1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

2019 College Numbers

• Justin Jefferson      15 Games 1540 yards 18 TDs
  • Brandon Aiyuk         12 Games 1192 Yards 8 TDs
  • Tee Higgins              15 Games 1167 Yards 13TDs
  • Michael PIttman Jr 13 Games 1275 Yards 11TDs
  • Chase Claypool       13 Games 1037 Yards 13TDs
  • Jalen Reagor           12 Games 611 Yards  5TDs

Which one do you draft, the guys who went over 1k and 0.75 TD's a game and up against top end competition, or the guy who couldn't beat 750 yards or 0.5TD a game but ****ed a good a story about how his production was because his QB wasn't good enough.

The choice should have been obvious (at least to which one not to take).  Howie was fixated on speed and ignored everything else.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Again, I was not suggesting that Reagor was the better pick.  But Wentz was the worst QB in the league and QBs play a huge role in a rookie WRs production. Not to mention coaching. The eagles had a new WR coach almost every year under Pedersen.  How do you know what Reagor would have done in Minnesota?   Certainly, at that time, it was a much better place for a young WR than philly.

Wentz's struggles had nothing to do with the WRs he had......he had a multitude of issues that started in his head and emerged in his physical play.  

The point is that Jefferson should have been the pick......but his production was HUGELY affected by having a seasoned, accurate veteran like Cousins. To think he would have done anything close to what he did with the worst QB in the league like Wentz is crazy.

I know that Reagor sucks.  He wasn't good at TCU, not surprising that his game (or lack of) didn't translate to the NFL.

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Again, I was not suggesting that Reagor was the better pick.  But Wentz was the worst QB in the league and QBs play a huge role in a rookie WRs production. Not to mention coaching. The eagles had a new WR coach almost every year under Pedersen.  How do you know what Reagor would have done in Minnesota?   Certainly, at that time, it was a much better place for a young WR than philly.

Wentz's struggles had nothing to do with the WRs he had......he had a multitude of issues that started in his head and emerged in his physical play.  

The point is that Jefferson should have been the pick......but his production was HUGELY affected by having a seasoned, accurate veteran like Cousins. To think he would have done anything close to what he did with the worst QB in the league like Wentz is crazy.

I actually agree with your point to a degree. The Vikings drafted Jefferson and plugged him in where Diggs used to be and Cousins gave him every opportunity to succeed that he would have given to Diggs. The Eagles, on the other hand, were an absolute mess in 2020. It wasn't just Wentz. While Wentz had his worst year, it wasn't like he had help or anything. The only WR that stepped up at all that season was Fulgham. Reagor was drafted to finally become our deep threat and eventually win the job at Z over Jackson. But since Jefferey was expected to miss at least a few weeks at the beginning of the season, the decision was made to get him experience at X by filling in there. The thumb and  shoulder injuries were a bit of a setback. The  latter allowed Fulgham to settle in at X so Reagor was moved to Z when he returned. All in all, it was a somewhat disappointing rookie year. 

Drafting Smith was supposed to remove pressure from Reagor and expected to make his second year his breakout season. That didn't happen. In fact, his 2nd year was worse. While most of Philadelphia has had enough, I think there's still an explosive playmaker there if he just gets his head on straight. The good news is that as of right now, unless there's an injury, he isn't needed as a starter.

I doubt Jefferson would have produced near as much in Philadelphia, but when you compare the two WRs, the one thing that stands out is Jefferson believes in himself and plays with confidence. For a short period, Fulgham was the most productive WR in the NFL in 2020 because he had confidence and was Wentz' go to guy. His good play elevated Wentz' play and the team actually put together some wins. Jefferson could have easily done what Fulgham did without falling quickly out of favor. I'm not so sure Reagor could have done what Jefferson did on the Vikings. One player knows himself and the other is trying to find himself.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

2019 College Numbers

• Justin Jefferson      15 Games 1540 yards 18 TDs
  • Brandon Aiyuk         12 Games 1192 Yards 8 TDs
  • Tee Higgins              15 Games 1167 Yards 13TDs
  • Michael PIttman Jr 13 Games 1275 Yards 11TDs
  • Chase Claypool       13 Games 1037 Yards 13TDs
  • Jalen Reagor           12 Games 611 Yards  5TDs

Which one do you draft, the guys who went over 1k and 0.75 TD's a game and up against top end competition, or the guy who couldn't beat 750 yards or 0.5TD a game but ****ed a good a story about how his production was because his QB wasn't good enough.

The story was different though: Jefferson can only play in the slot. Usually slot receivers are cheap to get. Even more: if people say he can only play in the slot it usually means he‘s not that good.

Then on the other hand there is Reagor, the speedy Y receiver who might turn into a big play star. And he does have the tools. I remember him making circus catches- in camp with no pressure..

It‘s obviously the wrong decision but I get it.

26 minutes ago, Infam said:

The story was different though: Jefferson can only play in the slot. Usually slot receivers are cheap to get. Even more: if people say he can only play in the slot it usually means he‘s not that good.

Then on the other hand there is Reagor, the speedy Y receiver who might turn into a big play star. And he does have the tools. I remember him making circus catches- in camp with no pressure..

That was a lazy narrative then, and it's been proven to be ridiculous in the NFL.

Ironically, where is Reagor likely to play this year?  The slot, because he's busted out on the outside.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That was a lazy narrative then, and it's been proven to be ridiculous in the NFL.

Ironically, where is Reagor likely to play this year?  The slot, because he's busted out on the outside.

He wishes he could play the slot. He‘s riding the bench.

And yeah, Jefferson has proven to be an outside corner. But if teams had any idea he‘d be all that, he would‘ve been taken earlier.

• Like 1

Just now, Infam said:

He wishes he could play the slot. He‘s riding the bench.

And yeah, Jefferson has proven to be an outside corner. But if teams had any idea he‘d be all that, he would‘ve been taken earlier.

Teams were stupid.  One of my favorite criticisms of Jefferson that year was, "He was benefitting from Chase".... while they fluffed up Ruggs and Jeudy who benefited from each other, Smith, Waddle and a ton of other 5 star recruits.  Just ridiculous double standard for LSU vs. Alabama.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

The choice should have been obvious (at least to which one not to take).  Howie was fixated on speed and ignored everything else.  

It's like two fast kids who run to the ice cream store. One kid is faster gets and there before the other kid. Only problem is, he doesn't have any money. The slower kid gets there, and he has money. Who wins? 😂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, downundermike said:

Even if Greg Ward was the QB, he would have easily doubled Reagor's 396 yards as a rookie.

Reagor has 695 yards in two years, Jefferson has 3016.  

That is so horrible for a 1st rounder lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Infam said:

I think the number 1 priority when drafting is "Did he consistently perform at a high level in college against similar talent?”

When the answer is no, that is a project player and you cannot go project in the middle of the first round.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, downundermike said:

Reagor has 695 yards in two years, Jefferson has 3016.  

:facepalm:

23 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Did you forget about the $100M contract?  4 very high picks, a few later round picks, and $100M.  Seems Howie is the kind of guy who buys a watch from a guy he meets on the street for $10, because it's a good deal.  Then, he'll realizes that watch has no mechanisms inside it... so the next time he's on that same street, he's smarter about it.  He buys that watch this time from a different guy for $20.  Turns out that one runs backwards.  So, the next time he's going to that street, he sees a different guy selling watches.  But he finally decides to go into a store and shop for a real watch.  

Just a couple months ago when other teams were trading for and/or signing big name WRs people around here said so glad Howie isn't do that.  Howie himself actually said just because the trend this offseason is paying big for a WR doesn't mean we need to, he said in fact he likes to do things apart from the trend...then he did the same thing, traded draft capital and signed a huge expensive contract.  

It will be interesting a year from now.  If they want to keep Hurts he's going into his final year and will want a contract extension, same with Slay entering his final year.  If they like Bradberry they'll need to extend him as well.  A few things to juggle there.  

36 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Just a couple months ago when other teams were trading for and/or signing big name WRs people around here said so glad Howie isn't do that.  Howie himself actually said just because the trend this offseason is paying big for a WR doesn't mean we need to, he said in fact he likes to do things apart from the trend...then he did the same thing, traded draft capital and signed a huge expensive contract.  

It will be interesting a year from now.  If they want to keep Hurts he's going into his final year and will want a contract extension, same with Slay entering his final year.  If they like Bradberry they'll need to extend him as well.  A few things to juggle there.  

Howie was probably talking about guys like Kirk that didn't warrant the money being thrown in their direction. Even Tyreek Hill, despite what he can do on the field, is a risk because of his baggage history. But Howie is smart enough with the money to understand that today's high contracts will be cheaper than next year's. 

We have some other guys on 1-year deals as well. It's possible Howie is prepping for a compensatory windfall.

I do wonder how much Montae's influence had on the pick. Howie was around when he was here in 2007 and maybe he thought that his kid would have turned out to be a good pro.

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

I do wonder how much Montae's influence had on the pick. Howie was around when he was here in 2007 and maybe he thought that his kid would have turned out to be a good pro.

He still might, but his opportunity here might be gone, barring injury. 

I think Howie got enamored with what Reagor could become as opposed to what his college numbers were.  All these guys come out of college at different development levels, some being "pro ready" and some needing some coaching up and better situations.  But that's the biggest unknown in the talent evaluation process........whether a guy is at his peak of development or will he get better.  

Reagor has struggled to the point that very few believe he can be productive.  But Sirianni and Morehead have shown support for him but this is his last chance, at least here in Philly.

19 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I think Howie got enamored with what Reagor could become as opposed to what his college numbers were.  All these guys come out of college at different development levels, some being "pro ready" and some needing some coaching up and better situations.  But that's the biggest unknown in the talent evaluation process........whether a guy is at his peak of development or will he get better.  

Reagor has struggled to the point that very few believe he can be productive.  But Sirianni and Morehead have shown support for him but this is his last chance, at least here in Philly.

Don't listen to their words, watch their actions.  By the end of the year, Reagor was getting fewer snaps than Watkins.  Now, Reagor has fallen to no higher than 4 on the depth chart, possibly 5... if even that high.  

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Don't listen to their words, watch their actions.  By the end of the year, Reagor was getting fewer snaps than Watkins.  Now, Reagor has fallen to no higher than 4 on the depth chart, possibly 5... if even that high.  

That's true......but coaches know when a player's confidence is shot and sometimes sitting him is a good idea.  In Reagor's case, his confidence was shot AND they needed more production.

Like what Pedersen did with Agholor.  Reagor is unlikely to become anything more than a 3rd or 4th receiver, but I still think they're going to give him this one last shot.

2 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

That's true......but coaches know when a player's confidence is shot and sometimes sitting him is a good idea.  In Reagor's case, his confidence was shot AND they needed more production.

Like what Pedersen did with Agholor.  Reagor is unlikely to become anything more than a 3rd or 4th receiver, but I still think they're going to give him this one last shot.

He wont get much time ober a healthy Brown, or Smith.  Then Watkins is the better deep threat, and Pascal is a better big body and blocker.  Reagor's only spot left is as punt returner and they signed a UDFA with some history of that, he's not guaranteed even a roster spot anymore.  And since he was Doug's pick, there will be no one fighting hard to keep him around this year, even though he's more expensive to cut than keep.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:58 AM, pallidrone said:

Where did I say that Reagor was better than Jefferson?

I believe they both would have busted out here.

Jefferson may have had a better route tree than Reagor but his routes were sloppy, he had trouble with separation which is why he was regulated to the slot and he was a complacent WR with no real fire.  I wanted nothing to do with Jefferson in Philly. I applauded the Reagor pick only because it was not Jefferson.

The pick that should have been made was Aiyuk.

Uhh, no. Jefferson is easily the best of the three. He easily had the best college career. He was a superstar on a historically great college offense. He should have been the pick.

• Like 3

This is very simple.

569 yds, 5 TDs

1059 yds, 14 TDs

Those are DK Metcalf's yards in his last year of college compared to JJAW.  Metcalf was obviously the far more explosive athlete.

Reagor was supposed to be the explosive guy in 2020.  That's why Howie took Reagor's lack of college production less seriously and took him over other, better WRs.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:57 AM, Iggles_Phan said:

Teams were stupid.  One of my favorite criticisms of Jefferson that year was, "He was benefitting from Chase".... while they fluffed up Ruggs and Jeudy who benefited from each other, Smith, Waddle and a ton of other 5 star recruits.  Just ridiculous double standard for LSU vs. Alabama.

Yeah and that stupidity continues. How else could we have gotten Dean in the 3rd round.

On 5/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, time2rock said:

:facepalm:

Not trying to defend Reagor, but just want to point out he has been stuck the last two years on some of the historically worst Eagles passing offenses.

6 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Yeah and that stupidity continues. How else could we have gotten Dean in the 3rd round.

I assume his size and injury were the driving factors there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Not trying to defend Reagor, but just want to point out he has been stuck the last two years on some of the historically worst Eagles passing offenses.

He's been outproduced by Quez Watkins on the same team.

• Like 1