Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

1 hour ago, The_Omega said:

And beetle people?  Really?  I was almost embarrassed watching that nonsense.

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

that was ewok level fail. 

They have to cram in little creatures that some fans will think are cute, others think are stupid and also just happen to be right where the hero stumbles and they know exactly what they're looking for and where to find it.  "The Force willed it" I suppose.

21 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

And one last observation, that mutt was for riding. Why the f are you walking?

It tossed her off, then she said screw you I'll walk.  Then it followed her because...it had to lead her to the people that would lead her to the place that would have the person she's looking for.  Obviously.

On 9/22/2023 at 4:31 PM, NOTW said:

They have to cram in little creatures that some fans will think are cute, others think are stupid and also just happen to be right where the hero stumbles and they know exactly what they're looking for and where to find it.  "The Force willed it" I suppose.

my first reaction was probably a bit strong, it's not like they took out a garrison of the emperor's best men to take out the shield generator for the fully operational 2nd death star.  

• Haha 1

Nothing like walking talking MacGuffins to move things along. Better than a dagger driven google map to Exegol I suppose. Disney annoys me.

18 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Nothing like walking talking MacGuffins to move things along. Better than a dagger driven google map to Exegol I suppose. Disney annoys me.

Someone explained to me what a MacGuffin was last week (I was totally clueless).  It's a recent Star Wars thing isn't it?

Just now, UK Eagle said:

Someone explained to me what a MacGuffin was last week (I was totally clueless).  It's a recent Star Wars thing isn't it?

It's not exclusive to Star Wars. It's a term in film making of an object or person that magically or forcefully drives the plot forward. Usually it's a far too convenient item or person that's thrown in and viewed as an indicator of lazy story telling. So not just Star Wars.

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

It's not exclusive to Star Wars. It's a term in film making of an object or person that magically or forcefully drives the plot forward. Usually it's a far too convenient item or person that's thrown in and viewed as an indicator of lazy story telling. So not just Star Wars.

Oh absolutely.  It was just the example used in the conversation - the last movie with the map, etc. 

They may well have ruined some films for me now

2 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

"an object or device in a movie or a book that serves merely as a trigger for the plot."

What is an example of a MacGuffin?

It can be a goal, person, object, or idea the characters are in pursuit of, and it generally needs to be revealed in the first act. Typically, a MacGuffin will not have any identity of its own, and it can be interchangeable. For example, Pulp Fiction has the shining briefcase, but the briefcase could've been anything.

The Pulp Fiction example is a great one.  They never say what's in the briefcase and fans speculate but it didn't matter.  It was a thing the boss wanted and a device to move the plot forward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Oh absolutely.  It was just the example used in the conversation - the last movie with the map, etc. 

They may well have ruined some films for me now

It's not always bad and you need conflict to drive story.  Various types of movies use it.

• Indiana Jones: need to retrieve the artifact and follow clues
  • Mission Impossible: need to track down the item to lead you to the person to get the final item
  • Even comedies in a simple concept like Superbad: have to get alcohol for the party to impress the girl.  But you need to get an ID, so you need to go see the person to get you the ID, etc.

A New Hope has it:  the stolen plans are a MacGuffin the characters chase the whole movie, which is the key to destroying the Death Star.  It takes them from Leia to R2 to Luke to Obi-Wan to Han & Chewie to the Death Star and Vader then back to the Rebels to attack the Death Star.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

"an object or device in a movie or a book that serves merely as a trigger for the plot."

What is an example of a MacGuffin?

The Pulp Fiction example is a great one.  They never say what's in the briefcase and fans speculate but it didn't matter.  It was a thing the boss wanted and a device to move the plot forward.

The case in Pulp Fiction and the envelope full of cash in the original Psycho are the best ones I can think of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gannan said:

The case in Pulp Fiction and the envelope full of cash in the original Psycho are the best ones I can think of.

And if The Rise of Skywalker used that as a plot device it would be fine, but they overdid it.  

Kylo Ren: Go to a place to get a thing to lead you to another place to find a person and that person tells you to go to another place to get a person to bring to him so he can do the next thing.

The good guys: go to a place to find a thing, bump into a person who happens to know where the thing is (and coincidentally you'll need that person later).  Go to that place to find the thing that has the clue you can't read so you go to another place to find the person that can read the thing and tell you that it says to go to another place to find the other thing.  You get to the place and use the thing to find another place where another thing is then you use the thing to go to the last place to get the person to defeat.

Chat GPT could've written a better script.  In fact I might ask it to do that :lol:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Chat GPT could've written a better script.  In fact I might ask it to do that :lol:

Well...

My prompt: Write a 3 paragraph summary for a different sequel to Star Wars Return of the Jedi

Title: Star Wars: Rise of the New Order

In the sequel to Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, titled "Star Wars: Rise of the New Order," the galaxy is once again plunged into chaos. Several decades after the fall of the Galactic Empire, a new threat emerges in the form of a powerful Sith cult known as the "Cult of the Eternal Dark." Led by a mysterious Sith Lord, they seek to resurrect the Sith Empire and restore the rule of the Dark Side. The New Republic, struggling to maintain peace and unity, faces its greatest challenge yet.

Amidst this turmoil, the original heroes of the Rebel Alliance, including Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo, are forced out of retirement. They are joined by a new generation of heroes, including Jedi apprentices trained by Luke and the descendants of iconic characters. Together, they must confront their past, forge new alliances, and unlock the secrets of the Force to prevent the Cult of the Eternal Dark from plunging the galaxy into eternal darkness. "Rise of the New Order" promises thrilling lightsaber battles, epic space battles, and a deep exploration of the enduring legacy of the Force in the Star Wars universe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wanted to see if it would add more detail or just fluff so I asked for 6 paragraphs.

Title: Star Wars: Legacy of the Force

"Star Wars: Legacy of the Force" picks up the story several decades after the events of "Return of the Jedi." The New Republic has been established as a thriving government, and the galaxy is enjoying a period of relative peace. However, the remnants of the Sith Order, thought to be defeated, resurface with a new dark leader, Darth Malice. Darth Malice seeks to harness ancient Sith secrets to reclaim power and impose a new reign of terror upon the galaxy.

Amidst this resurgence of the Sith, the original heroes of the Rebel Alliance, including Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, are faced with a new challenge. They have become legendary figures, but their knowledge of the Force has been passed down to a new generation of Jedi, including Ben Skywalker, the son of Luke and Mara Jade, and Jaina Solo, the daughter of Han and Leia. The new Jedi must confront not only the external threat of the Sith but also the internal struggles and doubts that come with their legacy.

As the conflict escalates, the galaxy is once again plunged into chaos. Planets are torn between allegiance to the New Republic and the Sith, and the Jedi are caught in the middle. "Legacy of the Force" explores themes of family, legacy, and the enduring struggle between light and dark. The sequel promises intense lightsaber battles, intricate political intrigue, and a deep exploration of the moral dilemmas faced by the new generation of Jedi as they strive to protect the galaxy and honor the legacy of the Force.

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

It's not always bad and you need conflict to drive story.  Various types of movies use it.

• Indiana Jones: need to retrieve the artifact and follow clues
  • Mission Impossible: need to track down the item to lead you to the person to get the final item
  • Even comedies in a simple concept like Superbad: have to get alcohol for the party to impress the girl.  But you need to get an ID, so you need to go see the person to get you the ID, etc.

A New Hope has it:  the stolen plans are a MacGuffin the characters chase the whole movie, which is the key to destroying the Death Star.  It takes them from Leia to R2 to Luke to Obi-Wan to Han & Chewie to the Death Star and Vader then back to the Rebels to attack the Death Star.

Makes sense, but I guess one of things that can be overused or reached by lazy writers/directors to push a story along.

And that is why Hollywood fears AI. Can create a good story without the need for a writers room and a lot more cheaper too.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Well...

My prompt: Write a 3 paragraph summary for a different sequel to Star Wars Return of the Jedi

Title: Star Wars: Rise of the New Order

In the sequel to Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, titled "Star Wars: Rise of the New Order," the galaxy is once again plunged into chaos. Several decades after the fall of the Galactic Empire, a new threat emerges in the form of a powerful Sith cult known as the "Cult of the Eternal Dark." Led by a mysterious Sith Lord, they seek to resurrect the Sith Empire and restore the rule of the Dark Side. The New Republic, struggling to maintain peace and unity, faces its greatest challenge yet.

Amidst this turmoil, the original heroes of the Rebel Alliance, including Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo, are forced out of retirement. They are joined by a new generation of heroes, including Jedi apprentices trained by Luke and the descendants of iconic characters. Together, they must confront their past, forge new alliances, and unlock the secrets of the Force to prevent the Cult of the Eternal Dark from plunging the galaxy into eternal darkness. "Rise of the New Order" promises thrilling lightsaber battles, epic space battles, and a deep exploration of the enduring legacy of the Force in the Star Wars universe.

Its actually better than TFA :lol:

• Haha 1

Kinda surprised by the reactions to Ahsoka in here, I’ve loved it so far. Was nervous it was going to be like Obi Wan or BOBF & not do right by a great SW character, but it’s been fantastic. 

I will also make it known I am a huge fan of  the beetle people 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/29/2023 at 10:45 PM, iladelphxx said:

FB_IMG_1696041900889.jpg

Oh but if she didn’t have the goggles on there’d be fire and brimstone that they got her costume wrong, lol.

The Acolyte Trailer leaked briefly yesterday:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/10/02/leaked-the-acolyte-trailer-declares-this-isnt-about-good-or-bad-its-about-power-and-whos-allowed-to-use-it/

Yuck on some of the details (Yay from the Trader Federation coming back).  This one peaked my interest

Not only did Headland confirm the show will be a commentary on current American society, culture, and politics, but she seemed to imply the focus of the show being on female villains are self-inserts.

"When I was a young queer girl, I was just hanging out with Ursula the sea witch [from The Little Mermaid],” she told the outlet. "As a queer girl growing up, if you don’t identify with the heroes, and the villains show up and they’re all queer-coded, you’re like — yes, that’s me!”

Headland added, "As a queer filmmaker, you’re gonna see some camp. Inevitably! But I would say that tonally, our references are darker."

file.php?id=3383628

54 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

The Acolyte Trailer leaked briefly yesterday:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/10/02/leaked-the-acolyte-trailer-declares-this-isnt-about-good-or-bad-its-about-power-and-whos-allowed-to-use-it/

Yuck on some of the details (Yay from the Trader Federation coming back).  This one peaked my interest

Not only did Headland confirm the show will be a commentary on current American society, culture, and politics, but she seemed to imply the focus of the show being on female villains are self-inserts.

"When I was a young queer girl, I was just hanging out with Ursula the sea witch [from The Little Mermaid],” she told the outlet. "As a queer girl growing up, if you don’t identify with the heroes, and the villains show up and they’re all queer-coded, you’re like — yes, that’s me!”

Headland added, "As a queer filmmaker, you’re gonna see some camp. Inevitably! But I would say that tonally, our references are darker."

file.php?id=3383628

Yeah the one actress said Star Wars has always been about the patriarchy and its time for women. Mkay

overall, a good season. even with the warts. 

going into next season;

Spoiler

im sure ahsoka and sabine will come across some other being that will lead them home after sabine defeats shin hati.

i guess they will recast the role of baylan skoll as he looks to find mortis. 

do we see more of the sisterhood and even the brotherhood on darthomir ?