Where do you stand on QB for 2022

ManchesterEagle

Where do you stand on QB for 2022  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do at QB in 2022

• Hurts is the guy in 2022 and beyond - I'm convinced.
    • Roll with Hurts in 2022 with Minshew as back-up - see how it plays out.
    • Should be open competition between Hurts and Minshew in TC
    • Minshew should start
    • Trade for Deshaun Watson
    • Trade for Russell Wilson
    • Trade for Aaron Rodgers
    • Trade up in first to get a QB (say who in the comments)
    • Stay put in first to get a QB (say who in comments)
    • Trade a low rounder for Kirk Cousins
    • Sign Teddy Bridgewater
    • Sign another free agent to compete with Hurts/Minshew (say who in comments)

I’m more pro-Hurts than most on this board seeing both spectacular plays and appalling plays. Have not checked any of the QB’s in the draft yet but we’ve spent a lot developing Hurts, an investment that I think is too early to determine if he can make the necessary improvements in the offseason since he is such an industrious guy ( better footwork and mechanics as well as being able to launch balls amidst large OL and DL surrounding him ). Disappointed in last game his lack of killer instinct to get TD’s when needed. At this point  I would give him until the middle of next season to determine if WYSIWYG since in my mind I’ve seen a good amount of improvement over time but can it continue at that rate is the question 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The guy in France said:

I’m more pro-Hurts than most on this board seeing both spectacular plays and appalling plays. Have not checked any of the QB’s in the draft yet but we’ve spent a lot developing Hurts, an investment that I think is too early to determine if he can make the necessary improvements in the offseason since he is such an industrious guy ( better footwork and mechanics as well as being able to launch balls amidst large OL and DL surrounding him ). Disappointed in last game his lack of killer instinct to get TD’s when needed. At this point  I would give him until the middle of next season to determine if WYSIWYG since in my mind I’ve seen a good amount of improvement over time but can it continue at that rate is the question 

Everything points to Hurts being the guy in 2022. Nothing is determined for 2023.

He has played well enough and team has been successful enough for him to earn more time to continue to develop. There is no way, they should draft a QB in Rd 1 next year, particularly given weaker class. But in no way shape or form is he at the level yet where you commit to him as the long-term guy right now either. 

3 first rounders is a great luxury. Allows us to improve the team but also flip one into next year when we should have a better idea on Hurts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kiwieagle said:

He has played well enough and team has been successful enough for him to earn more time to continue to develop. There is no way, they should draft a QB in Rd 1 next year, particularly given weaker class. But in no way shape or form is he at the level yet where you commit to him as the long-term guy right now either. 

I think as well if you look at their defeats there were some where he showed that he could have led the team to a victory. The KC game was definitely on the defense who couldn't get a stop. The Chargers game he played pretty well and he rallied the team back against TB (although part of that was they were way out ahead and eased off).

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think as well if you look at their defeats there were some where he showed that he could have led the team to a victory. The KC game was definitely on the defense who couldn't get a stop. The Chargers game he played pretty well and he rallied the team back against TB (although part of that was they were way out ahead and eased off).

The defense pretty much couldn’t stop the Chargers at the end and let them drive for a field goal. Even in Jalen’s worst game of the season he still led them down the field with a chance to win, but Reagor had not one, but two big drops. Personally I would rather see a new veteran option on the other side of Smith. Someone with sure hands and who is a great route runner. 

• Like 1

I look at it this way. The Eagles spent a 2nd round pick on a QB that is performing better than quite a few other first round QBs out there.

I mean, Hurts is not at the level of an Allen, Mahomes, or Herbert, or Burrow, but he's in the Top 20 of QBs so far with room for improvement. That's not bad for a 2nd round pick.

Oh so hurts still might start in 2022? Cool let's talk about for another 50 pages. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Oh so hurts still might start in 2022? Cool let's talk about for another 50 pages. 

Just wait, next we'll have Minshew play well in the final game and another new poll about Minshew vs Hurts.

Then after the first playoff game another new poll "How do you feel about Hurts now?"

Then every free agent or draft pick on offense other than QB people will say it means they're building around Hurts. 

You know it never stops.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Just wait, next we'll have Minshew play well in the final game and another new poll about Minshew vs Hurts.

Then after the first playoff game another new poll "How do you feel about Hurts now?"

Then every free agent or draft pick on offense other than QB people will say it means they're building around Hurts. 

You know it never stops.

I'm looking forward to the how do you feel about the QB in 2023 after the eagles win the super bowl this year with Greg Ward

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm looking forward to the how do you feel about the QB in 2023 after the eagles win the super bowl this year with Gardner Minshew

FYP

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm looking forward to the how do you feel about the QB in 2023 after the eagles win the super bowl this year with Greg Ward

Every Hurts Instagram post of him working out, meeting with his receivers, a quote about work ethic, his birthday, he's seen in more retro Eagles gear, shows up at another Philly sporting event, eats at a local restaurant...will all be proof he's the guy, "a Philly guy."

Eventually we'll need a poll asking which Hurts poll is the best one. 

21 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Every Hurts Instagram post of him working out, meeting with his receivers, a quote about work ethic, his birthday, he's seen in more retro Eagles gear, shows up at another Philly sporting event, eats at a local restaurant...will all be proof he's the guy, "a Philly guy."

Eventually we'll need a poll asking which Hurts poll is the best one. 

Lmao, where do you stand on who wears the best shirts in 2022

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

FD4ECD67-4814-4912-AF00-3AF6971ABC81.jpeg

No contest there lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No contest there lol

That settles it!

20211205_195629.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want a a good to great passer who will run on occasion when needed, not a great runner who will pass (poorly to ok) on occasion. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I want a a good to great passer who will run on occasion when needed, not a great runner who will pass (poorly to ok) on occasion. 

And of course he has to be top tier throwing his first season as a starter! Sigh.

'trade a low rounder for Kirk Cousins' 

'Ricky Spielman, the spielmeister, it's me Howie 'Deals' Roseman, how are you doing, remember the owners meeting last year, holy crap what were we thinking with that last round of tequila shots? ...I know right? Anyhoo I was thinking, that QB you have that throws for 4000 yards and 25 TD's every year, will you take a 3rd round pick for him? ... You still there... Spielmeister?

On the original question,  roll with Hurts and Minshew, unless you can offload Minshew for a decent pick, take a project guy like Bailey Zappe (late day 2 absolute earliest) Hendon Hooker (mid day 3), or Dustin Crum very late day 3 or UDFA, and see where you end up.

There are no day 1 starter QB's in the draft but there are guys like Zappe, who could turn out pretty good with the right coaching and patience.

3 hours ago, Infam said:

And of course he has to be top tier throwing his first season as a starter! Sigh.

If I'd said that, I'd have said that. I didn't say that, though. But I assume, though could be mistaken, that you're referring to Hurts? This isn't his first season as a starter. He started 4 games in 2020 and has now started 15 games in 2021. So even going by the new 17 game schedule, he has more than a full season of starting experience and almost 2 full years of practice and training camps (I don't remember if or how TC's were limited in 2020, so we can call it 1 year for good measure). 

But to your point of 'first season', I don't think it's too much to ask that a starting professional (NFL) QB be, at the very least, a 'good' passer if you have a scale of 'bad passer', 'good passer' and 'great passer'. Running ability is a plus, but if your QB can't at least be a good passer, then you don't have a QB. You have a RB that takes direct snaps on every play. 

13 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If I'd said that, I'd have said that. I didn't say that, though. But I assume, though could be mistaken, that you're referring to Hurts? This isn't his first season as a starter. He started 4 games in 2020 and has now started 15 games in 2021. So even going by the new 17 game schedule, he has more than a full season of starting experience and almost 2 full years of practice and training camps (I don't remember if or how TC's were limited in 2020, so we can call it 1 year for good measure). 

But to your point of 'first season', I don't think it's too much to ask that a starting professional (NFL) QB be, at the very least, a 'good' passer if you have a scale of 'bad passer', 'good passer' and 'great passer'. Running ability is a plus, but if your QB can't at least be a good passer, then you don't have a QB. You have a RB that takes direct snaps on every play. 

They kept calling him a rookie but were called out on it so they started calling him a first year start even though he started games last season lol

They just like to make excuses

4 hours ago, Infam said:

he said "good to great" not "top tier" you're using a straw man.

50 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

They kept calling him a rookie but were called out on it so they started calling him a first year start even though he started games last season lol

I think it's fair to say it's his first full season as starter, and acknowledge it's with a brand new coaching staff and scheme, and a head coach who never called plays before and is learning on the job.  He had a mix of ups and downs this year as a young QB usually does.  The QBs who are really good early on set an unrealistic expectation.  He showed some improvements, but has a lot more to go especially in decision making, accuracy and the passing game.  He hasn't proven to be the long-term answer at QB, but he'll be back next year.  Howie will always be on the lookout for upgrades or insurance policies for the QB factory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't think it's too much to ask that a starting professional (NFL) QB be, at the very least, a 'good' passer if you have a scale of 'bad passer', 'good passer' and 'great passer'. Running ability is a plus, but if your QB can't at least be a good passer, then you don't have a QB. You have a RB that takes direct snaps on every play. 

You obviously have Hurts in the ‘bad passer’ category, so I am curious what you mean by that exactly.

If you mean accuracy, I have not seen much evidence of that - the vast majority of his throws seem to be on the money.  If you mean arm strength, I have not seen much evidence of that either - he seems to be able to make all the NFL throws with ample zip on the ball.

Is your opinion different about those things, or what exactly is it that makes you put Hurts in the category of ‘bad passer’?

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

53 minutes ago, NOTW said:

he said "good to great" not "top tier" you're using a straw man.

There's also the context of the question of the thread, which is where we stand for 2022. Not 2020 or 2021. I think that anyone who's seen my posts over the past 20+ years knows that I'm pretty patient, both with players and coaches... even front office types. So giving Hurts some time to develop is perfectly fine with me. If he can develop into a 'good to great' passer, then his running abilities will only enhance that.

My preference for a 'run of the mill' play would be for the QB to either hand it off or pass it to someone (on our team). I don't want to see the QB having to scramble and run unless there's very few good options left for him. 

Is Hurts capable of being a 'good to great' passer? I don't have enough information to go on because I haven't been able to focus on football. The little that I have seen, I can see flashes... flashes on both sides of the coin, good and bad.

Regardless of who the 2022 starter is though, I want him to AT LEAST be a good passer.