Peters isn't hte guy I thought he was

Rob331

6 hours ago, eagle45 said:

They aren’t.  

So when circumstances change and a starter gets injured, does a backup refuse to go in the game unless he gets more money?

Backups get paid to be backups. If a guy is paid as a starter and ends up a backup, the team will dump that player and get out that contract. When a backup has to come into a game, filling in for an injured starter, that is an opportunity for that player to earn a pay raise on the next contract. Sometimes, players and teams agree to incentives based on starting games. Some of you are making a way bigger deal out of player/team business negotiations than you should and using that for a reason to criticize a person.

What's funny is that a lot of the contempt for Peters regarding this issue is based on how click-bait titles worded it. The first report:

Nowhere in there does it ever say he refuses to switch positions. The whole time, he was simply negotiating for a restructure based on what the team wanted from him. I really don't get why people try so hard to twist the story to make him look bad. He was one of the top graded LTs in 2019 and the team, because of his age and the cost to retain him for another season at LT decided to give the job to Dillard and part ways with Peters. When Brooks was lost for the season, they inquired about him filling in at RG. The two sides agreed to terms and he began the transition. Then when Dillard was lost, the talk began. Both the Eagles and Peters know how the contract was negotiated and both sides made a change when he was needed at LT. It's not the issue some are making it to be.

Peters' play, however, was nowhere close to his 2019 level and that's the issue. Mailata outperformed him at LT and Herbig outperformed him at RG. Supposedly, he was playing with a toe issue, but the result is all that mattered. He had a bad year in 2020 for us. He rebounded last season and played solid for the Bears. 

If Lane Johnson went down tomorrow, the Eagles pegged Seumalo as the RT replacement for the year, and he refused to do it without a pay bump…then got the bump, played like hot garbage, and almost immediately went to IR…he’d be hated forever.

Jalen Mills was signed to play safety for a year.  He ended up back at cb due to injuries.  What if he refused to do it without a pay raise?  His name would be dirt.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

If Lane Johnson went down tomorrow, the Eagles pegged Seumalo as the RT replacement for the year, and he refused to do it without a pay bump…then got the bump, played like hot garbage, and almost immediately went to IR…he’d be hated forever.

Jalen Mills was signed to play safety for a year.  He ended up back at cb due to injuries.  What if he refused to do it without a pay raise?  His name would be dirt.

Peters never "refused." Show me a quote from him where he stated he refused. The Eagles brought him back in 2020 at a reduced rate because they weren't looking for an OT. Because of the unique circumstance in the original contract negotiation, both sides went to the table again after the terms changed. This really isn't hard to understand. 

9 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Peters never "refused." Show me a quote from him where he stated he refused. The Eagles brought him back in 2020 at a reduced rate because they weren't looking for an OT. Because of the unique circumstance in the original contract negotiation, both sides went to the table again after the terms changed. This really isn't hard to understand. 

https://insidetheiggles.com/2020/08/31/philadelphia-eagles-jason-peters-legacy/amp/

one of many articles about this.  There was the well documented practice where he wouldn’t even move from guard to tackle.

Peters was smart and experienced enough to not fight that battle through direct quotes in the press.  The situation was obvious.  If you believe the version of the story you are pushing, then I’d love to discuss a few potential real estate transactions with you.

5 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

https://insidetheiggles.com/2020/08/31/philadelphia-eagles-jason-peters-legacy/amp/

one of many articles about this.  There was the well documented practice where he wouldn’t even move from guard to tackle.

Peters was smart and experienced enough to not fight that battle through direct quotes in the press.  The situation was obvious.  If you believe the version of the story you are pushing, then I’d love to discuss a few potential real estate transactions with you.

Got it. You don't have a quote. On top of that, Peters did move back and start practicing at LT before the contract was restructured. Here's a quote from Howie:

"I don’t know that I’ve ever met anyone who cares more about the team, bleeds green, cares about protecting players on and off the field, doing whatever it takes. So like this whole conversation about Jason that I guess is out there that like he doesn’t want to do this or he doesn’t want to do that or there’s stubbornness on one side or another; the relationship with us and him has been special.”

7 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Got it. You don't have a quote. On top of that, Peters did move back and start practicing at LT before the contract was restructured. Here's a quote from Howie:

"I don’t know that I’ve ever met anyone who cares more about the team, bleeds green, cares about protecting players on and off the field, doing whatever it takes. So like this whole conversation about Jason that I guess is out there that like he doesn’t want to do this or he doesn’t want to do that or there’s stubbornness on one side or another; the relationship with us and him has been special.”

Again, do you want a bridge in Brooklyn or 1,000,000 acres in Alaska?  I’ve got both of you are interested.

Just now, eagle45 said:

Again, do you want a bridge in Brooklyn or 1,000,000 acres in Alaska?  I’ve got both of you are interested.

I'm sure you believe you do. 

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'm sure you believe you do. 

To summarize, you are choosing to take the word of a gm voted most untrustworthy person/gm/whatever in the nfl in a situation in which he was trying to put out a controversy over that of innumerable reports from journalists….and choosing to believe that the best cap manager in the nfl just so happened to float several million $$$ to a player under brand new contract when he changed positions out of the kindness of his heart.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

To summarize, you are choosing to take the word of a gm voted most untrustworthy person/gm/whatever in the nfl in a situation in which he was trying to put out a controversy over that of innumerable reports from journalists.  

And you gobbled up the click-bait. What does that make you?

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

And you gobbled up the click-bait. What does that make you?

So you’re version of the story is….Peters was asked to play LT.  He did so willingly.  Then Howie/Lurie approached him and said "Jason, thank you so much for everything you have done for the franchise.  Here’s $8m out of the kindness of our hearts.”  

Nah, I’ve got a few bridges for you.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

So you’re version of the story is….Peters was asked to play LT.  He did so willingly.  Then Howie/Lurie approached him and said "Jason, thank you so much for everything you have done for the franchise.  Here’s $8m out of the kindness of our hearts.”  

Nah, I’ve got a few bridges for you.

Neat strawman.

My version of the story is: (in the order things actually happened)

In 2019 Eagles re-signed Peters for one year.

In 2020, the Eagles decided not to bring Peters back and to begin the LT transition with Dillard. 

-- After losing Brooks for the season prior to the season, the Eagles reached out to the currently team-less Peters and offered him a starting job at RG. Within the negotiations, the Eagles offered him and he agreed to take much less money to fill that position. 

-- Dillard is lost for the season and speculation begins about moving Peters back to OT

-- Peters makes it known that he agreed to the current contract based on the lower positional value of OG and that he should make more if they need him at LT

-- Click-bait articles accuse Peters of refusing to change positions. 

-- Peters does indeed change positions

-- The Eagles reworked Lane's contract so they could rework Peters' contract to reflect the new parameters. (this happened after he already moved to LT)

-- eagle45 decides his gullibility to the click-bait is justified and decides that Peters is the most selfish player ever. 

So he's on their practice squad? Unless he feels pretty sure of getting to the 53, is it worth going to a practice squad? 

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Neat strawman.

My version of the story is: (in the order things actually happened)

In 2019 Eagles re-signed Peters for one year.

In 2020, the Eagles decided not to bring Peters back and to begin the LT transition with Dillard. 

-- After losing Brooks for the season prior to the season, the Eagles reached out to the currently team-less Peters and offered him a starting job at RG. Within the negotiations, the Eagles offered him and he agreed to take much less money to fill that position. 

-- Dillard is lost for the season and speculation begins about moving Peters back to OT

-- Peters makes it known that he agreed to the current contract based on the lower positional value of OG and that he should make more if they need him at LT

-- Click-bait articles accuse Peters of refusing to change positions. 

-- Peters does indeed change positions

-- The Eagles reworked Lane's contract so they could rework Peters' contract to reflect the new parameters. (this happened after he already moved to LT)

-- eagle45 decides his gullibility to the click-bait is justified and decides that Peters is the most selfish player ever. 

Ok so exactly what I said.  That’s called a recap, not a straw man.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Ok so exactly what I said.  That’s called a recap, not a straw man.

No, your strawman was quite different than what I said. Peters did willingly move to LT, but he had made it known he signed for OG money. You may have recounted the order of events in the strawman, but the depiction is fiction. 

When Peters initially re-signed with us in 2020, what terms did he discuss with Howie when both sides agreed on a contract?

Just now, brkmsn said:

No, your strawman was quite different than what I said. Peters did willingly move to LT, but he had made it known he signed for OG money. You may have recounted the order of events in the strawman, but the depiction is fiction. 

When Peters initially re-signed with us in 2020, what terms did he discuss with Howie when both sides agreed on a contract?

Here's the long and the short of it.   

Mistake #1 was bringing Peters back in 2020.   
Mistake #2 was restructuring Lane's contract to free up money in the moment by pushing more to the future. 
Mistake #3 was throwing good money after bad to Peters in 2020.

This was just one of many times that Howie held on to vets for too long after their effectiveness was far below their contract status after the SB run.  

So Peters changed positions willingly and the Eagles gave him $8m because they wanted to.  Recap.  Not strawman.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Here's the long and the short of it.   

Mistake #1 was bringing Peters back in 2020.   
Mistake #2 was restructuring Lane's contract to free up money in the moment by pushing more to the future. 
Mistake #3 was throwing good money after bad to Peters in 2020.

This was just one of many times that Howie held on to vets for too long after their effectiveness was far below their contract status after the SB run.  

In 2020, it seemed like the right move to me. In hindsight, it didn't work out and 2020 was a disaster. 

Just now, eagle45 said:

So Peters changed positions willingly and the Eagles gave him $8m because they wanted to.  Recap.  Not strawman.

First of all, they gave him nowhere close to $8M. Second, the positional switch played a part in the numbers they did give him.

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

In 2020, it seemed like the right move to me. In hindsight, it didn't work out and 2020 was a disaster. 

In foresight, it seemed like a terrible idea to me.  In hindsight, it proved to be worse than I thought it would be.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Why didn’t Jalen Mills get paid extra money to play cb in 2020?

Why did they deduct $3.2M from Peters' contract in 2012?

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

In foresight, it seemed like a terrible idea to me.  In hindsight, it proved to be worse than I thought it would be.

Obviously, some people predicted more correctly than others, but the whole season was a disaster, so the Peters decision didn't really change the outcome. 

First of all, they gave him nowhere close to $8M. Second, the positional switch played a part in the numbers they did give him.

I think he ended up making about $4M.

But, he could have earned up to $8M.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jason-peters-reworks-contract-with-eagles-after-agreeing-to-return-to-left-tackle-position-for-2020/

Peters' initial deal was a max value of $3.13 million and included a $1.16 million signing bonus with $2.96 million in guarantees, but will now pay him up to $8 million, per his agent. He will also get a signing bonus bump to $2 million and a $4 million sum in guaranteed money -- per Mike Garofolo of NFL Network. It was initially rumored Peters would not move back to left tackle without due compensation, considering what's expected at the position versus playing on the interior of an offensive line, but he made the decision less than a week ahead of the team's Week 1 clash with the Washington Football Team, and head coach Doug Pederson could not be more ecstatic. 

And I'll throw this out there... this is the quote from Doug:

"Jason Peters came into my office this morning and he has decided to slide over to left tackle," Pederson told media via conference call this week. "This is the unselfishness. This is who he is. When we talk specifically about Jason Peters, this is who he is. He sacrifices his body for the football team. 

The bolded is the issue.  It is not up to the player where he plays, truly unselfish players tell the coach to put them wherever they feel they will do the team the most benefit.  Nice of Doug to couch it as an unselfish act, but the fact that the ultimate decision of where he'd play was left to Peters and not the coaches, specifically the best OL coach in the NFL... that speaks volumes, doesn't it?

4 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Obviously, some people predicted more correctly than others, but the whole season was a disaster, so the Peters decision didn't really change the outcome. 

It certainly didn't help, but highlighted so much more of what was wrong that year.  Seems the inmates were running the asylum.