How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

• No, seen all I need to see
    • Yes, he is still young and can get better

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That poll was after beating substandard teams, it was recency bias.  Now the whole body of work is being considered.

It costs 1.5 million for a QB to take the team to 9-8 and the playoffs.
In 2020, it cost 30 million for a QB to take the team to 4-11-1.

That's a good result.  Go Hurts!

5 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Hurts took the Eagles to the playoffs.

He's a great runner.

I don't care about your complaining about success.   Going to the playoffs with 9 wins after the 30 Million guy took the Eagles to a 4 win season is success.

Hurts was successful.  That's not an excuse.  It was success.

Running QBs do better - at winning - than non running QBs.   Eagles,  winning record,  first year as the primary starter.  Impressive.

Good Job Hurts!!!

This is all comedy, but the bolded is the best.  What an absolute crock of ish.

The Eagles got to the playoffs in spite of Jalen Hurts.

Making the playoffs only because they expanded it to 7 teams from each conference and then getting blown out is not success. We saw how that went for both of the 7th seed teams.

I think the new HC showed some success and I like his future. He overachieved with the pieces he was given. But this was about as successful a season as Hurts will ever see.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That poll was after beating substandard teams, it was recency bias.  Now the whole body of work is being considered.

Oh please and there's no recency bias now? Day after a bad playoff exit and suddenly you think everybody has taken the time to consider his whole body of work? Lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Oh please and there's no recency bias now? Day after a bad playoff exit and suddenly you think everybody has taken the time to consider his whole body of work? Lol.

Yes.  We saw who he was yesterday, and his body of work this season proves it.

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Definitely recency bias in both cases. But as a whole I think I've seen enough from Hurts. It hasn't been much different from how he was in college.

8 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

If you're going to give credit to the QB for getting to the playoffs, be sure to give Carson his credit for taking the Eagles to the playoffs in 2017, 2018 and 2019. 

5 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If you're going to give credit to the QB for getting to the playoffs, be sure to give Carson his credit for taking the Eagles to the playoffs in 2017, 2018 and 2019. 

Boom GIF - Boom - Discover & Share GIFs

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Wentz should get credit for that. More so in 2017 and 2019. 

Wentz is also being judged too much for his last game.

• Like 1

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

Carson deserves his criticisms, they're definitely earned. But he also earned some good credit, too.

2017 alone should be enough for all long suffering Eagles fans to give him a 'pass' on everything else that took place, now that he's gone. If he was still here and playing poorly, that's different. But he's gone and he played a major role in our most glorious season ever. So I can look past any of his shortcomings and failures. Plus, he earned us a first round pick without even taking a single snap in an Eagles uniform. 

Any 'debts' that he may have owed Eagles Nation, are paid in full. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

He's a great runner.

I don't care about your complaining about success.   Going to the playoffs with 9 wins after the 30 Million guy took the Eagles to a 4 win season is success.

Hurts was successful.  That's not an excuse.  It was success.

Running QBs do better - at winning - than non running QBs.   Eagles,  winning record,  first year as the primary starter.  Impressive.

Good Job Hurts!!!

🤣hurts is awful as a QB, he had 9 games with less than 200 yards passing. the run game is what won games for us, certainly not hurts...put anyone behind center on a team that averaged 150+ yards rushing a game and the outcome will be the same.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

This is all comedy, but the bolded is the best.  What an absolute crock of ish.

The Eagles got to the playoffs in spite of Jalen Hurts.

Random Reglar ducks reality and puts a smily face on, even when life itself tells him not to. He refuses to deal with reality and posts from his little safe place. That's his posting in a nutshell.

200.gif

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I have 2 jerseys, side by side for the Super Bowl year- Foles and Wentz, because they did it together. Wentz got them on a roll, and Foles pinch hit them into a Super Bowl win. I have good memories of both, even though the Wentz situation on his way out was tough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thing3 said:

How do we bring in a top FA QB, a top FA WR and improve the D etc? We are in too deep of a hole that a couple of free agents is all we need to make a run. We are at least in position to start climbing out of that hole but if we don't spend wisely we could find ourselves in an even deeper hole.

And this team needs to get younger on the D side of the ball.  We have too many aging starters and not enough quality young talent to step up and fill their spots in the near future.

On D we need (and my preference is to build via the draft more than FA signings):

At least 1 S, preferably 2

At least 1 outside CB

At least 1 3-down LB, preferably 2

At least 1 DE

At least 1 DT

Now, I know we're not going to get all of that in the next draft, but over the next couple drafts these are positions we need an infusion of quality young talent going forward.

Turning to the trade for Wilson option, there's no way I give up all 3 of our 1st Round picks for him.  Stafford went for mostly future 1st Round picks, which you have to remember future picks are downgraded one round.  So a future first is the equivalent of a 2nd Round pick in the current draft.  At most I'd give up ONE 2022 1st Round pick for him then maybe either additional future 1st/2nd Round picks or our 2022 2nd Round pick which would be the equivalent of a 2023 1st Round pick.  We'd still have TWO 2022 1st Round picks and still have an option of trading back in the round on one of them to pick up an additional 2023 1st/2nd Round pick. 

Though I'm not fully sold on Wilson.  IMO by the time we build up a complete roster (which will be harder to do with giving up draft picks for him plus the cap space he'll command) he'll be (too) close to retiring and we'll be looking for a QB again.  I'd rather have an open QB competition between Hurts and Minshew and hopefully we have the opportunity to draft either Pickett or Strong.  Problem is unless there's a few trades of QBs before the draft then there will be multiple teams looking for a QB and every draft teams overdraft QBs for need.  Could be both are gone by our first pick.  My preference would be to draft Strong with our third 1st Round pick and draft mostly D the rest of the draft, let the winner of the QB competition start in 2022 and groom Strong for a season with the goal for him to start in 2023.  This way we add young talent to the D and have a potential QB going forward who is young and only cost us one 1st Round pick.  It's the best overall scenario I can think of, though I know it's not the only one and maybe one of you has a different option that equally helps the team for the long term.  Strong has the arm to make all the NFL throws and can anticipate throwing receivers open.  His issue is his mobility and some think he's just a statue in the pocket, but reports on him are that he has good pocket presence and is mobile enough that he can step or slide 1-2 spots forward/left/right to buy time to make a throw.  That's enough for me if he can do that along with seeing most of the field and being able to make quick decisions on where to go with the ball, which with his arm would give him an advantage.  That's pretty much all you can ask of and hope from your QB.

It's going to be a long and complicated off-season.  So many questions need addressing and answered and you never know what this FO is going to do.

4 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Turning to the trade for Wilson option, there's no way I give up all 3 of our 1st Round picks for him.  Stafford went for mostly future 1st Round picks, which you have to remember future picks are downgraded one round. 

Part of the draft pick delayed compensation was Detroit taking on Goff's contract.  If it was Stafford for picks only, there would have been more immediate picks.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

:roll:🤡:roll:

if that ranking doesnt show you that PFF is meaningless nothing will, anyone will tell you hurts is not a top 10 qb 🤣9 games of less than 200 yards passing is not top 10 qb material

• Like 4

the colts' GM refused to commit to wentz.....so maybe he'll be available this offseason!   :excited:    

Just now, mr_hunt said:

the colts' GM refused to commit to wentz.....so maybe he'll be available this offseason!   :excited:    

Careful, a handful of people on this board just ran to their nearest CVS or Walgreens to clean out their supply of jergens.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Part of the draft pick delayed compensation was Detroit taking on Goff's contract.  If it was Stafford for picks only, there would have been more immediate picks.

Good point, thanks.  It adds to my hesitation to trade for him if we have to give up that much immediate compensation.  By trading away all those picks and taking on his salary I think it would take us 3 full off-seasons to build a roster good enough to be a SB contender.  So we're talking 2022, 2023, and 2024 to build a good enough roster with younger talent and by 2025 Wilson is 3 years older.  I don't see him playing into his 40s like Brady as he has more wear/tear on him.  He takes hits running around the way he does.  I'd be surprised if he is still playing when he's 40 so by the time we build a roster good enough we'll have at most a 2-3 year window with him.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it and I'm not too keen on it.

7 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Jalen Hurts - 1.5 Million a year
Mac Jones - 4 Million a year
Joe Burrow - 9 Million a year
Kyler Murray - 9 Million a year

roethlisberger 14M
brady 25M
derek carr 25M
stafford 27M
garappolo 27M
tannehill  30M
rodgers  33M
prescott 40M
josh allen 43M
mahomes 45M

So beyond rookie contracts and a one year goodbye tour, everyone makes 25mil +.... So good qbs get paid. So why keep bringing up pay when it's literally how the league works. You want a proven commodity, you pay. Btw, Hurts is the worst QB that isn't ancient on there 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Exactly. When the emotions cool down people will have to acknowledge that, as a practical matter, Hurts is most likely to be the Eagles starter next season.  Why?

• They invested heavily in his development which they see as a work in progress
  • It’s a weak draft class at. QB
  • None of the veterans rumored to be on the trade market make sense for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the Eagles aren’t in a position to invest $40 million in cap space at the QB position next year

Hurts had a bad game yesterday but you could say that about most of the coaching staff and skill position players.  He’s coming back though.  That’s the reality.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Exactly. When the emotions cool down people will have to acknowledge that, as a practical matter, Hurts is most likely to be the Eagles starter next season.  Why?

• They invested heavily in his development which they see as a work in progress
  • It’s a weak draft class at. QB
  • None of the veterans rumored to be on the trade market make sense for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the Eagles aren’t in a position to invest $40 million in cap space at the QB position next year

Hurts had a bad game yesterday but you could say that about most of the coaching staff and skill position players.  He’s coming back though.  That’s the reality.

Didn't anyone tell you, we are only one average QB away from being a contender. We should trade high level assets and pay an average QB like Carr or Garappolo almost 30 million a year, so we can fail to address several of the other holes on this team.

• Like 5

Man I just wish the Eagles never got rid of their last good quarterback. Why they let Foles go is behind me.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

He’s coming back though.  That’s the reality.

No it is not.  Jeffrey Lurie's statements about having a franchise QB, the multiple moves they have made in the last 10 years to try and get one and having three 1st round picks all disagree with this statement.