Miles Sanders contract year

MidMoFo

10 hours ago, nipples said:

RB careers are SHORT. Sanders is going to be 26 when next season starts. That means that he probably only gets one chance for a big contract in his career, and that one chance is next offseason. 

This is the issue. 26 is late middle age for a running back. Running backs don't fade away as they get older, they fall off the table, often in their late 20's.  Sanders has never played this well in his career. The franchise tag for a running back in 2023 is about $13 million which is what he'll be looking for.  It would be crazy to spend that kind of cap space on an aging player who had a peak year.  That's something the Raiders or Commanders would do, not the Eagles. 

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

This is the issue. 26 is late middle age for a running back. Running backs don't fade away as they get older, they fall off the table, often in their late 20's.  Sanders has never played this well in his career. The franchise tag for a running back in 2023 is about $13 million which is what he'll be looking for.  It would be crazy to spend that kind of cap space on an aging player who had a peak year.  That's something the Raiders or Commanders would do, not the Eagles. 

The only reason he's having a peak year is because he's not being underutilized though. If anything it just means he has less wear and tear at his age than other RBs. I'm not saying I want to chuck money at him but I'm not necessarily scared about him signing a new contract with us.

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah sure but then also... Like a RB can probably earn himself a good... $20M in his career? Like a RB as good as Miles I'm sure can earn that. To most people that is a lot of money. 

That’s about 4-5 a year? Seems reasonable for a legit back. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s about 4-5 a year? Seems reasonable for a legit back. 

But they can play for more than 4-5 years so they could make more than that. 

All of the questions about Sanders resurfaced today except for the durability stuff. I am beginning to wonder how much of Sanders play has been due to his ability and how much of it is due to Hurts ability to hold the linebackers. Sanders looked quite pedestrian today as a back and that was not an elite run defense.

• Like 4

Two bad fumbles two weeks in a row, but some team will still sign him to a big contract this offseason. Probably the Eagles 🙄

• Sad 1

Sanders is way down on my list of players to re-sign. Rather have Hargrave, Edwards, Bradberry and CJ. 

You can plug in Gainwell, re-sign Scott and draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd and get the same type of production. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Two bad fumbles two weeks in a row, but some team will still sign him to a big contract this offseason. Probably the Eagles 🙄

Eagles probably going to sign him, but he’s not getting a big payday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Eagles probably going to sign him, but he’s not getting a big payday.

They’ll resign him then he’ll revert back to form and be injured, fumble more often, and end up with like 700 yards 👎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

They’ll resign him then he’ll revert back to form and be injured, fumble more often, and end up with like 700 yards 👎

Maybe they find a replacement, but I don’t think that guy is on the roster. Not sold on Gainwell either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Maybe they find a replacement, but I don’t think that guy is on the roster. Not sold on Gainwell either.

Me either. Gainwell is a good receiver but he’s not big enough to handle 20-25 touches a game. He’s not running between the tackles and getting the tough yards.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Me either. Gainwell is a good receiver but he’s not big enough to handle 20-25 touches a game. He’s not running between the tackles and getting the tough yards.

I’d prefer a 3 down back. I’m okay with seeing less of Gainwell next season. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Would love Jahmyr Gibbs from Alabama. He’s absolutely dynamic but it would probably cost us the 32nd pick. I don’t think they spend a 1st on a RB. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, M.C. said:

With the way our RB's have been fumbling as of late, maybe they should give Trey Sermon a chance.

If they wrap up things against the Saints you probably will get your chance to see Sermon against the Giants. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Too bad we didn't win today. Had we won, I think we would have seen a lot of Sermon the next 2 games. The Eagles haven't risked taking him off the roster (to move him to the PS) for a reason. Hopefully we take care of the saints and see a lot of Sermon in the final week.

• Like 2

This game was a good indication that Miles is a JAG RB when without the threat of Hurts' running ability enhancing his play.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Would love Jahmyr Gibbs from Alabama. He’s absolutely dynamic but it would probably cost us the 32nd pick. I don’t think they spend a 1st on a RB. 

He can catch it so maybe he’s not considered a pure RB. 470 yards with 13avg last year, almost 400 with 9 average this year.. that might change things.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I'd rather draft a WR to replace Quez Watkins than to draft a RB in first round. If anything, I may go a different position in first round.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Too bad we didn't win today. Had we won, I think we would have seen a lot of Sermon the next 2 games. The Eagles haven't risked taking him off the roster (to move him to the PS) for a reason. Hopefully we take care of the saints and see a lot of Sermon in the final week.

Not so sure Sermon is the option either, but I do hope he gets a chance to play some by the Giants game. 

1 hour ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I'd rather draft a WR to replace Quez Watkins than to draft a RB in first round. If anything, I may go a different position in first round.

I had such high hopes for Quez. What a disappointment. He’s basically Todd Pinkston but worse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I had such high hopes for Quez. What a disappointment. He’s basically Todd Pinkston but worse. 

His only memorable plays from this year has basically been heavily responsible for our only losses. Aside from that it's been him getting 0 yards on end arounds and screens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not so sure Sermon is the option either, but I do hope he gets a chance to play some by the Giants game. 

Nobody is sure, but there is something the Eagles like enough about him enough to keep him on the 53 all season. On the season, he was active for just 2 games, had 2 touches and 2 nice runs. While it doesn't appear their plans are/were to get him involved this season, it looks like they really want to keep him around to compete for a role next season as Sanders and Scott enter free agency.

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d prefer a 3 down back. I’m okay with seeing less of Gainwell next season. 

I’d be good with that as well if they can find one. Just don’t overpay.