DCU Thread

BFit

6 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-reveals-that-warner-bros-made-her-change-the-movies-ending

Can't believe they made her change the ending after the whole Justice League mess. Figured they'd let her do whatever she wanted after the success of the first Wonder Woman

She's saying they made her change the first movies ending, not this one

WW84 is one of the most disappointing parts of 2020.

80’s action movie sequels had better plots and character development. The screenplay is shockingly bad.

The movie is loaded with good actors. Kristen Wiig was actually much better than I thought she’d be in her role. The material is just awful.

28 minutes ago, BFit said:

She's saying they made her change the first movies ending, not this one

Lol just noticed that.

I watched it the other night.  I wouldn't watch it again.  The best parts of the movie for me were how beautiful Gal Gadot is and the post credit twist scene.  The ending was a disappointment and the story was a bit over the top in sloppy way like it was written by soap opera writers.  The antagonists were basically meh.  The first one was much better. 

Best box office during the COVID era, HBO Max says half its subscribers watched on Christmas Day but there are no clear numbers (Disney doesn't release numbers either like with Mulan).

Interesting note here, film directors don't want their movies streamed they want them in theaters.  Director Patty Jenkins said she would not direct a 3rd movie unless it's guaranteed to only be released in theaters exclusively.  Warner Bros agreed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/28/wonder-woman-1984-streaming-vs-theatrical-release-gets-first-big-test.html

I mean, that was just brutally awful. I know we all had to act like the first one was great for PC reasons even though it was mediocre, but can we at least call this out for being horrific?

Flew a WW1 era plane? You can definitely just jump in a fighter jet cockpit and take off...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Best box office during the COVID era, HBO Max says half its subscribers watched on Christmas Day but there are no clear numbers (Disney doesn't release numbers either like with Mulan).

Interesting note here, film directors don't want their movies streamed they want them in theaters.  Director Patty Jenkins said she would not direct a 3rd movie unless it's guaranteed to only be released in theaters exclusively.  Warner Bros agreed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/28/wonder-woman-1984-streaming-vs-theatrical-release-gets-first-big-test.html

Is it an ego thing or they get a cut of the profits? F theaters and their dumb Fing 1200% up charge on popcorn 

4 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Is it an ego thing or they get a cut of the profits? F theaters and their dumb Fing 1200% up charge on popcorn 

it's their profits to which i'll bring up napster and musicians.....put out a quality album and i'll be first in  line. years of **** movies has turned a lot of us off. and where was this outcry when unlimited movie passes were attempted. f them. 

34 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

it's their profits to which i'll bring up napster and musicians.....put out a quality album and i'll be first in  line. years of **** movies has turned a lot of us off. and where was this outcry when unlimited movie passes were attempted. f them. 

Re mixes or sequels over and over again, yet the public eats it up over and over again. 

Studios will make whatever makes money...and they do make rom-coms, indie character driven stories, all sorts of stuff.  So there are options available to the public, but money talks and the big budget popcorn special effects stuff makes the most money.  If it lost them money, they'd stop making them and move on to whatever else is making money.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Theaters basically make their money (from what I understand) from concession sales.  That's why they cost so much.  They want movies put in their theaters to get people to come, and hope they will buy snacks.  I'm not sure if they get any small cut of ticket sales.

Even before COVID and streaming, theater sales at one point several years ago were down.  There was lots of talk about people not liking the theater experience with people talking, on their cell phones, kids screaming, etc plus the high price of concessions.  Movies were coming out on DVD and then blu-ray in shorter times.  It used to be like 4-6 months on VHS and the early days of DVDs.  But once that got shorter, people could wait to watch it at home on their big screen and not have to get a babysitter, pay for overpriced snacks, and not deal with other people.

Theaters will get a boom when COVID is over as people will want to go out and do all sorts of things like movies, concerts, travel, etc.  But the last year has shown the convenience of home movies and that people will pay to view a movie at home the same day as theater release.  I wouldn't be surprised if the hybrid model were here to stay.

9 hours ago, vikas83 said:

I mean, that was just brutally awful. I know we all had to act like the first one was great for PC reasons even though it was mediocre, but can we at least call this out for being horrific?

Flew a WW1 era plane? You can definitely just jump in a fighter jet cockpit and take off...

The first one was great. One of the best comic book movies. Hate on this sequel all you want but that first one was amazing

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

The first one was great. One of the best comic book movies. Hate on this sequel all you want but that first one was amazing

9th RULE OF SUPER HERO MOVIES.....a supervillain CANNOT have a mustache (unless it is part of a full beard) during a climatic battle with the Hero UNLESS it is for comedic  purposes. 

Only concession worth buying is popcorn. Movie Theatre popcorn is indisputably better than any other type of popcorn. I'll gladly pay $12 for 3 days worth of calories in the form of delicious buttery salty popped kernels.

3 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

9th RULE OF SUPER HERO MOVIES.....a supervillain CANNOT have a mustache (unless it is part of a full beard) during a climatic battle with the Hero UNLESS it is for comedic  purposes. 

:thumbdown:

16 hours ago, c_u_in_tampa said:

so josh, its weird to you that something impossible happened in a super hero movie ? wow, that's earth shattering stuff, bud. 

seriously though, this movie failed to live up to the greatness of the original. 

29 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

:thumbdown:

so once seeing this, you could go back to any moment in the movie and take it seriously.

ares3.jpg

as marvel proved decades ago...
7885908183c20bb8349352bdc8e5c6e4.jpg

13 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

The first movie was mediocre at best. It was a crappier version of the first Captain America movie. We all just had to act like it was awesome in order to not upset our wives.

The Dark Knight was a great comic book movie. Spiderman 2. Infinity War. Wonder Woman was meh. It would be a below average Marvel movie.

25 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

The first movie was mediocre at best. It was a crappier version of the first Captain America movie. We all just had to act like it was awesome in order to not upset our wives.

The Dark Knight was a great comic book movie. Spiderman 2. Infinity War. Wonder Woman was meh. It would be a below average Marvel movie.

maybe you had to act that way to appease your wife, but many actually thought it was a real good movie. also, any DC movie is below average compared to marvel. that's not news. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

maybe you had to act that way to appease your wife, but many actually thought it was a real good movie. also, any DC movie is below average compared to marvel. that's not news. 

You need to carve the Dark Knight trilogy out of that. Since Nolan left the directors' chair, DC has been garbage. Which is brutal because Batman and Superman were my favorite superheroes as a kid. But all of the following movies were either mediocre or just terrible: Wonder Woman (mediocre), Aquaman (medicore), Batman vs. Superman (less than mediocre), WW84 (awful), Justice League (god awful). Man of Steel was somehow the best of the bunch at "watchable."

I will watch the Snyder cut of Justice League and likely be disappointed again. 

2 hours ago, vikas83 said:

I think it's hard to compare individual movies between the 2 groups considering how DRAMATICALLY better Marvel set everything up.  I'm much more invested in a mediocre Marvel movie than a mediocre DC movie because I have some background and interest with the characters, whereas I couldn't give 2 craps about pretty much any character in the current DCU (looking at you Cyborg).

I think the first WW was pretty good.  Not great but good.  Somewhere around Dr Strange level good which would be kinda "meh " for Marvel

The second one was hot garbage.  

10 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

You need to carve the Dark Knight trilogy out of that. Since Nolan left the directors' chair, DC has been garbage. Which is brutal because Batman and Superman were my favorite superheroes as a kid. But all of the following movies were either mediocre or just terrible: Wonder Woman (mediocre), Aquaman (medicore), Batman vs. Superman (less than mediocre), WW84 (awful), Justice League (god awful). Man of Steel was somehow the best of the bunch at "watchable."

I will watch the Snyder cut of Justice League and likely be disappointed again. 

well yeah, i figured that was assumed, but i should've made it clear. 

• Like 1