Jalen Hurts discussion (Part 2) - see new topic for contract extension

VaBeach_Eagle

28 minutes ago, Bamabird said:

Just stop!

Stop what? Why does presenting factual things upset and trigger some of you so much? It’s f’in weird

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Stop what? Why does presenting factual things upset and trigger some of you so much? It’s f’in weird

Fact: Hurts was able to play with the shoulder injury, much like Allen played with the elbow injury and Mahomes played with the Ankle injury.  The team chose to rest the injury while our record permitted. The Bills and Chiefs never had that luxury. Details matter. 

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

That was his rookie year. Since then, for the same time Hurts has been in the league, Hurts has been injured and missed more games than Allen

Now do Super Bowl appearances. 

2 hours ago, Broncos72 said:

He helped Brees become the QB he was in New Orleans. Brees was going nowhere with the Chargers before he joined Payton in New Orleans. Brees is on record stating it. Payton took the Saints from a bottomfeeding franchise and made them a winning franchise. I think some have forgotten how pathetic that franchise was. And he does have winning record without Brees, while having the likes of Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater at QB.

Not a guarentee it works out in Denver or that they'll win a Super Bowl, but the guy is a very good HC and the odds are better he has success than failure in Denver.

Hate all you want but the fact is he's been a damn good coach.

Again, i hate that guy and hope he loses. IMO Pete Carmichael is to thank for Drew Brees and the Saints success. 

42 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Fact: Hurts was able to play with the shoulder injury, much like Allen played with the elbow injury and Mahomes played with the Ankle injury.  The team chose to rest the injury while our record permitted. The Bills and Chiefs never had that luxury. Details matter. 

39 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Now do Super Bowl appearances. 

Lol look at you guys falling over yourselves. 

image.gif.24965de3857e28f98d999d179da1d3fb.gif

Everyone in the NFL world recognizes the greatness of Jalen Hurts after his 2022 season.

And on the other side:  Farts in the wind are just farts in the wind.

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Just presenting facts. 

OK you guys converted me. Hallelujah!

Hurts is a god. We mere mortals aren’t worthy to wash to his feet. A human being has never existed that is as good as Hurts. He’s made of pure steel, can’t be injured by regular humans. Can leap over entire defenses without taking contact. Can run backwards to his own end zone, turn around and throw the ball 100 yards, run all the way down the field and catch his own pass. He doesn’t need any teammates or coaches because one Hurts is better than 50 men combined. 

When he farts he releases puffs of gold dust, which the poor masses collect to end their starvation. When Hurts pees, it’s pure, unspoiled water that the poor can drink to quench their thirst. When he speaks, he can heat a home in the dead of winter, or cool it down in the dog days of summer. Much like William Wallace, in times of danger he can shoot thunder bolts from his arse.

Just looking at Lord Jalen is enough to cure any incurable disease. Having him touch a woman will instantly get her pregnant. 

Lord Jalen can manipulate time and space. He knows no bounds.

The only thing he couldn’t do was win a Super Bowl, but that’s ok because that’s not Lord Jalen’s plan. The Super Bowl doesn’t even mean that much anyway. If it did Lord Jalen would have figured out how to win it.

Lord Jalen is so tough, even Chuck Norris is afraid of him. The Philadelphia police were all fired because when Lord Jalen walks around, crime instantly vanishes. 

I think I covered it all, right guys? Close the thread down, nothing left to discuss, unless it’s about how great our Lord and Saviour Jalen Hurts is. Criticism not allowed you blasphemers!

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Everyone in the NFL world recognizes the greatness of Jalen Hurts after his 2022 season.

Great post! I agree! 10/10 contribution!

Allen before UCL injury:

314 passing yards/game

3 total TD/game

.85 INT/game

After UCL injury:

245.5 passing yards/game

2.27 total TD/game

.91 INT/game

The two games that they lost after the injury (Jets 17-20, Vikings 30-33) was the difference between them getting home field advantage and Allen being able to rest two weeks going into the playoffs. So even though he didn't "miss games," the consequences may have preemptively ended their season anyway.

Not saying that I'm not concerned about Hurts getting hurt moving forward. I was more curious about how much worse Allen's stats were after his injury.

The bottom line is all players get injuries. Some play through injuries. Everybody deals with some degree of soreness and pain at some point. Some injuries are major and prevent the the player from playing. Some injuries can take longer to heal if reaggravated.

As a fan, I don't worry about minor injuries. Even a history of minor injuries isn't worrisome to me. If a player has to sit out a game or two, so be it. 

I find it strange when people take, for example, two styles of QB play and only highlight injuries to one style and completely ignore injuries that happen to the other style. It's even more strange when one player who has only suffered 3 notable, yet minor injuries through 7 years( 4 college, 3 pro) is somehow the poster child for why his play style is too risky. 

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Hurts is a god. We mere mortals aren’t worthy to wash to his feet. A human being has never existed that is as good as Hurts. He’s made of pure steel, can’t be injured by regular humans. Can leap over entire defenses without taking contact. Can run backwards to his own end zone, turn around and throw the ball 100 yards, run all the way down the field and catch his own pass. He doesn’t need any teammates or coaches because one Hurts is better than 50 men combined. 

When he farts he releases puffs of gold dust, which the poor masses collect to end their starvation. When Hurts pees, it’s pure, unspoiled water that the poor can drink to quench their thirst. When he speaks, he can heat a home in the dead of winter, or cool it down in the dog days of summer. Much like William Wallace, in times of danger he can shoot thunder bolts from his arse.

Just looking at Lord Jalen is enough to cure any incurable disease. Having him touch a woman will instantly get her pregnant. 

The only thing he couldn’t do was win a Super Bowl, but that’s ok because that’s not Lord Jalen’s plan. The Super Bowl doesn’t even mean that much anyway. If it did Lord Jalen would have figured out how to win it.

Lord Jalen is so tough, even Chuck Norris is afraid of him. The Philadelphia police were all fired because when Lord Jalen walks around, crime instantly vanishes. 

I think I covered it all, right guys? Close the thread down, nothing left to discuss, unless it’s about how great our Lord and Saviour Jalen Hurts is. Criticism not allowed you blasphemers!

Nobody is saying that. You do have the victim mentality thing down though. Poor wittle you

2 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

Go find you a nice young lady and have a great night out on the town.  It's not that serious.

5 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

That was his rookie year. Since then, for the same time Hurts has been in the league, Hurts has been injured and missed more games than Allen

You remove any facts that hurt your argument, and cherry pick the ones that help your argument, then when posters counter with the full facts, you claim they're triggered by facts. 

:wacko:

With Minshew most likely gone and looking for a chance to become a starter, I wonder who the Eagles will turn to as their next QB2 option. Will they just go with Book since he’s been in the system? Will they draft a guy in the mid to late rounds? Will they sign a Tyrod Taylor type? (though a guy like a vet could cost too much) Do they make a Minshew like trade for a low cost cast off? 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

With Minshew most likely gone and looking for a chance to become a starter, I wonder who the Eagles will turn to as their next QB2 option. Will they just go with Book since he’s been in the system? Will they draft a guy in the mid to late rounds? Will they sign a Tyrod Taylor type? (though a guy like a vet could cost too much) Do they make a Minshew like trade for a low cost cast off? 

I'm not sure what the market will be like for Gardner. I think coming up on 27 years old and his 5th season, most teams view him as a career backup. Nobody will sign him as a frontrunner for a QB1 job and teams that have no legit QB1 will probably draft a prospect early if they don't acquire a legit one in free agency or trade (then you have the Jaguar situation all over when they drafted Lawrence). That means Minshew's only real path to starting is to take over as an injury replacement and impress. For those reasons, I can see him sticking around here on a short-term, low-end QB2 contract. I know he wants to start, but so does Garoppolo, Lance, and Purdy --- i.e. there are more applicants than jobs. 

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not sure what the market will be like for Gardner. I think coming up on 27 years old and his 5th season, most teams view him as a career backup. Nobody will sign him as a frontrunner for a QB1 job and teams that have no legit QB1 will probably draft a prospect early if they don't acquire a legit one in free agency or trade (then you have the Jaguar situation all over when they drafted Lawrence). That means Minshew's only real path to starting is to take over as an injury replacement and impress. For those reasons, I can see him sticking around here on a short-term, low-end QB2 contract. I know he wants to start, but so does Garoppolo, Lance, and Purdy --- i.e. there are more applicants than jobs. 

I wonder if the Eagles even want him back or even can afford him. He’s in line for a pay raise just like Hurts (certainly not to that level though) and I don’t think he quite fits their system. I think Minshew wants an opportunity to start and there are several shaky starters in the league he could backup and possibly overtake. He’s also a cheaper option than someone like Jimmy G. Overall I think there is a mutual viewpoint of the Eagles and Minshew to want to part ways. The Eagles offense doesn’t fit Minshew who probably would be better suited for a more traditional WCO style. There are also several teams out there with more cap-space than the Eagles who could afford to pay him more. I just doubt Minshew will be back to Philly. Howie is going to need to be more creative with picking a backup especially with so many free agents, and the eventually signing of Hurts. 

So the unwashed masses of morons keep saying Mahomes took less in KC.

That's complete and total BS. Mahomes set the bar further than almost any QB in NFL history.

Feel free to check my work.  I did not dig very deep before 2019.

2015          Cam        20.76 per
  2015          Eli            21 per
  2016          Brees      24.25 per
  2017          Stafford    27 per
  2017          Jimmy G   27.5 per

2018          Rodgers 33.5 per  (21.8% increase on Jimmy G)  (might be missing one contract between these 2?)
Apr 16, 2019    Wilson 35 per  (4.5% increase on Rodgers)
Jun 6, 2019     wentz 32 per (discount)
Sep 3, 2019     Goff  33.5 per (discount)
Mar 16, 2020    Cousins  33 per (discount)
July 7, 2020    Mahomes 45 per  (28.6% increase to highest previous QB salary of (35 Wilson))
Sep 5, 2020     Watson 40 per  (discount)
Mar 8, 2021     Dak 40 per  (discount)
Aug 6, 2021     Allen  43 per (discount)
Mar 15, 2022    Rodgers 50.27 per  (11.7% raise on Mahomes 45)
Mar 19, 2022    Stafford 40 per (discount)
Mar 30th, 2022  Watson 46 per (discount)
July 21, 2022   Murray 46.1 per (discount)
Sep 1, 2022     Wilson 49 per (discount)

So the idea of all QBs pushing the salary ceiling has not actually been the case. Since 2018 Its only been Rodgers, Wilson, and Mahomes doing that.

Its fun to hate Watson but he was in a unique position of a bidding war and he only pushed the non-Rodgers ceiling by 1 million

Not that any agent would ignore Rodgers' contract anyway.

Watson's full guarantee deal was the 2nd after Cousins in 2018. It only changed the rules inside Lamar's head.

Take care of Hurts but signing him early (4 years instead of 5) I really hope he takes a team friendly contract so we can build a great team for years to come 

invest the money, endorsements ect to make up the difference 

He says all the right things, and this sport is getting tiresome with players taking owners to the woodshed with greed for the money. There hasn’t been a player who truly values the game and winning championships over money in a long time. 

Regardless Hurts is a great player, a great leader, and a great inspiration to the kids watching todays game. Thankful he’s our QB 

On 2/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, Diehardfan said:

Not worrying, but my hope is he doesn't go for the max $52/54 million. You are right the cap will keep climbing, but every bit will be important to keep them competitive.

Now, the market as a whole is going to have to level off at some point, but that's another discussion because if you look where Wentz was five years ago to where it will be when JB and JH sign it's not sustainable. I'm guessing they will get $53/54 a  year, but I could be wrong. Five years from now I can't see how a team could pay a QB 60-70 million.

Then again Mbappe is going to make like $110 million a year in soccer. I don't see how the NFL can sustain that though since it's mostly a US sport.

What can teams/GMs do? Say no to players once in a while, especially if they're not worth what they want.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:56 PM, RememberTheKoy said:

He could get $53/$54M and then it jumps up to $60M a week or month later with the Burrow contract. It will keep going up and up like it always does.  Makes it all the more important to get it done first now otherwise you find yourself with a Dak situation where the Cowboys kept kicking the can down the road and paid him $10M more than they could have if they just signed him around the same time Goff and Wentz got their deals. 

Cowboys shouldn't have paid Dak, especially after losing that game in 2019. I said that before he got paid. Joneses didn't even want to pay him. Paying a QB big money makes it harder to win if that QB isn't great. If I was them, I would have drafted Hurts (and still tag Dak) in 2020 in 2nd round. After Dak has injury, see how Hurts does. If he plays great, let Dak walk after 2020; if not, Dak starts 2021 and let Dak walk after 2021. Or I would have drafted Justin Fields in 2021 and have him start in 2022.

1 hour ago, gameshowfan91 said:

What can teams/GMs do? Say no to players once in a while, especially if they're not worth what they want.

Cowboys shouldn't have paid Dak, especially after losing that game in 2019. I said that before he got paid. Joneses didn't even want to pay him. Paying a QB big money makes it harder to win if that QB isn't great. If I was them, I would have drafted Hurts (and still tag Dak) in 2020 in 2nd round. After Dak has injury, see how Hurts does. If he plays great, let Dak walk after 2020; if not, Dak starts 2021 and let Dak walk after 2021. Or I would have drafted Justin Fields in 2021 and have him start in 2022.

The problem with this mindset can lead teams into how things ended with both of our NFC East Counterparts. You could end up like Dallas who waited and waited until they had to overpay for a quarterback who isn’t as good as his contract or you end up like Washington who kept stringing along Cousins to the point where they haven’t been able to fill the position. Say what you want about Cousins, he’s way better than any player they have put there since they let him walk. This is why the Eagles are making this thing a priority, because they know the sooner it gets done the less it will economically benefit them in the long run (it’s why they signed Wentz earlier too) while the longer they wait the more it will upscale. Ultimately people will probably complain about the Hurts deal and how much it will cost until they see how much the guys behind him will make. This is the economics of football and dealing with a quarterback. 

New to the topic but anyone who doesn’t think Hurts is one of the top 3-5 QBs in the league are smoking something. His work ethic, leadership, entangibles are second to none.

He outplayed Mahomes in that Super Bowl in a game where he didn’t have the run game or defense to help him out… he literally put the team on his back and carried us to a near victory and left the field after tieing the game. It was the Kansas City Chiefs 38 and Jalen Hurts 35. 

maybe hurts isn’t the natural thrower or player that some of the top QBs are but the speaks to all the work he does behind the scenes to make up for it and to cover that gap. Also…. When I think of the Chiefs and some of these other teams I think of it being the head coaches team. Even the chiefs is ANDY REIDS team. The exception is Dallas where it’s Jerry Jones team. But this team?  It’s Jalens team. Need no other example than hurts putting Sirianis arm down when he was taunting the chiefs. 

i wanted hurts off the team after 2021. But he made me eat crow. I couldn’t be more proud to have him as my QB.

7 minutes ago, EaglesNation said:

New to the topic but anyone who doesn’t think Hurts is one of the top 3-5 QBs in the league are smoking something. His work ethic, leadership, entangibles are second to none.

He outplayed Mahomes in that Super Bowl in a game where he didn’t have the run game or defense to help him out… he literally put the team on his back and carried us to a near victory and left the field after tieing the game. It was the Kansas City Chiefs 38 and Jalen Hurts 35. 

maybe hurts isn’t the natural thrower or player that some of the top QBs are but the speaks to all the work he does behind the scenes to make up for it and to cover that gap. Also…. When I think of the Chiefs and some of these other teams I think of it being the head coaches team. Even the chiefs is ANDY REIDS team. The exception is Dallas where it’s Jerry Jones team. But this team?  It’s Jalens team. Need no other example than hurts putting Sirianis arm down when he was taunting the chiefs. 

i wanted hurts off the team after 2021. But he made me eat crow. I couldn’t be more proud to have him as my QB.

I think the majority of the people have similar views on Hurts as your current one. He’s definitely won over the team, the city, and the NFL. Unfortunately there are those stragglers in all those groups who are holding out, and there are those who don’t like the idea of paying big money to a quarterback. I actually am part of that group, but I also understand this is the price of doing business in the NFL with quarterbacks. Hurts deserves his money. He’s earned it for his work on and off the field. All we can and should be doing now is rooting for a guy who has already taken his team to the SB and has been an MVP runner up (at the age of 24) to stay consistent and dare I say get even better. 

21 hours ago, SkippyX said:

This is "greatness?" Costing your team a Superbowl?

The farts you are smelling are your own, that you smell under your bed covers. 🤣

-------------

Game Over.jpg

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

This is "greatness?" Costing your team a Superbowl?

It sounds like you've switched teams. I hope you find all you're looking for out there.

Archived