EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, justrelax said:

I like him but I think he may be just a tad undersized. He's definitely faster than Linderbaum and I think he can add maybe 10-15 pounds over the next year and a half, getting him close to 320. When I look at Linderbaum I think he's maxed out now and he's under 300. Jurgens won't have to play this year so he'll get a full season of Stoutland's coaching and time in the weight room.

I should add that when I talk about undersized, it's in relation to the monsters arriving in the league of late, like Vea, Davis, and Jones. 300 lbs used to be plenty big enough for a center, but now... I'm reminded of when Buddy Ryan lined Reggie up on Jeff Bostic's nose and basically threw him into the QB's lap on every play.

This is all fair.

The only good news is that most teams don't have a Vea, Davis, Jones, etc. In fact, we have one of them!

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been at work all day.  Are the Eagles going to make any selections today?

OMG. I totally zoned out on my cell phone for like 15 minutes.

What did I miss?

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

No, people aren't complaining just to complain.  We are looking at this team that has zero depth at DE.  Nothing in the pipeline at safety.  2 RB who are FA next year.  No back up tight end. 5 6th round or UDFA CB with no one in line to replace Slay.

You build the core of your team in the middle rounds of the draft and the Eagles just sat out 2 straight rounds in a "deep draft" 

This was pegged as an important draft to retool the youth and depth on the roster.  I don't think anyone is really upset about Davis.  We can argue about Davis or Hamilton.  Finding a replacement for Kelce is nice and Dean could be a steal.  

However, they still lack young talent at a lot of positions. 

Yup eagles have a ton of holes on the roster and unless they fill them with FA they failed at filling a bunch with the draft 

Be Interesting to see what Howie does with trades FA and UDFA to fill those vacant holes 

Just now, eaglestime34 said:

No. We're going to try and accrue every 7th round pick in the 2023 draft.

39 minutes ago, justrelax said:

The pedant in me wishes to point out that no Nebraska player has won the Rimington award since 2000. Since then, Ohio State players have won three, Michigan two, and Iowa one. Currently, as best I can sort it out, there are four Nebraska OL in the NFL and eight Iowa OL.

The days of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne are long gone. The Nebraska polish has worn thin.

Like the Jurgens pick a ton. The fact that Kelce was asked to weigh in and endorsed speaks volumes.

The days of an Australian Rugby Player advancing to Starting LT to effectively replace J Peters were not foreseen. Rimington is just another measurable, fine, but so is the Heisman and The Butkus. Homeruns and Busts abound. Big school, small school, SEC whatever. Give Stout the time to evaluate and then teach, diamonds from rough.

Dillard is the exception. Still not sure if he was forced upon Stout or what, but point stands....He turned Herbig into a value player...Seamolu...and on and on.

1 minute ago, CouchKing said:

OMG. I totally zoned out on my cell phone for like 15 minutes.

What did I miss?

Weezer

1 minute ago, RLC said:

This is all fair.

The only good news is that most teams don't have a Vea, Davis, Jones, etc. In fact, we have one of them!

That’s why we drafted Davis. Didn’t want him dominating our second-round pick. 

Howie playing chess. 

3 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I like him but I think he may be just a tad undersized. He's definitely faster than Linderbaum and I think he can add maybe 10-15 pounds over the next year and a half, getting him close to 320. When I look at Linderbaum I think he's maxed out now and he's under 300. Jurgens won't have to play this year so he'll get a full season of Stoutland's coaching and time in the weight room.

I should add that when I talk about undersized, it's in relation to the monsters arriving in the league of late, like Vea, Davis, and Jones. 300 lbs used to be plenty big enough for a center, but now... I'm reminded of when Buddy Ryan lined Reggie up on Jeff Bostic's nose and basically threw him into the QB's lap on every play.

Basically what we’re hoping for with Jordan Davis.

Have to think the center is getting every down help from an OG if this becomes the trend. It’s just unrealistic to expect an undersized center to hike the ball and then anchor against a guy who has 30+ pounds on him.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

@ManuManu whose the official 2022 UDFA TE we bring in and slap unrealistic expectations on?

The Virginia Tech guy who tore his ACL (Mitchell?)

Or

My original day 3/UDFA TE target Austin Allen. 

3 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

We won't know what he is. He could be special or he could be a guy who gains the weight back he lost to get a good contract in the NFL. No guarantee Hamilton would have been better if they stayed where they were or that Howie would have taken him. My problem is with his overall philosophy of having to make big splashes vs Balt. mostly staying put and drafting very solid players. I'm hoping he turns into a good pick, but with the number of holes they have it wasn't what I would have done.

We won't know what any player in the draft is.  But what we do know is that he has an extremely high ceiling with his potential because he is one of the mostly physically unique freak athletes to ever enter the draft.  Chuck Bednarik Award winner in 2021 so he also isn't just some workout warrior who is physically gifted.  He can play.  He has all of the athletic ability to keep getting better.  He is a very, very special prospect.

2 minutes ago, eaglestime34 said:

Not if Howie can help it!

1 minute ago, bitbased said:

No. We're going to try and accrue every 7th round pick in the 2023 draft.

Not if the Bears get there first, we won't.

45 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

People really complaining about the extreme crap shoot that is the late rounds of the draft?

You must be new…

Howie on Day 3.

giphy.gif

Bo Melton?  Grant Calcaterra? Dominique Robinson, Damone Clark, Isaac Stuart, Araiza

7 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

We won't know what he is. He could be special or he could be a guy who gains the weight back he lost to get a good contract in the NFL. No guarantee Hamilton would have been better if they stayed where they were or that Howie would have taken him. My problem is with his overall philosophy of having to make big splashes vs Balt. mostly staying put and drafting very solid players. I'm hoping he turns into a good pick, but with the number of holes they have it wasn't what I would have done.

Yep.  Is Davis going to have the same impact as Kyle Hamilton , and Travis Jones,  and whatever two other players they got.

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Howie on Day 3.

giphy.gif

Incredible disappearing act....

Just now, garingovt2000 said:

Bo Melton?  Grant Calcaterra? Dominique Robinson, Damone Clark, Olaijah Griffen, Araiza

Quit posting players you want, they keep getting picked.

You look at the ticker on the ESPN website, the majority of the picks in the sixth round have already been moved.

Just now, RLC said:

I keep looking at the Bears picks and wonder why they hate Justin Fields.

I can't believe they picked Brisker with Pickens sitting there.

Archived