Jalen Reagor trade rumors, he removes Eagles from social media

Mr-Bueno

16 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It's not a whole lot different to me than drafting Dillard with a 1st rd pick and having a 7th rounder from the year before win the job. It would be great if every pick worked out. That doesn't happen. But we drafted 3 WRs in 2020 because we were looking for someone to make the team better. A first round pick is usually going to be the most likely person to do that, but late round picks can sometimes be that guy. After 2018 and 2019, the goal was to find a guy with speed that can become a deep threat. Reagor, Hightower, and Watkins were all known for their speed. 

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this team is "pathetic" this season. It seems to me this has the makings of a very, very good team. I'm looking forward to 2022. 

I remember 1990 - Eagles drafted 3 WRs - Mike Bellamy in the 2nd round, Fred Barnett in the 3d round, Calvin Wms in the 4th round.  Bellamy sucked and never caught a pass.  He played a hot 6 games in his NFL career.  Arkansas Fred put together a nice career.  Who can forget that 95 yard bomb into the wind at Buffalo?  Calvin Wms also had a good career with the Eagles.  But as you correctly note, sometimes the later picks turn out to be the better one.  If they're good, who cares where they were drafted.

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It's not a whole lot different to me than drafting Dillard with a 1st rd pick and having a 7th rounder from the year before win the job. It would be great if every pick worked out. That doesn't happen. But we drafted 3 WRs in 2020 because we were looking for someone to make the team better. A first round pick is usually going to be the most likely person to do that, but late round picks can sometimes be that guy. After 2018 and 2019, the goal was to find a guy with speed that can become a deep threat. Reagor, Hightower, and Watkins were all known for their speed. 

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this team is "pathetic" this season. It seems to me this has the makings of a very, very good team. I'm looking forward to 2022. 

Allocation of resources is why it matters.  Reagor's draft status also leads to his contract structure that makes him more expensive to cut than keep.  Reagor was also a horrible pick due to whom else was available and were widely acknowledged as better prospects.  I'll add that this team didn't have the luxury of focusing only on speed for their WR, which is why they've had to double dip at WR since then, after screwing up with a 2nd round pick with JJAW.  4 very high picks plus more in the trades involved in 4 straight years at WR.  That's pathetic.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Allocation of resources is why it matters.  Reagor's draft status also leads to his contract structure that makes him more expensive to cut than keep.  Reagor was also a horrible pick due to whom else was available and were widely acknowledged as better prospects.  I'll add that this team didn't have the luxury of focusing only on speed for their WR, which is why they've had to double dip at WR since then, after screwing up with a 2nd round pick with JJAW.  4 very high picks plus more in the trades involved in 4 straight years at WR.  That's pathetic.

Hindsight.

Reagor was one of 9 WRs expected to potentially be a 1st round pick in a deep WR draft. The 1st 2 WRs picked turned out to be Ruggs and Jeudy. We already know about Ruggs and now Jeudy was arrested. Neither of these two have lived up to their hype or draft position even before their legal issues. Some early mocks had us getting Ruggs --- something just about every fan at the time felt sounded too good to be true. The later mocks mostly had us picking Jefferson after the big-3 were picked (including Lamb who was expected to be the 1st WR off the board) and very few Eagles fans wanted Jefferson at that time.  Immediately after the draft, the only real lamenting Eagles fans were vocal about was not trading up to get Lamb after he slid. Nobody was crying about not getting Jefferson. 

Reagor had the makings of a true boom or bust player. I believe the Eagles envisioned him becoming their "Tyreek Hill." Like so many fans, I think the Eagles pegged Jefferson as a slot WR and simply wanted a guy that could line up at Z and scare defenses with his speed. As I mentioned --- hindsight. We know a lot more now. Also, we did seemingly have the luxury of looking for speed. We had Jeffery and thought we had found his replacement a year earlier in JJAW. Jeffery never looked the same post-injury and JJAW obviously didn't pan out. Bringing back DJax also proved to be futile. 

So the Eagles had some big swings that were misses. In the end, our WR corps appears to be in good shape with Smith, Brown and Watkins. Our O-line remains a strength even with an influx of youth. Our defense, on paper, may be stronger than any we've had in the last 2 decades. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Hindsight.

Reagor was one of 9 WRs expected to potentially be a 1st round pick in a deep WR draft. The 1st 2 WRs picked turned out to be Ruggs and Jeudy. We already know about Ruggs and now Jeudy was arrested. Neither of these two have lived up to their hype or draft position even before their legal issues. Some early mocks had us getting Ruggs --- something just about every fan at the time felt sounded too good to be true. The later mocks mostly had us picking Jefferson after the big-3 were picked (including Lamb who was expected to be the 1st WR off the board) and very few Eagles fans wanted Jefferson at that time.  Immediately after the draft, the only real lamenting Eagles fans were vocal about was not trading up to get Lamb after he slid. Nobody was crying about not getting Jefferson. 

Reagor had the makings of a true boom or bust player. I believe the Eagles envisioned him becoming their "Tyreek Hill." Like so many fans, I think the Eagles pegged Jefferson as a slot WR and simply wanted a guy that could line up at Z and scare defenses with his speed. As I mentioned --- hindsight. We know a lot more now. Also, we did seemingly have the luxury of looking for speed. We had Jeffery and thought we had found his replacement a year earlier in JJAW. Jeffery never looked the same post-injury and JJAW obviously didn't pan out. Bringing back DJax also proved to be futile. 

So the Eagles had some big swings that were misses. In the end, our WR corps appears to be in good shape with Smith, Brown and Watkins. Our O-line remains a strength even with an influx of youth. Our defense, on paper, may be stronger than any we've had in the last 2 decades. 

Completely not true. Yes we were interested in some of the higher drafted receivers, but literally everyone I knew who saw Jefferson possibly dropping were screaming for either him or Lamb. We didn’t care, just wanted one of the two. Then Howie made the pick heard round the world and my phone freaking blew up flipping about this dumb pick. 

Look fans aren’t right half the time, but the collective football world saw Jefferson as a gift falling in our laps and we passed on him. Howie deserves every ounce of criticism he gets for this move. Just like praise he gets for some of his other moves. I have a facebook post I reshape every year that just says God F ing Damnit Why?!?!

which magically was five seconds after passing on Jefferson for Raegor. 

56 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Hindsight.

False.   Jefferson was ranked higher than Reagor by just about everyone.   I had Jefferson as the number 1 WR in that draft, personally.  So, don't try that hindsight stuff.  Reagor was a bad pick at the time, and in hindsight it looks even worse.  Nothing hindsight about it.

56 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Immediately after the draft, the only real lamenting Eagles fans were vocal about was not trading up to get Lamb after he slid. Nobody was crying about not getting Jefferson. 

Also false.  Quite a few people were extremely upset about the team not drafting Jefferson, myself included.   Just because you weren't keeping up on it doesn't mean it is hindsight now.  There was plenty of outcry about Jefferson at the time.  There were also others that were very high on Higgins and some for Claypool.

• Like 3

Jefferson wouldn't have had the production if he had been drafted by the eagles.  He played with an experienced and proficient QB in Cousins.  The eagles had a struggling Carson Wentz behind a decimated offensive line.

I'm not suggesting that Reagor was the better pick, Howie was clearly looking for a certain type of WR......And I seriously wonder what jefferson would have done here when the leading receiver that year was Greg Ward.  Wentz clearly preferred the tight ends and backs.   Maybe Jefferson would have changed it, but it's more likely that Jefferson's numbers would have been half of what he did in Minnesota.

Reagor will get one more shot at being a contributor.....unless he's included in a trade somehow.   

• Like 4

Dude is like 5th on the depth chart at this point who cares, he's a bust move on

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Hindsight.

No, quite a few of us were saying get Jefferson once Lamb was gone and were pissed. Look at the archives. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Jefferson wouldn't have had the production if he had been drafted by the eagles.  He played with an experienced and proficient QB in Cousins.  The eagles had a struggling Carson Wentz behind a decimated offensive line.

I'm not suggesting that Reagor was the better pick, Howie was clearly looking for a certain type of WR......And I seriously wonder what jefferson would have done here when the leading receiver that year was Greg Ward.  Wentz clearly preferred the tight ends and backs.   Maybe Jefferson would have changed it, but it's more likely that Jefferson's numbers would have been half of what he did in Minnesota.

Reagor will get one more shot at being a contributor.....unless he's included in a trade somehow.   

False equivalence fallacy.   The question is, would he have been a significant update from the train wreck that Reagor has been?   Most definitely.   

Next question, would Wentz have struggled a little less with a competent WR on the field?  We'll never know.   Perhaps Wentz clearly preferred the TEs and backs because they were where they were supposed to be.  2017 Wentz didn't prefer TEs and backs, he threw to the WRs a great deal.  In 2018, the trust in WRs started to erode as the WRs became less reliable and more injured.  In 2019, he was left with Robert Davis, Deontay Burnett, and Greg Ward.  And it got weaker in 2020 with Travis Fulgham as the leading receiver in terms of yards and Ward in terms of receptions.

Regardless of what Jefferson's stats would have been... his SKILLS far exceed Reagor's and he'd have been a better option on the field.  There's no debating that.  Arguing that they screwed up by not drafting Jefferson and selecting Reagor instead because Jefferson wouldn't have been as ridiculously productive as he was in Minny if he were here is just a logical fallacy.  No one is suggesting that he'd have been a Pro Bowler here, but he would have been a massive upgrade here over Reagor.  Otherwise, we shouldn't have traded for Brown now, because he won't be as productive here as he was in Tennessee.  In Tennessee he had an experienced and more proficient QB in Tannehill.  

23 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Dude is like 5th on the depth chart at this point who cares, he's a bust move on

If only the Eagles would.  But, he'll be back again this year and he'll stick around.  And we'll reap the benefits.  👍

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

No, quite a few of us were saying get Jefferson once Lamb was gone and were pissed. Look at the archives. 

I was saying Jefferson before Lamb was selected.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

False equivalence fallacy.   The question is, would he have been a significant update from the train wreck that Reagor has been?   Most definitely.   

Next question, would Wentz have struggled a little less with a competent WR on the field?  We'll never know.   Perhaps Wentz clearly preferred the TEs and backs because they were where they were supposed to be.  2017 Wentz didn't prefer TEs and backs, he threw to the WRs a great deal.  In 2018, the trust in WRs started to erode as the WRs became less reliable and more injured.  In 2019, he was left with Robert Davis, Deontay Burnett, and Greg Ward.  And it got weaker in 2020 with Travis Fulgham as the leading receiver in terms of yards and Ward in terms of receptions.

Regardless of what Jefferson's stats would have been... his SKILLS far exceed Reagor's and he'd have been a better option on the field.  There's no debating that.  Arguing that they screwed up by not drafting Jefferson and selecting Reagor instead because Jefferson wouldn't have been as ridiculously productive as he was in Minny if he were here is just a logical fallacy.  No one is suggesting that he'd have been a Pro Bowler here, but he would have been a massive upgrade here over Reagor.  Otherwise, we shouldn't have traded for Brown now, because he won't be as productive here as he was in Tennessee.  In Tennessee he had an experienced and more proficient QB in Tannehill.  

If only the Eagles would.  But, he'll be back again this year and he'll stick around.  And we'll reap the benefits.  👍

That cuts both ways.

The question was not would he have made them better, but could he have made them better. And the answer is maybe.

JJ had the luxury of playing on a running team that already had a #1 WR while playing with a chip on his shoulder because Reagor was taken before him. He would have come here where Doug forced the pass, the oline had issues and he would have been expected to perform day one. We don't know what his mental makeup would have been. He might not have played with the same fire. He might have shriveled up over the weight of the Eagles press and fanbase weighed down on him.

So no he would not have made them better because we have no idea.

Anyone send us a cold bucket of pee for him yet?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

That cuts both ways.

The question was not would he have made them better, but could he have made them better. And the answer is maybe.

JJ had the luxury of playing on a running team that already had a #1 WR while playing with a chip on his shoulder because Reagor was taken before him. He would have come here where Doug forced the pass, the oline had issues and he would have been expected to perform day one. We don't know what his mental makeup would have been. He might not have played with the same fire. He might have shriveled up over the weight of the Eagles press and fanbase weighed down on him.

So no he would not have made them better because we have no idea.

No, it doesn't.  The question is was Jefferson the better pick than Reagor.  There's no universe in which the answer is not a clear "YES!"  Jefferson was a known product coming into the NFL.  He had a developed route tree, he had wide receiver skills, better hands and actually knew how to create separation... at LSU and he brought that to the NFL.  His skill set, which was clearly superior to Reagor, is not up for debate.  Jefferson was the obvious choice, Howie went with the big swing on the raw athlete, who came in to the Combine overweight, slow and less agile than expected.  There's no way to defend Reagor over Jefferson, but I applaud your effort to blame external factors to excuse Reagor's bust status.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No, it doesn't.  The question is was Jefferson the better pick than Reagor.  There's no universe in which the answer is not a clear "YES!"  Jefferson was a known product coming into the NFL.  He had a developed route tree, he had wide receiver skills, better hands and actually knew how to create separation... at LSU and he brought that to the NFL.  His skill set, which was clearly superior to Reagor, is not up for debate.  Jefferson was the obvious choice, Howie went with the big swing on the raw athlete, who came in to the Combine overweight, slow and less agile than expected.  There's no way to defend Reagor over Jefferson, but I applaud your effort to blame external factors to excuse Reagor's bust status.  

Where did I say that Reagor was better than Jefferson?

I believe they both would have busted out here.

Jefferson may have had a better route tree than Reagor but his routes were sloppy, he had trouble with separation which is why he was regulated to the slot and he was a complacent WR with no real fire.  I wanted nothing to do with Jefferson in Philly. I applauded the Reagor pick only because it was not Jefferson.

The pick that should have been made was Aiyuk.

27 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Where did I say that Reagor was better than Jefferson?

I believe they both would have busted out here.

Jefferson may have had a better route tree than Reagor but his routes were sloppy, he had trouble with separation which is why he was regulated to the slot and he was a complacent WR with no real fire.  I wanted nothing to do with Jefferson in Philly. I applauded the Reagor pick only because it was not Jefferson.

The pick that should have been made was Aiyuk.

:blink:. Ok, we're done here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Jefferson may have had a better route tree than Reagor but his routes were sloppy, he had trouble with separation which is why he was regulated to the slot and he was a complacent WR with no real fire.

All false.  Jefferson was the most pro ready route runner of anyone in that draft.

13 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Is that supposed to be a good defense for blowing a first round pick on Reagor?  Maybe a better pick and they don't need to go back to back in Round 1 the next year with Smith... or maybe if they still do that, they don't need to spend first round capital 3 straight years and trade for Brown.

Dumping 3 straight first round picks into the same position is what pathetic teams do.

While it's true that every team has draft misses, the Eagles have failed so many times at WR.  It's not just taking Reagor over Jefferson.  They took Jordan Matthews instead of Davante Adams, they took JJAW because they thought he was an Alshon Jeffrey clone, they took Reagor because that year they had no draft plan other than to draft speed and spent 4 draft picks on WRs in one draft (Reagor, Watkins, Hightower, traded for Marquise Goodwin).  Because of that failure, they had to use a top 10 pick to draft yet another WR in Smith instead of taking Micah Parsons.  While Smith looks good, it's been proven that having a top WR doesn't equate to championships and it will be interesting to see how his vs Parson's careers go.  Hopefully Dean works out at LB for us to make that not matter. 

But to your point, they have failed so much at that position and got themselves into contracts that make it harder to cut for a position that isn't going to put you over the top for a championship.  Meanwhile they have had to cobble together free agents and trades in the secondary.  Now that they have Smith, Brown and Watkins they should finally be set at WR.  So yeah they eventually got there but every couple years Howie has to learn how to be a GM again and fix his own mistakes.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

All false.  Jefferson was the most pro ready route runner of anyone in that draft.

Weaknesses
  • Spread scheme threw field wide open for him
  • Needs more attention to detail with his routes
  • Too complacent to beat coverage with athletic ability
  • Unable to run away and separate from tight man
  • Size and strength across from him impede production
  • Will take time adjusting to press looks as a pro
  • Limited one-on-one prowess to win 50/50 throws
  • Separation talent just average outside

2 minutes ago, pallidrone said:
Weaknesses
  • Spread scheme threw field wide open for him
  • Needs more attention to detail with his routes
  • Too complacent to beat coverage with athletic ability
  • Unable to run away and separate from tight man
  • Size and strength across from him impede production
  • Will take time adjusting to press looks as a pro
  • Limited one-on-one prowess to win 50/50 throws
  • Separation talent just average outside

I disagree with all of those things.  I watched him play, that is a load of BS

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

While it's true that every team has draft misses, the Eagles have failed so many times at WR.  It's not just taking Reagor over Jefferson.  They took Jordan Matthews instead of Davante Adams, they took JJAW because they thought he was an Alshon Jeffrey clone, they took Reagor because that year they had no draft plan other than to draft speed and spent 4 draft picks on WRs in one draft (Reagor, Watkins, Hightower, traded for Marquise Goodwin).  Because of that failure, they had to use a top 10 pick to draft yet another WR in Smith instead of taking Micah Parsons.  While Smith looks good, it's been proven that having a top WR doesn't equate to championships and it will be interesting to see how his vs Parson's careers go.  Hopefully Dean works out at LB for us to make that not matter. 

But to your point, they have failed so much at that position and got themselves into contracts that make it harder to cut for a position that isn't going to put you over the top for a championship.  Meanwhile they have had to cobble together free agents and trades in the secondary.  Now that they have Smith, Brown and Watkins they should finally be set at WR.  So yeah they eventually got there but every couple years Howie has to learn how to be a GM again and fix his own mistakes.  

yup-uhuh.gif

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

I disagree with all of those things.  I watched him play, that is a load of BS

You can disagree with it all you want, a lot of scouting reports said the same thing. The one thing that a lot of them said was that he was better suited as a #2 WR.

Jefferson fell into the absolute best situation for him to succeed. A running team with a #1 WR with no expectations thrown on him to succeed right away.

Neither Jefferson, Metcalf, nor Adams has delivered a Superbowl for the teams they play for.

Its what i keep telling myself so i can go to sleep at night.

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Hindsight.

Victim asked for the charges to be dropped

So it's just Ruggs

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

:blink:. Ok, we're done here.

Well we do have Hurts as our quarterback so he has a point

22 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

You can disagree with it all you want, a lot of scouting reports said the same thing. The one thing that a lot of them said was that he was better suited as a #2 WR.

Jefferson fell into the absolute best situation for him to succeed. A running team with a #1 WR with no expectations thrown on him to succeed right away.

So if there was expectations he would not have broken Randy Moss rookie receiving record ??