Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

1 hour ago, Weaponx01 said:

The last two episodes should have surely alleviated a bunch of y’all’s concerns, right?

Shhhhhhhh. haven't watched this week's episode yet. had to watch the kelce doc. 

Again, I really want to like this show.  I have always liked the Ashoka character.  It mostly gets the SW look and feel correct, it is a good live action adaptation of the Rebels characters (I mostly didn't like that show though).  It is paying tribute to The Clone Wars TV show as well and has some nostalgia.  It's like a recipe with the right ingredients but something about the execution just isn't there for me, I don't know.  I like it, I just don't love it.  I'm not wowed.  I see some fans going nuts over it, saying they're crying and in awe.  

I enjoyed the Mandalorian and Andor much more.  Maybe it's a bit of SW fatique, maybe it's them producing content all over the timeline.  Maybe it's partly that they keep making scenes in flashbacks that are better than what we had the first time around (additional scenes from Order 66 and the Jedi Temple from previous shows they've done, Anakin before turning to Vader in Obi-Wan was better than in the prequel movies).  It seems a lot of the new content keeps trying to make up for things fans didn't like in the prequels and sequels.  Mando season 2 gave us a powerful Luke kicking ass, Rogue One gave us a truly terrifying Vader for a few minutes.  Even if these scenes are good, they remind us of other projects that were disappointing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Again, I really want to like this show.  I have always liked the Ashoka character.  It mostly gets the SW look and feel correct, it is a good live action adaptation of the Rebels characters (I mostly didn't like that show though).  It is paying tribute to The Clone Wars TV show as well and has some nostalgia.  It's like a recipe with the right ingredients but something about the execution just isn't there for me, I don't know.  I like it, I just don't love it.  I'm not wowed.  I see some fans going nuts over it, saying they're crying and in awe.  

I enjoyed the Mandalorian and Andor much more.  Maybe it's a bit of SW fatique, maybe it's them producing content all over the timeline.  Maybe it's partly that they keep making scenes in flashbacks that are better than what we had the first time around (additional scenes from Order 66 and the Jedi Temple from previous shows they've done, Anakin before turning to Vader in Obi-Wan was better than in the prequel movies).  It seems a lot of the new content keeps trying to make up for things fans didn't like in the prequels and sequels.  Mando season 2 gave us a powerful Luke kicking ass, Rogue One gave us a truly terrifying Vader for a few minutes.  Even if these scenes are good, they remind us of other projects that were disappointing.

My biggest problem about most of these newer movies/shows is that it is diminishing the original trilogy.

That's my biggest beef about Ray....   So is she the chosen one?   Anakain was just a random guy?   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

My biggest problem about most of these newer movies/shows is that it is diminishing the original trilogy.

That's my biggest beef about Ray....   So is she the chosen one?   Anakain was just a random guy?   

No, Anakin was the chosen one who had to be brought back to the light by his son.  But also some fans argue that the Jedi were believing a prophecy yet some argued in the prequel trilogy about that. Yoda said things were cloudy or prophecies can be misread.  Mace didn't seem to buy into it.  Other content and fan theories have talked about balance in the force meaning if dark side people show up, the force will bring light side people to balance it out.

One of the things I liked in The Last Jedi was Luke looking back on the history and trying to learn from the Jedi's mistakes.  It's why he and Ahsoka connecting would be more compelling.  Student and Son of Anakin.  Both examining that the Jedi lost their way and having thoughts about how to rebuild it a different way.  Luke also didn't have the same type of rigorous training to experiences with other Jedi the way Ahsoka did so he could learn from her as well. 

11 minutes ago, NOTW said:

No, Anakin was the chosen one who had to be brought back to the light by his son.  But also some fans argue that the Jedi were believing a prophecy yet some argued in the prequel trilogy about that. Yoda said things were cloudy or prophecies can be misread.  Mace didn't seem to buy into it.  Other content and fan theories have talked about balance in the force meaning if dark side people show up, the force will bring light side people to balance it out.

One of the things I liked in The Last Jedi was Luke looking back on the history and trying to learn from the Jedi's mistakes.  It's why he and Ahsoka connecting would be more compelling.  Student and Son of Anakin.  Both examining that the Jedi lost their way and having thoughts about how to rebuild it a different way.  Luke also didn't have the same type of rigorous training to experiences with other Jedi the way Ahsoka did so he could learn from her as well. 

That counts as ruining the original trilogy.....    Even Episodes 1-3 have that problem

The Anakin they've presented in the Obi-Wan show and this is very different than the one Hayden played in the prequels.  Hayden's still a bad actor, but this is at least better.  The Clone Wars Anakin was also better.  Anakin in these new shows is being presented as a good leader, sharing wisdom and more confident.  

I get that Lucas wanted him to be an angsty teen in ep 2 and then grown up by ep 3, but it didn't work.  He should have been discovered as a teen to begin with and already displayed power in the force, and walking the line of the dark side the entire time.  So as with other things, retconning his character now doesn't quite fit in relation to the previous movies.

• Like 4

There was at least a reference to the OG characters in the recent episode:

Spoiler

A character said "Senator Organa" wouldn't allow a certain order (I forget the exact line).  So at least they acknowledge she exists.  :lol:

On 9/15/2023 at 7:38 PM, NOTW said:

The Anakin they've presented in the Obi-Wan show and this is very different than the one Hayden played in the prequels.  Hayden's still a bad actor, but this is at least better.  The Clone Wars Anakin was also better.  Anakin in these new shows is being presented as a good leader, sharing wisdom and more confident.  

I get that Lucas wanted him to be an angsty teen in ep 2 and then grown up by ep 3, but it didn't work.  He should have been discovered as a teen to begin with and already displayed power in the force, and walking the line of the dark side the entire time.  So as with other things, retconning his character now doesn't quite fit in relation to the previous movies.

I suspect they hope most people won't remember the retconning - it helps having such a mess on the whole timeline as very few people can actually keep track of what happened and when

On 9/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, NOTW said:

what movies ? they don't exist. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

I see Filoni is still inflicting space whales on Star Wars.  Why aren't they using a Jedi trance or nav maps to navigate through the hyper space between galaxies?  Makes more sense.

Thoughts on this week's episode.

• Spoiler
    • Ahsoka was not in it.  Another SW show where the title character is not really the main character with lots of screen time.  
    • I like Sabine's action sequences when she's using her Mandalorian weapons and also lightsaber.  The history of the Mandalorians and Jedi being against each other makes her interesting (as they touched on in Rebels), bridging both worlds.  I will be interested to see her interact with Din Djarin, Bo Katan and the other Mandalorians when they bring these show characters together in a final movie.
    • Baylan is at least interesting; he still has respect and love for what he thought the Jedi Order was supposed to be (a common theme with Ashoka and even Luke in The Last Jedi), he doesn't hate Jedi, he even respects Ahsoka.  Previously he said it would be a shame to kill her there are so few Jedi left.  In this episode he has love for his experience training at the Jedi temple but not for everything the Jedi Order ended up doing.  That's better than just having a dark force user who is all evil and hates the Jedi.  There's more nuance.
    • Ezra: ugh.  First of all I never liked him at all in Rebels.  I don't get why any fans liked him so much.  I saw fans on social media saying they were "sobbing" and "crying the entire time."  What?  He looked like a hippie which is fine he's been out in the wilderness.  But nothing gave off the vibe of a powerful Jedi.  Maybe that will come.  But their reunion was so dumb.  If they haven't seen each other in years and he was thought dead, they should be super excited and emotional.  They acted so casual and calm.  It was unrealistic and should have been a very emotional moment.  But they acted like they hadn't seen each other for only a week.
    • The group that attacked Sabine in the red costumes; when Baylan and Shin show up and are standing among their dead bodies, then more of their people are up on the ridge staring at them it was another poor moment.  They would assume those 2 killed their people and should be attacking them.  Baylan says the enemy of our enemy is our friend, great.  But those people don't know that.  Are they staying back for fear they will be killed as well?  
    • Thrawn looked like an Accounting nerd with blue face paint.  He looked more evil in the Rebels cartoon and drawings from the books.  His on screen moment wasn't the wow factor it should have been.  He wasn't terrifying or commanding.  Someone said he looked like Data from Star Trek with blue face. 
    • Thrawn and an army of storm troopers couldn't find Ezra, but Sabine finds him in half a day by lucking into finding some creatures that happen to know him.  At the end of Rebels, Thrawn was angry and obsessed with killing Ezra.  He would have wanted to hunt him down and kill him.  Instead he's like meh, he's probably out there.  They said his plan was to let Sabine find him, then Baylan and Shin kill them both.  With his army he could have absolutely found Ezra and killed him.  Dumb.
    • The space whales.  It was dumb in a cartoon, even dumber in the live action.  Put that up there with midichlorians, and space horses they rode in The Rise of Skywalker.  Just silly.
    • They're setting up a final movie to connect the TV shows and Luke has already been in Mando and Boba Fett.  Now this show has 3 Jedi and 2 dark Jedi, they can't keep running on the excuse that Luke is more concerned with hanging out with droids and building a new Jedi school...when there are literally Jedi alive that he should be connecting with, and dark Jedi he should be taking out.  

My concern with Thrawn is he's a very detailed strategist in the EU, so that version wouldn't shrug shoulders on Ezra.  And reading the above, makes me concerned he'll be just another bad guy to overcome - wasted potential comes to mind.

Why didn't they just pay to adapt Heir to the Empire?  Even it meant adding in Ashoka, etc as at least the overall arc would make sense

i think there is more to Ezra. i still think he is going to turn or already has (he had numerous moments of temptation in rebels) and is being allowed to enter back into the new republic ranks. thrawn was always steps ahead of the republic strategy wise. not sure how the books were, but in rebels, the only reason thrawn lost a battle as the result of an officer under his command disobeying an order. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i think there is more to Ezra. i still think he is going to turn or already has (he had numerous moments of temptation in rebels) and is being allowed to enter back into the new republic ranks. thrawn was always steps ahead of the republic strategy wise. not sure how the books were, but in rebels, the only reason thrawn lost a battle as the result of an officer under his command disobeying an order. 

That would at least be interesting.  But Filoni LOVES his Rebels characters.  There are fans on social media saying Ezra was their favorite and they loved seeing him.  They'll probably play it safe.  They've said these shows will culminate in a movie to end this era that will somehow set up or lead into the sequel trilogy.  They will need to find a reason that Ahsoka, Sabine and Ezra are not around. And Jaycen who is a force sensitive guy, Kanan's son.  Because right now, Luke has 3 known Jedi and a force sensitive son of a Jedi he could use as the starting basis of a new Jedi Academy.  It would be hard to retcon that they were part of the Jedi Academy that fell from the Knights of Ren attacking it.

44 minutes ago, NOTW said:

That would at least be interesting.  But Filoni LOVES his Rebels characters.  There are fans on social media saying Ezra was their favorite and they loved seeing him.  They'll probably play it safe.  They've said these shows will culminate in a movie to end this era that will somehow set up or lead into the sequel trilogy.  They will need to find a reason that Ahsoka, Sabine and Ezra are not around. And Jaycen who is a force sensitive guy, Kanan's son.  Because right now, Luke has 3 known Jedi and a force sensitive son of a Jedi he could use as the starting basis of a new Jedi Academy.  It would be hard to retcon that they were part of the Jedi Academy that fell from the Knights of Ren attacking it.

yeah he does, but it would make for a better storyline with erza or thrawn being turned into snoke by palpatine. 

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

This channel appeared on my YouTube feed the other day.  Those Ezra fans are likely these individuals

58 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

This channel appeared on my YouTube feed the other day.  Those Ezra fans are likely these individuals

I couldn't get past 90 seconds of that video.  These are the people that call fans "toxic" if they don't love everything and lap it up with no critique.

I think you guys are being a bit too harsh on Ahsoka the show, but a lot of those people are nuts. But their channels are reaction channels so they have to be that way to keep people that watch them, watching them. 

I wouldn’t sell Thrawn short just yet. He’s only had a few minutes of screen time. I think he’s fully planning on leaving before anyone with a lightsaber returns. You saw how put off he was about the news at the end. That tells me he’s not shrugging off Ezra, just trying to leave him behind. I mean y’all hate Ezra and he’s only been in Rebels, imagine living with him for 15 years after he shipwrecked you in a graveyard a galaxy away. 

The Luke thing - I mean, I don’t know where all of the planets are, but it’s a huge galaxy. We don’t know what he and Ahsoka talked about in BoBF, maybe she tried to recruit him and he said no. I think they should have shown that if it happened, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility. And they could still clarify it with one sentence of dialogue. But he can’t be the answer to every problem or else no one would care. 

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

I couldn't get past 90 seconds of that video.  These are the people that call fans "toxic" if they don't love everything and lap it up with no critique.

It's why I shared it.  It's way too fan boy/girl ish - it's those sort of people that made me realise I was a different type of Star Wars fan.  If they are happy and enjoy it, good for them.

14 hours ago, Weaponx01 said:

I think you guys are being a bit too harsh on Ahsoka the show, but a lot of those people are nuts. But their channels are reaction channels so they have to be that way to keep people that watch them, watching them. 

I wouldn’t sell Thrawn short just yet. He’s only had a few minutes of screen time. I think he’s fully planning on leaving before anyone with a lightsaber returns. You saw how put off he was about the news at the end. That tells me he’s not shrugging off Ezra, just trying to leave him behind. I mean y’all hate Ezra and he’s only been in Rebels, imagine living with him for 15 years after he shipwrecked you in a graveyard a galaxy away. 

The Luke thing - I mean, I don’t know where all of the planets are, but it’s a huge galaxy. We don’t know what he and Ahsoka talked about in BoBF, maybe she tried to recruit him and he said no. I think they should have shown that if it happened, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility. And they could still clarify it with one sentence of dialogue. But he can’t be the answer to every problem or else no one would care. 

I get the model.

Luke is most definitely not the pivot for Star Wars as an IP, but the flip side is they've made Ahsoka such a key part of the prequel timeline towards a New Hope, that if Luke was creating a new Jedi Order, she'd know of him, the Rebel movement etc. Especially being so close to Anakin. 

You are right, they could easily clean it up, but they haven't.

17 hours ago, Weaponx01 said:

i am actually enjoying the show. sure, there have been some hiccups, but overall, it's been a good watch IMO. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:53 AM, NOTW said:

Thoughts on this week's episode.

•   Hide contents
    • Ahsoka was not in it.  Another SW show where the title character is not really the main character with lots of screen time.  
    • I like Sabine's action sequences when she's using her Mandalorian weapons and also lightsaber.  The history of the Mandalorians and Jedi being against each other makes her interesting (as they touched on in Rebels), bridging both worlds.  I will be interested to see her interact with Din Djarin, Bo Katan and the other Mandalorians when they bring these show characters together in a final movie.
    • Baylan is at least interesting; he still has respect and love for what he thought the Jedi Order was supposed to be (a common theme with Ashoka and even Luke in The Last Jedi), he doesn't hate Jedi, he even respects Ahsoka.  Previously he said it would be a shame to kill her there are so few Jedi left.  In this episode he has love for his experience training at the Jedi temple but not for everything the Jedi Order ended up doing.  That's better than just having a dark force user who is all evil and hates the Jedi.  There's more nuance.
    • Ezra: ugh.  First of all I never liked him at all in Rebels.  I don't get why any fans liked him so much.  I saw fans on social media saying they were "sobbing" and "crying the entire time."  What?  He looked like a hippie which is fine he's been out in the wilderness.  But nothing gave off the vibe of a powerful Jedi.  Maybe that will come.  But their reunion was so dumb.  If they haven't seen each other in years and he was thought dead, they should be super excited and emotional.  They acted so casual and calm.  It was unrealistic and should have been a very emotional moment.  But they acted like they hadn't seen each other for only a week.
    • The group that attacked Sabine in the red costumes; when Baylan and Shin show up and are standing among their dead bodies, then more of their people are up on the ridge staring at them it was another poor moment.  They would assume those 2 killed their people and should be attacking them.  Baylan says the enemy of our enemy is our friend, great.  But those people don't know that.  Are they staying back for fear they will be killed as well?  
    • Thrawn looked like an Accounting nerd with blue face paint.  He looked more evil in the Rebels cartoon and drawings from the books.  His on screen moment wasn't the wow factor it should have been.  He wasn't terrifying or commanding.  Someone said he looked like Data from Star Trek with blue face. 
    • Thrawn and an army of storm troopers couldn't find Ezra, but Sabine finds him in half a day by lucking into finding some creatures that happen to know him.  At the end of Rebels, Thrawn was angry and obsessed with killing Ezra.  He would have wanted to hunt him down and kill him.  Instead he's like meh, he's probably out there.  They said his plan was to let Sabine find him, then Baylan and Shin kill them both.  With his army he could have absolutely found Ezra and killed him.  Dumb.
    • The space whales.  It was dumb in a cartoon, even dumber in the live action.  Put that up there with midichlorians, and space horses they rode in The Rise of Skywalker.  Just silly.
    • They're setting up a final movie to connect the TV shows and Luke has already been in Mando and Boba Fett.  Now this show has 3 Jedi and 2 dark Jedi, they can't keep running on the excuse that Luke is more concerned with hanging out with droids and building a new Jedi school...when there are literally Jedi alive that he should be connecting with, and dark Jedi he should be taking out.  

I actually thought it was the same actor who played Data from Star Trek. He looked that much like Data.

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:04 PM, NOTW said:

They will need to find a reason that Ahsoka, Sabine and Ezra are not around. 

That's easy, they were accidentally digested by the Space Sqwhale on the trip back.  Apparently, Sabine is the new Jar Jar.  Every decision she makes is obviously wrong and has horrific consequences.  The galaxy would be better off if she gets stranded (or digested).  I haven't watched a second of Rebels, but I thought Thrawn a pretty good bad guy.  I'll give them more time to develop him.  And beetle people?  Really?  I was almost embarrassed watching that nonsense.

11 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

That's easy, they were accidentally digested by the Space Sqwhale on the trip back.  Apparently, Sabine is the new Jar Jar.  Every decision she makes is obviously wrong and has horrific consequences.  The galaxy would be better off if she gets stranded (or digested).  I haven't watched a second of Rebels, but I thought Thrawn a pretty good bad guy.  I'll give them more time to develop him.  And beetle people?  Really?  I was almost embarrassed watching that nonsense.

that was ewok level fail.