Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

Another interesting thing about Andor is getting more of the inner workings of the Empire.  The female Imperial officer trying to make her case and being rewarded for thinking outside the box actually makes you root for her in a way.  The show is more complex than the typical "pew pew" Star Wars.

On 10/31/2022 at 4:14 PM, NOTW said:

Another interesting thing about Andor is getting more of the inner workings of the Empire.  The female Imperial officer trying to make her case and being rewarded for thinking outside the box actually makes you root for her in a way.  The show is more complex than the typical "pew pew" Star Wars.

Lol I have fully enjoyed how aggressively bureaucratic the empire is. It’s like the whole damn empire is run but a bunch of sadistic accountants.  

Imagine if we had been introduced to Star Wars with Andor. Then slowly getting glimpses of the Force, Jedi, and Sith. Something more sinister looming. 

The latest episode of Andor just gently teases more of the story along. It's really a drama in the Star Wars universe, not Star Wars that a lot of people grew up with. I hope Disney see the template that has been laid out and can follow it elsewhere

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:09 PM, UK Eagle said:

The latest episode of Andor just gently teases more of the story along. It's really a drama in the Star Wars universe, not Star Wars that a lot of people grew up with. I hope Disney see the template that has been laid out and can follow it elsewhere

They should have done this with Obi Wan 

Andor - I can’t wait until they start selling the shirts with the built in seatbelt ties for real.

19 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

They should have done this with Obi Wan

Agree. Andor kind of exposes how lazy programs like Obi Wan were from inception to execution. Sadly, it seems Andor's ratings aren't so good, but I can't blame people too much for not watching.

4 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Agree. Andor kind of exposes how lazy programs like Obi Wan were from inception to execution. Sadly, it seems Andor's ratings aren't so good, but I can't blame people too much for not watching.

Partly it's the disappointment in Boba Fett & Obi-Wan shows. Partly it's because fans aren't going to care that much about the backstory on Cassian Andor. 

They should have titled or marketed it differently. The beginning of the rebels, the politics, the impact of the Empire throughout the galaxy. It's a lot more than just the prequel of that one guy from Rogue One.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Partly it's the disappointment in Boba Fett & Obi-Wan shows. Partly it's because fans aren't going to care that much about the backstory on Cassian Andor. 

They should have titled or marketed it differently. The beginning of the rebels, the politics, the impact of the Empire throughout the galaxy. It's a lot more than just the prequel of that one guy from Rogue One.

I said from the get go that Rogue One would have been a perfect series rather than a movie. 

My only problem with Rogue One was the lack of character development. 

Imagine if they were able to have like 2-3 seasons of build up and then release Rogue One as a movie.  It would have been incredible 

To be fair, I wouldn't have remembered that Andor was in Rogue One as I found the movie ok, but not one that would live long in the mind.

For me, Diego Luna is from Narcos and he was bloody good in that, so worth a watch for that alone.

6 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

To be fair, I wouldn't have remembered that Andor was in Rogue One as I found the movie ok, but not one that would live long in the mind.

For me, Diego Luna is from Narcos and he was bloody good in that, so worth a watch for that alone.

It’s funny, I know so many people who love rogue one. For me, I found it fine. Some great moments for sure but a lot of it dragged for me.

Andor, however, has been incredible.

9 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

It’s funny, I know so many people who love rogue one. For me, I found it fine. Some great moments for sure but a lot of it dragged for me.

Same here.  I didn't hate it, but I had a lot of people saying it was 10/10, and it wasn't. But I am glad we get Andor from it.

12 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I loved Rogue One, didn't drag or become boring for me.  In fact one complaint fans made at the time was that it jumped too fast in the beginning from planet to planet before settling into the story.

I agree it could have been a series.  They have been throwing things at the wall all over the timeline to see what sticks, having different writers and creators take control of certain aspects.  

Take for example Tales of the Jedi.  They're made by Filoni and they're good, a continuation of the style of The Clone Wars.  There are references that you wouldn't get if you didn't see The Clone Wars especially about Ashoka.  So for example showing my son the SW content if he were to watch those he would lack context.  They're doing content prequel, sequel and stories that supplement what has been shown before but lacks context if you watch it out of order.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

FB_IMG_1667831043909.thumb.jpg.39853bbeb3d1622f133e569320c78e73.jpg

So it's the dude from Squid Game, the girl from Logan all grown up, Tommen Baratheon and Trinity from The Matrix

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

I loved Rogue One, didn't drag or become boring for me.  In fact one complaint fans made at the time was that it jumped too fast in the beginning from planet to planet before settling into the story.

I agree it could have been a series.  They have been throwing things at the wall all over the timeline to see what sticks, having different writers and creators take control of certain aspects.  

Take for example Tales of the Jedi.  They're made by Filoni and they're good, a continuation of the style of The Clone Wars.  There are references that you wouldn't get if you didn't see The Clone Wars especially about Ashoka.  So for example showing my son the SW content if he were to watch those he would lack context.  They're doing content prequel, sequel and stories that supplement what has been shown before but lacks context if you watch it out of order.

There will people that watched the Mandalorian/Boba Fett and were like, who the eff is that woman and why does she know Luke. Anyone that watched the cartoons, was like, OMG, that's Ashoka.  They need to breadcrumb some of this stuff in a better way

I do hope they start expanding the timeline. I’d love to get out of the confines of episodes 1-9. But I’d also love mandoverse to be fully explored. (Just no more Tatooine, or vespas) It’s a conundrum.

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

For me, until the third act I felt literally no connection to the characters and it just felt like we were just bouncing from scene to scene trying to get to the end of the movie.  I also did like the way the main character was written.  Nothing against the actress, but I felt like Jyn Erso was just sort of dragged through the story and had not real direct impact on the story.  Everything happened to her, she rarely did much to move the plot.  The Plot moved her. Compared to Rey in the force awakens who had an active role in the narrative and whose decisions actively shaped the plot.  Now I'm not saying the Force Awakens was a better movie, but I was more invested in Rey's character than I was Jyn. 

On 11/6/2022 at 10:23 PM, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I haven't watched Rogue One in years because its blah, but I have seen it multiple times and regularly critiqued countless moronic decisions made and just poor choices of actions/events because they needed to get someone from A to B.

Jyn's mom needs to die so they have her pull a gun on a swarm of armed soldiers. The lead soldier there to recruit the dad/husband (aka, detain him) lands their ship like a solid mile away from the house just to create this nonsensical dramatic walk.

Jyn has been off the grid for countless years, yet when she is captured and put in the back of a police vehicle for unrelated reasons, the Rebellion people just randomly know who she is, what truck she is in, out of thousands of habitable planets/moons/etc. across the Star Wars galaxy. Multiple nonsensical things that happen because "reasons" and thats just like the first 10 mins of the damn film. If I watched back through it there's about 2 dozen other comparable things. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:49 AM, Agent23 said:

I haven't watched Rogue One in years because its blah, but I have seen it multiple times and regularly critiqued countless moronic decisions made and just poor choices of actions/events because they needed to get someone from A to B.

Jyn's mom needs to die so they have her pull a gun on a swarm of armed soldiers. The lead soldier there to recruit the dad/husband (aka, detain him) lands their ship like a solid mile away from the house just to create this nonsensical dramatic walk.

Jyn has been off the grid for countless years, yet when she is captured and put in the back of a police vehicle for unrelated reasons, the Rebellion people just randomly know who she is, what truck she is in, out of thousands of habitable planets/moons/etc. across the Star Wars galaxy. Multiple nonsensical things that happen because "reasons" and thats just like the first 10 mins of the damn film. If I watched back through it there's about 2 dozen other comparable things. 

Which is why it would have been much better as a series instead of a movie. 

Even with it's flaws, the plot is still lightyears better than 7/8/9

On ep 9 (last week's) of Andor.  I keep noticing certain camera shots and editing that are nods to the previous movies, nice touch.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:58 AM, 20Safety_Hazards said:

For me, until the third act I felt literally no connection to the characters and it just felt like we were just bouncing from scene to scene trying to get to the end of the movie.  I also did like the way the main character was written.  Nothing against the actress, but I felt like Jyn Erso was just sort of dragged through the story and had not real direct impact on the story.  Everything happened to her, she rarely did much to move the plot.  The Plot moved her. Compared to Rey in the force awakens who had an active role in the narrative and whose decisions actively shaped the plot.  Now I'm not saying the Force Awakens was a better movie, but I was more invested in Rey's character than I was Jyn. 

It's funny, I saw a YouTube video years ago that said the opposite:  Jyn was well written and had clear motivation and growth, while Rey just kind of went along for the ride and faced no challenges and everything came to her easily.  The only "struggle" in her story was wanting to go back to Jakku because she held onto a childish notion that her parents would return for her.  She had no choice but to leave Jakku, then was kidnapped (passive) and then the Force took over and somehow she used Jedi mind tricks and then fought a fully trained dark force user in Kylo Ren and won without ever using a lightsaber before.  She proceeded in the trilogy to face no other challenges, things came easy to her, the one thing they kept using was who her parents were which never really impacted her at all because she continued to defeat the enemy.  At the end of the Empire Strikes Back, Luke has lost to Vader, Han taken by Fett and the rebels have to regroup.  At the end of TLJ, Rey showed up, saved the day and Luke bailed them out.  She didn't face any consequences, no heart breaking loss or struggle.  In fact she went full bad arse against Snoke's guards, handling them easily then showing up to save the rebels.  She faced no challenge.

Jyn was living in the shadow of her father being a traitor to the Republic and working for the Empire but also couldn't handle the extremist Saw and his group.  So she went out on her own and was running from both sides of the fight. When she was confronted with the possibility that her father isn't a traitor but set a trap against the Empire, she regained hope (pun intended) and wanted to find out for herself.  She grew throughout the story from reluctant independent avoiding the fight, to joining the rebellion and stepping up to give a speech to the Rebel leaders to try and inspire them to fight.  Then she co-led the mission and put herself in danger on a suicide mission, was the key to knowing which file to pull because it was code name Stardust, she carried out her father's redemption by seeing the mission completed and clearing his name, proving he was a good guy all along.  In the end she and Andor completed the mission together.  She learned to trust others, work as a team and to give her life for the rebellion that she ran from all those years.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:49 AM, Agent23 said:

If you want to talk about shots in movies that don't make sense but are done for the visual...it's gonna be a long list.  But you can make a case for the ship landing further apart in the beginning as an intimidation tactic, perhaps they had people staying back to scan the area for anyone fleeing or hiding.

I agree Jyn's mom pulling the gun was dumb, there's no way that was going to be successful.  Remember though, they already experienced being "prisoners" by the Empire and being forced to work on the Death Star.  She might have been doing the suicide by cop thing, not wanting to be taken prisoner again and pulling a gun knowing she will be killed but maybe she can take someone out as she does it.

When Jyn is brought to the rebels on Yavin 4, the guy literally reads her info off a tablet. Her fake name, the crimes she committed. When the pilot defected and they knew it was Gaelen (spelling?) Erso they knew of Jyn because they know Saw and his crew. Andor tells her they know she was an associate of Saw. It's explained in the dialogue. They had a former Imperial droid who had access to Imperial files and found her in arrest records and then went to rescue her.  They also have spies & people listening to communications.

A big aspect of this movie was the Force.  We accept that the Force let Luke shoot a bullseye on the Death Star with little force training, that the Force let Rey do all the things masterfully with no training, that Maz Kanata was Force sensitive and guiding Rey, that Rey simply touching Luke's lightsaber "awakened" the Force in her and enabled her to do Jedi things better than even some prequel level Jedi did.  In Rogue One, members of the crew die immediately after their role in the mission is done.  I took that as the Force guided/willed them into the action they needed to complete and things worked out as needed.  

One of the worst plot holes in Rogue One IMO is when Saw has the creature read the pilot's mind to determine if he's lying or not.  He wasn't, but that didn't satisfy Saw it changed nothing.  The movie certainly isn't perfect, none of the SW movies are.  Even The Empire Strikes Back has things you can question - they landed on Hoth far away for a dramatic entrance too instead of just landing closer to the base, for example.

The latest episode is a good one.  A shame that not enough people are watching it, as they are missing out on a good one

• Like 1