Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Kevin Stocker has been kind of fun to listen to on the radio feed this weekend.  I liked Chad Durbin too. 

3 hours ago, John Blutarski said:

Eflin is a big puss. Enough with this fragile bish. Need a starter before the deadline bigtime.

He is no longer reliable and he isn't that good anyway

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Kevin Stocker has been kind of fun to listen to on the radio feed this weekend.  I liked Chad Durbin too. 

I haven’t heard Chad Durbin, yet. I appreciate they keep jobs in-house, though.

Nice way to head into the break.  Will be interesting to see what they do at the deadline 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Nice way to head into the break.  Will be interesting to see what they do at the deadline 

Wow even this guy is feeling positive. Let’s gooo! 

Huge sweep to go into the break. Big statement in my opinion. I think we are close to being a decent team with one more starter, one more solid bullpen piece and our hitters back healthy.

Phillies just picked CF Justin Crawford, son of Carl Crawford with their 1st round pick. Drafted out of high school I hope he he doesn't follow the Moniak path. 

• Like 2

The Phillies have a great track record with drafting high school outfielders..... 

6 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Phillies just picked CF Justin Crawford, son of Carl Crawford with their 1st round pick. Drafted out of high school I hope he he doesn't follow the Moniak path. 

We’ve gone from beating Carl Crawford in our last World Series title to now drafting his son 14 years later. 

• Like 1

The Phillies just love picking toolsy high school kids. Unfortunately their track record is crap. I can’t count the number of times I’ve gone to minor league games to watch their prospects and see former first round picks hitting .200.

This is gonna be a long wait too.

On the other hand, sons of former major leaguers seem to do well lately: Bo Bichette (taken in the 2016 draft long after Moniak, and out of high school), Cal Quantrill (also 2016 draft after Moniak), Vlad Guerrero Jr, etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

The Phillies just love picking toolsy high school kids. Unfortunately their track record is crap. I can’t count the number of times I’ve gone to minor league games to watch their prospects and see former first round picks hitting .200.

This is gonna be a long wait too.

To be honest, I don't know anything about this kid other than what I posted. If it was me, I would just pick the college players. To me, that is the safer way to go, especially when player development has been a major problem for a decade. But, hopefully with Preston Mattingly in charge, things will get better. Gonna take a couple of years to find out though. 

A Nevada HS though

the PHL - Nevada connection at work

I really dislike the toolsy outfielder from high school. We have rarely had success with that. I’d have taken Daniel susac the catcher from Arizona. Susac is likely ready in 2 years. So when realmuto really declines he’s ready to take over. Allows you to use O’hoppe in a trade at the deadline. Susac is a really good hitter. Have had Arizona coaches under Johnson and now under hale tell me he’s going to be an all star as a hitter  but he’s even better in how he calls the game. 

13 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Wow even this guy is feeling positive. Let’s gooo! 

Huge sweep to go into the break. Big statement in my opinion. I think we are close to being a decent team with one more starter, one more solid bullpen piece and our hitters back healthy.

huge indeed, the marlins have been a monkey on this team's back for years.

• Like 1

The MLB all star game was once the only all star game to watch, I am done after 2 batters, the uniforms are terrible and it is a big joke ohtani gets picked off, the one all star game you could say was a good game is ruined, garbage

The all star game has been a joke since the year they ran out of players and couldn’t finish the game.

9 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah, I saw the first half inning and that was it.  I hate that they don't wear their own uniforms.  There was always something majestic about seeing those stars playing with other stars, representing their own squads.  

Don't  expect any changes, How can anyone enjoy that crap

https://www.thewrap.com/tv-ratings-fox-mlb-all-star-game-tuesday-primetime/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah, I saw the first half inning and that was it.  I hate that they don't wear their own uniforms.  There was always something majestic about seeing those stars playing with other stars, representing their own squads.  

It all started with Selig. He literally took all of the great traditions of MLB and threw them all in the crapper when he became commish. My favorite was when he decided to make the all-star game determine home field advantage for the World Series. :nonono:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/jonathan-papelbon-delivers-nsfw-rant-phillies-bryce-harper

I know Paps is the all time team leader for saves but what a stupid signing that was. 5 years for a declining closer? Surprised the Nats actually traded for him. 

He’s not wrong about the organization, but I disagree with everything else, especially Harper. 

3 hours ago, Blazehound said:

He’s not wrong about the organization, but I disagree with everything else, especially Harper. 

This

What an idiot. Yeah our biggest problem is our reigning MVP outfielder who is signed for eternity and did a (all things considered) team friendly deal so we could spend money to get good players. 

Papelbon is a joke, always was.