Playstation 5

opengeo

18 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

How do you even buy a PS5? I haven't tried super hard, just casually look every now and then and its STILL sold out everywhere like 2 years later. Ridiculous. 

I used Sony's direct queue https://direct.playstation.com/en-us

They actually just had it available but didn't think to post a reminder as I didn't know people on here were still trying to find one. Next time I see it I'll post it here

Scalpers are the reason. Bots will buy up a bunch of consoles and they'll upsell. I don't know if people are still paying a bunch for them but last year there were people making a lot of money from this method. It's also why there's a lot of restrictions (only 1 console per household from sites) and you need to do a lot of captchas 

• Like 1

I got 2 from the sony queue, and I think 3 others from various retailers (oddly, best buy is the only main channel I feel like i have not got a PS5 through and I buy a ton of ish there). I haven't tried in a while, but the Warrio account is good about posting when units go up but those tend to sell out quick. 

5 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

There have been some "invitations" sent out by Amazon and other retailers, where you have to sign up to be able to buy it. Haven't looked into it much but stock has popped up sporadically enough that you can probably snag one in the next couple months if you want to keep an eye out for them. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/amazon-opens-invite-only-ps5-restock-registration-how-to-sign-up

A better option might be to follow Wario64 on twitter though: 

5 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I used Sony's direct queue https://direct.playstation.com/en-us

They actually just had it available but didn't think to post a reminder as I didn't know people on here were still trying to find one. Next time I see it I'll post it here

Scalpers are the reason. Bots will buy up a bunch of consoles and they'll upsell. I don't know if people are still paying a bunch for them but last year there were people making a lot of money from this method. It's also why there's a lot of restrictions (only 1 console per household from sites) and you need to do a lot of captchas 

Thanks. I saw and subscribed to the amazon one yesterday and did the Sony one today. Hopefully one pulls through soon before the holiday season hits again.

24 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Thanks. I saw and subscribed to the amazon one yesterday and did the Sony one today. Hopefully one pulls through soon before the holiday season hits again.

Actually when I looked at it the other day they were sold out but the Horizon bundle was still available. I don't know about now though

Is the PS5 worth the money for someone who hardly plays but enjoys playing? 

10 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Hmmm, I would say yes. Only because the load times are basically non existent. So picking up the controller and just playing a quick game of something becomes more frequent. I don't play much anymore either but, I like that if I just want to play quick I don't have to sit through load screens 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 6:40 PM, 20dawk4life said:

Yes because you can also use it to stream Netflix and such. It's likely faster than your tvs internet. It's definitely faster than the ps4

• Thanks 2

Specialty branding for the homies 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Sony invite to buy a PS5 today in 45 mins, so hopefully landing one today. Had X-Box for the last decade or so, so looking forward to playing some PS exclusives I missed. 

Questions:

1. Probably going to start off with FF7 remake. What other games are worth starting? Semi-gamer, don't play everyday but more like an hour or so here and there if nothing else is going on.

2. Want to get into The Last of Us. Never played any version. Should I get the PS4 remastered edition or just wait 2 months for the PS5 remake to come out?

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I got the Sony invite to buy a PS5 today in 45 mins, so hopefully landing one today. Had X-Box for the last decade or so, so looking forward to playing some PS exclusives I missed. 

Questions:

1. Probably going to start off with FF7 remake. What other games are worth starting? Semi-gamer, don't play everyday but more like an hour or so here and there if nothing else is going on.

2. Want to get into The Last of Us. Never played any version. Should I get the PS4 remastered edition or just wait 2 months for the PS5 remake to come out?

You can get Horizon and play that until God of War Ragnarök and Last of Us come out

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

You can get Horizon and play that until God of War Ragnarök and Last of Us come out

Based on my 2 mins of research and not knowing anything about it, Horizon looked "meh" but I could only buy the bundle so had to get it. Hope it's good. 

19 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Questions:

Last of Us is the best console game ever, so I'd say wait to get the remastered version, and play all the way through that. Then play through the sequel. Absolutely awesome games, there is not much else to say.

For other previous gen exclusives, the most recent God of War was good. I personally really enjoyed Detroit: Become Human, but it's a quantic dream "game" so it's not for everyone. The Uncharted series might not be as visually stunning if you start with the original, but UC4 should still hold up well graphically and is still really fun though you'll likely not understand all the references to prior games. After you've played through the Last of Us games and still have that same itch to scratch, Days Gone was okay I guess. Probably a bit dated now, but if you liked Miles Morales, you can try Infamous: Second Son by the same dev. I've heard good things about Tsushima and Horizon but haven't gotten around to playing either of them yet.

For current gen, if you want a good platformer with good visuals, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is your game. Miles Morales is short but worth it because of how well done it was. If you want something for local or online co-op, Sackboy is an option. If you're into the souls games, people seem to really like Bloodborne.

You can also sign up for a couple months of PS+ and get access to a bunch of previous gen games for free.

• Thanks 1

Just a heads up that today is the last chance to do the 6 month free trial of apple tv+ promo

On 7/20/2022 at 12:19 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

Questions:

I’m going to post a new YouTube clip in the last of us thread, but the new ps5 version comes out 9/2 and you 10000%%% should wait for that. 

as far as games, Horizon is good but it is a looooot of fetch quest and weapon mechanics, so I’d describe it more for hardcore games who want a very in depth story and involved/lengthy gaming experience. 

for more of "straight line” gaming experience that still has tremendous world building and/or story/characters to experience: 

Uncharted 1-4 and the Lost Legacy

god of war

last of us 1 and 2

ghost of Tsushima (tho arguably this can become a fetch quest game)

spider man and miles morales (lesser extent these can become fetch quest but much more mild) 

someone else already mentioned, but infamous second son was a launch or near-launch ps4 game but it was still a phenomenal gameplay and story 

days gone took me about 5 hours to really get into, but I wound up really enjoying it and the fetch quest stuff on that is relatively shippable unless you want to be a completist. 

ff7 remake was very good, tremendous for those who grew up with the original, but it’ll be a solid 40-50 hours to get through, which might make it harder in those 1-2 hour chunks you mentioned. All those other games are segmented into smaller "missions” that make them a little easier to grab and go here and there, with probably god of war being the only one that maybe isn’t broken up into what feels like "missions” in the same way. 

• Like 1

Oh, one other thing. I stopped worrying about "pride” or whatever you want to call it as my free time has gotten smaller. When I played Tsushima and forbidden west (and maybe even days gone a year or so ago), I put every game on the easiest difficulty. I gain nothing from struggling my way through certain sections or battles a dozen different times before finally being successful. I want to play the game, enjoy the story with its exploration and surprises, and I still get to enjoy whatever fight mechanics they have without feeling like I need to be on the level of some speed run streamer. 

13 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Oh, one other thing. I stopped worrying about "pride” or whatever you want to call it as my free time has gotten smaller. When I played Tsushima and forbidden west (and maybe even days gone a year or so ago), I put every game on the easiest difficulty. I gain nothing from struggling my way through certain sections or battles a dozen different times before finally being successful. I want to play the game, enjoy the story with its exploration and surprises, and I still get to enjoy whatever fight mechanics they have without feeling like I need to be on the level of some speed run streamer. 

I find myself starting on normal difficulty, then if I try to beat a boss or something and it takes more then 5 tries I just knock it down to easy. Some of that stuff is unnecessarily difficult imo

15 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I only go for the hardest difficulty when there are trophies that require it. If not then I use normal or just story

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I only go for the hardest difficulty when there are trophies that require it. If not then I use normal or just story

My last few platinums were basically because the games didn’t have a difficulty component otherwise the time commitment required would not have been realistic for me to put into them 

A08FFDD8-49EE-4267-8D8A-73EB5FEB164A.png

5CECB9A8-F347-4CA8-98CA-0E9BB682A729.png

EF8453C3-09F7-48A7-ABEC-AA030089D279.png

On 7/23/2022 at 9:34 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

I use a game genie 

My brother's friend let us borrow one once and it was amazing. I used to think game genie was black magic sorcery. Then when I was old enough to understand computer programming and finally learned about how it really worked, I was even more enthralled with it. Just a truly awesome piece of technology. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

My brother's friend let us borrow one once and it was amazing. I used to think game genie was black magic sorcery. Then when I was old enough to understand computer programming and finally learned about how it really worked, I was even more enthralled with it. Just a truly awesome piece of technology. 

I remember being young and growing up with a friend that had a game genie. It felt so wrong as a kid having all those cheats, it was like we bought something off the black market. 

• Like 1

Got my PS5 today. Tech question: is it THAT noticeable using a HDMI 2.0 cable vs a 2.1 cable? I already have all of my cables hidden in the wall and a big TV mounted. I was hoping to just plug the existing cables in but now think I will have to take off the TV and run new HDMI cables through the wall which will be a pain. 

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Got my PS5 today. Tech question: is it THAT noticeable using a HDMI 2.0 cable vs a 2.1 cable? I already have all of my cables hidden in the wall and a big TV mounted. I was hoping to just plug the existing cables in but now think I will have to take off the TV and run new HDMI cables through the wall which will be a pain. 

I think they doubled the speed with 2.1 so the cable type actually might matter. As for whether you'll notice a difference, that depends on the game and of course if your TV supports variable refresh rates up to 120 Hz. Not sure many games actually support anything beyond 60fps yet, but some might in the future. That being said, if the existing cable you ran was a decent one, it might be able to support the faster speeds already even though it wasn't certified for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

this is a tech question I actually don't know the answer to

8 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I think they doubled the speed with 2.1 so the cable type actually might matter. As for whether you'll notice a difference, that depends on the game and of course if your TV supports variable refresh rates up to 120 Hz. Not sure many games actually support anything beyond 60fps yet, but some might in the future. That being said, if the existing cable you ran was a decent one, it might be able to support the faster speeds already even though it wasn't certified for it.

TV does for sure, all the HDMI ports are 2.1 and up to 120Hz refresh rate. 

The cables are really the only thing I'm missing (besides the small one that comes with the PS5). Guess I have a weekend project.