Miles Sanders contract year

MidMoFo

I think if Sanders can stay healthy and with our offensive line, he is set up for a career year. Reports from early in camp were that he looked explosive and strong.

The last couple of weeks he’s been resting a hamstring. Is he REALLY nursing a hamstring or is holding out for a contract extension?

7 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

Is he REALLY nursing a hamstring or is holding out for a contract extension?

I think the Eagles are just being over-cautious. Shutting him down for the remainder of TC allowed them to keep him fresh and get Scott and Gainwell more work. Once the games start, nobody will care about "soreness."

• Like 2

The starters don’t do anything in camp anyway, so it’s not like holding out minimizes his injury risk in a contract year.  He’s not sufficiently proven to hold out regular season games in a contract year; that would cost him big money.

If he’s holding out of camp only just to prove a point, that’s fine…mildly irritating,  but it makes no difference.  And if he’s truly injured in Siri’s spa camp, then that’s another reason why he won’t be back next year.

• Like 1

I wouldn't resign Sanders unless it's a really team friendly deal.  Too many injuries, not dependable.....

You don't need a lead RB to win in the NFL......you need 3-4 effective, versatile RBs for a RB by committee.  Look at all the super bowl winners over the last 20 years, RBs by committee.  

• Like 4

I don't think they are going to resign him. At this point I think they know what he is. He's a talented RB capable of breaking off big plays but ultimately he's not reliable when it comes to availability. It's a shame as he has a lot of talent.

• Like 3

I doubt we resign either and 99% sure Howie isn’t going to give him a new deal in the next week…

What if he finally delivers this season? What if he hits 1200-1400 total scrimmage yards with 10-12 TD’s?

Would one year inflate his value over what the Eagles would be willing to pay? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

I think if Sanders can stay healthy and with our offensive line, he is set up for a career year. Reports from early in camp were that he looked explosive and strong.

The last couple of weeks he’s been resting a hamstring. Is he REALLY nursing a hamstring or is holding out for a contract extension?

There is your first problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MidMoFo said:

I doubt we resign either and 99% sure Howie isn’t going to give him a new deal in the next week…

What if he finally delivers this season? What if he hits 1200-1400 total scrimmage yards with 10-12 TD’s?

Other NFL teams value the RB position more than the Eagles do.  If Sanders puts up big numbers he will want more than the Eagles will pay; if it’s another year of flashes but inability to stay healthy and available it will be time to move on.

Hard to imagine a scenario where Sanders returns next season unless it’s for dirt cheap 

Dude is going to be clutching his hamstring by halftime of week 2. Let some other team overpay for him in the offseason and we can possibly get a comp pick.

Only way I would bring this dude back as a GM would be on a deal no more than like 2.5mil a year with a possible escalator to 3mil if he played like 80% of snaps or whatever a reasonable number would be for a RB in this offense.

• Like 3

Best case scenario: Sanders miraculously stays healthy having a career year leading us to a Super Bowl victory while becoming too expensive for us to keep and we part ways :)

• Like 2

I definitely want him to stay healthy and have a career year while leading us to a SB win. But not holding my breath on him staying healthy. IMO he should have been traded 2 seasons ago and I thought he would have been traded last year for sure, but he was on ir and that ruined it. He will not get top money, at least not from us, Howie has proven that about our RBs. 

This is likely his last rodeo here. Too bad, he looked so promising as a rookie and has shown flashes, but he's injury prone and just can't seem to fully put it together.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, MidMoFo said:

Then that increases the chances he gets a better paycheck from another team and the likelihood of a better comp pick for us.  

I'd rather have the comp pick and use it to add another RB playing on a cheap rookie contract than have Sanders on a 2nd contract.

• Like 1

I like Miles, but I have no desire to see any RB get the "second contract”. Obviously I’m talking about the big second contract. If a RB tests free agency, has no market and comes back on a team friendly one year deal, fine, but if Miles wants the big pay day, good luck elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I’d rather take that RB from Texas in the first round over extending Sanders, and I don’t like taking RB in 1st round. 

1 minute ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I’d rather take that RB from Texas in the first round over extending Sanders, and I don’t like taking RB in 1st round. 

Take RB EJ Smith IV out of Stanford instead.

3 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Take RB EJ Smith IV out of Stanford instead.

Not familiar with him, I’ll have to look into him

DeErnest Johnson , James Robinson would really be good fits. I’d like to see us make one final trade come the deadline. We need a more reliable stable of backs

It really is crazy how quickly RBs became the least important role in the NFL..i dont even remember the name of the Rams RB and they just won the SB.

On 9/5/2022 at 12:13 PM, MidMoFo said:

That's where it ends. He cannot stay healthy. He can't take the NFL pounding. Never could. The Eagles got rid of the people I was dying to see leave....except this one. I can't wait until they show him the door. Give me a bruising RB who can take the pounding, and dish it out, too. Give me a Blount. 

download-1.jpg

• Like 1

With the way this offense is built for the foreseeable future there is no need to invest big money in a running back. Take a back in the 2nd-4th in the 2023 draft and let them play out there rookie contract.