Is it Time to Visit the Wentz and the Commanders Topic?

EazyEaglez

I remember saying not too long ago that Wentz would become a 2nd string QB for good, BEFORE this season was over. Of course, there are desperate teams out who think they might take a shot. Whatever. He IS a 2nd, maybe 3rd string QB. What a very weird career this guy had. I don't feel sorry for him anymore- he is an F ing millionaire and can just walk away from it all and live a normal, happy family life. That's what I would do- if my career where that weird and negative. But knowing him... he won't be able to put his cape in the trunk in the attic.

• Like 1

While things didn't end on a good note in his last season with us, he still is a big reason why the Eagles were able to win Super Bowl 52 with his regular season performance, so can't help but feel bad for the circumstances that led him to this current state.

A lot of it is on him being stubborn with his playing style, but he's also had to endure quite a bit between all the injuries, watching Foles win a Super Bowl as a backup after laying the groundwork for the #1 seed and an MVP caliber season, and our front office hedging on their investment with the big contract extension by drafting Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round in 2020.

I'd call it the perfect storm, and this is why I don't think we can put him in the same category as Ben Simmons with his exit from the 76ers, it's a very different set of circumstances.

7 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I remember saying not too long ago that Wentz would become a 2nd string QB for good, BEFORE this season was over. Of course, there are desperate teams out who think they might take a shot. Whatever. He IS a 2nd, maybe 3rd string QB. What a very weird career this guy had. I don't feel sorry for him anymore- he is an F ing millionaire and can just walk away from it all and live a normal, happy family life. That's what I would do- if my career where that weird and negative. But knowing him... he won't be able to put his cape in the trunk in the attic.

I don’t really see what he brings as a backup quarterback at this point. Is he a guy who can come in and win a bunch of games at this point? No and in fact he could lose you a bunch if he suckers a team into thinking his garbage time numbers are real and go with him instead of the young guy. Is he a guy who a team could maybe reform and flip for a pick? No we are on team two for that kind of thinking. Fool me once…. Is he a guy you want mentoring a young quarterback? Not in any way at all! We already know how his relationship was with Hurts, and how insecure he was with Foles so I highly doubt he’s a guy who could ever mentor when in his stubborn mind he thinks he should be the starter. Besides would you want your young quarterback to emulate any of the terrible habits that got him here to begin with? Maybe there is some dumb or arrogant team (again) who wants to play in the Wentz pool and think they can fix him like Sam Bradford all over again, and if so good luck to them. It’s failing for sure. Wentz should take his money and run with the health and whatever else left he hasn’t torn up or broken for this sport. 

• Like 2

Wentz's career continues to spiral downward

JAN 4, 2023

/BY REUBEN FRANK

Rueben%20Frank%20%281%29.jpg

Reuben Frank

Carson Wentz’s career continued spiraling downward Wednesday when he was benched – again – by the Washington Commanders.

Wentz, an MVP candidate with the Eagles five years ago, will be inactive Sunday for the Commanders’ season finale against the Cowboys, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported Wednesday morning.

The Commanders acquired Wentz from the Colts in March and designated him the opening day starter. 

He lost his job to Taylor Heinicke after breaking a finger in a win over the Bears at Soldier Field in mid-October. The Commanders, who were 2-4 under Wentz, went 4-1 under Heinicke, who remained the starter after Wentz was healthy.

But Commanders head coach Ron Rivera, the Eagles’ linebackers coach from 1999 through 2003, benched Heinicke for Wentz during a loss to the 49ers two weeks ago, and with the Commanders needing a win over the Browns this past weekend at FedEx Field to remain in playoff contention, Rivera made the surprising decision to bench Heinicke and turn to Wentz.

But Wentz responded with statistically the worst game of his seven-year career. He was 16-for-28 for 143 yards with no TD passes and three interceptions for a 31.4 passer rating in the 24-10 loss.

It was the worst performance by a Washington Football Team quarterback at home since Rex Grossman had a 23.7 rating and was picked off three times by Kurt Coleman in a loss to the Eagles in 2011.

Wentz’s previous lowest passer rating in 93 career starts was a 31.9 in a 48-7 Eagles loss to the Saints at the Superdome in November of 2018.

Fowler reported that Heinicke will start against the Cowboys Sunday, rookie 1st-round pick Sam Howell from North Carolina will be No. 2 and Wentz will be inactive.

This is the third straight season that has ended in disaster for Wentz, the second pick in the 2016 draft. He was benched for Jalen Hurts with the Eagles in 2020 and he played awful in disastrous season-ending losses to the Raiders and Jaguars that cost the Colts a playoff spot last year.

Wentz turned 30 last week and has a 28-34 record since going 11-2 with 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions to open the 2017 season, start the Eagles’ Super Bowl run and earn MVP consideration.

What does his future look like?

It seems clear Wentz won’t be back with Washington. Wentz is signed through the 2024 season, but the Commanders can release him without absorbing any dead money, and you would expect Howell – the 5th pick this year – to be their QB of the future.

It's hard to imagine another team giving Wentz a chance to start, at least right off the bat. The last time he finished a season without getting benched or traded was 2019, when his only career playoff appearance ended with a concussion.

Wentz could go somewhere and be a backup with his fourth team in four years at a drastically reduced salary. He wasn’t awful this year before the Browns game, and he played well most of last year with the Colts before the last two games.

But it also wouldn’t be surprising if Wentz retired. Since the Super Bowl season, his career has been an endless whirlwind of injuries, benchings and trades. He’s earned over $128 million according to Spotrac, he’s got two young daughters, he’s very active in his AO1 Foundation, he’s an avid hunter, and he certainly doesn’t need football at this point.

Whatever happens next, Wentz has already had one of the strangest careers ever. 

He's got a Super Bowl ring thanks to Nick Foles, he was a Pro Bowler at 24, he still holds numerous Eagles passing records and he's about to be jettisoned by a third team in three years.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/former-eagles-star-carson-wentz-benched-again-commanders

• Like 3

Do the Commanders win today’s game if Wentz were under center? Sorry, but I don’t see it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Do the Commanders win today’s game if Wentz were under center? Sorry, but I don’t see it. 

Not even close, in my humble opinion....I think he is toast at this point and rightfully so.....hopefully, NOW his knob slobbers will stop arguing with other people about his 'greatness'.....

Things haven't gone well for Wentz on the football field. I'm not sure why, to some, it's so important to see the guy fail. I felt like the Eagles made him into scape goat in a year when nobody on the team played well (Fulgham was the lone bright spot!). The Colts made him into a scape goat for their failures (nothing changed after dealing him away). The commanders stint has just not worked out. 

When you consider Goff, it seemed like the rams gave extra compensation for the lions to take him and his contract. It wasn't so pretty last season. But after his 2nd season there, his ship may be righting. We all talked about how Hurts would benefit from having the same OC and system for a second straight year. That seemed to benefit both Hurts and Goff. Wouldn't it stand to reason that Wentz would benefit from that as well? Actually, it did as he made great improvement from his rookie season through his 2nd season. Then the Eagles began replacing coaches. 

I'm not really trying to make a big deal about what has happened. In the end, we committed to Hurts and that has worked out for us. So at this point I don't really care that Wentz didn't. I just think that if he ends up in a favorable situation where he can have some continuity, he could possibly turn his career around. 

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2023 at 12:19 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

😂 Reuben says Howell was their 1st round pick and then doubles down and says he was the 5th pick.  

5th Round Pick, Reuben.  Not 5th overall!  

On 1/7/2023 at 11:19 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Pretty crazy what happened. His career has been definitely strange. The collapse is so odd

His haters are definitely enjoying this though. Lots of revisionist history too

I doubt he starts again but there are some bad teams

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Pretty crazy what happened. His career has been definitely strange. The collapse is so odd

His haters are definitely enjoying this though. Lots of revisionist history too

I doubt he starts again but there are some bad teams

I don't understand the hate, I don't hate him. I don't 'love' him, but I appreciate him. At least the 2017 him. 2017 alone is enough for Eagles Nation to not hate him and appreciate him. 

As for the downward spiral, I think it's a combination of things ranging from his ego to his 2017 knee injury. Add to that the blow to his psyche of having one of the best seasons of any Eagles QBs in 2017 only to have a statue of his backup being erected outside the stadium after said backup going on the greatest post season run in franchise history and having the fanbase embrace said backup in their (our) hearts forever. 

That's GOT to be a huge blow to someone in that kind of position. I remember seeing an interview of him, back around 2016, where he was explaining that throughout his whole life, he was the 'leader'. As a kid, he brought the ball to play with, he called the plays/shots. He was 'it'. Well, in Philly, Nick is 'it' forever and Carson became a footnote. That's got to be rough for him to take. 

Now, two years after having been traded away from the Eagles, he's on his second (1 season and done) team and his new Eagles backup is leading the Eagles on the best regular season in franchise history, earning the #1 seed and the division title (will there be more to come?). 

Let Jalen win us our second Lombardi and that will likely be the final blow to his fragile ego. Two of his backups in Philly would have led the Eagles to championships. Of course we're a LONG way away from that happening and I'm not counting any chickens before they hatch. 

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't understand the hate, I don't hate him. I don't 'love' him, but I appreciate him. At least the 2017 him. 2017 alone is enough for Eagles Nation to not hate him and appreciate him. 

Maybe we can start a go fund to get @EazyEaglez some therapy.  He has a very unhealthy obsession with Carson Wentz.

13 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Not even close, in my humble opinion....I think he is toast at this point and rightfully so.....hopefully, NOW his knob slobbers will stop arguing with other people about his 'greatness'.....

I don’t see how anyone could ever think at this point he belongs in the league. His last numbers with the Commanders were horrible. If Dak were producing like that Eagles fans would call him trash and wouldn’t expect him to ever play again, but Wentz is supposed to get yet another shot to fail? I mean let’s face it. The Eagles didn’t get the better player between him, Goff, and Dak. They got the worst of the three. I know that’s a hard pill to swallow for some, but it is what it is. Over the years I must also state that had he not gotten hurt I don’t think he wins in the playoffs. I just haven’t seen anything close to showing me he could do that. So I for one am not like some of the others around here who want to give him gushing praise for regular season wins especially since we are talking about one season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t see how anyone could ever think at this point he belongs in the league. His last numbers with the Commanders were horrible. If Dak were producing like that Eagles fans would call him trash and wouldn’t expect him to ever play again, but Wentz is supposed to get yet another shot to fail? I mean let’s face it. The Eagles didn’t get the better player between him, Goff, and Dak. They got the worst of the three. I know that’s a hard pill to swallow for some, but it is what it is. Over the years I must also state that had he not gotten hurt I don’t think he wins in the playoffs. I just haven’t seen anything close to showing me he could do that. So I for one am not like some of the others around here who want to give him gushing praise for regular season wins especially since we are talking about one season. 

Put Goff or Dak on Eagles instead of Wentz, Eagles don't win Super Bowl. They may be mediocre now with Goff or Dak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Over the years I must also state that had he not gotten hurt I don’t think he wins in the playoffs.

We can all say stupid things that can never be verified. It doesn't strengthen any argument. You really are oddly obsessed with the guy, though. Why are you asking us if he deserves a shot somewhere else? That's up for other teams to decide. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Put Goff or Dak on Eagles instead of Wentz, Eagles don't win Super Bowl. They may be mediocre now with Goff or Dak.

Goff was the highest rated QB in the NFL over the last 8 or so games, so you're probably wrong about that.   Dak sucks tho.  

Wentz should retire. His career is over unless he goes to the Raiders and can be given a very long leash to prove himself. At his age, I don't see a team taking a chance on him as a starter, but he will get signed as a backup if he's open to it.

He just does not have it.  Last year the Colts needed to win 1 out of their last 2 games to make the playoffs, he failed in both of them.  This year I feel the Commies were well positioned to make the playoffs and e was named the starter against the Browns at home and then preceded to have one of his worst games of his career and they were eliminated from the playoffs.  Look what happened the years he was here.  Its like he's allergic to make it and compete in the playoffs either through Injury or poor play.  He should just call it a day and focus on hunting. 

• Like 1

You people are nuts.  Just watch the tape.  NO ONE drops dimes like Wentz

Spoiler

13 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

That’s probably true, but at least Goff has had playoff success where the others haven’t. I don’t think Dak or Wentz get the Lions to a winning record either. 

12 hours ago, brkmsn said:

We can all say stupid things that can never be verified. It doesn't strengthen any argument. You really are oddly obsessed with the guy, though. Why are you asking us if he deserves a shot somewhere else? That's up for other teams to decide. 

Because this thread is about Wentz. You certainly don’t have to partake if you don’t want to. Why do people obsess about crying for the guy? What does it matter to you what anyone writes about him? That makes no sense to me. You know what I do when I see threads I don’t like? I just ignore them. No one made you come in here bud. 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Because this thread is about Wentz. 

... and you created it. 

I'm here for entertainment and ... well ... if you're going to obsess about the guy, I'm going to point it out. It's just very odd how badly you seem to want to see him out of the league. I know you've accused some here of hating Hurts because of the color of his skin and I've also seen you repeatedly refer to Wentz as a ginger (with negative connotations). Do you have some kind of problem with fair-skinned, red-haired people? Maybe it's his religious beliefs that have you in a stir. There's definitely no shortage of ways to "bigot." 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

... and you created it. 

I'm here for entertainment and ... well ... if you're going to obsess about the guy, I'm going to point it out. It's just very odd how badly you seem to want to see him out of the league. I know you've accused some here of hating Hurts because of the color of his skin and I've also seen you repeatedly refer to Wentz as a ginger (with negative connotations). Do you have some kind of problem with fair-skinned, red-haired people? Maybe it's his religious beliefs that have you in a stir. There's definitely no shortage of ways to "bigot." 

Daaaaayyyyuuummmmm !!! 

Most red heads are pretty gross though. 😁

30 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

... and you created it. 

My issue is with his play, his attitude, but most importantly with how so many excuses were made for him. That’s it. I don’t want him out the league. I believe his own play will dictate that. He doesn’t need me to "want” it. His own play will determine that dude. So I started it. I’ve started a lot of threads around here. Sorry not sorry this one hurts your feelings though. He’s also not the only player I’ve been critical of past and present. He’s just the only one that gets people butthurt. I’ve also been complimentary of Wentz, but the apologist only see the so called hate. If I’m wrong about Wentz then prove it. Otherwise you can keep your opinions to yourself. Funny cause I spent most of the entire Quez Watkins thread basically being critical of him to yet not too many people are crying about it. 😂🤣😂 Why should it treat Wentz any differently?

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

My issue is with his play, his attitude, but most importantly with how so many excuses were made for him. That’s it. I don’t want him out the league. I believe his own play will dictate that. He doesn’t need me to "want” it. His own play will determine that dude. So I started it. I’ve started a lot of threads around here. Sorry not sorry this one hurts your feelings though. He’s also not the only player I’ve been critical of past and present. He’s just the only one that gets people butthurt. I’ve also been complimentary of Wentz, but the apologist only see the so called hate. If I’m wrong about Wentz then prove it. Otherwise you can keep your opinions to yourself. Funny cause I spent most of the entire Quez Watkins thread basically being critical of him to yet not too many people are crying about it. 😂🤣😂 Why should it treat Wentz any differently?

7FF4B62C-5B5E-472D-B387-BC9313AD6565.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Daaaaayyyyuuummmmm !!! 

Most red heads are pretty gross though. 😁

She respectfully disagrees. 

😁

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1