EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, RLC said:

I bought an EV and haven't regretted it since.

I have been looking at the Hummer ev , first edition , really nice vehicle …. Waiting list of 2 years

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Speaking of muscle cars.  I just saw that Dodge announced next year is the last year for the Charger and Challenger and no more Hemi production...EV.  The Corvette is going EV and the Camaro is getting axed for an EV sedan. 

I understand the need to have EV options but I think it's a really bad move to go straight to EV and not have a combustion engine option at all.  There are a lot of people out there who will never get an EV.  It's just not feasible to have the entire country buy an EV let alone having a power grid to support them.  

Love my Internal Combustion.

Got a 95 Jeep Wrangler I built up from scratch. Will go up a tree if I asked it to, but not on batteries...

Where's the Love for the renaissance guys?  B-)

40 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Hybrids are coming on for that reason, for a lot of families, an EV for around the town and a hybrid for long trips.

Hybrids double the gas mileage, give you great acceleration but also have a lot longer range.

They're a good compromise until improvements in battery technology (double both the range and the charging rate) make EVs more feasible for most people.

No one who has driven a Prius will say it has good acceleration. I think the cost benefit analysis for Hybrids is still a little out of whack compared a gas model even with higher gas prices.  So the economics don't necessarily make sense but it depends on how much you drive.  

44 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Hybrids are coming on for that reason, for a lot of families, an EV for around the town and a hybrid for long trips.

Hybrids double the gas mileage, give you great acceleration but also have a lot longer range.

They're a good compromise until improvements in battery technology (double both the range and the charging rate) make EVs more feasible for most people.

Yup.  Great solution, for people that can afford to buy two overpriced vehicles.  That's the way to show that you understand the average joe.  

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup.  Great solution, for people that can afford to buy two overpriced vehicles.  That's the way to show that you understand the average joe.  

Catering the "average joe" is what leads to problems.

42 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I recently traded in my Optima hybrid because the hybrid battery gauge was hitting the very top of the range, where it never went beyond just over half for the first 100,000 miles.  Kia does not service the hybrid battery as part of their maintenance service intervals, nor would they offer any warranty protection on the hybrid battery, nor would they guarantee the car would operate if/when the battery gave out, nor would they quote a price less than $13,000 to replace the hybrid battery if it no longer worked as required.

I like saving on gas, but a potential $13,000 battery replacement bill made my choice for me.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Just look how many low income people HAVE to buy a super cheap used car even if they know it has issues.  They have to get from A to B somehow.  What about families buying kids their first cars?  Not sure what the budget is these days but I'd think between 5-7k for a high school kids first car, if that.  You'll never find an EV for that cost.  

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

But completely overlooking the average joe will cause just as many.

Just now, RLC said:

Ok.  Pick whatever term you prefer.  How about just those that can't afford two overpriced cars and are living paycheck to paycheck?  Or, perhaps we can cater to the Richie Riches.   That's a better plan.  Gas is too expensive... so buy a $60K+ car, then you don't need to pay for gas.  Just have to pay to have a charging station installed at your home... and figure out how to finance that beast, that you can't take on a road trip with your family.

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Just look how many low income people HAVE to buy a super cheap used car even if they know it has issues.  They have to get from A to B somehow.  What about families buying kids their first cars?  Not sure what the budget is these days but I'd think between 5-7k for a high school kids first car, if that.  You'll never find an EV for that cost.  

That's my history.  I was the first person in my family to buy a new car.  I had it for 12 years, ran it into the ground.  Then bought a second new car.  And that one is up to 10 years.   All the rest bought used... and then replaced it every 3 or so years because it was done.

And I am at that point where my son just turned 16 and I have to decide what we are going to do, as we are a 1 car family currently.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Ok.  Pick whatever term you prefer.  How about just those that can't afford two overpriced cars and are living paycheck to paycheck?  Or, perhaps we can cater to the Richie Riches.   That's a better plan.  Gas is too expensive... so buy a $60K+ car, then you don't need to pay for gas.  Just have to pay to have a charging station installed at your home... and figure out how to finance that beast, that you can't take on a road trip with your family.

Creating a system where you're convincing everyone to get a car is the actual problem.

I really want an electric vehicle eventually. I know a few people who drive Teslas and every single one of them love it. I’ve never spoken to anyone personally whose driven one and doesn’t love them. But I don’t think they’re enough charging stations yet to take full advantage and I also don’t drive a lot. So holding off for now. Also, I also have considered moving out of country, and if I do, depending on where I go I may not need a vehicle at all.

Can’t wait to see how good the battery technology can get to eventually.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Even if you could roadtrip you'd have to plan around charge stations, compute the time needed for a recharge and so on.  If you don't time it right, you might have to spend an extra night at a hotel so there's that too. 

The best EV gets what?  300 miles to a charge?  Rapid charge takes 30 minutes to add 200 miles.  So split your trip up by 200 miles, add 30 minutes for every charge.  Perfect.

Just now, RLC said:

Creating a system where you're convincing everyone to get a car is the actual problem.

There's no convincing.  Ever since the car was invented, the car became a symbol for freedom.  It still is.  A car means freedom to go where you want, when you want and as far as you want.  

25 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Depends on whose carrying the gun.

Whose packing heat at a youth football game???

Like I said I coached 9th graders for 7 years, lots of parents and coaches and refs all get heated and yell, there were always at least a pair of officers on the field.

We played in some rougher areas to where one might expect some dudes to be packing heat but one would expect those carrying to be gang banger highschool kids not parents and definitely not coaches.

Just really no reason for a coach or a parent to be packing heat at a youth football game 

Leave your gun in your safe at home...

Yeah, it's most effective there. As I said, a Reasonable person, off duty cop , well trained individual, etc  should not need to employ a weapon in most circumstances. What happens when a lunatic a hole starts shooting up the place? McDonalds, the local Deli, Your daughter's school bus stop?

Yeah, I'm glad my firearm is home nicely tucked away in my gun safe with the clip separated by 10 ft.  I will take my personal safety into my own hands, Thank you, and not rely on a 20 minute Police response.

This is a divisive issue, no doubt but I would rather sing over your grave than have you sing over mine. 

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

There's no convincing.  Ever since the car was invented, the car became a symbol for freedom.  It still is.  A car means freedom to go where you want, when you want and as far as you want.  

Freedom isn't free. There's both a financial and environmental cost. Frankly, cars are not expensive enough.

The average car note is close to $650 a month AND the average loan term is increasing. People can't even afford cars now. Used car prices are through the roof and are only starting to slightly level off. I've never bought a brand new car, but the demand is there for these high priced vehicles. So much so that dealerships are selling way over MSRP.

Just now, RLC said:

Freedom isn't free. There's both a financial and environmental cost. Frankly, cars are not expensive enough.

No one said it was.   But, sure... let's increase the price of cars, so that people who are struggling to pay for groceries now will struggle even more to be able to get to work at all.  

1 minute ago, RLC said:

What's the alternative? There are very few cities you can live and work without a car.

1 minute ago, wussbasket said:

What's the alternative? There are very few cities you can live and work without a car.

Best India Traffic GIFs | Gfycat

21 hours ago, wussbasket said:

They are moving away from the Hemi V8 and switching to a turbocharged inline 6 that will pump out more ponies and be more fuel efficient. I think you will have a long transition period with many on hybrids for awhile before everyone is fully on EV's.

As for getting rid of the Charger and Challenger, I hope they don't turn them into an EV that looks nothing like them like Ford did with the "Mustang" Mach-E. Would be better to market it as a new vehicle instead of spinning an EV off the Charger and Challenger.

I think the average car age on the road is around 12 years now, so it will happen slowly. Just like we still have classic cars on the road today, you will still see ICE vehicles on the road 20+ years from now, just obviously a lot less.

They always seem to try to modify the Classic look of our old favorites to make em more streamlined, aerodynamic. whatever..

Leave the Winners alone! New Camaros look like CRVs, Malibus, Novas long gone, even Vettes are getting the slice.

Shame!

11 minutes ago, RLC said:

Exactly -- I can feed my horse for $300 per month, and it's so convenient

See the source image

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Most EV's aren't Teslas.  

20 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I recently traded in my Optima hybrid because the hybrid battery gauge was hitting the very top of the range, where it never went beyond just over half for the first 100,000 miles.  Kia does not service the hybrid battery as part of their maintenance service intervals, nor would they offer any warranty protection on the hybrid battery, nor would they guarantee the car would operate if/when the battery gave out, nor would they quote a price less than $13,000 to replace the hybrid battery if it no longer worked as required.

I like saving on gas, but a potential $13,000 battery replacement bill made my choice for me.

I had a Prius and put 200,000 miles on it with no repairs or problems.  The battery was warrantied for 100,000 but people are using them for far longer.  I looked at one of the Kia's when my wife was looking for a car a couple of years ago but the battery was one of my concerns with it.  

12 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Building an appropriate infrastructure,  but that is rarely a priority.

20 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's my history.  I was the first person in my family to buy a new car.  I had it for 12 years, ran it into the ground.  Then bought a second new car.  And that one is up to 10 years.   All the rest bought used... and then replaced it every 3 or so years because it was done.

And I am at that point where my son just turned 16 and I have to decide what we are going to do, as we are a 1 car family currently.

I got a job at 14 to buy my own car at 16. 4000 cash for my 98 dodge neon coupe.

Archived