and all the characters motives into joining the rebellion. I like all the new characters introduced, I’ve always felt this is what Star Wars needed instead of bringing back the famous ones for shock value. I’m curious about the Syril character. I’m really liking Cassian, I’m rewatching Rogue one now because of him.

It would be cool to see Saw Gererra introduced and how he became such a radical. That’s a character I’ve always been really intrigued by and would like to see more of his story. I’m willing to bet he’ll introduced at some point.

20 hours ago, Gannan said:

I really like Andor. I loved last night's episode. I've enjoyed all of the Star Wars shows. They've all been very different. Andor is showing us a different side of the Star Wars universe and I find it really fun to watch. Last night's episode showed a lot of the tyranny of the empire and their tactics. I thought it was extremely well done.

I like the lack of pew, pew, Star Destroyers, Storm Troopers, Rebel base stuff.  They've done it to death recently and not that well either to make it something to go back to.  Andor shows you can also make interesting Star Wars that isn't based around Tattooine.  You can tell it didn't have significant reshoots as other recent Disney programmes have.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, Wormlegs said:

Andor went a little nuts with the music and needs to be cut back some or turned down.

Huh? One thing I've specifically noticed is a quieter score & having a lot of scenes with no music at all, letting scenes breathe & be about the acting.

Was that the first time we've ever seen someone watching TV in the SW universe? A news clip in the beginning of the episode. 

Nice to show something about a character (show don't tell) while also referencing the original. 

The nerdy corporate security guy (had to look up his name Syril Karn) with a mouse droid in his path. He steps aside, showing submission compared to the droid being scared of Chewie in A New Hope.

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Another quality episode…

Yeah, really enjoyed that.  It may not be a ratings pop, but it's worth watching for sure

Diego Luna doing a nice job. Showing a lot with his eyes, expression & reactions as we see things through his POV.

I like them taking their time & developing things. Obi-Wan should've been more episodes and paced better like that.

Started watching the animated shorts Tales of the Jedi.  Created by Filoni and similar to the Clone Wars style.

First one was about Ashoka as a baby and was boring.  Then they go into Dooku as a Jedi before turning dark and it's decent.  The next ones I haven't watched yet are more about Ashoka training with Anakin.

The first one was bland, I thought all the rest were really good. A somber tone to all of them know. Foreboding may be a better word.