Will Smith goes Philly hood on Chris Rock

Gannan

2 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

If someone is even vaguely familiar with him, not sure that I understand why someone would decide to watch it and not like it. I thought it was pretty good and very much fit his usual style of comedy. In fact, if anything, this style suits him more now that he's older and naturally more crotchety.

You have to watch it, if for nothing else than to see him light Will's ass up. He didn't hold back and probably even went after him a little too hard. You can see how much it's really affected Rock's life and kinda took me outta the moment seeing him get so worked up. I even felt bad for him, which I'm not sure is the best thing for his style of comedy. But it does go to show you how fragile and insecure Will's behavior was in the first place, because the GI Jane joke now looks so tame in comparison. The jokes he told in this special were the ones that were slap worthy.

Well it's pretty easy to watch something and not like it even if you liked the person lol

I've seen video clips on twitter about it. I'm more meh about watching it.

I thought it was a lot better than "Tamborine" and about on par with "Kill The Messenger". 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Well it's pretty easy to watch something and not like it even if you liked the person lol

I've seen video clips on twitter about it. I'm more meh about watching it.

Sure, but in this case, I'm not sure I understand the angle. In other words, he was quintessential Rock in this latest special. So if you liked his earlier stuff, this is more or less in the same vein, even if it wasn't quite as sharp or as polished. The laughs were a bit more sparse and not as hard-hitting as something like Bigger & Blacker was, but he was pacing the stage and landing the punchlines with energy just as he was doing 20 years ago.

No different than saying fans of the Rocky franchise will almost certainly like the movie Creed if they haven't seen it yet. I would struggle to understand why someone who liked those older movies and characters would now dislike the newer movie that was so stylistically similar.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gannan said:

I thought it was a lot better than "Tamborine" and about on par with "Kill The Messenger". 

Yep. Definitely better than Tamborine. To continue my Rocky analogy, Tamborine was Rocky Balboa (6th movie) while this was more akin to Creed (although I liked Creed so damn much, I'm probably overselling Selective Outrage or underselling Creed with that comparison.)

11 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Sure, but in this case, I'm not sure I understand the angle. In other words, he was quintessential Rock in this latest special. So if you liked his earlier stuff, this is more or less in the same vein, even if it wasn't quite as sharp or as polished. The laughs were a bit more sparse and not as hard-hitting as something like Bigger & Blacker was, but he was pacing the stage and landing the punchlines with energy just as he was doing 20 years ago.

No different than saying fans of the Rocky franchise will almost certainly like the movie Creed if they haven't seen it yet. I would struggle to understand why someone who liked those older movies and characters would now dislike the newer movie that was so stylistically similar.

Rocky

Creed

Rocky Balboa

Creed II

Rocky II

Rocky III

Rocky IV

Have not seen Creed III yet.

5 minutes ago, paco said:

Rocky

Creed

Rocky Balboa

Creed II

Rocky II

Rocky III

Rocky IV

See, I absolutely love Rocky II. Subjectively speaking, it's my favorite movie of the franchise. I've seen that movie at least a hundred times and I still get goosebumps at the hospital scene where Adrian says "Win", Mickey screams, "What are we waiting for?!" and the Conti score hits. 

Objectively speaking, there's no dispute that the original is clearly the best and most put together. The pacing, cinematography, tightness of the story arc, etc is unmatched by any of the sequels. But I like 2 so much that I can't put it any lower than second in the list of best to worst. You apparently liked Rocky Balboa way more than I did to have it above both Creed II and Rocky II. 

I appreciate leaving the not-to-be-mentioned movie off the list for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

See, I absolutely love Rocky II. Subjectively speaking, it's my favorite movie of the franchise. I've seen that movie at least a hundred times and I still get goosebumps at the hospital scene where Adrian says "Win", Mickey screams, "What are we waiting for?!" and the Conti score hits. 

Objectively speaking, there's no dispute that the original is clearly the best and most put together. The pacing, cinematography, tightness of the story arc, etc is unmatched by any of the sequels. But I like 2 so much that I can't put it any lower than second in the list of best to worst. You apparently liked Rocky Balboa way more than I did to have it above both Creed II and Rocky II. 

I appreciate leaving the not-to-be-mentioned movie off the list for obvious reasons.

This part in Rocky Balboa is my favorite part of any Rocky movie, so its high on my list...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I don't understand the review stuff either. If you don't like a comic then you sure as hell won't like him now. I can't stand Kevin Hart and no amount of good reviews is gonna all of a sudden going to make me like his style now. 

To use your analogy I don't really care for the rocky movies so I'm not going to bother with the creed movies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

This part in Rocky Balboa is my favorite part of any Rocky movie, so its high on my list...

Everyone should be shown that scene at some point in their life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't understand the review stuff either. If you don't like a comic then you sure as hell won't like him now. I can't stand Kevin Hart and no amount of good reviews is gonna all of a sudden going to make me like his style now. 

To use your analogy I don't really care for the rocky movies so I'm not going to bother with the creed movies

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, paco said:

Rocky

Creed

Rocky Balboa

Creed II

Rocky II

Rocky III

Rocky IV

You clearly have no appreciation for history, as the man ended the Cold War in IV. 

Rocky, Creed, Rocky IV, Creed II, Rocky Balboa, Rocky III, Rocky II

Sorry @we_gotta_believe, Rocky II is borderline terrible until the last act (starting with Adrian in the hospital). 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, vikas83 said:

You clearly have no appreciation for history, as the man ended the Cold War in IV. 

Sorry @we_gotta_believe, Rocky II is borderline terrible until the last act (starting with Adrian in the hospital). 

Rocky IV was #1.   When I was like 10. 

Agree on Rocky II.  Was a mess due to it being a combo cash grab and giving the audience they "happy” ending they wanted. Which misses the whole point of the first movie.   But the end does make it somewhat watchable and it did deliver a great line. I won but I didn’t beat him

3 was pointless. 

7 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Oh God, you even have III ahead of it. :lol:

26 minutes ago, BFit said:

I'm just glad we're all not including V in this, which is the right move... 

Rocky 5 is like the last season of Sons of Anarchy, and Dexter New Blood. I just pretend it never happened. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Oh God, you even have III ahead of it. :lol:

I did that mainly to tick you off...I usually have III last.

But...Mr. T's speech at the pep rally, and his comments to Adrian = Oscar worthy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

Rocky 5 is like the last season of Sons of Anarchy, and Dexter New Blood. I just pretend it never happened. 

IT

NEVER

HAPPENED

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

regardless of where we rank the rocky/creed movies, one thing we can all agree on is, bwestbrook36 truly has the worst taste in movies, ever. 

• Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

regardless of where we rank the rocky/creed movies, one thing we can all agree on is, bwestbrook36 truly has the worst taste in movies, ever. 

:roll::roll:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BFit said:

I'm just glad we're all not including V in this, which is the right move... 

3 hours ago, Gannan said:

The following never happened:

Highlander 2

Godfather 3

Alien 4

Rocky 5

Leonard part 6

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paco said:

Highlander 2

Godfather 3

Alien 4

Rocky 5

Leonard part 6

Rich Kotite

FYP

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paco said:

Highlander 2

Godfather 3

Alien 4

Rocky 5

Leonard part 6

I'd like to add ninja turtles 3 to that... 

• Like 2