Miles Sanders contract year

MidMoFo

1 minute ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I’d be good with that as well if they can find one. Just don’t overpay.

I’d rather they draft their guy.

19 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Nobody is sure, but there is something the Eagles like enough about him enough to keep him on the 53 all season. On the season, he was active for just 2 games, had 2 touches and 2 nice runs. While it doesn't appear their plans are/were to get him involved this season, it looks like they really want to keep him around to compete for a role next season as Sanders and Scott enter free agency.

I don’t think we will really know what they think of him till the off-season. If they let Sanders all and they don’t address the backfield in the draft then maybe they do see a future here, but they haven’t exactly been gushing over the guy either, because there’s been opportunities to keep him going, but they didn’t.

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d rather they draft their guy.

I’m good with that. Question is do they draft one early in the first or wait? You can find good backs in the later rounds if you look hard enough.

Just now, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I’m good with that. Question is do they draft one early in the first or wait? You can find good backs in the later rounds if you look hard enough.

Cornerback might be a bigger earlier need. Slay is starting to slow down and Bradbury is on a one year deal. You can get a good back in later rounds too.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think we will really know what they think of him till the off-season. If they let Sanders all and they don’t address the backfield in the draft then maybe they do see a future here, but they haven’t exactly been gushing over the guy either, because there’s been opportunities to keep him going, but they didn’t.

We poached him off wavers after the 9ers tried to sneak him on to their PS and haven't exposed him to the waiver wire all season despite moving a lot of guys on and off IR. To me, that says they like him and want to keep him here. I'm not sure if they see his future as a lead back or part of a RBBC, but so far, they see his future as an Eagle. 

I don't think the Eagles will use a day 1 or 2 pick on a RB. We don't currently have much in the way of day 3 picks. If we get a couple more day 3 picks, I can see the Eagles drafting a RB. Otherwise, I think we'll be looking at the ones that slip out of the draft.

The Eagles like Gainwell and know he'll be back, so I seriously doubt they'll draft a RB early even if Sanders leaves. Don't be surprised if Scott is brought back too. Now that he's our KR, he's even more valuable to us. 

7 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

We poached him off wavers after the 9ers tried to sneak him on to their PS and haven't exposed him to the waiver wire all season despite moving a lot of guys on and off IR. To me, that says they like him and want to keep him here. I'm not sure if they see his future as a lead back or part of a RBBC, but so far, they see his future as an Eagle. 

I don't think the Eagles will use a day 1 or 2 pick on a RB. We don't currently have much in the way of day 3 picks. If we get a couple more day 3 picks, I can see the Eagles drafting a RB. Otherwise, I think we'll be looking at the ones that slip out of the draft.

The Eagles like Gainwell and know he'll be back, so I seriously doubt they'll draft a RB early even if Sanders leaves. Don't be surprised if Scott is brought back too. Now that he's our KR, he's even more valuable to us. 

They poached the kid from the Lions the year before, played him a lot against Dallas in the final game and he didn’t even make the roster. I’m not that optimistic Sermon is going to be a mainstay player yet. There’s a much better chance they bring back Miles instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Infam said:

He can catch it so maybe he’s not considered a pure RB. 470 yards with 13avg last year, almost 400 with 9 average this year.. that might change things.

He’s just a weapon.Would fit in nicely. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Sanders will get big money in free agency. I think he’s good but he’s a product of the system. You saw yesterday how much better he runs having Hurts handing him the ball. That’s because teams have to account for Hurts pulling it back and running with it. No one is worried about Minshew pulling it back. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

They poached the kid from the Lions the year before, played him a lot against Dallas in the final game and he didn’t even make the roster. I’m not that optimistic Sermon is going to be a mainstay player yet. There’s a much better chance they bring back Miles instead.

All I'm saying is they seem to want him to compete for a role next season, which is why they've kept him on the 53 this year. I'm not making any predictions.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

All I'm saying is they seem to want him to compete for a role next season, which is why they've kept him on the 53 this year. I'm not making any predictions.

Maybe, but I still feel like they’re not sold on him just yet. I think they’re open to many options. 

7 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I don’t think Sanders will get big money in free agency. I think he’s good but he’s a product of the system. You saw yesterday how much better he runs having Hurts handing him the ball. That’s because teams have to account for Hurts pulling it back and running with it. No one is worried about Minshew pulling it back. 

That’s what I’m thinking here too. That to go with the fumbles and teams will be hesitant to pay the big bucks he wants. I could see him back in Philly possibly on a one year prove it deal. 

I'm not a big Sanders fan at all. He's just an above average guy IMO.  No way the Eagles pay him they must let him walk.

There's a lot of FA RB's from what I've seen, and if they go that rout (instead of the draft) K. Hunt would be the perfect RB in this offense. Can run in between the tackles with power and catch out of the backfield. Just a perfect fit, and not a lot of wear and tear the last few years. Not to be overlooked, but just 4 career fumbles. He'd be huge here.

On 12/25/2022 at 7:16 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Cornerback might be a bigger earlier need. Slay is starting to slow down and Bradbury is on a one year deal. You can get a good back in later rounds too.

For a team entertaining Super Bowl this year, we sure have a lot of needs next year. But one thing that we do have is QB that we can build around, and that is an awesome feeling. At some point we will have to take a step back and loose some of the older players that we have, so that can get more youth.  But that does not mean that we will take a major step back. Merely retooling. 

On 12/25/2022 at 1:49 AM, D-Shiznit said:

This game was a good indication that Miles is a JAG RB when without the threat of Hurts' running ability enhancing his play.

I don't think he's a JAG, but he also enjoys a dual threat QB and an OL that blows open the biggest holes in the NFL with elite WRs putting the defense on their heels.  We can't make the mistake of paying him for what Hurts, the OL, and the WRs make him look like...otherwise we can't pay Hurts, the OL, and the WRs.

I want to start off by stating that HB Miles Sanders has been playing his heart out, and was rewarded with a Pro Bowl appearance. 

Miles Sanders has publicly stated that he hopes to remain a Philadelphia Eagle, but it kind of reminds me of TE Zach Ertz. A great player that is loved by the fans, but my gut feeling is that  he most likely will be playing for another team next season.
Did his fumble against the Cowboys solely cost the Eagles the game, NO! Of course not, but I do think it left a lot of fans unhappy with Miles despite a great performance this year. Sure Boston Scott fumbled the handoff (Credited to Minshew), but Boston Scott is also 3rd on the Depth Chart and gets the ability to claim it was on QB Gardner Minshew more than him. 

The thing is HB careers are incredibly short in the NFL on average, and the position isn't valued as a Premium Position (such as LT, QB, etc.) and running backs don't get drafted in the first round as much anymore. Josh Jacobs in 2019 went 24th overall, Saquon Barkley went in 2018 draft 2nd overall, 2017 4th overall Leonard Fournette & 8th overall Christian McCaffery but doesn't seem to occur as much as it used to in previous years.

The best running back for the Eagles franchise is LeSean McCoy (based on stats - 1,461 attempts for 6,792 yards and 44 touchdowns!

Miles Sanders has been an Eagles for four years and has 3,614 yards (1,175 currently this season), for an average of five yards per carry!   Which is a fantastic stat!  He also shares reps with multiple HBs all four years as an Eagle. He is also injury prone, but I think he only missed eight games in total. He does tend to fumble at least that is what most fans will say yet he has only fumbled eight times in four years. His run blocking has greatly improved this season, and he was targeted 174 times in four years and caught 124 times for 942 yards.

So if you ask the question has Miles Sanders performed well enough to deserve a great contract and stay in Philadelphia the answer is clearly YES. But...

I just don't see it happening, unless he runs for over 200 yards in both of the last two final games or has one huge run that gets him even more media attention but really even in that case I think it just makes his price tag too high for the Eagles especially for an injury prone back that has to split carries to avoid getting injured.

Miles Sanders current contract of 4 years for 5.3 million (with 1.2 million as his base salary this season).

As a UFA next year what do you think his current value would be at?  

Christian McCaffery received 64 million over four years (signing bonus of 21.5 million - 30 million guaranteed at signing).

The Philadelphia Eagles (GM Howie) is incredibly skilled at paying his players the exact market value, and I think it's one of his best skills. He doesn't tend to overpay players.

While many will argue Miles Sanders won't receive Christian McCaffery money he certainly would get more than Leonard Fournette whom received 21 million over 3 years with the Tampa Bay Bucs.  * ( 7 million a year on average) I think Miles Sanders is worth at least 10 million a year and would want much of it guaranteed. Would Miles accept less to remain an Eagle?

What salary do you think is too much to retain Miles Sanders?

Bijan or bust. No way should we pay this dude, he's decent but makes awful mistakes at critical times. Lets be honest... there's ALOT of RBs in this league that can put up his numbers from this year in this offense. This offense is a RB's wet dream.

8 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

I want to start off by stating that HB Miles Sanders has been playing his heart out, and was rewarded with a Pro Bowl appearance. 

Miles Sanders has publicly stated that he hopes to remain a Philadelphia Eagle, but it kind of reminds me of TE Zach Ertz. A great player that is loved by the fans, but my gut feeling is that  he most likely will be playing for another team next season.
Did his fumble against the Cowboys solely cost the Eagles the game, NO! Of course not, but I do think it left a lot of fans unhappy with Miles despite a great performance this year. Sure Boston Scott fumbled the handoff (Credited to Minshew), but Boston Scott is also 3rd on the Depth Chart and gets the ability to claim it was on QB Gardner Minshew more than him. 

The thing is HB careers are incredibly short in the NFL on average, and the position isn't valued as a Premium Position (such as LT, QB, etc.) and running backs don't get drafted in the first round as much anymore. Josh Jacobs in 2019 went 24th overall, Saquon Barkley went in 2018 draft 2nd overall, 2017 4th overall Leonard Fournette & 8th overall Christian McCaffery but doesn't seem to occur as much as it used to in previous years.

The best running back for the Eagles franchise is LeSean McCoy (based on stats - 1,461 attempts for 6,792 yards and 44 touchdowns!

Miles Sanders has been an Eagles for four years and has 3,614 yards (1,175 currently this season), for an average of five yards per carry!   Which is a fantastic stat!  He also shares reps with multiple HBs all four years as an Eagle. He is also injury prone, but I think he only missed eight games in total. He does tend to fumble at least that is what most fans will say yet he has only fumbled eight times in four years. His run blocking has greatly improved this season, and he was targeted 174 times in four years and caught 124 times for 942 yards.

So if you ask the question has Miles Sanders performed well enough to deserve a great contract and stay in Philadelphia the answer is clearly YES. But...

I just don't see it happening, unless he runs for over 200 yards in both of the last two final games or has one huge run that gets him even more media attention but really even in that case I think it just makes his price tag too high for the Eagles especially for an injury prone back that has to split carries to avoid getting injured.

Miles Sanders current contract of 4 years for 5.3 million (with 1.2 million as his base salary this season).

Christian McCaffery received 64 million over four years (signing bonus of 21.5 million - 30 million guaranteed at signing).

The Philadelphia Eagles (GM Howie) is incredibly skilled at paying his players the exact market value, and I think it's one of his best skills. He doesn't tend to overpay players.

While many will argue Miles Sanders won't receive Christian McCaffery money he certainly would get more than Leonard Fournette whom received 21 million over 3 years with the Tampa Bay Bucs.  * ( 7 million a year on average) I think Miles Sanders is worth at least 10 million a year and would want much of it guaranteed. Would Miles accept less to remain an Eagle?

$999k

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 4:23 PM, JournalistMic said:

If they tagged Sanders, he would get slightly under $10M, the Eagles would keep a guy on young legs for 1 more season without committing beyond that. He would be a better value than Agholor was on his 5th year option. The Eagles should not consider using a 1st or 2nd rd pick on RB this draft. We have two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd and two 7ths as of right now. We need to use our higher draft picks on positions of importance where rookie salaries are a real bargain on average. Putting off drafting a RB for 1 more season may be the better move as we should have more day 2 and 3 picks that year (especially after we get some comp picks from the many UFAs we won't be able to bring back after this season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

If they tagged Sanders, he would get slightly under $10M, the Eagles would keep a guy on young legs for 1 more season without committing beyond that. He would be a better value than Agholor was on his 5th year option. The Eagles should not consider using a 1st or 2nd rd pick on RB this draft. We have two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd and two 7ths as of right now. We need to use our higher draft picks on positions of importance where rookie salaries are a real bargain on average. Putting off drafting a RB for 1 more season may be the better move as we should have more day 2 and 3 picks that year (especially after we get some comp picks from the many UFAs we won't be able to bring back after this season. 

A running back looking for long term stability on his first non rookie contract is most likely not going to sign a franchise tag . Howie doesn't use them anyways. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

A running back looking for long term stability on his first non rookie contract is most likely not going to sign a franchise tag . Howie doesn't use them anyways. 

I agree it's not Howie's style, but RBs that have held out for contract reasons in recent years have not fared well. He'd sign the tag --- it's guaranteed money and more in one season than he's made his entire career. He claims he wants to remain in Philly, so not signing it would make no sense.  But like you said, it would be more of a surprise for Howie to use the tag. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Agreed on the tag.  I think it is more likely they let Sanders test the market first to determine his worth.  Obviously they don't want to overpay to retain him (nor can they considering the current cap situation, the need to ink Hurts to a market contract in the very near future, and a significant number of players contributing in key roles scheduled to become free agents at the start of the new league year).  Perhaps another team with ample cap space swoops in and offers him much more than we are comfortable giving him.  Or because of how the position has been devalued over the years he doesn't find the market he was hoping for and signs something that works for both sides.  

• Like 2

If he would sign a team friendly deal, I wouldn't be opposed. 

That said, I don't know that he would do that. Should we look to address the position in the draft, I would like one that is also some sort of receiving threat.

I don't know how he would do as the lead back, but I do know that Gainwell has averaged 4.3 yards per carry for his career and is decent with catching the ball, too.

I haven’t seen much in gainwell to say he’s the to guy to replace sanders so if he did go we’d probably have to draught someone. 

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Agreed on the tag.  I think it is more likely they let Sanders test the market first to determine his worth.  Obviously they don't want to overpay to retain him (nor can they considering the current cap situation, the need to ink Hurts to a market contract in the very near future, and a significant number of players contributing in key roles scheduled to become free agents at the start of the new league year).  Perhaps another team with ample cap space swoops in and offers him much more than we are comfortable giving him.  Or because of how the position has been devalued over the years he doesn't find the market he was hoping for and signs something that works for both sides.  

I don't like the idea of giving him 10 million on the tag either. Then howie is going to have to find another 10 million for the other players that are much more important then a running back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1