Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

42 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh i think their playoff chances depend on the next 9 games vs. marlins and nats. Imo they need to go 6-3 at worse to have a chance at the end. Cause after these 9 they have 7 against atlanta and 2 against Toronto. I imagine with how the pitching is looking and hitting is going that 2-7 over that span isn’t far fetched 

Hopefully Wheeler and Seranthony are back by that stretch but I have my doubts they can even handle the Nats and Marlins at this point.  The Nats just won 2 in a row against the Mets, and of course we are facing Alcantara again against the Marlins.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Hopefully Wheeler and Seranthony are back by that stretch but I have my doubts they can even handle the Nats and Marlins at this point.  The Nats just won 2 in a row against the Mets, and of course we are facing Alcantara again against the Marlins.

just bringing it out there would cole hamels be a good pitching coach?

21 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

I have a feeling wheeler isn’t coming back this year. They gave him 15 days and he still has inflammation of his forearm. I forget what beat writer was on WIP talking about it but he laid out with how the Phillies were talking and their past with dealing with injuries that he believes there’s more going on with wheeler then the Phillies are letting on. He thought this was an injury that potentially linger into the offseason.

Tbh one of the reasons i really wanted them to make a push for another front line starter at the deadline is because i didn’t trust Suarez to hold up all year. he’s never thrown this many innings. Nola has always had struggles in September. Gibson is hit or miss. And eflin couldn’t be trusted even if he came back. Wheeler i thought would be a constant but his injury just makes me solidify my feelings that this offseason they need to get another Ace type pitcher. He’s getting older and not sure you can just rely on him being What he’s been and holding up.   

dominguez i think returns sometime this week which really helps give the Phillies at least their 8th and 9th inning guys. The issue is really finding other guys who can be consistent. Feels like it’s a crapshoot on what the hell you are gonna get from anyone not named Robertson (for an inning) and dominguez when healthy 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him before the end of the year 

19 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I have a feeling wheeler isn’t coming back this year. They gave him 15 days and he still has inflammation of his forearm. I forget what beat writer was on WIP talking about it but he laid out with how the Phillies were talking and their past with dealing with injuries that he believes there’s more going on with wheeler then the Phillies are letting on. He thought this was an injury that potentially linger into the offseason.

Tbh one of the reasons i really wanted them to make a push for another front line starter at the deadline is because i didn’t trust Suarez to hold up all year. he’s never thrown this many innings. Nola has always had struggles in September. Gibson is hit or miss. And eflin couldn’t be trusted even if he came back. Wheeler i thought would be a constant but his injury just makes me solidify my feelings that this offseason they need to get another Ace type pitcher. He’s getting older and not sure you can just rely on him being What he’s been and holding up.   

dominguez i think returns sometime this week which really helps give the Phillies at least their 8th and 9th inning guys. The issue is really finding other guys who can be consistent. Feels like it’s a crapshoot on what the hell you are gonna get from anyone not named Robertson (for an inning) and dominguez when healthy 

If Wheeler is done for the season then I really hope they don’t make the playoffs.  Wheeler and maybe Nola would give them a slight chance but just Nola?  Absolutely no way they even win a game.

5 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

If Wheeler is done for the season then I really hope they don’t make the playoffs.  Wheeler and maybe Nola would give them a slight chance but just Nola?  Absolutely no way they even win a game.

Not sure you can really count on nola in September. Discounting September 2020 cause they played 60 games, his era in 2021 was 6.19 and in 2019 it was 6.51. 

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not sure you can really count on nola in September. Discounting September 2020 cause they played 60 games, his era in 2021 was 6.19 and in 2019 it was 6.51. 

That’s why i said slight chance with both of them in a playoff series, but with just Nola, forget it.  That’s if they even get there which I doubt.

Also where’s the power from Schwarber, harper and hoskins. Harper has 0 HRs in his last 31 at bats. Schwarber has 3 since start of august (103 AB). Rhys has 2 in his last 90 AB. 

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

I don't get it. Even if they have no chance of winning (which I don't agree with but that's beside the point), why wouldn't you want them to make the playoffs?

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I don't get it. Even if they have no chance of winning (which I don't agree with but that's beside the point), why wouldn't you want them to make the playoffs?

Because who wants to watch them get swept and not even put up a fight?  Totally pointless 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Because who wants to watch them get swept and not even put up a fight?  Totally pointless 

Was that your attitude in ‘07?  They snuck in and got swept. We know what happened the next year. 

Not saying they’re winning next season, but it’s dumb to say you don’t want them to get in just because they might get swept. 

• Like 2

Next 9 games are everything. MIA WAS MIA. If they don't get on a run here, we're in trouble. Need a 6-3 or 7-2 performance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

The spark we needed?!?

Idk. But funny news if the Braves win tonight the Mets are in a first place tie. So they are about to blow a once 10.5 game division lead lol. 

Good win but really shouldn’t have to scratch and claw against the marlins.  But they need anything they can get right now

4 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Meanwhile we’re afraid to bat Marsh against lefties 

Yup that’s why i didn’t want them to trade him. It’s gonna look even worse when relamuto really declines and they need a catcher. I really hate trading away good hitting catcher prospects. It’s not easy to find great hitting catchers. 

• Like 1