Is it Time to Visit the Wentz and the Commanders Topic?

EazyEaglez

On 1/11/2023 at 9:18 PM, EaglesRocker97 said:

This is a pretty naive post. You will never hear a teammate say that because they are professionals, but you don't need to. The fact that Wentz literally quit on them, took his ball, and went home because his wiggle feewings were hurt that he was benched tells you all you need to know about. I'm pretty sure his teammates saw what was clear as day to any one with a clue and a shred of objectivity toward the situation.

Likewise, you will never hear a coach go out and say these things, but it was clear as day to everyone that he needed to change. If nothing else, Doug's benching of Wentz showed that he was not getting the job done and needed to change his style of play, but he didn't. He refused, stamped his feet, and forced a trade and made the team take a 30+ million cap hit, like a selfish, entitled little whiny b**ch. The team only quit on Wentz after he showed zero compunction to work on himself for the betterment of the team.

It's not a matter of feeling jilted, it's a matter of the guy being the epitome of an unprofessional loser. Time to call a spade a spade. Everyone has some sort of emotional connection to that situation, but the ones whose emotional responses are the most laughably detached are the ones who make excuse after excuse for that fraud and grasp at straws to downplay his shortcomings like "WeLl, HoW dO YoU kNoW WeNtZ wAs a BaD TeAmMatE aNd pLaYeR. HiS tEaMmAtEs aNd cOaCheS dIdN't sAy So!!!"

Because we have eyes, ears, and a clue.

hulk-hogan-mic-drop.gif.2fd05ab92ae05409e5ba9952c36d266f.gif

"Because we have eyes, ears, and a clue."

And more than a little bias (bigotry/racism are such ugly words) I blame Wentz more for the Indy mess than the Eagles mess. I wonder how your man Jalen would have fared this year if he had Wentz' 2020 receiving corps? I'll bet a good sum he wouldn't be in Phoenix right now unless he bought a ticket. I have nothing against Hurts, he did better this year than I expected but he had help.

15 hours ago, eglz1 said:

"Because we have eyes, ears, and a clue."

And more than a little bias (bigotry/racism are such ugly words) I blame Wentz more for the Indy mess than the Eagles mess. I wonder how your man Jalen would have fared this year if he had Wentz' 2020 receiving corps? I'll bet a good sum he wouldn't be in Phoenix right now unless he bought a ticket. I have nothing against Hurts, he did better this year than I expected but he had help.

Wentz was the number one biggest reason they sucked in 2020. This version of Hurts would have fared much better. Not saying they would have been a super bowl team, but I don't believe they'd have been one of the worst. Wentz had 19 turnovers that year. Jalen doesn't turn the ball over often. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Wentz was the number one biggest reason they sucked in 2020. This version of Hurts would have fared much better. Not saying they would have been a super bowl team, but I don't believe they'd have been one of the worst. Wentz had 19 turnovers that year. Jalen doesn't turn the ball over often. 

Taking care of the ball is one of Hurts strong points. A.J., DeVonta and Goedert have had quite a lot to do with Hurts being in the MVP discussion. That's true of most 'superstar' QBs though; how did Rodgers look the first half of the year without Davante Adams? Only exception I can think of is Brady, he had some good receivers in New England but no household names.

On 1/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, brkmsn said:

Respected players like Kelce, M. Jenkins,  S. Leonard, etc... have all said postive things about him. All we ever had were "anonymous sources" and since when do Philly fans lift up the pretend voices of cowards?

Maybe those players choose not to say anything negative about any former teammates?

Using your metrics, TO was a great teammate too?  He certainly had his fair share of friends while he was with the Eagles.

Wentz is a cancer.  He will have ended his career in Washington.  It is unlikely any team will be desperate enough for his talent or his mentorship.

4 hours ago, Vee said:

Maybe those players choose not to say anything negative about any former teammates?

Using your metrics, TO was a great teammate too?  He certainly had his fair share of friends while he was with the Eagles.

Wentz is a cancer.  He will have ended his career in Washington.  It is unlikely any team will be desperate enough for his talent or his mentorship.

Just give me one named source (a player or coach that was actually on a team with him) that said he was a bad teammate. IMO, some fans just buy into rumors so long as they align with their opinion. I don't have the need to trash a player's character even if I don't think he was a good player. I'm able to move on from a player that didn't work out without the need to create some phantom problem to justify why it all went wrong. It went wrong because he struggled on the field in a season where the entire team (including the coaches) struggled. It's that simple.

When he was demoted, he didn't stop practicing. He ran the 2nd team in practice. It doesn't surprise me that it bothered him to be demoted. Yet, he didn't say a negative word about the decision, those that made it, or the player that replaced him. He simply kept his mouth shut and did what the team asked him to do. After the season, he no longer wanted to stay with the organization that lost confidence in him. That's called "mutual" as both sides lost confidence in each other. A trade happening was the only possible resolution and everybody knew this. The Eagles' attempts to reconcile were nothing more than a "show" to make it appear they still valued him (for as many draft picks as they could get). If you believe anything else, I believe you're pretty gullible. 

When it all went down, I was afraid we had made a big mistake. Thankfully Hurts turned out to be the antidote and is proving to be special. So I really don't care about all the drama about the things that didn't work. I just don't believe the "click-bait" nonsense that sells like Tastykakes in the Philly area. 

I don't think that any NFL player needs to call him out.  Where's the gain?

Players rarely called out Terrell Owens.  Why would they pin themselves to a QB that can't keep a job.  Kick a player when they're down?  Nah.  That's not really how the NFL Players operate.  You think people love Rodgers in the Green Bay locker room?

https://sportsnaut.com/carson-wentz-reputation-players/

What's the upside to calling out any player you might have to play with?  

Let me ask you something else, I can't seem to remember a time when any NFL player was calling out another teammate publicly?  I think it happens, but its so rare.  You think they all respect each other and get along?  I don't, I just don't think it's the NFL way to air that kind of laundry publicly.  Prove me wrong.

On WIP this morning, Cataldi was paraphrasing from Marcus Hayes, who reportedly has quotes from Roseman to the effect of stating that he drafted Hurts with no intention other than protecting the organization against further injuries to Wentz. However, Wentz copped an attitude the minute that Hurts stepped on the field and it appeared that the team was gravitating toward his personality and responding well to his play on the field. The moment Wentz sniffed a hint of competition, his composure began to unravel, and that's when the organization realized that they had to move on.

I just herd about this, so I'm not sure if there's a Hayes article that reports this or not. I'll have to look for it. Either way, no need to tell me that I was 100% right about Wentz; I already know that. Opie is a fraud.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 8:39 PM, Vee said:

Let me ask you something else, I can't seem to remember a time when any NFL player was calling out another teammate publicly?  I think it happens, but its so rare.  You think they all respect each other and get along?  I don't, I just don't think it's the NFL way to air that kind of laundry publicly.  Prove me wrong.

If you are a player or coach and you trash your players, you are cutting your own throat in the NFL.  

4 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I just herd about this, so I'm not sure if there's a Hayes article that reports this or not. I'll have to look for it. Either way, no need to tell me that I was 100% right about Wentz; I already know that. Opie is a fraud.

This article is everywhere now:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2023/02/eagles-howie-roseman-rips-carson-wentz-if-youre-worried-about-competition.html

I'm just glad this organization knew when to get off of the Wentz train.  Only thing worse than drafting a bad player is not getting rid of the stink fast enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vee said:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2023/02/eagles-howie-roseman-rips-carson-wentz-if-youre-worried-about-competition.html

I'm just glad this organization knew when to get off of the Wentz train.  Only thing worse than drafting a bad player is not getting rid of the stink fast enough. 

I just came here to post that :lol: 

Yeowsers! That’s about as close as I can recall where someone trashed a former player as direct as Howie did without actually mentioning the player by name. 

6 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The moment Wentz sniffed a hint of competition, his composure began to unravel, and that's when the organization realized that they had to move on.

Which is pretty much how it looked from the outside. 

A couple of years later he's pretty much played himself out of a starting job anywhere.  Somebody will sign him to be a backup and maybe to push the starter, but that's pretty much it.  What a waste.  He was so very good in 2017.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vee said:

Meanwhile, Cowboys are scared to get rid of Dak. Eagles lucked into this situation by Howie stupidly (at time) drafting a QB (Hurts) in 2nd round. Most teams/GMs wouldn't have done something like that, especially after paying a QB big money. Funny thing is Cowboys could have had Hurts instead of Dak and Trevon Diggs, who played a role in losing game against 49ers.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Meanwhile, Cowboys are scared to get rid of Dak. Eagles lucked into this situation by Howie stupidly (at time) drafting a QB (Hurts) in 2nd round. Most teams/GMs wouldn't have done something like that, especially after paying a QB big money. Funny thing is Cowboys could have had Hurts instead of Dak and Trevon Diggs, who played a role in losing game against 49ers.

Yeah.... that was the draft where the Eagles OR Cowboys could have landed both Hurts AND Jefferson.....

From the article:

Unhappy, Wentz had head coach Doug Pederson fired, then forced his way to Indianapolis when the Eagles refused to dump Hurts. 

If Howie was unsure of Wentz, so he drafted Hurts (which I fully believe), then how would Wentz have the pull to 'have' Doug fired? 

Is that an 'established fact' that I just missed or is that just the writer putting some spin on that situation?

• Like 2

Honestly, I think Doug wanted out.  This was the offseason prior.  Dude was checked out.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

giphy (1).gif

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

From the article:

If Howie was unsure of Wentz, so he drafted Hurts (which I fully believe), then how would Wentz have the pull to 'have' Doug fired? 

Is that an 'established fact' that I just missed or is that just the writer putting some spin on that situation?

I’m No Wentz fan, but I don’t believe that part of the article. Doug is gone because he had a different vision going forward by what was said at the time. 

• Like 1

Bringing this back one more time for old time's sake.  And of course, the enduring schadenfreude.

I don't hate the guy, but he was an entitled fraud and weak-willed in the face of a challenge to his birthright as "franchise" QB. 

tate.jpg

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Still nobody interested in him? I suppose everyone will wait for training camp/pre-season injuries or at least until after game 1 so that he's not fully guaranteed for the season. 

On 2/9/2023 at 11:02 PM, gameshowfan91 said:

Last time I remember that happening it was the Commanders drafting RG3 then Cousins in the same draft.  Eerily ended up the same way, didn't it?

On 6/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Still nobody interested in him? I suppose everyone will wait for training camp/pre-season injuries or at least until after game 1 so that he's not fully guaranteed for the season. 

Wentz offers no team anything they want.  He should start calling Canadian teams, or maybe this XFL restart...

11 hours ago, Vee said:

Last time I remember that happening it was the Commanders drafting RG3 then Cousins in the same draft.  Eerily ended up the same way, didn't it?

First off, Cousins was drafted in 4th round, not second round. And second, RG III wasn't paid top QB money. Also, did Commanders get bashed for drafting Cousins in 4th round?

8 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Also, did Commanders get bashed for drafting Cousins in 4th round?

I don't recall any 'bashing', but I do recall a lot of people being puzzled at the decision. 

On 6/17/2023 at 4:25 AM, gameshowfan91 said:

First off, Cousins was drafted in 4th round, not second round. And second, RG III wasn't paid top QB money. Also, did Commanders get bashed for drafting Cousins in 4th round?

RG3 was paid a bit lower than Wentz for his rookie deals, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.  Wentz went #2, RG3 went #10.

So Cousins goes in the same draft to a team that had found it's franchise QB.  They traded their 2nd Round pick to get their franchise QB. Then, with their third pick in the entire draft they go back and select another QB?!?  Because that happened to be in the fourth round you somehow discount that as being less alarming?

Yeah, the DC Market was pretty fired up over that.  Deservedly so.