Any Johnson and Maddox injury update?

Portyansky

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Just gave him an extension too. Very frustrating to see this guy can’t stay healthy. 

Hopefully, he gets his body right- if at all possible. Maybe change up his workout routine, like others have done and find more success. I'm pulling for him, but ya gotta be on the filed to help the team- bottom line.

48 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Would a better lineup be Dillard in at Left Tackle, Mailata move to Right? Leave Driscoll as the main backup?

No, I want Mailata protecting Hurts’ blindside. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

That' 3rd & 30 play really is coming back to haunt us! If they had stopped them on that, I think they would have won the game, and could have rested everyone who needed it for the next 3 weeks...but to be fair, if they hadn't given the ball up on any of those 4 turnovers, they'd have won the game too...but the 3rd & 30 was the biggest kick to the stomach! 😞

Now, they'll have to decide if they risk more injuries to try and get that #1 seed on Sunday...

Or that gift of a fumble that big man Linvall Joseph just needed to secure, but somehow let it squirt out to a Cowboy lineman. 

Talk about teams of destiny. If there’s anything that leads me to believe this might be the Cowboys’ year, it’s how every single freak play fell in their direction on Saturday. 

Not to mention how they’ve rolled through this stretch with no impactful injuries compared to us

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Torn tendon?  I can't imagine that Lane will play in the postseason, either.  Ugh.

well if we wrap up home field that's a month off. it's possible he could, but I'm not getting my hopes up 

• Sad 1

Looks like Lane has an abdominal tear according to sources. I'm hoping he's back for the playoffs, but who knows how effective he'll be. Pushing around grown men without core strength will be tough.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35323009/eagles-pro-bowl-rt-lane-johnson-abdominal-tearhttps://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35323009/

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, GoBirds2020 said:

Or that gift of a fumble that big man Linvall Joseph just needed to secure, but somehow let it squirt out to a Cowboy lineman. 

I didn't even want to mention that fumble recovery...if you watch the game, the ref initially signalled Eagles ball...then changed their mind and gave it to Dallas.

I'm still not entirely sure how Dallas got that ball, as if Joseph had possession enough for the ref to rule Eagles ball, and was in contact with a Dallas player on the ground, that should have been play over, whether a Dallas player wrestled it from him and came out of the pile with it or not...he was down by contact with possession...at least according to the initial signal.

It never went to review (as far as I can see), they simply changed their minds...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I didn't even want to mention that fumble recovery...if you watch the game, the ref initially signalled Eagles ball...then changed their mind and gave it to Dallas.

I'm still not entirely sure how Dallas got that ball, as if Joseph had possession enough for the ref to rule Eagles ball, and was in contact with a Dallas player on the ground, that should have been play over, whether a Dallas player wrestled it from him and came out of the pile with it or not...he was down by contact with possession...at least according to the initial signal.

It never went to review (as far as I can see), they simply changed their minds...

Lots of ifs in this game. But imo, that 3rd and 30 was the worst. And not using the t.o. was a close 2nd. Lost a down there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

Looks like Lane has an abdominal tear according to sources. I'm hoping he's back for the playoffs, but who knows how effective he'll be. Pushing around grown men without core strength will be tough.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35323009/eagles-pro-bowl-rt-lane-johnson-abdominal-tearhttps://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35323009/

It's not the same thing as a hernia.  Thank goodness.  According to google, full recovery in 3 to 6 weeks depending upon severity.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

To be accurate, Mailata hasn’t been great at protecting Hurts’ blind side.  Sure, he’s a mauler in the ground game, but he has left a bit….maybe more than a bit….to be desired in pass protection. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I’ve wondered about this, too.  I’m not one to typically harbor on "what ifs” and can accept the fact that the Eagles lost this game, though it seems objectively obvious this was largely due to a number of both forced and unforced errors on their part.  As someone earlier mentioned, seemingly every single significant "catch a break or lucky bounce” type moment went Dallas’s way, whereas most games featuring multiple of these will tend to see more of a split between two teams.  

On that strip sack fumble moment two plays before 3rd and 30 though, it was odd to me how the one ref that was right there did in fact initially signal that the Eagles had recovered.  I think it just went to a referee huddle as opposed to any type of replay to change it to Dallas ball.  Yes, the Dallas player clearly ripped the ball away, but what I want to know is did Joseph or whoever that was have definitive control of the ball while on the ground and in contact with a Dallas player?  It sure seemed that way to me, but they didn’t show a lot of replays so I can’t be sure.  If that was the case though, that would in fact be the end of the play and it would be Philly ball by rule, right?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Would a better lineup be Dillard in at Left Tackle, Mailata move to Right? Leave Driscoll as the main backup?

I wouldn’t mind giving this a try, tbh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EaglesFan said:

I’ve wondered about this, too.  I’m not one to typically harbor on "what ifs” and can accept the fact that the Eagles lost this game, though it seems objectively obvious this was largely due to a number of both forced and unforced errors on their part.  As someone earlier mentioned, seemingly every single significant "catch a break or lucky bounce” type moment went Dallas’s way, whereas most games featuring multiple of these will tend to see more of a split between two teams.  

On that strip sack fumble moment two plays before 3rd and 30 though, it was odd to me how the one ref that was right there did in fact initially signal that the Eagles had recovered.  I think it just went to a referee huddle as opposed to any type of replay to change it to Dallas ball.  Yes, the Dallas player clearly ripped the ball away, but what I want to know is did Joseph or whoever that was have definitive control of the ball while on the ground and in contact with a Dallas player?  It sure seemed that way to me, but they didn’t show a lot of replays so I can’t be sure.  If that was the case though, that would in fact be the end of the play and it would be Philly ball by rule, right?

Sirianni screwed up twice.  He should have thrown the challenge flag on that play and I couldn't believe they spiked the ball on the Dallas 20 with 33 seconds on the clock.  No need for that.  Running a play would have been preferable or at least call a timeout.

• Like 2

Maddox hurt again? What a shock. 🙄 I really hope Howie calls up crevon Leblanc. 

maddox stays hurt. He’s never played a full season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eagles1960 said:

Sirianni screwed up twice.  He should have thrown the challenge flag on that play and I couldn't believe they spiked the ball on the Dallas 20 with 33 seconds on the clock.  No need for that.  Running a play would have been preferable or at least call a timeout.

Absolutely...that showed his inexperience. Should 100% have called a timeout on that final drive. In the end, they walked off the field with that timeout in their pocket...poor clock management! Wasting a down was a far big a deal than using a timeout in that situation. 4 attempts to get the ball in the endzone rather than 3 throw aways would have been much more preferable...

I'm not saying it cost us the game, but it didn't help in any way. They talked about (in the ultra biased commentary!) it allowing the Eagles to use the middle of the field...but they didn't use the middle anyway, so overall, a bad final minute of play calling & clock management...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Eagles1960 said:

Agreed on the lack of calling timeout, too.  They ended the game with one still in their pocket, and to my way of thinking the extra down is much more important than saving the timeout in that situation.  I rewinded and watched that play again, and it appeared Smith was tackled with slightly over forty seconds left.  Call a timeout, and you’ve got four plays (at least) from just inside the 20 yard line.  Even if you run a play that ends with a player being tackled in bounds once, I think you still have enough time to try and score.  It’s so close to the end zone already, it’s not like linemen are going to have to waste a lot of time running to the line of scrimmage.

On the fumble, did it definitively seem like it should have been Eagles ball?  Again, that’s the way it looked to me but I wish they’d shown the replay more.  What I’m trying to ascertain is if it can be reasonably argued that Sirianni would have likely won a challenge there had he attempted one.

1 hour ago, EagleTen said:

Absolutely...that showed his inexperience. Should 100% have called a timeout on that final drive. In the end, they walked off the field with that timeout in their pocket...poor clock management! Wasting a down was a far big a deal than using a timeout in that situation. 4 attempts to get the ball in the endzone rather than 3 throw aways would have been much more preferable...

I'm not saying it cost us the game, but it didn't help in any way. They talked about (in the ultra biased commentary!) it allowing the Eagles to use the middle of the field...but they didn't use the middle anyway, so overall, a bad final minute of play calling & clock management...

All of this.

Just a poor game, overall. Coaches and players. Hopefully they learn from it and move on to put a beat down on the Saints.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, eagle45 said:

To be accurate, Mailata hasn’t been great at protecting Hurts’ blind side.  Sure, he’s a mauler in the ground game, but he has left a bit….maybe more than a bit….to be desired in pass protection. 

I think the longer Mailata plays left tackle, the harder it would be for him to switch sides. A couple of years ago, yeah sure, no problem. Now, I’m not so sure.

I have always been a Dillard supporter so I would not be against the idea of him playing left tackle. But I wonder if Mailata would be as effective as everyone is imagining on the right.

I would consider moving Seumalo to tackle and inserting Jurgens at guard. 

My guess though is that they’ll simply install Driscoll at tackle and leave everything else the same. 

Man this is a blow to this team at the worst time possible.  Any replacement for lane Johnson is going to be sub par at best. We’ve played without Maddox for a good deal of the season so I’m not too concerned there unless Scott is going to fill in.  We need Hurts healthy and that’s the most important thing but Johnson’s absence will effect a lot of plays for Hurts, more than we think it will. He’s been a luxury for Hurts and now it’s gone for the rest of the season.  But all of this is moot if the entire secondary doesn’t get their heads out of their asses!

• Like 1

Between the date of injury and the div round is a month's time, more than enough for him to recover enough to play.

Just need to beat NO...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Yup. We leave Mailata in 1v1 situations more than more than any other OT in the NFL, leave him as is.

Put the backup RT in and slide protection to help.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 6:58 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I think the longer Mailata plays left tackle, the harder it would be for him to switch sides. A couple of years ago, yeah sure, no problem. Now, I’m not so sure.

I have always been a Dillard supporter so I would not be against the idea of him playing left tackle. But I wonder if Mailata would be as effective as everyone is imagining on the right.

I would consider moving Seumalo to tackle and inserting Jurgens at guard. 

My guess though is that they’ll simply install Driscoll at tackle and leave everything else the same. 

I think it all depends on when they expect Lane to return and how reliably he'll remain in the lineup.

If they are optimistic, then insert Driscoll at RT for the Saints and forget about it.  Don't make multiple changes.  

If Lane is done, then they need to find a more creative, sustainable solution.  I think Driscoll at RT loses us a game against Dallas or SF.  Dillard/Mailata as the bookends is the most intriguing and gets the most talent on the field.  But if Dillard struggles and Mailata struggles with the flip, then one liability becomes two.  Jurgens/Seumalo is going to be a very physically underwhelming right side...we can forget about running to that side.  And if the greatest strength of this offense becomes predictable and asymmetric to the left, that could be a real problem with moving the football.  But it may also be the smoothest option for pass pro.