Playstation 5

opengeo

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm the same, I'll go hard trying to finish a game and then just stop for months at a time. I just finished guardians and then stray. I started a couple others but wasn't feeling it so I stopped. I'm like 10 min into ghost of Tsushima and I can tell already I'm going to like it, so I'm going to take a break before I get to involved so I don't stop mid way through then I won't finish it. 

I played it on easiest difficulty back in Dec 2020 (just relocated to MN, where the entire state was shutdown for COVID -- I'm talking restaurants and bars shutdown except for takeout --  so I lived in a hotel suite for 60 days straight with nothing else to do) and it was a great experience. Very engaging, a pleasant way to pass the time. PS5 was a great console to experience it on and first game where fast travel was desirable because the whole process (loading) was like 1.3 seconds long

4 minutes ago, EaglesFan said:

I wanted to like Avengers so badly after breaking down and buying it.  I even "kinda” did for a little while there, I remember playing with a buddy for a small handful of missions and we had a really good time.  It was so buggy though, and there just seemed to be a lot of repetitive content for the multiplayer aspect.  

Somewhat surprisingly, I actually really enjoyed the campaign - once I could finally play it.  I got a few chapters in and was really starting to enjoy it where I hit a bug that just literally prevented me from progressing any further because I couldn’t perform a specific action needed to advance the story.  Months and months of emails to customer service, and finally one of the several patches they released addressed my specific problem.  Was excited, played more…and then hit yet another progress-preventing bug a mere cutscene and then minute’s worth of gameplay after.  Couldn’t believe it.  Once it was finally "all good” though, I actually did enjoy it.

That sounds like a reasonable strategy.

I feel like this game was a Demon Souls replica. It just starts, in the middle of things, with no backstory, not details, not walkthrough of the controls. And just absurdly difficult and chaotic mission/fight right off the bat. Dying over and over again. I quit after an hour and never returned. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

I managed to get one a couple of weeks ago.

finished stray with the 7 day trial and then extended so i could get god of war completed. Both fantastic games.

Really enjoyed THPS1/2 - felt like i was 18 again playing it for hours on end.

Can't wait for MW2, FIFA 23 and madden 23 

THPS is sooooo hard in the world of analog sticks. The combos are so much easier with the D-pad for precision, but I haven't gamed with the D-pad in like 20 years now making that option too difficult. 

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I played it on easiest difficulty back in Dec 2020 (just relocated to MN, where the entire state was shutdown for COVID -- I'm talking restaurants and bars shutdown except for takeout --  so I lived in a hotel suite for 60 days straight with nothing else to do) and it was a great experience. Very engaging, a pleasant way to pass the time. PS5 was a great console to experience it on and first game where fast travel was desirable because the whole process (loading) was like 1.3 seconds long

I feel like this game was a Demon Souls replica. It just starts, in the middle of things, with no backstory, not details, not walkthrough of the controls. And just absurdly difficult and chaotic mission/fight right off the bat. Dying over and over again. I quit after an hour and never returned. 

I downloaded on the directors cut for free with the new PlayStation plus subscription. Even that little bit I played I knew I was gonna be hooked

16 minutes ago, EaglesFan said:

I wanted to like Avengers so badly after breaking down and buying it.  I even "kinda” did for a little while there, I remember playing with a buddy for a small handful of missions and we had a really good time.  It was so buggy though, and there just seemed to be a lot of repetitive content for the multiplayer aspect.  

Somewhat surprisingly, I actually really enjoyed the campaign - once I could finally play it.  I got a few chapters in and was really starting to enjoy it where I hit a bug that just literally prevented me from progressing any further because I couldn’t perform a specific action needed to advance the story.  Months and months of emails to customer service, and finally one of the several patches they released addressed my specific problem.  Was excited, played more…and then hit yet another progress-preventing bug a mere cutscene and then minute’s worth of gameplay after.  Couldn’t believe it.  Once it was finally "all good” though, I actually did enjoy it.

That sounds like a reasonable strategy.

I thought about downloading avengers since it's free on the new PlayStation plus subscription but I went with Tsushima since I just finished guardians. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

I managed to get one a couple of weeks ago.

finished stray with the 7 day trial and then extended so i could get god of war completed. Both fantastic games.

Really enjoyed THPS1/2 - felt like i was 18 again playing it for hours on end.

Can't wait for MW2, FIFA 23 and madden 23 

I see that Madden supposedly plays better than last year's disaster but, still has a lot of issues. I don't know that I'll ever buy Madden again if they don't stop putting out crap. I'll see how this years goes after it's been out a bit. I miss football games. 

27 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I downloaded on the directors cut for free with the new PlayStation plus subscription. Even that little bit I played I knew I was gonna be hooked

I wanted to play the Wikiki Island expansion or whatever it is with that (i either got free PS5 updagrade or maybe paid like $10-20) but quickly learned that after more than a calendar year I don't remember the controls lmao. But one of these days I will revisit for the Directors Cut -- God of War will be my next revisit before the new title, but I have a bunch of work events this week and next, and then family vacation over labor day (during which Last of Us PS5 drops) so I will play LOU first and sometime between now and Ragnarok I will squeeze in a GOW replay. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2022 at 12:10 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I see that Madden supposedly plays better than last year's disaster but, still has a lot of issues. I don't know that I'll ever buy Madden again if they don't stop putting out crap. I'll see how this years goes after it's been out a bit. I miss football games. 

Any updates? I haven't bought Madden since 19. Amazon has 23 for ps5 for 50 bucks ridge now. Is it worth it?

16 minutes ago, Captain F said:

Any updates? I haven't bought Madden since 19. Amazon has 23 for ps5 for 50 bucks ridge now. Is it worth it?

I did buy it and I am for once really enjoying it. The game play has gotten much better IMO. Like usual there is some things that are annoying like interceptions are overpowered. I was mid way through a season and my defense had 35 interceptions lol. They patched that and it's not as bad now. Playing around with the sliders helps too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What PS5 accessories do you own? What do you recommend? Keep in mind my system is intended for kids who are currently 8 and 6 years old.

I am getting the remote for myself if I am ever using it as a streaming device for TV. And it goes without saying, we will buy a second controller, and a charging station for the controllers.

Im wondering about:

-PS Headset with 3D sound

-PS5 Camera (My 8 year old constantly asks to start a youtube channel. Is twitch a safe platform for him to upload on? Is this useful for anything other than gameplay, for example if he wanted to do pokemon card opening videos). Im not sure if this one is age appropriate.

-Backbone controller.

Other than those accessories, anything else you recommend?

Some questions about those accessories-

Can two headsets be used at once? If my younger son is watching my older son play can they both hear it? Or does only 1 work?

Can 2 backbone controllers be used at once to play different games? Or can only one be used.

Im trying to figure out if its worth buying each of my boys their own, or if they should just share one.

I don’t know how headsets work (meaning can you do 2 at once or not). I own the white PS5 specific one and I think a platinum or some other PlayStation-specific one that was out during the PS4 era. I believe all have been very well reviewed with the console and the white ps5 one should have all the 3D audio stuff. 

I NEVER use them (I maybe logged 10 hours with the platinum ones and I don’t know if I ever even used the PS5 ones). I also have the remote controller for the ps5 which I never use either (my Samsung OneRemote works for stuff) so I sell you any or all of them cheap because at this point I put my odds at every using any of them around 5%. 

I also got the official docking station for the controllers that came out at launch (holds 2). That works perfectly and I would highly recommend. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I don’t know how headsets work (meaning can you do 2 at once or not). I own the white PS5 specific one and I think a platinum or some other PlayStation-specific one that was out during the PS4 era. I believe all have been very well reviewed with the console and the white ps5 one should have all the 3D audio stuff. 

I NEVER use them (I maybe logged 10 hours with the platinum ones and I don’t know if I ever even used the PS5 ones). I also have the remote controller for the ps5 which I never use either (my Samsung OneRemote works for stuff) so I sell you any or all of them cheap because at this point I put my odds at every using any of them around 5%. 

I also got the official docking station for the controllers that came out at launch (holds 2). That works perfectly and I would highly recommend. 

Thanks for the offer. I am going to buy the headset new in box since itll be part of the christmas present.

I dont know how much theyll be used here either. But I think till at least be cool till the novelty wears off. My son has watched gamers on youtube with stuff like that, so Im sure he will think its cool to have his own setup like them.

I may like having them if I dont want to hear their games. On the flipside I want to eventually get an atmos soundbar when this all gets moved in to the basement. That would give the 3D type audio as well. But Im sure there will be times it can blast on the soundbar, and other times when we would prefer it quieter where the headset may come in handy.

Me living solo basically eliminated any chance I used them. But I was in a hotel for a couple months when I moved to MN so I used the PS5 ones a handful of times if I was playing later at night and new I had neighbors (most of my time in the hotel I was basically the only person on my floor or my end of the building) 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if it's been posted yet. The specs for the new VR look nice

Display method

OLED

Panel resolution

2000 x 2040 per eye

Panel refresh rate

90Hz, 120Hz

Lens separation

Adjustable

Field of View

Approx. 110 degrees

Sensors

• Motion sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
  •  
  • Attachment sensor: IR proximity sensor

Cameras

• 4 embedded cameras for headset and controller tracking
  •  
  • IR camera for eye tracking per eye

Feedback

Vibration on headset

Communication with PS5

USB Type-C®

Audio

• Input: Built-in microphone
  •  
  • Output: Stereo headphone jack

Buttons

• Right
    PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button
  •  
  • Left
    PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button

Sensing/Tracking

• Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)
  •  
  • Capacitive sensor: Finger touch detection
  •  
  • IR LED: Position tracking

Feedback 

Trigger effect (on R2/L2 button), haptic feedback (by single actuator per unit)

Port

USB Type-C® 

Communication

Bluetooth® Ver5.1 

Battery

Type: Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-vr2/ps-vr2-tech-specs/

• 1 month later...

I'm such a sucker. Bought a PS5 in April 21. Have put maybe 6 hours on it.  I don't have the time.  Today i go into gamestop to look around and find out they have a used ps5 disc for 449. I couldn't help myself. I had a few gift cards from Xmas.  Ended up paying 150 out of pocket.  Now I can have 2 collect dust

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess everyone who still wanted a PS5 got one for Christmas. There are 2 sitting in Wal Mart here since yesterday. Last week Gamestop had them in stock too. 

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I guess everyone who still wanted a PS5 got one for Christmas. There are 2 sitting in Wal Mart here since yesterday. Last week Gamestop had them in stock too. 

I haven't been in a Walmart in a looong time. Target for lyfe!!! But I have not yet seen a PS5 sitting on a store shelf. I saw someone in the checkout line at Best Buy just after Christmas (or maybe just before?) holding onto one of the Ragnarok bundles... like... they were standing where you would be before obtaining your in-store pick-up. Not where you would already be holding on to it. Made me think some might have been sitting out on  the floor or shelf but I wandered around and didn't see any (around the same timeframe that had $50 sale on controllers and I think I saw a single controller still on the shelf and multiple options/colors were showing as "unavailable" on the app for in-store availability).

Hopefully more people are able to get them without issue now though. 

Sony did make the statement that the PS5 shortage is over and should be able to get one easy now

On 1/9/2023 at 4:16 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Sony did make the statement that the PS5 shortage is over and should be able to get one easy now

I work for a company that builds commercial HVAC equipment. For the better part of the past year our Lead Times have been around 26 weeks. Early-mid December they skyrocketed to 36-38 weeks. All those same product lines in mid-to-upper 30 weeks got updated to 6-8w, 8-10s, and 10-12w respectively across 22 separate production lines. Like how tf did this crap just improve 400% basically overnight. Makes no damn sense. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Have you ever played VR? I'm not sure if I'd like it. Always interested in it but, it's a good chunk a change to get and not like it 

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Have you ever played VR? I'm not sure if I'd like it. Always interested in it but, it's a good chunk a change to get and not like it 

Yes. This one will be an upgrade to the previous one

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That doesn't make a lot of sense to come out with a new updated console only a couple of years after launch. Plus with the scalping and problems with availability the PS5 had just doesn't make sense to do that

15 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Yes. This one will be an upgrade to the previous one

That doesn't make a lot of sense to come out with a new updated console only a couple of years after launch. Plus with the scalping and problems with availability the PS5 had just doesn't make sense to do that

I agree, they literally just announced they have no more supply problems and now they are gonna throw 2 more consoles into the mix? Greedy **** lol. That being said they both look nice. The og is fast enough though I'm not getting one unless mine dies

16 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Sony sent me a link to test the original back in like 2017ish maybe. Got the full kit, which I could return after 14 days or keep and they would charge me for it (I forget if it was MSRP or a discount). I used it once... can't even recall if I used it a second day or not, and shipped it back within my timeframe.

16 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

would be interesting to see when hard data releases 

16 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I feel like I remember getting my PS4 in Nov of 2013 while I was living at my second apartment in Boston. I think I got a pre-order from 2 stores and they might have been doing a midnight release. The PS4 Pro I remember getting near thanksgiving of 2016 shortly after I moved back to Syracuse, around the time Final Fantasy 15 came out. So around a 3yr timeframe to get a boosted console. 

If PS5 gets a Pro within 2.5 (earliest timeline) years of launch, feels pretty comparable to what others have done. I feel like the One S was just shy of 3 years after the One released and the One X was about a year after the S?