Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

This team is beyond frustrating. Back to zero offense. Castellanos couldn't give two ishes. Somehow he has no power this year to go with his crap OBP and crap attitude. Gibson has become too inconsistent. Eflin has glass knees and isnt that good anyway. Every time Wheeler and Nola pitch the offense takes a night off and wastes too many quality starts. They are about to get swept by the Fn Cubs who were 1-9 in their last 10 and 22 games under .500 before playing the Phils. 

9 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Well with no offensive help, this team isn’t doing ish.  So there’s no reason to make a move.  

This.  They need to sell

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So what?   The guy is bombastic and cocky when things are going well (last year) and looks like he doesn’t give a F this year.  It’s gonna get worse for him now.  Between him, Hoskins and Bohm, I don’t know who is more unlikable.  Sign the contract to come to Philly and make all that money, you might wanna toughen up a little.  

i think this is the biggest example of why pivetta has been saying that there's a big culture problem here and the reason why the phillies are always in this funk. you need players that know how to win and experienced winning and not chasing after money. i mean is it all on joe? no, i think he tried to do all he can and flamed out because the players arent trying or listening. that's the real problem with this team, there's no winners on the roster, if there was winners on this roster, i think joe wouldnt have a problem with them.

no manager is going to change this.

Yup getting swept by the cubs. 

Trash team about to be swept by the lowly Cubs.  Good thing Castellanos is mic'd up though...

if we get swept by the Braves we will be 49-49. I’d actually look to sell at the deadline at that point or if making move do it for 2023. This team is flawed. We have guys who can’t hit consistently. Even schwarber who was great in June has been lackluster in April, May and June. Goes back to what i said at the end of June, he was great in June cause he was walking, getting hits and hitting homers. The other 3 months it’s hit a homer or basically useless. Ditto for Rhys who’s really been what he is either extremely hot or just ice cold. Castellanos has been awful all year. Realmuto while better this month is a shell of what he was 2-3 years ago. Not having segura and harper killed this team. Legitimately bohm is our most consistent hitter right now but bleh power 

haven’t talked about how falter and gibson in the same rotation and relying on eflin is eventually going to implode. 

3 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

if we get swept by the Braves we will be 49-49. I’d actually look to sell at the deadline at that point or if making move do it for 2023. This team is flawed. We have guys who can’t hit consistently. Even schwarber who was great in June has been lackluster in April, May and June. Goes back to what i said at the end of June, he was great in June cause he was walking, getting hits and hitting homers. The other 3 months it’s hit a homer or basically useless. Ditto for Rhys who’s really been what he is either extremely hot or just ice cold. Castellanos has been awful all year. Realmuto while better this month is a shell of what he was 2-3 years ago. Not having segura and harper killed this team. Legitimately bohm is our most consistent hitter right now but bleh power 

haven’t talked about how falter and gibson in the same rotation and relying on eflin is eventually going to implode. 

Agreed.  They should’ve sold last year too, but instead they trade prospects for mediocre players hoping to get the last wild card spot.  The Phillies will never be relevant until they build up the farm and have actual homegrown talent.  Bryce’s prime is most likely going to be wasted.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

:pizza:

Someone on Twitter said it best, the Phillies are that goo from ghostbusters 2 that just makes everyone angry and want to kill each other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Would’ve been awesome to see 

Had some high hopes for castellanos when they signed him. I thought with the lineup around him and his ability he could be a really great player for the Phillies. He’s second on the team in hits but that’s because harper and segura got hurt and everyone else besides bohm (surprisingly jump this year as a contact hitter. Needs more power) is an inconsistent hitter or having a bad season on this team. 

castellanos war is -1.2 

he’s on pace to have his worse batting avg, worst OBP, worst SLUG % and worst OPS since he got called up his first year in the big leagues. 

He’s on pace for most Ks in his career (168 pace). And he’s swinging at everything and pitchers know it and see it 

.656 OPS ranks 132nd out of 153 qualifying MLB hitters.

last 270 AB hitting .218/.252/.300 which is 160 out 164 mlb hitters during that time

hes hit one homer since June 1  

castellanos is on pace for 14 homers and 78 RBI. Might decrease to even worse with how he’s hitting lately. which is definitely not where you want the power numbers to be and he should be way over 100 RBI considering he’s had more opportunities than he should since harper was out batting 3rd in the lineup and even before harper got hurt. He easily could be 115-125 range if he hit like last year. 

Sadly he’s been a bust so far with that contract. It’s only year one of the deal and he’s got 2 months to try and turn it around but really feels like he’s getting worse each game and the situation is getting worse around him.

21 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Had some high hopes for castellanos when they signed him. I thought with the lineup around him and his ability he could be a really great player for the Phillies. He’s second on the team in hits but that’s because harper and segura got hurt and everyone else besides bohm (surprisingly jump this year as a contact hitter. Needs more power) is an inconsistent hitter or having a bad season on this team. 

castellanos war is -1.2 

he’s on pace to have his worse batting avg, worst OBP, worst SLUG % and worst OPS since he got called up his first year in the big leagues. 

He’s on pace for most Ks in his career (168 pace). And he’s swinging at everything and pitchers know it and see it 

.656 OPS ranks 132nd out of 153 qualifying MLB hitters.

last 270 AB hitting .218/.252/.300 which is 160 out 164 mlb hitters during that time

hes hit one homer since June 1  

castellanos is on pace for 14 homers and 78 RBI. Might decrease to even worse with how he’s hitting lately. which is definitely not where you want the power numbers to be and he should be way over 100 RBI considering he’s had more opportunities than he should since harper was out batting 3rd in the lineup and even before harper got hurt. He easily could be 115-125 range if he hit like last year. 

Sadly he’s been a bust so far with that contract. It’s only year one of the deal and he’s got 2 months to try and turn it around but really feels like he’s getting worse each game and the situation is getting worse around him.

It also makes it worse that he has a DGAF attitude every time he's interviewed. Makes the fans think he DGAF on top of sucking royally.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

It also makes it worse that he has a DGAF attitude every time he's interviewed. Makes the fans think he DGAF on top of sucking royally.

Yup.

It’s surprising how many delusional fanboys castellanos has on Twitter. There’s fans on Twitter who think he’s been fine and not a bust so far cause he has the 2nd most hits on the team and 2 RBI behind harper as their reasoning.  harper has missed 31 games and castellanos is still 2 behind. That’s awful for how many opportunities castellanos has had. And he is 2nd on the team in hits for a team that has bohm leading the team. Like realmuto is not what he once was. Didi looks done. Stott really isn’t ready for the role he has. He’s basically competing with inconsistent hoskins who takes a lot of walks so he doesn’t get as many hits. And schwarber who besides June is homer or bust. and the two best hitters harper and segura have been out a month and nearly 2 months. 

• Like 1

Just amazing how Herrera is on this team still he’s a POS and hasn’t even been good since 2016 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Meh...I'll wait for Matt Gelb to report it first.  😀

Fineeeee …. Lol 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I'm not even sure what their dust up was about.  I caught the remnants of it on twitter.  

I guess Jamie posted a video of the castellanos and Salisbury that was edited to take some of the interview out. Matt called her out that her video wasn’t the full video so it lacked context. Then she said something like she didn’t know that. And he was like you would’ve if you ever showed up to the ballpark to actually cover the game and team. Called her a disgrace and he said come find him at the park if she has a problem with what he said. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh she's the one who did that?  Good she should have been called out.  It was a dumb thing to do and made Salisbury look worse.  When in reality they kind of moved on until Nick brought it back up again, like a child.  

Yeah. But Twitter turned into that Matt gelb thinks too highly of himself and he was being sexist towards her cause he wouldn’t have said what he did to another male reporter/journalist 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah. But Twitter turned into that Matt gelb thinks too highly of himself and he was being sexist towards her cause he wouldn’t have said what he did to another male reporter/journalist 

Gelb is a tool

Very crisp defensive performance by both teams here in the second inning.