Any Johnson and Maddox injury update?

Portyansky

9 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

Definitely need Johnson on the line up for playoff games.  He won't be 100% regardless, so when do they put him in?  Playing Giants next week which is familiar to our guys.  Could we go without Johnson for one more game and still have enough to win it?  One extra week for Johnson to recover also one less game for his body to endure the pounding will be beneficial.  Tough call!

Not sure I like the idea of Driscoll lining up against Kayvon Thibodeaux but guess we’re going to rip off the training wheels and get him the reps. Lane has a groin issue not an abdominal which is much better news, but no guarantee he doesn’t aggravate it and get knocked out for parts of a game. 

If it’s Driscoll for the stretch run, then he’s going up against Thibodeaux and either Bosa or Parsons. 

Weak links on O-lines tend to wreck championship dreams. See the 2020 Chiefs or the 2015 Panthers. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

Definitely need Johnson on the line up for playoff games.  He won't be 100% regardless, so when do they put him in?  Playing Giants next week which is familiar to our guys.  Could we go without Johnson for one more game and still have enough to win it?  One extra week for Johnson to recover also one less game for his body to endure the pounding will be beneficial.  Tough call!

Eagles are going nowhere without an effectively playing Johnson

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Heard that Maddox is out the boot, but still doubtful for this game.

If a lack of Maddox is the difference against the Giants, we didn’t deserve to advance anyway.

If he’s available for NFCCG, that would be fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procus said:

While I agree, the Giants might be the one team in the playoffs the Eagles can beat with Driscoll at RT.

18 hours ago, eagle45 said:

While I agree, the Giants might be the one team in the playoffs the Eagles can beat with Driscoll at RT.

I don't disagree with you but at the same time I'm not sure it's a risk they should take. As tempting as it may be. 

25 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't disagree with you but at the same time I'm not sure it's a risk they should take. As tempting as it may be. 

Agreed, if he feels good to go and the team feels the same then he should play. 

Maybe start Driscoll and see how he plays. If he’s holding his own and the offense is moving, keep Lane on the sideline. If Lane is needed, have him come off the bench. The longer he sits on the bench, the longer he has to heal. In a perfect scenario, Lane suits up, but doesn’t play against the Giants. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Columbus Eagle said:

Maybe start Driscoll and see how he plays. If he’s holding his own and the offense is moving, keep Lane on the sideline. If Lane is needed, have him come off the bench. The longer he sits on the bench, the longer he has to heal. In a perfect scenario, Lane suits up, but doesn’t play against the Giants. 

Lane needs surgery he isn't going to heal. Maybe the pain is a bit more tolerable the more he rests but, the injury is still there

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lane needs surgery he isn't going to heal. Maybe the pain is a bit more tolerable the more he rests but, the injury is still there

We have seen these types of injuries before. They don't get better and they can get worse. You just hope he can be good with the injury and that it holds up for 3 games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Columbus Eagle said:

Makes sense to me. 

3 hours ago, uncphillyfan said:

I’m confused. Groin or sports hernia?

groin

A nice look at the oline's performance against the Saints, focusing on Driscoll, by a former Stanford offensive tackle and all pac 10 performer (so someone who knows what he is talking about.) 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2023/eagles-collapse-team-wide-effort

In a nutshell, Driscoll was okay. He obviously isn't Lane, but he's a competent replacement who doesn't need constant help. Cam Jordan is a nightmare matchup for a lot of tackles, and Driscoll largely held his own. 

His play also puts to bed the notion that the Eagles would move Mailata to RT and start Dillard if Lane can't go. 

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

A nice look at the oline's performance against the Saints, focusing on Driscoll, by a former Stanford offensive tackle and all pac 10 performer (so someone who knows what he is talking about.) 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2023/eagles-collapse-team-wide-effort

In a nutshell, Driscoll was okay. He obviously isn't Lane, but he's a competent replacement who doesn't need constant help. Cam Jordan is a nightmare matchup for a lot of tackles, and Driscoll largely held his own. 

His play also puts to bed the notion that the Eagles would move Mailata to RT and start Dillard if Lane can't go. 

Then perhaps Mailata belongs at RT anyway because he’s not protecting well enough for a LT.

21 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Then perhaps Mailata belongs at RT anyway because he’s not protecting well enough for a LT.

I wouldn't say that. He didn't have a Pro Bowl worthy year, but he's still above average. His pass protection slipped a bit this year, but as young a player as he is, there's no reason why he can't continue to get better and better with experience.

Extra rest isn't going to help Lane, unfortunately. It's a type of injury that doesn't heal on it's own with rest, which is why it requires surgery.  It's just pain management.  He's gonna try to just play through the pain. Maybe they can inject him with something to manage the pain.

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I wouldn't say that. He didn't have a Pro Bowl worthy year, but he's still above average. His pass protection slipped a bit this year, but as young a player as he is, there's no reason why he can't continue to get better and better with experience.

"Above average"?  He grades out as a top 10 NFL tackle, and these guys have him and Johnson both in the top 5. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/best-offensive-tackles-in-the-nfl-2022/

17 hours ago, Columbus Eagle said:

On 1/16/2023 at 7:14 PM, Procus said:

The more I hear about this injury the more I just don't think Johnson will be effective. He can take the pain but having the power to drive people backwards on run plays or withstand a bull rush (as he talked about on Pat Mc show last week) is another thing. Why Dillard hasn't trained at RT is something I don't understand. Yeah, JM can move, but then that messes with the continuity on the left side of the line. Driscoll isn't good enough and they haven't seem to plan well for this and it could keep them from a Super Bowl.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Eagles_ftw said:

Maybe they can inject him with something to manage the pain.

I would 10000% expect this to happen. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jsb235 said:

IMHO, play Driscoll at RT in the Giants game.  Give him help with a TE if he needs it.  If he can't handle the job, move Mailata to RT and play Dillard at LT.  This would weaken both T positions, so only as last resort.

Rest Johnson for this game.  The team advances to next round, the competition will be stronger and having Johnson is critical.

Iggles News posted this video regarding Lane and Jalen:

From about 3m into the video til 18 minutes in they cover it.  Someone posted a summary on reddit, so gonna quote that here too:

"For those who can't watch:

Jalen had a grade 2 (did we know this?) SC joint strain. The SC joint is what connects the sternum to the collarbone. To me it sounds like he almost broke that collarbone we are very lucky. Apparently when he played week 18 it was 80-90% healed. With the 2 weeks doc is optimistic he will be 95% on Saturday.

Lane has a partial tear in his groin. It would've been way worse if it was the abdominal muscle. Instead its on the outer layer of the abdominal wall. He should be good to go. Definitely will be in pain though. There's always a chance the tear can worsen. But as long as the abdominal wall is stable he can play through this. And he will play with a brace stabilizing that area.

He says Maddox won't be able to come back this year.

all in all sounds like we got very lucky with Lane and Jalen's injuries"

Adding to that it's said on the video that with the brace it's unlikely that Lane will make the injury worse by playing and he'll be playing at about 90%

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

"Above average"?  He grades out as a top 10 NFL tackle, and these guys have him and Johnson both in the top 5. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/best-offensive-tackles-in-the-nfl-2022/

Based on this season, I wouldn't put him as #5. His pass protection broke down a few times this season as he allowed 6 sacks. He still did very well in the run game, but needs to keep learning from his mistakes as a pass protector. I'm not sure why "above average" is an insult.

54 minutes ago, Eagles_ftw said:

Iggles News posted this video regarding Lane and Jalen:

From about 3m into the video til 18 minutes in they cover it.  Someone posted a summary on reddit, so gonna quote that here too:

"For those who can't watch:

Jalen had a grade 2 (did we know this?) SC joint strain. The SC joint is what connects the sternum to the collarbone. To me it sounds like he almost broke that collarbone we are very lucky. Apparently when he played week 18 it was 80-90% healed. With the 2 weeks doc is optimistic he will be 95% on Saturday.

Lane has a partial tear in his groin. It would've been way worse if it was the abdominal muscle. Instead its on the outer layer of the abdominal wall. He should be good to go. Definitely will be in pain though. There's always a chance the tear can worsen. But as long as the abdominal wall is stable he can play through this. And he will play with a brace stabilizing that area.

He says Maddox won't be able to come back this year.

all in all sounds like we got very lucky with Lane and Jalen's injuries"

Adding to that it's said on the video that with the brace it's unlikely that Lane will make the injury worse by playing and he'll be playing at about 90%

I saw one on another Youtube before the end of last week with Jody Mac who said Lane is going to have issues and he may have issues resting at the half. 90 percent is pretty freaking good though.

3 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

Rest Johnson for this game.  The team advances to next round, the competition will be stronger and having Johnson is critical.

:roll:

If you rest Johnson for the game, there's a good chance, he'll have a year long rest.  His injury will not get better with an extra week's rest.