Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

In addition, 

Spoiler

When she's in the hospital bed she reveals her wound almost near her hip, nowhere near where she was stabbed which was in the center of her torso. And it looks like barely nothing happened, like a car cigarette lighter burn mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want to like this show, I like the Ahsoka character. It is mostly well made with the right look, costumes, practical effects and the right SW "feel." It's basically Rebels season 5 with Hera, Sabine, Chopper, Thrawn, Ezra, etc.

But it's hard getting past why Luke, Leia & Han wouldn't be involved in a new threat to the New Republic. They could at least mention them to acknowledge they're doing something else. 

Mon Mothma could speak to a hologram Leia with updates. Luke could be off building a new Jedi temple which we saw in the Boba Fett episode. He could have appointed Ahsoka as an official Jedi then left her to handle anything in his absence. 

Where did all these force trained Inquisitors come from? The Emperor & Vader were training them the whole time?

All these former Jedi that survived Order 66 keep showing up in shows, even training new force sensitive people yet Yoda & Obi-Wan had no idea & couldn't sense them. And the Emperor couldn't sense them either but was so powerful he could hide himself from being discovered for years right in front of the best Jedi in the Council. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

None of it makes any sense. The characters aren't very interesting either. There's no depth there. I've liked the other SW shows, warts and all but this one is only barely watchable. 

26 minutes ago, Gannan said:

None of it makes any sense. The characters aren't very interesting either. There's no depth there. I've liked the other SW shows, warts and all but this one is only barely watchable. 

It's better if you watched Clone Wars & Rebels. I didn't like Rebels that much, didn't like Kanan or Ezra or the beast looking guy. I liked Sabine & Hera, especially Sabine giving more Mandalorian content.

If you didn't see those, this show might be hard to get into.

22 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's better if you watched Clone Wars & Rebels. I didn't like Rebels that much, didn't like Kanan or Ezra or the beast looking guy. I liked Sabine & Hera, especially Sabine giving more Mandalorian content.

If you didn't see those, this show might be hard to get into.

I watched Rebels a little with my son. It was fine for him (he was 6 at the time) but I thought it was more geared toward kids. I've seen maybe a dozen or so episodes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gannan said:

I watched Rebels a little with my son. It was fine for him (he was 6 at the time) but I thought it was more geared toward kids. I've seen maybe a dozen or so episodes. 

I trudged through it to see what happens because I read about some things that show up.

Maul involved a lot, has a rematch fight with Obi-Wan. Ahsoka shows up to help the Rebels crew, has a reunion with Vader too. Thrawn shows up and we get to see some good episodes with him. Some Inquisitors in it. It had some good moments. But I liked the non-Jedi characters better. The Rogue One & Andor type showing the rebellion forming. 

The show may have already jumped the shark in the 3rd episode. 

Spoiler

She puts on a space suit, goes outside into space to stand on her shop and fight 3 ships shooting at her, doing flips & slicing them with her lightsaber. 

🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

The show may have already jumped the shark in the 3rd episode. 

Hide contents

She puts on a space suit, goes outside into space to stand on her shop and fight 3 ships shooting at her, doing flips & slicing them with her lightsaber. 

🤦🏻‍♂️

That was the scene that did it for me. It's just not good.

Spoiler

The first time she flips and lands back on the ship as if there is gravity. The second time she does it she floats off.

The show is filled with lazy writing. 

On 9/2/2023 at 2:12 PM, iladelphxx said:
  Hide contents

This happened with the black chick in Obi Wan too.... 

They are hot enough to melt steel doors.... Your entire insides would be vaporized

It's been a bug bear of mine with Disney Star Wars and how lightsaber wounds are no worse than a paper cut if you gut an organic life form.  Qui Gon is such a wuss dying like that from a lightsaber wound isn't he? LOL

On 9/2/2023 at 4:09 PM, NOTW said:

I want to like this show, I like the Ahsoka character. It is mostly well made with the right look, costumes, practical effects and the right SW "feel." It's basically Rebels season 5 with Hera, Sabine, Chopper, Thrawn, Ezra, etc.

But it's hard getting past why Luke, Leia & Han wouldn't be involved in a new threat to the New Republic. They could at least mention them to acknowledge they're doing something else. 

Mon Mothma could speak to a hologram Leia with updates. Luke could be off building a new Jedi temple which we saw in the Boba Fett episode. He could have appointed Ahsoka as an official Jedi then left her to handle anything in his absence. 

Where did all these force trained Inquisitors come from? The Emperor & Vader were training them the whole time?

All these former Jedi that survived Order 66 keep showing up in shows, even training new force sensitive people yet Yoda & Obi-Wan had no idea & couldn't sense them. And the Emperor couldn't sense them either but was so powerful he could hide himself from being discovered for years right in front of the best Jedi in the Council. 

I've avoided watching Ashoka until enough episodes are out that I can judge the buzz on it without wasting my time.  From what I am hearing so far, bit boring, makes little sense unless you've watched the other shows and suffers from most recent Disney plot issues. But it is better than Boba Fett and Obi Wan, and on a par the last season of Mando or even a little better, Looks good and Ray Stevenson is really good when he is on screen.

The obvious lack of Luke, etc is telling.  Why won't Disney or Lucasfilm just deal with it tropes like just spoke to Leia on a hologram etc.They aren't clever enough to undo their own mess

5 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

It's been a bug bear of mine with Disney Star Wars and how lightsaber wounds are no worse than a paper cut if you gut an organic life form.  Qui Gon is such a wuss dying like that from a lightsaber wound isn't he? LOL

I've avoided watching Ashoka until enough episodes are out that I can judge the buzz on it without wasting my time.  From what I am hearing so far, bit boring, makes little sense unless you've watched the other shows and suffers from most recent Disney plot issues. But it is better than Boba Fett and Obi Wan, and on a par the last season of Mando or even a little better, Looks good and Ray Stevenson is really good when he is on screen.

The obvious lack of Luke, etc is telling.  Why won't Disney or Lucasfilm just deal with it tropes like just spoke to Leia on a hologram etc.They aren't clever enough to undo their own mess

It's worth watching, like I said it has a lot of good elements of classic SW. Practical effects, the look & feel, sound effects are good, I like the space ships scenes in all the recent shows. 

If you put aside why Luke & Leia aren't there it's a decent standalone story. Baylan survived Order 66 and became a mercenary for hire, and took on a padawan. Ahsoka rejoined the larger story in Rebels and is hunting Thrawn. And she's picking up training Sabine, her old padawan who trained with Kanan in Rebels. 

I think they should have used CGI Luke again to start this series anointing her an official Jedi. Then say that he's working on rebuilding the Jedi and has to seclude himself to study at a distant temple. He already showed up to fight the dark troopers in Mandalorian, he thinks he's leaving things settled for now.

I wish they would have not made the sequel trilogy first, instead made these shows & movies about immediately after the end of the Empire. Do what Star Trek TNG did: multiple seasons building up to movies.

• Like 1

I think it'll be one I leave until a week off work and I fancy a binge watch as it's not going to be spoiled because of the movies later.  My only concern if they make Thrawn a dollar store version of the book one

But the Luke thing is a great point on where Disney lack attention to detail on the small things that help them setup later - but do agree on how TNG set the slate for other things later on and in fact, opened the universe to things like the Borg. Who were pretty badass.  They varied from the standard evil Klingon thing

• Like 1

It’s not that complicated. All we wanted to see after Return of the Jedi was Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight. 5 movies, 7 seasons of TV, and they basically gave us like 6 minutes of what everyone has wanted for 40 years. 

Disney is beyond terrible at this. They should have just re-cast with younger actors and made the Zahn trilogy into the movies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

I think it'll be one I leave until a week off work and I fancy a binge watch as it's not going to be spoiled because of the movies later.  My only concern if they make Thrawn a dollar store version of the book one

But the Luke thing is a great point on where Disney lack attention to detail on the small things that help them setup later - but do agree on how TNG set the slate for other things later on and in fact, opened the universe to things like the Borg. Who were pretty badass.  They varied from the standard evil Klingon thing

FWIW Thrawn in Rebels cartoon was very well done, voiced by the same actor who will play him in Ahsoka. 

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

FWIW Thrawn in Rebels cartoon was very well done, voiced by the same actor who will play him in Ahsoka. 

That is my recollection.  As good as you'll get when taking a book character into cartoon/TV.  Just don't trust Disney to take the step from cartoons to TV, esp the VFX stuff.

I do wish the TV series universe had more subtle hints of Thrawn so people not familiar with him understand he's more than just a random new baddie as the last few films.

7 hours ago, vikas83 said:

It’s not that complicated. All we wanted to see after Return of the Jedi was Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight. 5 movies, 7 seasons of TV, and they basically gave us like 6 minutes of what everyone has wanted for 40 years. 

Disney is beyond terrible at this. They should have just re-cast with younger actors and made the Zahn trilogy into the movies. 

Sebastian Stan is right there, already liked for Winter Soldier in the MCU. Slam dunk.

I think they rushed to put out movies too soon after closing the deal. Now they've gone all over the timeline where even many fans who consider themselves die hard get lost about when this is happening. Especially things from long series of cartoons if you didn't watch those. 

They over corrected the reaction to the prequels by trying to recreate the OG trilogy with that meme: copy homework but make it slightly different. Fans liked Rogue One and The Mandalorian: new characters & stories that supplement the movies, have enough SW classics & nostalgia while using modern filmmaking. 

And you're right: literally #1 on the list that fans wanted was to see Luke as a full fledged bad ass Jedi MASTER rebuilding the Jedi order.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

That is my recollection.  As good as you'll get when taking a book character into cartoon/TV.  Just don't trust Disney to take the step from cartoons to TV, esp the VFX stuff.

I do wish the TV series universe had more subtle hints of Thrawn so people not familiar with him understand he's more than just a random new baddie as the last few films.

I think they expect most to either know the references, research them online or have seen the cartoons. Disney+ does a playlist of essential episodes for Ahsoka. 

So far, characters from cartoon to live action have been well done & fans have liked them. Bo Katan, Cad Bane, Ahsoka, Sabine, Heru, others. Filoni is still the main reason these are worthwhile & doing his best. My guess is Disney is going to make new content regardless so he is the keeper of the canon & trying to make it all fit together. But as we've noted, there are things lacking to tie the stories together. 

Example. Did we want to see Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan again? YES! Did we want his story mostly about a child Leia played by a terrible actress and an ambitious Inquisitor? No. 

the endless plot holes this franchise causes and then poorly fixes are maddening. 

i really like the ahsoka character, but she is a glaring omission from the canon story. 

10 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I think they expect most to either know the references, research them online or have seen the cartoons. Disney+ does a playlist of essential episodes for Ahsoka. 

So far, characters from cartoon to live action have been well done & fans have liked them. Bo Katan, Cad Bane, Ahsoka, Sabine, Heru, others. Filoni is still the main reason these are worthwhile & doing his best. My guess is Disney is going to make new content regardless so he is the keeper of the canon & trying to make it all fit together. But as we've noted, there are things lacking to tie the stories together. 

Example. Did we want to see Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan again? YES! Did we want his story mostly about a child Leia played by a terrible actress and an ambitious Inquisitor? No. 

They broke their own film canon with Obi Wan too.  They wanted a random story about Obi Wan and Leia, rather than showing what Obi Wan did on Tattooine to protect Luke and Aaron/Beru from the Empire/Vader - you can bring in all sorts of stuff on and off planet to do it and weave it into other things as you need.

8 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

the endless plot holes this franchise causes and then poorly fixes are maddening. 

i really like the ahsoka character, but she is a glaring omission from the canon story. 

Ahsoka is a Dave Filoni creation

Spoiler

that should have been killed off but for a stupid time travel plot device in a franchise that doesn't do it, so they can use the character in Rebels.

She hasn't appear in the now dead EU,and Disney's issue, as you say, is they are struggling to retrofit her into the post original trilogy stuff without ruining what they have with Rey as the one to create the Jedi Order. 

It's no wonder even the nerds and show runners are confused about what happened and when.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

They broke their own film canon with Obi Wan too.  They wanted a random story about Obi Wan and Leia, rather than showing what Obi Wan did on Tattooine to protect Luke and Aaron/Beru from the Empire/Vader - you can bring in all sorts of stuff on and off planet to do it and weave it into other things as you need.

Reveal hidden contents

that should have been killed off but for a stupid time travel plot device in a franchise that doesn't do it, so they can use the character in Rebels.

She hasn't appear in the now dead EU,and Disney's issue, as you say, is they are struggling to retrofit her into the post original trilogy stuff without ruining what they have with Rey as the one to create the Jedi Order. 

It's no wonder even the nerds and show runners are confused about what happened and when.

Ahsoka became a good character throughout and it was cool seeing her in that standalone episode of The Mandalorian.  But it was always weird to throw into the story that Anakin had a Padawan.  In episode 3 they treat him like he's still a student and not respected...then why would he be allowed to have a student to train?  (Also side note, the way they portray Anakin in The Clone Wars is way better than the movies, he's an actual Jedi hero not an annoying whiner and complainer who stalks Padme with creepy stares and awkward dialogue.)

But it's a good example where they created something for the cartoon that they then had to forever try to write around the fact that she wasn't in the movies.  And whenever they do anything that takes place before ep 4, they have to have a valid reason why that character or plot point wasn't around or impacting. The biggest thing is after ep 3 Obi-Wan and Yoda assumed they were the only ones left, defeated and exiled waiting for Luke.  They could have regrouped to find any surviving Jedi and try to stop them instead.  Kanan, Ahsoka, Baylan, that Jedi in the Obi-Wan show that was executed on Tattoine, etc.  Then there's The Bad Batch storm troopers, Ezra, the Rebels crew...all that happened in the cartoons while Obi-Wan and Yoda gave up and are hanging out.

There was a really great opportunity with Luke and Ahsoka both having Anakin connection as student and son, and both having issues with how the old Jedi order functioned and wanting to do things differently.  That could be your new trilogy and include the OG trilogy characters, introduce Thrawn, new Jedi that get trained to pass the baton, etc.  Connect characters from the cartoons and movies together and move forward.  You can throw in new characters like a stormtrooper who defects to become a rebel and stuff like that to still have the new mixed with the old.  They can even retcon that some of the characters from Rebels were involved.  The Ashsoka show mentioned that General Hera was involved in the battle of Yavin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Hide contents

yeah i know filoni created ahsoka. there lies the issue. you make an unknown character so essential to the canon storyline and yet she was relegated to animated shows. shame because i love the character and her tie ins to anikan and the pre-queals. 

IMO the last four episodes in clone wars should've actually been live action. that way so many more adults would have a clue of who she is and why she is important. it would also further explain the fact that ahsoka is no longer a jedi and that "maybe" this is why the phrase "there is another" wouldn't refer to her. 

plus yes, her storyline along with luke trying to train new jedis, just to have it blow up in their faces would've been much better than deathstar 3.0 and the other crap sequeals. . 

but then of course you have ezra from rebels who i guess they presumed was dead. another plot hole. 

either way IMO the show itself is fine, again, the issue is the constant self-inflicted wounds these writers bring on themselves. 

• Like 2

It's disappointing because the ingredients are there for a great recipe and the execution is often average or bad.  The prequels these days are getting nostalgia lenses from fans who liked them as kids or teens but they had a lot of problems too.  Star Wars is arguably the #1 pop culture fandom and there's so much pressure they either overthink it, or they try to do so much that they create plot holes or inconsistencies...often they are easy to avoid or fix as well.

"From a certain point of view" can be used to explain certain things if they wanted to.  Yoda comes from the stubborn Jedi Council era that stuck to rules and protocol.  Yoda telling Obi-Wan that only Luke and Leia are the last hope could be him maintaining their original plan at the end of ep 3 was the offspring of Anakin would fulfill the prophesy to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force.  Maybe it didn't matter to him that there could be some force sensitive people out there, there wasn't enough time to find and train a couple Order 66 survivors and Ahsoka who left the Jedi ways...the answer was Anakin's offspring, one of them would be the one to bring him and the Empire down.  Keeping big picture in mind.  After that, Luke and Leia can rebuild the Jedi and Republic but first things first.  A post-ROTJ content that includes a Yoda or Obi-Wan force ghost explaining that and informing Luke that there are other force sensitive people out there, former survivors of Order 66 to regroup with, etc. could be a simple thing to accomplish and keep the Skywalker family saga as the core of the story and make the straggler story lines make sense as well.  It may not be perfect, but could be satisfactory and then you can move on and accept that Jedi and Sith are coming out of the woodworks after the Empire is gone.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NOTW said:

Ahsoka became a good character throughout and it was cool seeing her in that standalone episode of The Mandalorian.  But it was always weird to throw into the story that Anakin had a Padawan.  In episode 3 they treat him like he's still a student and not respected...then why would he be allowed to have a student to train?  (Also side note, the way they portray Anakin in The Clone Wars is way better than the movies, he's an actual Jedi hero not an annoying whiner and complainer who stalks Padme with creepy stares and awkward dialogue.)

But it's a good example where they created something for the cartoon that they then had to forever try to write around the fact that she wasn't in the movies.  And whenever they do anything that takes place before ep 4, they have to have a valid reason why that character or plot point wasn't around or impacting. The biggest thing is after ep 3 Obi-Wan and Yoda assumed they were the only ones left, defeated and exiled waiting for Luke.  They could have regrouped to find any surviving Jedi and try to stop them instead.  Kanan, Ahsoka, Baylan, that Jedi in the Obi-Wan show that was executed on Tattoine, etc.  Then there's The Bad Batch storm troopers, Ezra, the Rebels crew...all that happened in the cartoons while Obi-Wan and Yoda gave up and are hanging out.

The race for a female Luke unfortunately caused Disney a whole bunch of issues that anyone with a brain could have foreseen. Stuff like Mando leading to the Rey films would have been clever and having a firm plan for Rey's parents baked in could have been a nice reveal across those films.  They made Order 66 go from badass to vaguely incompetent now we keep seeing how many Jedi are in the Galaxy.

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

It's disappointing because the ingredients are there for a great recipe and the execution is often average or bad.  The prequels these days are getting nostalgia lenses from fans who liked them as kids or teens but they had a lot of problems too.  Star Wars is arguably the #1 pop culture fandom and there's so much pressure they either overthink it, or they try to do so much that they create plot holes or inconsistencies...often they are easy to avoid or fix as well.

"From a certain point of view" can be used to explain certain things if they wanted to.  Yoda comes from the stubborn Jedi Council era that stuck to rules and protocol.  Yoda telling Obi-Wan that only Luke and Leia are the last hope could be him maintaining their original plan at the end of ep 3 was the offspring of Anakin would fulfill the prophesy to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force.  Maybe it didn't matter to him that there could be some force sensitive people out there, there wasn't enough time to find and train a couple Order 66 survivors and Ahsoka who left the Jedi ways...the answer was Anakin's offspring, one of them would be the one to bring him and the Empire down.  Keeping big picture in mind.  After that, Luke and Leia can rebuild the Jedi and Republic but first things first.  A post-ROTJ content that includes a Yoda or Obi-Wan force ghost explaining that and informing Luke that there are other force sensitive people out there, former survivors of Order 66 to regroup with, etc. could be a simple thing to accomplish and keep the Skywalker family saga as the core of the story and make the straggler story lines make sense as well.  It may not be perfect, but could be satisfactory and then you can move on and accept that Jedi and Sith are coming out of the woodworks after the Empire is gone.

Force Ghost stuff is so obvious, I can't believe they haven't retconned it with the actors to at least attempt to clean their lack of continuity up - but by doing it, they'd have to admit they made a mistake and there was no plan as claimed. It's sad they took something simple, over complicated it and won't attempt to make it make sense. 

The EUs post ROTJ work is still Sykwalker centric, but expands the scope enough to not make them a bottle neck to the story.  Rogue Squadron should be great, but they can't do it any more because of the last 3 films