Quez Watkins

bigdog54

5 hours ago, opa-opa said:

The pass was also underthrown by Hurts...

The whole play from the design of it to the call of it to the execution of it was just awful. You don’t dial up any plays for Watkins let alone in a key part of the game. You don’t call that play in that spot when the focus is on draining clock and trying to score if you can. You don’t call that play when your QB has been ill all week. And you don’t call that play when the shorter stuff is working and the big plays have been questionable all year. 

It was just dumb all around.

• Like 1

Seems to me that one of the the most basic functions of coaching is not starting players who have consistently lost you games.  By this measure, if I see Quez or Bradberry on the field this week I lose any remaining faith I had in Siriani and Co. 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, brkmsn said:

I don't care if they cut Quez, Oz and Jones and replace them with Thrash or Pinkston, so long as they actual game plan to use them as targets. Demanding we cut a player because he's not used is par for course around here. It's not the player, it's the scheme. Whoever we put in there is going to be among the bottom of the league in yards per route run. The fact that Jones is on the list too just demonstrates that. Cut Quez, sign Ertz, play him in the slot and see him get around 0.2 yards per route run. Will that make you guys feel better?

I knew as soon as that DB got away with the DPI and caught the pass that the Anti-Quez mob would be absolutely giddy this week. While I totally disagree with the idea of cutting him to make irrational fans mad, I hope after the season he latches on with a team that actually uses all the receivers that play.  We simply don't use a WR3 and our offense unsurprisingly is a topic of disgust amongst the fan base. Let's get rid of the guy that has been targeted only 10 times (7 receptions) --- that will fix everything!

It would be nice if he would actually make a positive play when his number is called, regardless of how minimally that is.  Save all the other nonsense.  They need to be playing OZ more in place of him.  At least those few plays that go to him don't end up hurting the team.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

It would be nice if he would actually make a positive play when his number is called, regardless of how minimally that is.  Save all the other nonsense.  They need to be playing OZ more in place of him.  At least those few plays that go to him don't end up hurting the team.  

IMO, it's stupid to make a big deal about a player on the other end of a non-called DPI regardless of the result. In that Rams game, his first back and obviously not 100% recovered yet, he made a bad decision with the ball on a play that was defended pretty well. Those are the 2 mole-hills this season fans are turning into mountains. He has no drops, no fumbles and on plays where he is wide open, the play is designed only to go to "Name" players or bust. 

Injuries have kept him off the field for a large part of this season. In his place, nobody has really done anything 100% positive and their combined contributions are extremely minimal. It's obvious that certain media voices and fans are just waiting for those bad plays where they can point their fingers at him and say, "I told you so." I seriously doubt Watkins re-signs with the Eagles in the off-season. It will be interesting to see his career if he lands on a team with a passing philosophy that spreads the ball around. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Those are the 2 mole-hills this season fans are turning into mountains. He has no drops, no fumbles and on plays where he is wide open, the play is designed only to go to "Name" players or bust. 

He has next to no plays either! Because he’s not good. Because he sucks. He makes no plays and he hurts the team when targeted. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He has next to no plays either! Because he’s not good. Because he sucks. He makes no plays and he hurts the team when targeted. 

He keeps focusing on this season (and seems to think my post is related to a single play where "the DB got away with the DPI and caught the pass" lol).  Sure he had a promising rookie season but since then has largely been a disappointment.  Regardless of the number of targets he gets a much higher percentage (relatively speaking) of them end up negatively impacting the team (not fighting for the ball leading to INTs, drops at crucial times, etc). It’s a shame he could never develop into something at least serviceable.  I don't think it is "stupid" (quoting him) to simply suggest giving those limited snaps to OZ - he at least has shown he can make plays (and perhaps an extra positive play here or there could help to sustain drives and lead to more success on offense).  But his overall point about the offense (filtering mainly through 3 targets) is spot on.  I believe that is partly on play design but also on Hurts for not going through his progressions properly and seeing the whole field.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yes, the Eagles don't utilize the slot receiver like other teams do. Nobody in that position will be very productive. The 2nd part is a false narrative. Quez had a couple bad games last season when Minshew started, but last season when Quez was targeted by Hurts, he had a 102 QB rating, so it's hard to argue he was hurting the team like you are suggesting. 

Obviously the most recent mole-hill being discussed is the INT where Quez was the target. The DPI that wasn't called, prevented him from contesting the INT in exactly the same way the DPI that wasn't called on the INT to Brown later prevented him from contesting the INT. Either they both suck because of the result or there was a factor that played a large role in the outcome that people are choosing to ignore on purpose to promote a narrative. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

He keeps focusing on this season (and seems to think my post is related to a single play where "the DB got away with the DPI and caught the pass" lol).  Sure he had a promising rookie season but since then has largely been a disappointment.  Regardless of the number of targets he gets a much higher percentage (relatively speaking) of them end up negatively impacting the team (not fighting for the ball leading to INTs, drops at crucial times, etc). It’s a shame he could never develop into something at least serviceable.  I don't think it is "stupid" (quoting him) to simply suggest giving those limited snaps to OZ - he at least has shown he can make plays (and perhaps an extra positive play here or there could help to sustain drives and lead to more success on offense).  But his overall point about the offense (filtering mainly through 3 targets) is spot on.  I believe that is partly on play design but also on Hurts for not going through his progressions properly and seeing the whole field.  

FYI, I only said it's stupid to ignore the DPI to hate on a player on a play that resulted in an INT. It's not stupid to suggest or believe another player could be a better player. I just think once a player is on this fan base's "hate" list, they are inconsistent with the reactions after a negative play where the player was involved. If Quez ever was in the endzone and had a perfectly thrown pass bounce off his facemask, we wouldn't hear the end of it. But somehow everybody is convinced Oz would come down with passes with DBs draped all over him. 

At this point, here's where I stand. This offense is not a good fit for Watkins despite his solid blocking. I don't believe he's the bad player people make him out to be, nor do I believe he is "elite." I believe a team that uses him properly and plays him on the outside can have a very productive season from him. I like having Quez on the team in case Brown or Smith have a major injury, but I'm not sold he's all that valuable in the slot, nor am I sold on how we deploy a slot WR in our offense. Nobody has looked good in the slot in Sirianni's offense and he's a "WR guy." 

I'm not really big into "what-ifs" and before people get butt-hurt, I want to explain that in no way am I comparing / equating any two players in this thought, but just imagine if we had Brown and Smith and this was the year Justin Jefferson came out, was drafted by the Eagles and put in as the slot WR in this system. Does anybody see Jefferson as a player on a HOF trajectory as our slot WR (obviously not knowing what we know now about how he can excel on the outside and as a WR1) ?

• Like 1

Watkins flat out stinks.  He will stink for his next team if he has a next team.  He will stink out wide or in then slot.  Doesn't fight for balls and is frequently hurt.  A lousy NFL player.

• Like 1

So sick of the "he’s not that bad” hot garbage postings. If 7 catches for 49 yards and zero touchdowns in seven games "isn’t that bad” then what exactly is bad? 

• Thanks 1

Also regarding that INT, Quez didn’t sell the DPI, and Quez didn’t fight for the football. The defensive player grabbed Quez and caught the pass. In short the defensive player was a better receiver than Quez. This is basic Quez. He’s soft and shy’s away from contact. Enough with the excuses. Let some other team try and figure out how to use him. Don’t care, because he’s a waste of space here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Also regarding that INT, Quez didn’t sell the DPI, and Quez didn’t fight for the football. The defensive player grabbed Quez and caught the pass. In short the defensive player was a better receiver than Quez. This is basic Quez. He’s soft and shy’s away from contact. Enough with the excuses. Let some other team try and figure out how to use him. Don’t care, because he’s a waste of space here. 

He has early hands. Receivers with late hands screw up the timing of the DB on passes like that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, judunno said:

He has early hands. Receivers with late hands screw up the timing of the DB on passes like that.

He also has "uh oh here comes contact so I better turtle up” demeanor. Won’t miss this dude when he’s gone. 

15 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

...is trash.

Hes as useful as Reagor.

Saw Agholor catching babies last night.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, judunno said:

Saw Agholor catching babies last night.

3 receptions, 10 yards and 1 TD.  The babies were only dropped from the first floor window but he did catch them!

49 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Likely safe to assume the coaching staff see what we've all (or most of us) have been seeing.

image.png.7a3b815de7a390e86e05899b2a418567.png

Source:

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-snap-counts-quez-watkins-barely-plays-vs-giants/554425/

It could be that. It could be he had a little tightness on his hamstring. I really liked seeing them get a touch to Covey on offense. That's something I had been waiting for. I'd like to see him get a couple touches each game on offense. At the very least it gives the defenses something else to prepare for and you would hope they can throw in different wrinkles. 

But at the end of the day, nothing changed. Our slot WRs played 40 snaps, 6 targets, 2 catches, 12 yards. It's still, IMO, the offense, not the player. Oz had a nice block  on the TD, but our WRs have been blocking well all year, including Quez. 

It's weird how we have a game like this where for some unknown reason an unpopular player gets only 1 snap and people are quick to bump the thread even though the replacements did nothing of note production-wise. While the following play was a special teams snap which is something Watkins wouldn't be in on, if this had been Watkins, fans would be in an uproar and we wouldn't hear the end of it:

8 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It's weird how we have a game like this where for some unknown reason an unpopular player gets only 1 snap and people are quick to bump the thread even though the replacements did nothing of note production-wise. While the following play was a special teams snap which is something Watkins wouldn't be in on, if this had been Watkins, fans would be in an uproar and we wouldn't hear the end of it:

This wasn't a "bump".  This has been an ongoing discussion about one player ... Quez.  Posting the above had absolutely nothing to do with any other player other than ... Quez.  It was merely posting a game stat.  Like everyone else, feel free to interpret everything else as you see fit.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Likely safe to assume the coaching staff see what we've all (or most of us) have been seeing.

image.png.7a3b815de7a390e86e05899b2a418567.png

Source:

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-snap-counts-quez-watkins-barely-plays-vs-giants/554425/

Is it weird that Covey’s on screen catch feels like he’s done as much or more than Quez has done all year? And since we are reading into things, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Quez gets one snap and the offense scores 33 points. 

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Is it weird that Covey’s on screen catch feels like he’s done as much or more than Quez has done all year? And since we are reading into things, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Quez gets one snap and the offense scores 33 points. 

I just look at what he adds … doesn’t matter if he gets 20 or 2 snaps.  Does he contribute in a positive way for the majority of those snaps.  Seems a fairly larger percentage of the plays (relative to other receivers) in which he is targeted end up not only not helping but actually hurt the team.  I thought he had a very good rookie season and was hoping he’d build on it.  I’ve continued to support him … up until recently.  It is try the offense as a whole is underwhelming but if we separate that from the players it shouldn’t be unreasonable to expect all players to contribute at a certain level (again regardless of their role/number of snaps).

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I just look at what he adds … doesn’t matter if he gets 20 or 2 snaps.  Does he contribute in a positive way for the majority of those snaps.  Seems a fairly larger percentage of the plays (relative to other receivers) in which he is targeted end up not only not helping but actually hurt the team.  I thought he had a very good rookie season and was hoping he’d build on it.  I’ve continued to support him … up until recently.  It is try the offense as a whole is underwhelming but if we separate that from the players it shouldn’t be unreasonable to expect all players to contribute at a certain level (again regardless of their role/number of snaps).

The beginning of this season I was pretty down on Quez, and frankly I got pretty annoyed by anyone tried to act like writing or saying anything negative about Quez was overreacting. Now I’m just officially out on Quez Watkins, because he brings nothing to the table of merit. The Eagles can’t throw it to him short. Can’t throw it to him deep. He can’t play special teams. It’s obvious to me that the coaches went back to that Seattle game and saw Quez did nothing to fight for that football that was intercepted. Over the past two seasons I can still only think of one good Quez Watkins play, but I can think of numerous disastrous plays that have happened throwing the ball to this guy. 7 catches for 49 yards in 8 games, but yeah it’s the fans overreacting. Quez is just fine. :wacko:

Didn’t see him much last week. Is it safe to say he’s gone after this year and the Eagles will hopefully be looking for a third receiver this offseason?

1 hour ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Didn’t see him much last week. Is it safe to say he’s gone after this year and the Eagles will hopefully be looking for a third receiver this offseason?

I'd say it's safe to say he's gone after the season. But I'm not convinced the Eagles have any plans to utilize a WR3 and even if they do, it won't be to the standard the fans expect for a WR3.