Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

3 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

The race for a female Luke unfortunately caused Disney a whole bunch of issues that anyone with a brain could have foreseen. Stuff like Mando leading to the Rey films would have been clever and having a firm plan for Rey's parents baked in could have been a nice reveal across those films.  They made Order 66 go from badass to vaguely incompetent now we keep seeing how many Jedi are in the Galaxy.

Force Ghost stuff is so obvious, I can't believe they haven't retconned it with the actors to at least attempt to clean their lack of continuity up - but by doing it, they'd have to admit they made a mistake and there was no plan as claimed. It's sad they took something simple, over complicated it and won't attempt to make it make sense. 

The EUs post ROTJ work is still Sykwalker centric, but expands the scope enough to not make them a bottle neck to the story.  Rogue Squadron should be great, but they can't do it any more because of the last 3 films

I actually don't think they're afraid to admit mistakes, in ep 9 The Rise of Skywalker they basically changed course because of the reaction to The Last Jedi.  They changed from Rey's parents are no one to she's Palpatine's granddaughter, brought him back "Somehow, Palpatine returned." They had Luke mock himself for tossing the lightsaber away, etc.

Either they think fans don't care and will just consume the new content or they are so caught up in the details of what they're creating they're missing some connecting links that would be easy to avoid plot holes.  

The fact that they have to dance around explanations of plot holes they create means they're not putting the proper thought into it...the biggest franchise in film history.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

I actually don't think they're afraid to admit mistakes, in ep 9 The Rise of Skywalker they basically changed course because of the reaction to The Last Jedi.  They changed from Rey's parents are no one to she's Palpatine's granddaughter, brought him back "Somehow, Palpatine returned." They had Luke mock himself for tossing the lightsaber away, etc.

Either they think fans don't care and will just consume the new content or they are so caught up in the details of what they're creating they're missing some connecting links that would be easy to avoid plot holes.  

The fact that they have to dance around explanations of plot holes they create means they're not putting the proper thought into it...the biggest franchise in film history.

I don't think Disney/Lucasfilm are organised enough to plan and Riain Johnson screwed the pooch with his film. I kind of assume the Palpatine stuff was silly nostalgia baiting because they had no way to end the trilogy.

The lack of Finn having a proper story in the last trilogy was sad.  Character had such potential

Ep 4 was at least better, but some clunky/awkward character moments that were meant to be intense.

They're presenting a VERY stoic Ahsoka I guess because she's older & wiser, but it's mostly stale. She should be more energetic & sassy like she was in the cartoons. Dawson looks like she's sleep walking through the performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Ep 4 was at least better, but some clunky/awkward character moments that were meant to be intense.

They're presenting a VERY stoic Ahsoka I guess because she's older & wiser, but it's mostly stale. She should be more energetic & sassy like she was in the cartoons. Dawson looks like she's sleep walking through the performance. 

Spoiler

also, suddenly ahsoka, who has bested maul and handled herself against darth vader, gets beat by a character (baylan skoll) that nobody has heard of before this series. unless i missed him by not reading the canon book series. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:
  Hide contents

also, suddenly ahsoka, who has bested maul and handled herself against darth vader, gets beat by a character (baylan skoll) that nobody has heard of before this series. unless i missed him by not reading the canon book series. 

You are correct,

Spoiler

Baylan is a new character.  I looked him up because he is an order 66 survivor, curious if he and his padawan were in some other content.  They are both new to this show.

You're also right in that she beat Maul and held her own with Vader.  With Morgan in that Mandalorian episode she sparred with her for a bit.  She fought the Inquisitor in a previous episode in this show and then this time sparred with him for a bit until she easily defeated his attack.  I don't have a problem with her being a bit evenly matched with Baylan if he's more experienced and was originally trained by the Jedi before Order 66.  They can't have her so powerful that she takes everyone down easily or else there would be no real threat and she'd solve everything too easily.  A lot of shows are often inconsistent about that, making villains more powerful or having characters for strange reasons hold back or not take opportunities.

Example: when the Inquisitor turns to dust or whatever after Ahsoka killed it, both Sabine and blondie what's her name stop and look at it.  Neither one of them took advantage to attack the other and win.  

Also, in the Ahsoka/Baylan fight she kicks him in the chest.  Ok, he was caught off guard, his lightsaber arm was pushed to the side and she took a shot, fine.  But then as he's backing up she runs at him and kicks him 2 more times.  Why wouldn't he slice her leg off with his lightsaber?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You are correct,

Reveal hidden contents

Baylan is a new character.  I looked him up because he is an order 66 survivor, curious if he and his padawan were in some other content.  They are both new to this show.

You're also right in that she beat Maul and held her own with Vader.  With Morgan in that Mandalorian episode she sparred with her for a bit.  She fought the Inquisitor in a previous episode in this show and then this time sparred with him for a bit until she easily defeated his attack.  I don't have a problem with her being a bit evenly matched with Baylan if he's more experienced and was originally trained by the Jedi before Order 66.  They can't have her so powerful that she takes everyone down easily or else there would be no real threat and she'd solve everything too easily.  A lot of shows are often inconsistent about that, making villains more powerful or having characters for strange reasons hold back or not take opportunities.

Example: when the Inquisitor turns to dust or whatever after Ahsoka killed it, both Sabine and blondie what's her name stop and look at it.  Neither one of them took advantage to attack the other and win.  

Also, in the Ahsoka/Baylan fight she kicks him in the chest.  Ok, he was caught off guard, his lightsaber arm was pushed to the side and she took a shot, fine.  But then as he's backing up she runs at him and kicks him 2 more times.  Why wouldn't he slice her leg off with his lightsaber?  

yep, it's just weird to see the same mistakes being made over and over again by so many different writers. i thought if anyone, filoni could change that trend, but ... :facepalm:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

yep, it's just weird to see the same mistakes being made over and over again by so many different writers. i thought if anyone, filoni could change that trend, but ... :facepalm:

Unfortunately, I think the corporate nature creeps in.  Freddie Prinze is out there on social media and podcasts cursing and yelling at SW fans for being critical, saying that no one knows more about the force and SW than him because he learned from Filoni while voicing Kanan on Rebels, and Filoni learned from Lucas.  Sam Witmer who voiced Maul in the cartoons has also done similar.  I get that there are dumb fans and all but the products are often lacking. When professionals working for the biggest movie studios on the world make basic plot holes or bad writing they need to own it and do better.  Fans didn't complain about Rogue One, The Mandalorian (for the most part) and Andor.  All 3 of those well received and liked.  Some thought Andor was slow moving and boring but overall liked. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Unfortunately, I think the corporate nature creeps in.  Freddie Prinze is out there on social media and podcasts cursing and yelling at SW fans for being critical, saying that no one knows more about the force and SW than him because he learned from Filoni while voicing Kanan on Rebels, and Filoni learned from Lucas.  Sam Witmer who voiced Maul in the cartoons has also done similar.  I get that there are dumb fans and all but the products are often lacking. When professionals working for the biggest movie studios on the world make basic plot holes or bad writing they need to own it and do better.  Fans didn't complain about Rogue One, The Mandalorian (for the most part) and Andor.  All 3 of those well received and liked.  Some thought Andor was slow moving and boring but overall liked. 

yep, some are are very defensive, but it's reality and in all cases, the issues are self inflicted and completely unnecessary. 

the clone wars season 6 ended in 2014. instead of waiting six years to do the final season, they could've brought ahsoka to live action. the first movie being some type of run through her part in the animated series and then a mission that was never in it.

the 2nd movie could've been the last 4 episodes of season 7, the clone wars. this series along with the mandolorian could've be used to reboot the horrible sequels. 

When I see the WGA striking and then look at the glaring plot holes and bad dialogue in some of the most profitable franchises out there (good point NOTW), I can't help but wonder if they think they are better than they really are or just assume the punter will just pay to watch any old shite and be happy.  That scene in Obi Wan at the gate you could walk around says a lot about Disney Star Wars.

Is it true that there was an Ahsoka space lightsaber scene were the fighters could have just have flown under the craft and blown it up?  Surely they didn't write something that dumb

filoni wrote the entire season himself. this is all on him. 

thought - could thrawn turn out to be snoke ? 

They seem to focus on big plot elements but leave dumb little plot holes or inconsistencies that are unnecessary and easily avoidable.

Like Morgan is some witch now (from that cult in The Clone Wars?) and seems she has a plan that involves more than just bringing Thrawn back.  Baylan is suspicious of her, shows disdain for her being a witch.  They're re-creating scenes from Rebels and all that.  But there's already too many complaints about dumb writing and character decisions.

They have been rushing to put out too much content and spreading thin.  They should have just made a post-ROTJ series that leads up to a big movie and tell one story.

Star wars has become nothing but content dump obsessed with filling in every corner of the timeline of every character we've ever liked.  The only two times they dared to be more ambitious (Last Jedi/Andor) and add layers to the storyline the "fans" rejected it and howled the material into retcon.  I'm done with Disney Star wars and even more done with this pathetic fanbase.

10 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Star wars has become nothing but content dump obsessed with filling in every corner of the timeline of every character we've ever liked.  The only two times they dared to be more ambitious (Last Jedi/Andor) and add layers to the storyline the "fans" rejected it and howled the material into retcon.  I'm done with Disney Star wars and even more done with this pathetic fanbase.

OMG NOOOOOOO

Please Dont Go Dont Leave GIF - Please Dont Go Dont Go Dont Leave -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

Sayonara suckers.  Not surpised ya'll still in on this train wreck are the same ones still slurping 5 servings of MCU slop for breakfast every day.

13 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Sayonara suckers.  Not surpised ya'll still in on this train wreck are the same ones still slurping 5 servings of MCU slop for breakfast every day.

not surprised you're the one who actually thought last jedi wasn't hot garbage. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

False. Fans loved Andor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Andor was my favorite. Not just a great Star Wars show, but a great show period. This last episode of Ahsoka was a little better than the previous ones. 

• Like 3

i re-watched the last episode to see if i missed anything that could've led to ahsoka losing to baylon like that. i guess her one hand was badly burned when she grabbed a hold of the map orb so maybe that was an issue ? 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i re-watched the last episode to see if i missed anything that could've led to ahsoka losing to baylon like that. i guess her one hand was badly burned when she grabbed a hold of the map orb so maybe that was an issue ? 

It's understandable that 2 well trained Jedi will get their hits in and go back and forth, story wise most movies and shows have the hero take a defeat or 2 or else the story would be over quickly.  She thought Sabine was dead when blondie showed up alone so she was emotionally compromised I guess, then emotional again seeing her alive.  She maybe got distracted by that.  Baylan also referenced Anakin and now that she's fighting another Jedi who turned to the dark side maybe she's in her feelings about that too.

Mostly: it was so the plot could happen.  Filoni wanted to introduce the World Between Worlds from Rebels so they could get Anakin in there, and they weren't going to have them stop the process to get Thrawn halfway through the season so they needed Ahsoka to take a loss while they bring Thrawn back.

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's understandable that 2 well trained Jedi will get their hits in and go back and forth, story wise most movies and shows have the hero take a defeat or 2 or else the story would be over quickly.  She thought Sabine was dead when blondie showed up alone so she was emotionally compromised I guess, then emotional again seeing her alive.  She maybe got distracted by that.  Baylan also referenced Anakin and now that she's fighting another Jedi who turned to the dark side maybe she's in her feelings about that too.

Mostly: it was so the plot could happen.  Filoni wanted to introduce the World Between Worlds from Rebels so they could get Anakin in there, and they weren't going to have them stop the process to get Thrawn halfway through the season so they needed Ahsoka to take a loss while they bring Thrawn back.

yeah i thought about the emotional side of it, but again, she bested maul & handled anakin/darth vader while under similar circumstances. i just thought the added issue with the hand was the final straw.

Spoiler

i have a feeling the issue will be explained a little further when her discussion with ghost anakin continues. 

6 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

yeah i thought about the emotional side of it, but again, she bested maul & handled anakin/darth vader while under similar circumstances. i just thought the added issue with the hand was the final straw.

Reveal hidden contents

i have a feeling the issue will be explained a little further when her discussion with ghost anakin continues. 

Writers don't think about the same things as fans, which I think they should think through things a little more because adding 1 little line of dialogue or one simple action can explain things that fans think of as plot holes.  They are thinking of going from one plot point to the next and also some character development or moments they want to create.  Sometimes they lack attention to detail which is crazy for the biggest movie studios in the world.

Ultimately, the hero and villain will go back and forth taking wins and losses to separate and fight another day.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NOTW said:

Writers don't think about the same things as fans, which I think they should think through things a little more because adding 1 little line of dialogue or one simple action can explain things that fans think of as plot holes.  They are thinking of going from one plot point to the next and also some character development or moments they want to create.  Sometimes they lack attention to detail which is crazy for the biggest movie studios in the world.

Ultimately, the hero and villain will go back and forth taking wins and losses to separate and fight another day.  

Most likely for the writers, It's just a job for a lot of them, so there is no engagement or emotional investment in what they are writing or if it creates problems - not my problem buddy, just doing my job.