Miles Sanders contract year

MidMoFo

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Jesus Christ the biggest argument against giving a tailback huge money is in our own division, Zeke v Pollard.

I think you could put a lot of guys behind our line, with the rest of this offense and they'd put up 1000 yards, if Sanders wants to come back on a reasonable deal then I don't have a huge issue, but if he want's to get paid Elliott / McCaffrey / Chubb level then the team should walk away.

And Pollard is about to get paid. 

Sanders having a career year in his contract year tells me Howie isn’t going to try hard to re-sign him. If Howie wanted him back he would have locked him up already. 

People scared of a Blount, Smallwood, Clement, Ajayi, Barney, Sproles style backfield forgetting we were a top running team and won the Super Bowl with that. 

13 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Some of you seem to have a pretty poor memory.  I’d hate to break it to you but RB’s like Miles Sanders don’t grow on trees.  He’s likely a top 5 RB in the NFL and the last time any Eagles RB accomplished what he’s accomplished this year was 2014 LeSean McCoy.  8. years ago. 

If you’re not ready to resign him, prepare to go another 8 years before getting another RB of his caliber (law of averages).

And get ready for a few years of RB’s like Wendell Smallwood and Josh Adams.  (Remember those guys?)  Hence the reason we drafted Sanders.

And no, you’re not replacing Miles Sanders with a   "Late round draft pick”.  You’d probably have better odds playing the lottery. 

The entire "not wanting to give RB’s a 2nd contract theory” shouldn’t really apply to Sanders because he was drafted relatively young and is still only 25 yearsold and hasn’t had a "ton” of carries so far in his career.  (Low mileage RB by NFL standards) He could easily perform at a high level for 4-5 more years (if not more).

A special part of watching Sanders this season is seeing him "reinvent” himself as a top NFL RB.  He’s always had vision, explosiveness and play making ability  but this year he’s combined that with great ball protection and phenomenal North - South running.  That has led him into the end zone on consistent basis and yes, has elevated his game to be among the best RB’s in the NFL, imo. 

I’m a big fan of Sanders, but there is only so much money to go around. For me it isn’t a knock on Sanders or a belief that they can just replace him with a "late round pick”, it’s purely a belief that they can’t afford to sign him without giving up some other key free agents. 

Again, it isn’t about Sanders being "easy” to replace, it’s about it being easier to replace him than it is Bradberry, CJGJ, Edwards, etc. 

• Like 1

It might actually be worth tagging him 1 time since RBs have one of the lowest tag values. That way, we can get another year out of young, explosive RB that knows this offense and aren't committed after that. 

However, using the tag isn't exactly Howie style. He typically likes to spread that money out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

It might actually be worth tagging him 1 time since RBs have one of the lowest tag values. That way, we can get another year out of young, explosive RB that knows this offense and aren't committed after that. 

However, using the tag isn't exactly Howie style. He typically likes to spread that money out.

CJGJ, Bradberry, Hargrave, Edwards. Who are you willing to lose in order to keep Sanders for one year on the tag? Because there is approximately a zero percent change that Hurts doesn’t get a mega deal on the offseason. They simply can’t afford to keep everyone. 

14 minutes ago, nipples said:

CJGJ, Bradberry, Hargrave, Edwards. Who are you willing to lose in order to keep Sanders for one year on the tag? Because there is approximately a zero percent change that Hurts doesn’t get a mega deal on the offseason. They simply can’t afford to keep everyone. 

Exactly.  Bradberry and Edwards are the priorities here.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:48 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Jesus Christ the biggest argument against giving a tailback huge money is in our own division, Zeke v Pollard.

I think you could put a lot of guys behind our line, with the rest of this offense and they'd put up 1000 yards, if Sanders wants to come back on a reasonable deal then I don't have a huge issue, but if he want's to get paid Elliott / McCaffrey / Chubb level then the team should walk away.

The last time we had a 1,000 yard rusher was 8- YEARS-AGO.  And people back then were saying the same thing when we traded McCoy.  Guess what?  It took 8 years to get another 1000+ yard rusher. 

And Sanders isn’t done yet.  Good chance he ends up with 1200-1300+ yards.  Then what?  You really think "a lot of guys can rush for 1300 yards behind this line?”

History says your theory is wrong.   (And so does the law of averages). 

6 hours ago, nipples said:

6 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Exactly.  Bradberry and Edwards are the priorities here.

Yeah I hate to lose Sanders and he is probably a top 5 RB and won’t be easy to replace. But:

1) He will want to and get paid on this season rather than his previous 3 inconsistent/injury hit seasons. Recency bias is rarely good value. 

2) The D has to be the priority. So many gaps there due to impending free agents. Most of the dominant O is locked up 

3) Free agent RBs would probably take a prove it deal here to run behind this O-Line.

4) RB rookies can often contribute straight away. Need to have a D focused draft, but no reason we can’t draft one with our second or third. 

On 12/10/2022 at 11:37 PM, NOTW said:

This.

That, is totally F'd up.

Rookies don't get large contracts anymore, so if you don't give them  large 2nd contracts, RBs have had their money taken away and given to others.

Those guys take too much punishment to be treated like step children.  

Just now, Peacekeeper said:

Keep sanders and this offense together. 

sign who we can on D and draft replacements 

This. 

8 hours ago, nipples said:

Listen ... I totally understand what you are saying, but every one of those players you listed will all be looking to break the bank on their next contracts. All of them play positions that will cost a lot more than a premium RB. Also, just because we the fans want them to stay, does not mean that they want to stay --- especially if another team is more than willing to overpay for their services. 

I like CJGJ and I had been hoping we were getting a deal done with him, but I'm not all that concerned about replacing him with Blankenship (another young player that is really taking advantage of his opportunity). I'm more concerned about who will be our CB2 next year. I just don't expect us to pay Bradberry what we are paying Slay --- It's likely another team will and I expect him to leave in free agency. I think the Eagles will lock up Edwards since he won't command as much money as Hargrave or Bradberry. If we do lose Edwards, I have faith Dean can handle the job. Those are the players you asked me about and there's a long list of other important contributors that we also need to consider. It's not going to be an easy job. If the Eagles end the year with rings, perhaps a few players may want to keep it going and things get worked out.

Heck, the Eagles could wait another year to pay Hurts if they absolutely had to. It wouldn't really be a classy move on their part, but he is under contract and they could still keep him the following year with the tag. If Hurts was on board with helping "keep the team together" then it wouldn't be so bad. 

It looks to me, though, that this team will have a lot of comp picks in 2024. As for Sanders, I'd love to keep him here, but we did draft Gainwell to possibly be the guy if/when Sanders leaves and I think Gainwell is capable. So I'm not sweating it. I'm just not opposed to giving Sanders a 2nd contract or using the tag on him one time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

That, is totally F'd up.

Rookies don't get large contracts anymore, so if you don't give them  large 2nd contracts, RBs have had their money taken away and given to others.

Those guys take too much punishment to be treated like step children.  

He'll get paid. If the Eagles don't re-sign him, someone will pay.

They might prioritize him given the year he's having. But they have a lot of pending free agents. 

38 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'm just not opposed to giving Sanders a 2nd contract or using the tag on him one time. 

Who says Sanders will sign the tag? He's a running back he is going to want stability in his first big contract with years. I don't see the eagles tying up 10-12 million for one year on a running back 

For his family's sake, he'd be wiser to accept the biggest money he's offered, and the Eagles probably can't match that. Too many guys to sign. If he wants to be an Eagle, he'll have to take a very team-friendly deal.

The only way I see them giving Sanders the deal he will be worth is if Jalen takes an extremely team friendly deal. Which is extremely unlikely. He is going to want market value, and he absolutely should try to get all that he can. 

On 12/12/2022 at 5:41 AM, bobokd1 said:

This NFL draft is deep in RBs, We can trade our 2nd 1st rd pick and move back into 2nd rd and get a back.

It it's high enough, I'm thinking use the the 1st 1st round to trade back in the 1st for a boat load of additional picks, like an additional 2nd and 3rd or 4th.

unfortunately I think he will want to cash in. I’d be down for 3 years and solid average. I’d be ok with a Conner Ekelor type deal $6-8 per for 3 years. If we do not resign, I think we will see a significant drop versus what we saw from position this year, but can replace it in time. 

4A95DB41-A07C-4B36-887D-DC78190B204A.png

The thing you need to ask yourself is how easy would it be to replace his production without paying a ton of money?

I think it would be pretty easy. A second or third round rookie plus a cheaper veteran should be able to thrive in this offense. We have a great OL, a dangerous passing game, and a QB who is extremely dangerous as a runner. So it’s not like we need a RB who can make things happen on his own.

We should also consider that with two first round picks, one of which will be at the bottom of the first round, we might be looking at someone like Bijan Robinson or Jahmyr Gibbs staring us in the face. They would be upgrades in talent over Sanders at a cost controlled price for 5 years.

• Like 2

Yeah as much as i like Sanders he might have played himself out of our price range.

If i were him id take lower pay so he can keep playing behind this Oline.

42 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Yeah as much as i like Sanders he might have played himself out of our price range.

Being real, a RB should really take the biggest contract with the most gtd money he can on their second contract. Their careers are too short, the injuries too common, and the position is too devalued.

A position like QB or OT where you can play for 15 years and you’re being paid a lot is where I’d be willing to sacrifice some money to be in the right situation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, opa-opa said:

If I were him I’d take the biggest deal I can get. Running backs have some of the shortest careers of any position (other than freaks like Frank Gore). Needs to get all his money as soon as he can. 

A little over 3/4 of the season complete.

Miles Sanders is 5th in yards at 1068

T-3rd in TDs at 11

T-4th in 1st downs at 54 (Hurts is 2nd - 59)

He might be playing his way to a contract higher than the Eagles are willing to pay him… IMO.

• Like 2