EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The Cubs banned the OK symbol guy and put out a statement faster than Amazon has reacted/put a statement out regarding an employee directly involved in a murder.  

Sounds about right for 2022.

Amazon's not really known for their employee relations...

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Utebird said:

You know I'm not 10 years old Anymore right???

My life growing up in a religious family/culture and being sheltered from certain things in the world especially during the Satanic Panic if the 80s isn't unique to me, it's a pretty common story and why so many people like me relate to a show like Stranger Things.

I was one of those kids just like them that didn't fit in, that played D&D and hung out with the older  metal heads like Eddie.

I think being detached from reality is not realizing not every body grew up exactly like you so like any good little metal head would tell you, it's ok to stand up against those who would tell us how we should act or what we should say and do because it doesn't fit their view.

🤘

Grew up in a strict, military, Catholic family during the 80s.  Back then, and maybe they still do, Dad would call the "Catholic hotline" to see what movies, music and TV was acceptable.  On our TV, MTV was blocked.  Was not allowed to watch Fox which had The Simpsons and Married With Children.

Any CD or tape he bought me, he read the jacket first to make sure he approved of the lyrics.  To this day, he has a brand new Tevin Campbell CD that I wanted but it had very sexual lyrics so he didn't give it to me.  

I was pretty sheltered from pop culture, maybe that's why I think it's silly that society puts so much emphasis on pop culture.  I used my time playing with LEGOs and Construx, making model airplanes, playing outside and playing sports.   

Like you said, we aren't 10 anymore.  I've distanced myself from the Catholic religion due to man made issues but still use the traditional foundation of it for my beliefs and values. 

I never played D&D because I never was in to fantasy stuff.  I've always been a realist and whatnot but I LOVE Stranger Things.  

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Grew up in a strict, military, Catholic family during the 80s.  Back then, and maybe they still do, Dad would call the "Catholic hotline" to see what movies, music and TV was acceptable.  On our TV, MTV was blocked.  Was not allowed to watch Fox which had The Simpsons and Married With Children.

Any CD or tape he bought me, he read the jacket first to make sure he approved of the lyrics.  To this day, he has a brand new Tevin Campbell CD that I wanted but it had very sexual lyrics so he didn't give it to me.  

I was pretty sheltered from pop culture, maybe that's why I think it's silly that society puts so much emphasis on pop culture.  I used my time playing with LEGOs and Construx, making model airplanes, playing outside and playing sports.   

Like you said, we aren't 10 anymore.  I've distanced myself from the Catholic religion due to man made issues but still use the traditional foundation of it for my beliefs and values. 

I never played D&D because I never was in to fantasy stuff.  I've always been a realist and whatnot but I LOVE Stranger Things.  

Never knew there was a Catholic Hotline, that's nuts.😳

My parents weren't quite as involved as your dad seemed to be but yeah I get that.

Ive distanced myself from my religion for same reasons but like you say still hold true to alot if traditional foundations for beliefs and values 

Thanks for sharing though, I think there are a lot of us that have a lot more in common than we have different👍

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Never knew there was a Catholic Hotline, that's nuts.😳

My parents weren't quite as involved as your dad seemed to be but yeah I get that.

Ive distanced myself from my religion for same reasons but like you say still hold true to alot if traditional foundations for beliefs and values 

Thanks for sharing though, I think there are a lot of us that have a lot more in common than we have different👍

I wonder what we all did as kids to "play" pre-technology.  We had a low and long coffee table that my dad's buddy made for us.  The ends of it had built in ash trays even though no one in the family smoked.  That table was used for puzzles, model making, LEGOs, paper football and one of our favorite things was using a LEGO tire as a puck and pencil as a hockey stick.  We'd spend hours upon hours doing those things.

All while this played Dads records and tapes. 

SOLDglass stereo cabinet- return to the 70s! - and ...

59 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

What sort of person carries a gun to coach a youth football game. That is incredibly stupid and leads to heat of the moment reaction.  Nothing good can come from that sort of action.  

Because anyone carrying a gun is apt to lose their mind and just start shooting up the place.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

I wonder what we all did as kids to "play" pre-technology.  We had a low and long coffee table that my dad's buddy made for us.  The ends of it had built in ash trays even though no one in the family smoked.  That table was used for puzzles, model making, LEGOs, paper football and one of our favorite things was using a LEGO tire as a puck and pencil as a hockey stick.  We'd spend hours upon hours doing those things.

That's quite the set up,👍

Those were the days...

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

That's quite the set up,👍

Those were the days...

oh, that's a generic image I pulled but his was pretty epic.  Still in the basement.  Wonder what the value is these days. 

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

oh, that's a generic image I pulled but his was pretty epic.  Still in the basement.  Wonder what the value is these days. 

At least a buck two fifty

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Married with Children minus the two story colonial on a shoe salesman’s salary was the realest show on TV, except for maybe Cheers in situations that could happen in real life.  
 One advantage of growing up non religious (besides Christmas) was not having some sort of irrational anger towards the 2 Jewish families in my neighborhood.  Their houses would get wrecked on every mischief night and I used to protect one kid that was all my friends ages from getting beat up daily at the bus stop.   Played every sport from 8am to 8pm, and not once did any of my friends ask why I protected that kid, they just would call him Jewie boy, and said I was too close to Satan to understand why I should hate him and his family. 
 You make one little joke at a neighborhood picnic about a day being called "Good Friday”, since how good could it of been getting pegged to a cross, and it never leaves you. 

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yeah my dad still has his old set up too, though I think he got new speakers😁

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

image.jpeg.11dc67883237a1a3920873bde9f332d6.jpeg

I wonder how our Dads moved the TV’s that weighed as much as Jordan Davis. 

29 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I thought for sure he was going to be the pick, I remember watching and when they said Jalen Hurts I was just as shocked as probably everyone else. Weird day, weird pick still ti this day.

But hey if chinn we're the pick what would we talk about in here🤔

Our 2020 and 2021 Superbowl victories of course...

3 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Lol my dad had one of those but instead of a TV it was a stereo that also had a record player in the top under a slide compartment.

6 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Men were men back then.  Men moved heavy crap, got a hernia, and didn't cry about it.

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Lol my dad had one of those but instead of a TV it was a stereo that also had a record player in the top under a slide compartment.

The picture I posted it had a TV, speakers in the ends, and a record player and 8 track player on top

20 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think thats the exact one that was in my house growing up, but ours was black. That 9 disc CD changer was cool. 

1 hour ago, The Blackfish said:

That’s when Metallica turned gay, or pop, same thing really.

Have you heard of an A-10 Warthog?  It sounds like this flying into battle.

I may be one of these strapping young lads on stage...        this was another lifetime ago.

https://rumble.com/v1gcb5r-seek-and-destroy-live-trespass-band.html

10 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Had a 27'' tube TV that we carried up to the 7th floor of my dorm in college. At the time it was the biggest TV in the dorm because even if someone had a flatty, they were small and prohibitively expensive. I remember buying my first flatty. Samsung 23'' for 1200 dollars all because my gf won 2400 on a scratch off. 

But even before that, when I was living at home, my parents bought a 55'' hitatchi projector box TV. It was on wheels and took 2 people to bust their balls if you had to lift it. Like when it was delivered at the house, and when they eventually moved out of the house.

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think thats the exact one that was in my house growing up, but ours was black. That 9 disc CD changer was cool. 

Oh we didn't have CD's for some time.

OK how about this.  We used to RENT a VCR on Friday nights before we went to Blockbuster or A-Z Video.

Just now, bpac55 said:

Oh we didn't have CD's for some time.

OK how about this.  We used to RENT a VCR on Friday nights before we went to Blockbuster or A-Z Video.

I guess eventually VCRs were able to rewind the tapes. But I remember having a separate machine that was a video cassette rewinder. Youd watch a movie. Take it out of the VCR and put it in the rewinder when you were done with it. Rewind that tape and lets go return it to blockbuster!

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

I guess eventually VCRs were able to rewind the tapes. But I remember having a separate machine that was a video cassette rewinder. Youd watch a movie. Take it out of the VCR and put it in the rewinder when you were done with it. Rewind that tape and lets go return it to blockbuster!

They always had the rewind feature, but people swore that using it would wear out the VCR faster, so you'd get the rewinder to be faster and to save the wear and tear on the VCR.

Archived