Miles Sanders contract year

MidMoFo

8 hours ago, Talonblood said:

That's where it ends. He cannot stay healthy. He can't take the NFL pounding. Never could. The Eagles got rid of the people I was dying to see leave....except this one. I can't wait until they show him the door. Give me a bruising RB who can take the pounding, and dish it out, too. Give me a Blount. 

Since Sanders has been in the NFL, only 11 RBs have played more games in that span. Injuries come with the territory. Even big, bruisers get hurt (see Barkley, Henry,  and now Najee Harris is dealing with a Lisfranc sprain).

I don't understand the hate. Neither Westbrook, nor McCoy was a bruiser and defenses still had to account for them. Sanders needs to regain his effectiveness as a receiver and he'd be the same concern for opposing defenses. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Since Sanders has been in the NFL, only 11 RBs have played more games in that span. Injuries come with the territory. Even big, bruisers get hurt (see Barkley, Henry,  and now Najee Harris is dealing with a Lisfranc sprain).

I don't understand the hate. Neither Westbrook, nor McCoy was a bruiser and defenses still had to account for them. Sanders needs to regain his effectiveness as a receiver and he'd be the same concern for opposing defenses. 

Hasn't received for more than 200 yards since his rookie year and zero receiving touchdowns. I wouldn't count on that miraculously changing this year

2 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Hasn't received for more than 200 yards since his rookie year and zero receiving touchdowns. I wouldn't count on that miraculously changing this year

He caught 2 passes (on 2 targets) "in one series vs the jets in preseason." A lot of people (me included) expect the Eagles to attempt significantly more passes than last season. Sanders caught 50 passes (63 targets) as a rookie and then led all NFL RBs in drops the following season. So we've seen the good from him and the bad. This is a contract year for him. The safe money is on him at least matching his rookie production. 

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

He caught 2 passes (on 2 targets) "in one series vs the jets in preseason." A lot of people (me included) expect the Eagles to attempt significantly more passes than last season. Sanders caught 50 passes (63 targets) as a rookie and then led all NFL RBs in drops the following season. So we've seen the good from him and the bad. This is a contract year for him. The safe money is on him at least matching his rookie production. 

As he already had a injury during the preseason....safer bet right now is he won't get enough games or touches to get those numbers 

Just now, Shalodeep said:

As he already had a injury during the preseason....safer bet right now is he won't get enough games or touches to get those numbers 

Soreness isn't much of an injury, but believe what you want. Funny how he's miraculously a FP at practice and set to start. 

Some people seem to think Sanders is more than he is, while others seem to hate him because he isn't Westbrook/Mccoy.  

Sanders isn't special.  He's unreliable with injuries and he sucks catching passes.  But he's elusive, has a knack for big plays, and is a good overall runner.  

In short, he's fine. He's not worth extending.  But he's fine as the starter.  I would neither rush him out the door nor do anything to try to keep him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Disclaimer, in no way is this meant to demean Hurts.

I heard it somewhere, maybe Mosher and Caplan podcast that Sanders struggled with Hurts throwing him the ball because he couldn’t always see him, or where the ball is coming from. With Wentz being a lot taller that wasn’t an issue.
 An example would be Keyshawn Johnson last season being asked who he’d rather catch passes from, Allen or Murray. This was when Murray was playing really well and KJ said Allen because he could always find his big ass in a crowd, and knew where the ball was coming from. 
 It still could be just an excuse on Sanders part, remember when Chase was dropping passes last preseason?   His excuse was the college ball with the white stripes was much easier to pick up in the air, and he’s right, obviously, but then again he sat out a year, by then he should of been used to the NFL ball. 

15 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Disclaimer, in no way is this meant to demean Hurts.

I heard it somewhere, maybe Mosher and Caplan podcast that Sanders struggled with Hurts throwing him the ball because he couldn’t always see him, or where the ball is coming from. With Wentz being a lot taller that wasn’t an issue.
 An example would be Keyshawn Johnson last season being asked who he’d rather catch passes from, Allen or Murray. This was when Murray was playing really well and KJ said Allen because he could always find his big ass in a crowd, and knew where the ball was coming from. 
 It still could be just an excuse on Sanders part, remember when Chase was dropping passes last preseason?   His excuse was the college ball with the white stripes was much easier to pick up in the air, and he’s right, obviously, but then again he sat out a year, by then he should of been used to the NFL ball. 

I'm not sure there's much truth to that considering Sanders struggled most in 2020 when he led all RBs with drops. He had Wentz and it didn't help. Last season our offense was a work in progress. No doubt the shift in philosophy after the first few weeks and just the overall lack of familiarity likely contributed to Sanders' receiving production last season. I see 2022 as the perfect time for him to put his best foot forward. A change in QB can always affect a player's opportunities as a receiver. Some WRs have had documented difficulties adjusting from a right handed QB to a lefty or vice versa. So you can't completely discount how the ball arrives and it's effect on a pass catcher. But as I said, Sanders had his best and worst moments as a receiver with Wentz, so I don't think that's the issue. Usually when a player is dropping an unusual amount of easy passes, it's a mental issue with that player that needs to be overcome. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Don't even mention Sanders in the same breathe as Westy or McCoy. Sanders is ALWAYS hurt- not just here and there. He is a china doll. Yes, the hate is there because he is wasting the Eagles time. Westy played. McCoy played. Sanders gets hurt if the wind blows on him. And the other guys who get hurt? Yeah, but not every other freeking week. THAT is what I'm talking about. As soon as Sanders returns from an injury, within 2 weeks he is hurt again. I'm done with him. All hype china doll? No thanks. Give that man a wheel chair and move on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Soreness isn't much of an injury, but believe what you want. Funny how he's miraculously a FP at practice and set to start. 

So he was just sore and missed that much time? Then he is soft af. Not a good defense

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Yeah other backs miss time, but they still put up the yards, Nick Chubb has missed 7 games over the last 2 seasons, but he still averaged over 1100 yards at 5+ yards a carry with 10 TD's per season, Derrick Henry missed 9 games last year but still put up more carries and yards than Sanders and whats more he scored more TD's in 8 games than Sanders has for his entire career,  hell if Sanders was producing anywhere close to either of those two I'd give him another contract Tomorrow.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Don't even mention Sanders in the same breathe as Westy or McCoy. Sanders is ALWAYS hurt- not just here and there. He is a china doll. Yes, the hate is there because he is wasting the Eagles time. Westy played. McCoy played. Sanders gets hurt if the wind blows on him. And the other guys who get hurt? Yeah, but not every other freeking week. THAT is what I'm talking about. As soon as Sanders returns from an injury, within 2 weeks he is hurt again. I'm done with him. All hype china doll? No thanks. Give that man a wheel chair and move on.

How many full seasons has Westbrook had in his career? 

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

So he was just sore and missed that much time?

Is this your first season as an Eagles fan? Since 2018 this team has been under the impression that training camp and preseason are enemies of the player and have done everything in their power to keep key veteran players fresh for the regular season. 

58 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Zero

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Is this your first season as an Eagles fan? Since 2018 this team has been under the impression that training camp and preseason are enemies of the player and have done everything in their power to keep key veteran players fresh for the regular season. 

Sanders is an injury prone, unavailable player. Your milage may vary.

On 9/5/2022 at 12:13 PM, MidMoFo said:

I think if Sanders can stay healthy and with our offensive line, he is set up for a career year. Reports from early in camp were that he looked explosive and strong.

The last couple of weeks he’s been resting a hamstring. Is he REALLY nursing a hamstring or is holding out for a contract extension?

The Eagles Offensive Line is fantastic this year with good depth! The Eagles have a good receiving core so teams won't expect every snap to be a run. Miles wants to get paid, so he should have the best season of his career (as long as he can remain healthy). If he doesn't he'll probably not be an Eagle next season.

That being said Miles Sanders injury, and the fact that the Lions Defensive Line & LB core isn't complete garbage I don't know if he'll get a 100 yards this game especially if reps are shared with Kenneth and/or Boston.

Very good game by Sanders today. Showed how much a weapon he is and ran with purpose and awareness.

• Like 3

Miles is off to a fast start. He ran hard week one and broke some tackles too. If he plays like this all year and can stay healthy he should be resigned. Again when it comes to Mikes the talent has always been there. It’s just been bits of the other stuff that have been the issue. 

• 3 weeks later...

IF HE DOESN'T GET HURT, he's going to want a big contract in a year where Howie has a ton of personnel and salary cap issues.  If Sermon shows anything and they acquire more draft picks, I can't see the eagles signing him long term. 

2 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

IF HE DOESN'T GET HURT, he's going to want a big contract in a year where Howie has a ton of personnel and salary cap issues.  If Sermon shows anything and they acquire more draft picks, I can't see the eagles signing him long term. 

That's why we drafted Gainwell last year. 

Love Sanders when healthy... but need to bottle some of that up for the end of year when we'll really need to rely on the run game when the weather turns. I need to see more Sermon to see what we have. I was pleasantly surprised with how explosive he looked on his few carries. Wouldn't mind seeing him eat into some of Gainwell's touches.

7 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Backs don't cost much these days. If he's worth keeping he won't break the bank.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:06 PM, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Hell end up with 1k, get a big contract from the Eagles, then go back to being hurt half the season.

Basically. I dont think theyll pay big $ but itll be a fair offer. They got others to consider paying as well, such as Bradberry and Chauncey 

17 minutes ago, judunno said:

Love Sanders when healthy... but need to bottle some of that up for the end of year when we'll really need to rely on the run game when the weather turns. I need to see more Sermon to see what we have. I was pleasantly surprised with how explosive he looked on his few carries. Wouldn't mind seeing him eat into some of Gainwell's touches.

Did you see his dreads? Theyre like Ajayis. Set him free!