Miles Sanders contract year

MidMoFo

The market will dictate what Sanders gets and where he ends up.

That said, it’s a bad market for RB’s to begin with and his Super Bowl performance didn’t help his case. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Damanick10 said:

He was a disaster in the SB, see ya later kid. I know pick 10 is ridiculously high for a RB but if we get Bijan with it I wouldn't be too upset, maybe trade back a few picks.

I think we’re going to trade back a few picks at see if Gonzalez falls to us, but if he doesn’t and we get an extra 2nd so we can fill our other needs like CB  and DL in the first two rounds and take Bijan in the mid 1st round, then I’m ok with it. 

On 2/13/2023 at 9:59 PM, brkmsn said:

You can say the same thing about Emmitt Smith's numbers. 

As for Sanders, he has been pretty consistent in averages each season (including the 2020 season where we had 16 different O-line combinations).

He's a good RB. The question is, what is a good RB worth and is it easy to find other good RBs that are cheaper. 

Absolutely go cheaper at RB. CJGJ and Seumalo are priority signings.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2023 at 8:43 PM, Portyansky said:

With two 1st round picks I think we draft his replacement. Sanders will be too expensive and isn't so durable. And we rarely pay RBs, in fact we don't even draft them in the 1st, but I wouldn't mind Bijan Robinson 

Both our 1st def needs to be on D. Be it CB or Dline. Replace Bradberry (assuming CJ is retained) and a fresh DE/DT. 

• Like 1

Just can't see them giving CJ the big contract  he will expect....I suspect he will be lost in FA...wonder if Cox comes back on a 1yr deal...

as far as RB, they clearly like Gainwell a lot more....but a big back ala LeGarrett Blount would always be a welcome addition...I often wonder how Blunt would have done behind our elite OL which was even better than the 2017 team

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:05 PM, flyerdog said:

Just can't see them giving CJ the big contract  he will expect....I suspect he will be lost in FA...wonder if Cox comes back on a 1yr deal...

as far as RB, they clearly like Gainwell a lot more....but a big back ala LeGarrett Blount would always be a welcome addition...I often wonder how Blunt would have done behind our elite OL which was even better than the 2017 team

Contracts can be manipulated in a way that it might seem massive, but ultimately it’s not actually that bad. I feel like the Eagles want CJGJ back. They can’t let everyone walk out the door. I wouldn’t mind a bigger back, because that kind of style helped them win the Bowl and Sanders just flopped in his biggest moment. Gainwell has been solid in the playoffs and was okay in the Bowl, but I doubt he’s ready to be the guy. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like Howie likes to draft bigger backs, but a N/S runner who can get 2-3 yards just falling forward would help this offense more than these shifty guys who are always looking to bounce it outside. 

17 hours ago, NOTW said:

FB_IMG_1677118951365.jpg

Emotional blackmail. We shouldn’t be overpaying for a career year. Would like to have him back but only at a reasonable cap number.

4 years 28 million with 15 million guaranteed? Signing bonus of 10 million and in effect a 2 year deal?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Emotional blackmail. We shouldn’t be overpaying for a career year. Would like to have him back but only at a reasonable cap number.

4 years 28 million with 15 million guaranteed? Signing bonus of 10 million and in effect a 2 year deal?

I've been closely watching the Saquon Barkley negotiations. He kinda is setting the bar on guaranteed FA RB money. Giants aren't even close to paying him what he wants nor do i think someone else is going to meet his number either. Running back salaries aren't what they used to be and i think once Saquons contract is set it will be less than expected and will turn down a domino effect on whose left.

Kinda feel bad for the guy, but he put himself in this position a bit because he hasn't had improvement in key aspects of his game. His vision in particular is extremely problematic. I'd be willing to take him back if i could rely on him to consistently hit the hole, but he likes bouncing things outside way too often. Nice guy from what I can tell, but...yeah. I just don't see it right now.

16 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

I've been closely watching the Saquon Barkley negotiations. He kinda is setting the bar on guaranteed FA RB money. Giants aren't even close to paying him what he wants nor do i think someone else is going to meet his number either. Running back salaries aren't what they used to be and i think once Saquons contract is set it will be less than expected and will turn down a domino effect on whose left.

Barkley is an interesting case. He's the kind of player you love to have on your team because of how hard he works. You want guys like that and hope other players emulate that. However, he's part of the previous GM's building blocks and he has struggled with injuries so far. Most teams have seen what happened with other big name, big dollar, RBs the last decade or so. DeMarco Murray, Le'Veon Bell, Ezekiel Elliot all make teams hesitate to spend big at this position. I feel bad for RBs these days. The rookie pay scale effects that position more than any other. On top of that, there is no shortage of talented runners entering the NFL each year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Barkley is an interesting case. He's the kind of player you love to have on your team because of how hard he works. You want guys like that and hope other players emulate that. However, he's part of the previous GM's building blocks and he has struggled with injuries so far. Most teams have seen what happened with other big name, big dollar, RBs the last decade or so. DeMarco Murray, Le'Veon Bell, Ezekiel Elliot all make teams hesitate to spend big at this position. I feel bad for RBs these days. The rookie pay scale effects that position more than any other. On top of that, there is no shortage of talented runners entering the NFL each year. 

I mean it really is one of the positions that require the least amount of skill to be productive. That’s why there are so many capable backs, the running game is dictated way more by the offensive line then the back himself.

As long as your offensive line is good, you really just need a back who knows where the hole is supposed to be and doesn’t fumble the ball. That’s not to say there aren’t a handful of "special” running backs, but the production you can get out of a mediocre RB makes it crazy to pay top dollar for one. 

21 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The guy I feel really bad for is Ajayi. A couple of really good seasons. Key part of our Super Bowl win. But fifth round pick with chronic knee issues. Never got paid. Although I think he got an insurance settlement recently.