Playstation 5

opengeo

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

Sony sent me a link to test the original back in like 2017ish maybe. Got the full kit, which I could return after 14 days or keep and they would charge me for it (I forget if it was MSRP or a discount). I used it once... can't even recall if I used it a second day or not, and shipped it back within my timeframe.

would be interesting to see when hard data releases 

I feel like I remember getting my PS4 in Nov of 2013 while I was living at my second apartment in Boston. I think I got a pre-order from 2 stores and they might have been doing a midnight release. The PS4 Pro I remember getting near thanksgiving of 2016 shortly after I moved back to Syracuse, around the time Final Fantasy 15 came out. So around a 3yr timeframe to get a boosted console. 

If PS5 gets a Pro within 2.5 (earliest timeline) years of launch, feels pretty comparable to what others have done. I feel like the One S was just shy of 3 years after the One released and the One X was about a year after the S? 

Well you hate first person so I could be imagine VR is somewhat a similar experience? I hate first person as well that's why I'm not so sure I'd like it. 

I guess the time frame for an updated console is correct but, these are different circumstances. They are only just getting out the OG regularly, so I just think it's a bit crazy to have 2 new ones coming out so soon after is what I'm getting at. 

26 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well you hate first person so I could be imagine VR is somewhat a similar experience? I hate first person as well that's why I'm not so sure I'd like it. 

I guess the time frame for an updated console is correct but, these are different circumstances. They are only just getting out the OG regularly, so I just think it's a bit crazy to have 2 new ones coming out so soon after is what I'm getting at. 

While it represented immersion in some ways (Skyrim was the game I attempted with it), graphically it felt way worse than a 65" (at the time) 4k screen, so I couldn't fathom why I would choose the VR version over the regular on-screen version. Had I tested more games or games designed specific to a VR environment it might have been different, but it kind of felt like taking that 1st person I don't care for and pairing it with lackluster visuals.

Now, there was a League Pass offering at the time (though it was select games) where you felt like you were sitting courtside. That I liked, but no clue if that still exists. The other issue was you couldn't pick your seat. There was a sideline half court and two baselines on each end. When in a half court offense it usually auto-switched you to a seat under that basket. Then after a score or change of possession the view switched to half court before swapping to the opposite ends baseline. You could move your head all around and it was basically as seamless as sitting in the arena and looking around however you wanted, but the constant auto-switching of the view was irksome. Maybe in later iterations you could stay in the same spot all game or click a button on a controller to control your movement to a different in-arena view? That would have almost been worth it. 

8 hours ago, Mat said:

I just got my dad the 5 for Christmas....

This is why I hate all these companies now

bro look at that website name. probably a virus 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mat said:

Free titles that have been available for almost 2.5 years when the pull it. I'm shocked it lasted more than a year, since it seemed like more of a "thank you" to early adopters of the console. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Free titles that have been available for almost 2.5 years when the pull it. I'm shocked it lasted more than a year, since it seemed like more of a "thank you" to early adopters of the console. 

Exactly, I got the games I wanted from it. I haven't even looked at it in over a year

19 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Exactly, I got the games I wanted from it. I haven't even looked at it in over a year

Sold back a to of games I’ll never touch to GameStop today. Got like $160. 

9 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Sold back a to of games I’ll never touch to GameStop today. Got like $160. 

Freaking GameStop I refuse to do business with them anymore. I just buy all downloads now. It's not worth the trip there anymore. 

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Freaking GameStop I refuse to do business with them anymore. I just buy all downloads now. It's not worth the trip there anymore. 

sometimes you gotta go there for the Pokemon cards though.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I offloaded a bunch of assassins creed, Fay cry, fallout, other random stuff like dying light, watchdogs titles, etc. I think all PS4 stuff I either won’t touch or the ones I will I’ve gotten downloads for over the years. Took that and flipped the GameStop credit into $160 in PS store gift cards, redeemed that and purchased an upcoming game digitally and still have like $100+ remaining balance 

• Like 1

I don't know if it's just that I hadn't looked through the PS+ included games or you get more from being premium but I went through and added a bunch of games that I procrastinated on getting. There were a lot of nice games that were included

Before they had these tiers, just owning a PS5 and having the PS+ membership gave you 20ish titles. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 2:30 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Have you ever played VR? I'm not sure if I'd like it. Always interested in it but, it's a good chunk a change to get and not like it 

The problem with PSVR was it was clunky as all hell and the developer support for it was near zero, a Colin McRae VR mode, Resi Evil 7 (which was genuinely f'ing terrifying and I would recommend) and Skyrim VR were pretty much the only major 3rd party titles I can recall that really came out, Gran Turismo and Astro Bot were the only big ticket Sony titles. It was bizarrely unsupported given it apparently shifted 5 million units who presumably were all like me desperate for content.

The PSVR 2 does look a lot better but I'll be holding onto my wallet this time until I see more games coming out, it does at least come with proper hand controllers this time which was another headache with the first one, because a lot of the best content required the move controllers to play properly and they were an expensive pain in the ass to get hold of towards the end.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The problem with PSVR was it was clunky as all hell and the developer support for it was near zero, a Colin McRae VR mode, Resi Evil 7 (which was genuinely f'ing terrifying and I would recommend) and Skyrim VR were pretty much the only major 3rd party titles I can recall that really came out, Gran Turismo and Astro Bot were the only big ticket Sony titles. It was bizarrely unsupported given it apparently shifted 5 million units who presumably were all like me desperate for content.

The PSVR 2 does look a lot better but I'll be holding onto my wallet this time until I see more games coming out, it does at least come with proper hand controllers this time which was another headache with the first one, because a lot of the best content required the move controllers to play properly and they were an expensive pain in the ass to get hold of towards the end.

I finally played through like 4 separate RE titles that I hadn't touched before within the past year (independent from the RE2 and RE3 remakes -- those I played also). RE was about the only thing that could get me to commit my way through nonsensical first person perspective 

My last 2 or 3 visits to Target, there have been at least 1 PS5 on the shelf. Last night I saw a Ragnarok bundle (all I've seen in the wild to date) AND a DigiPS5. TWO ON THE SHELF! The worls is ah-changin. 

17 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

PSVR2 is getting good reviews but that's a big price

Yeah, it's basically like buying a second PS5 and game, the Horizon VR thing looks great though.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:31 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'd be amazed if Sony has managed to slim the PS5 down that much in two years, if it was that easy they wouldn't have released it as the ridiculous flightbag sized lump it is now.

There's also no way given semiconductor shortages for the last 2 years AMD has supplied enough of a new architecture to launch a new console, even an update, in April.

Liquid cooling for a mass market consumer product seems a bit unlikely as well TBH. It's one thing putting them in top end gaming PC's built by enthusiasts, but it's over complex for a unit that will sell millions across the world, when air cooling works and they went to so much trouble to overcome the issues of using liquid metal as a thermal conductor between chip and heat sink.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Played

Last of Us

God Of War 

Ghost of Tsushima 

What else should I get? 

Last of us 2

ragnarok

spider man

miles morales

days gone

4 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Played

Last of Us

God Of War 

Ghost of Tsushima 

What else should I get? 

Last of us 2

ragnarok

spider man

miles morales

days gone

All the uncharted games (if new to PlayStation) 

• 3 weeks later...