DCU Thread

BFit

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

This. They're desperate for it to be not just good, but great. I see the DC fanboys on every MCU social media post trashing it. Same with Marvel fans who can't like anything DC.

Bill was accurate: the Whedon version was an F, this was a C.

My one friend is ridiculous like that. Anything they put out marvel or star wars is the greatest movie he has ever seen. As soon as I say even one part of any of those movies didn't make sense or was horrible he gets all kinds of pissed off. A DC movie actually gets great reviews and he says who cares it will never be as good as marvel or I'm not watching that I doubt it's that good. 

He is thee worst kind of person to discuss movies with. Lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

This. Its hard to add 3 or 4 "superstar" superheros and villians at once and expect their characters can be developed over the course of one film. It becomes a huge cluster-f.

Just need to make the movie 6hrs problem solved!

• Haha 1

There was a lot lot lot bad. Almost no good. Then you have things like the cyborg football scene, where I'm pretty sure 100% of Zack Snyder's experience watching football in his life is Under Armour commercials :lol: Like has a scene ever been more inspired by an athletic wear commercial than than one from this film?!? :roll:

• Haha 2

Sad thing is I like DCs characters and stories better than Marvels. They are more "epic" and fantastical, which should make for awesome action movies. They just drop the ball too often and their connected universe is all over the place.

DC made the mistake of trying to play catch-up with Marvel and rushed instead of just focusing on doing their own thing right in whatever time frame that would have taken.  There was really no need to try and keep up with Marvel as there's more than enough fans that would have come out for the individual hero films.  And those without a side who enjoy both DC and Marvel would have enjoyed a whole other build up of another group of superheroes leading to a the big team up film.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

One of the glaring problems is outside of Nolan, the Russo brothers, Favreau, and Waititi, there is a distinct lack of talent when it comes to comic movie directors. TBH I think the Apes dude is going to murder it with "The Batman”, but outside of that there is nothing. The studios, WB in particular, need to find damn good directors if they want to make bank. People will show up for a good movie. 

Also, it’s painfully obvious how much Whedon reshot this movie, and even more painful how he could take a C movie and somehow make it worse. I don’t understand how he gets work. Looking at the differences if I was an exec that hired him to do reshoots and then saw what he came up with I’d be furious. WB should have listened to Nolan and only done solo movies and no team ups. The only thing I can give Snyder an A+ grade on is casting. Dude nailed that. Outside of that no. The BvS and JL fiascos robbed us of an Affleck directed Batman, which IMO would have been dope. FWIW I actually liked Affleck as Batman. It’s a shame he didn’t have a director worth a damn. 

Agree on most points.  I didn't like the Flash or Cyborg casting, Flash was ok but maybe how they used him idk.  Was he always a wimpy scared nerd cracking jokes constantly in the comics?

Whedon did a great job with the Avengers.  This was odd.  Seeing the 4 hour version I can see how it would be tough to make it into one 2 hour movie.  But his version also had bad CGI and colors, at least the Snyder cut looked a LOT better.

They were too rushed to try and catch up to Marvel.  They should have either waited for Snyder to finish or get someone who shared the vision to carry it out to a 2 part movie.  Mismanaged all around really.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To successfully do the team up movies I think you've got to be very patient and very clever. We have to love the characters or have some kind of connection with them. We don't have that in the DCEU.

I don't think they needed solo movies first per se.  The MCU had their lesser known characters to a broader fanbase so they did world building.  How do you explain Thor and Captain America if all they did was Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk then The Avengers?

DC already had plenty of Batman, Superman and WW and Flash are well known enough.  They had Man of Steel.  BvS built on that with Batman fearing what could happen with beings from another planet with powers.  WW joined BvS and despite not having a solo movie, she was introduced in that movie and it was ok.  Everyone knows "the big 3."  People also generally know the Flash character and don't need "backstory."  What is there to know? He is a teen who got powers and is fast.  Cyborg and the new version of Aquaman were the ones that really got introduced in Justice League and actually it was fine.  

Bruce on a mission to add to the team when he's already got WW is all you need for a good movie.  First 1/3 sets up the pending threat and Bruce recruiting.  

The problems were with the writing and directing.  Better writer and director would execute that much better.  The Snyder cut was better than the original version for sure, but even so it wasn't as good as it should have been.  

This was the first time I was glad I actually watched a DC movie, aside from the animated movies, which I like far more than the live action ones.

The theatrical cut was unwatchable.  This was an big upgrade but I agree people are going over the top with unjustified effusive praise.  

I also saw people annoyed about the aspect ratio, which I don't get.  If Snyder wanted it 4:3, so be it.  It doesn't detract from the movie in any meaningful way.  I'm not sure it adds much to it either but it seems like it's getting a lot of attention just because it is different that the current trend of wide screen more so than the actual impact on the film itself.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Agree on most points.  I didn't like the Flash or Cyborg casting, Flash was ok but maybe how they used him idk.  Was he always a wimpy scared nerd cracking jokes constantly in the comics?

Whedon did a great job with the Avengers.  This was odd.  Seeing the 4 hour version I can see how it would be tough to make it into one 2 hour movie.  But his version also had bad CGI and colors, at least the Snyder cut looked a LOT better.

They were too rushed to try and catch up to Marvel.  They should have either waited for Snyder to finish or get someone who shared the vision to carry it out to a 2 part movie.  Mismanaged all around really.

Honestly I thought avengers and AoU were trash. Felt like I was watching an ABC production of the Avengers. The best Marvel movies were Iron Man, Ragnarok, IW, Endgame, and the last two Captain America movies. Never liked Whedon. 

1 hour ago, Shepard Wong said:

This was the first time I was glad I actually watched a DC movie, aside from the animated movies, which I like far more than the live action ones.

The theatrical cut was unwatchable.  This was an big upgrade but I agree people are going over the top with unjustified effusive praise.  

I also saw people annoyed about the aspect ratio, which I don't get.  If Snyder wanted it 4:3, so be it.  It doesn't detract from the movie in any meaningful way.  I'm not sure it adds much to it either but it seems like it's getting a lot of attention just because it is different that the current trend of wide screen more so than the actual impact on the film itself.  

He wanted 4:3 for imax because of how vertical it is and how the heroes are viewed as vertical and godlike. That said, he didn’t include enough shots of the heroes being vertical to put the aspect ratio to use. 

honestly what should have happened is after MoS, Affleck got a solo Batman movie with a death in the family plot line to show Batman being emotionally broken, which would have set up BvS nicely. Change the BvS plot to make it a Superman movie with Batman as the villain, and have Batman’s redemption without Supes dying. Use the first WW movie to introduce the mother boxes (Diana vs NSDAPs in a struggle for the human controlled motherbox). Give flash and aquaman a solo movie, explain the motherboxes more in aquaman. Give cyborg a movie, but make an ensemble teen Titans, explain the mother boxes more. Another solo Batman movie. And another solo Supes movie where he dies. 

then boom JL movie.

• Like 2

It was significantly better than the crap show they released in theaters, but that's sort of like being valedictorian of summer school. Call it a B-. 

Among DC films, it's better than everything other than Man of Steel, basically on the same level as Wonder Woman. If it were a Marvel movie, it would be below average but better than the terrible ones (Age of Ultron, Thor 2, Iron Man 3).

Now that, that was the movie I wanted to see in 2017! The only bad part of this movie is Snyder won't get to finish out his trilogy, and that's a travesty.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:46 PM, Agent23 said:

Who was the dude that caught Darkseid with the axe?

Pretty sure that was Aries

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Boogyman said:

This. Its hard to add 3 or 4 "superstar" superheros and villians at once and expect their characters can be developed over the course of one film. It becomes a huge cluster-f.

Absolutely. You've got to let them develop over time. I mean look the MCU haven't hit on every film. Iron Man 2 wasn't great, nor was IM3. Thor 1 was decent but Thor 2 was awful. But all those films played a part in the overall product and led us to IW and Endgame. 

18 hours ago, NOTW said:

DC already had plenty of Batman, Superman and WW and Flash are well known enough.  They had Man of Steel.  BvS built on that with Batman fearing what could happen with beings from another planet with powers.  WW joined BvS and despite not having a solo movie, she was introduced in that movie and it was ok.  Everyone knows "the big 3."  People also generally know the Flash character and don't need "backstory."  What is there to know? He is a teen who got powers and is fast.  Cyborg and the new version of Aquaman were the ones that really got introduced in Justice League and actually it was fine.  

But it isn't about the characters to me. It's about the guys playing those characters. I really like the Flash TV series and find the character really interesting. But the Flash cast in the movies I don't like. I wasn't sure about Affleck as Batman and I don't think Jason Mamoa did anything for Aquaman. 

13 hours ago, vikas83 said:

It was significantly better than the crap show they released in theaters, but that's sort of like being valedictorian of summer school. Call it a B-. 

Among DC films, it's better than everything other than Man of Steel, basically on the same level as Wonder Woman. If it were a Marvel movie, it would be below average but better than the terrible ones (Age of Ultron, Thor 2, Iron Man 3).

Agreed . MoS was the best by far. The rest were average at best.

23 hours ago, NOTW said:

I don't think they needed solo movies first per se.  The MCU had their lesser known characters to a broader fanbase so they did world building.  How do you explain Thor and Captain America if all they did was Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk then The Avengers?

Bruce on a mission to add to the team when he's already got WW is all you need for a good movie.  First 1/3 sets up the pending threat and Bruce recruiting.  

The problems were with the writing and directing.  Better writer and director would execute that much better.  The Snyder cut was better than the original version for sure, but even so it wasn't as good as it should have been.  

Nope!! Watched the first couple hours again. Freaking flash goes to save that girl and grabs a freaking hot dog and puts it in his pocket while saving the girl the corniest stupid sheet ever. 

• Like 1

I think that Affleck came in with Leto to do the extra footage, because Joker wasn’t supposed to be in the movie. 

One thing I think would be amazing is an Affleck directed Batman series on HBO Max. Just do 8-10 episode seasons to tell a tight story.  He was the best part of BvS, and it was because he did the writing for Batman. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I think that Affleck came in with Leto to do the extra footage, because Joker wasn’t supposed to be in the movie. 

One thing I think would be amazing is an Affleck directed Batman series on HBO Max. Just do 8-10 episode seasons to tell a tight story.  He was the best part of BvS, and it was because he did the writing for Batman. 

Unfortunately he dropped out of the batman character because it stressed him out and he didn't want to have a relapse

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Unfortunately he dropped out of the batman character because it stressed him out and he didn't want to have a relapse

The Batman character didn’t. The studio meddling did. 

Just now, Bill said:

The Batman character didn’t. The studio meddling did. 

Well yeah it stressed ben out and he didn't want to relapse

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Nope!! Watched the first couple hours again. Freaking flash goes to save that girl and grabs a freaking hot dog and puts it in his pocket while saving the girl the corniest stupid sheet ever. 

Right. He had time to do that, and to stare at her but no time to open the door.  He HAD to point his finger through to break the glass because...Snyder wanted a cool looking scene, despite it going against his (apparent) strategy to not be noticed and leave any evidence that he did anything.

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Right. He had time to do that, and to stare at her but no time to open the door.  He HAD to point his finger through to break the glass because...Snyder wanted a cool looking scene, despite it going against his (apparent) strategy to not be noticed and leave any evidence that he did anything.

I just can't man

This is the video I referenced the other day.  It was made about Batman v Superman.

Snyder tries too hard to force you to feel awe but the characters are flat and you don't care what happens to them, there isn't good chemistry between them and they are just pawns for slow mo scenes ("moments" as the video describes).

It works in a movie like Sucker Punch where the story and character development don't matter and are barely there.  That whole movies is just so Snyder can have dream sequences with crazy images that look cool.  300 worked because it was a unique visual style and kept to a basic story.

Man of Steel was pretty good and he had 1 hero and 1 villain to deal with. BvS and JL were too big for him, and you need story and characters not just slow mo visuals and a 100 song soundtrack.  

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

This is the video I referenced the other day.  It was made about Batman v Superman.

Snyder tries too hard to force you to feel awe but the characters are flat and you don't care what happens to them, there isn't good chemistry between them and they are just pawns for slow mo scenes ("moments" as the video describes).

It works in a movie like Sucker Punch where the story and character development don't matter and are barely there.  That whole movies is just so Snyder can have dream sequences with crazy images that look cool.  300 worked because it was a unique visual style and kept to a basic story.

Man of Steel was pretty good and he had 1 hero and 1 villain to deal with. BvS and JL were too big for him, and you need story and characters not just slow mo visuals and a 100 song soundtrack.  

Ok new problem why the F was this version of of jared leto's joker not in the suicide squad?? Unless I'm seeing something else it's not the same this version now actually good

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I just can't man

Don't forget:  he shredded his SHOES and went out barefoot.  That didn't happen in the liquor store scene from BvS.  Does he destroy his shoes all the time?  Does he carry a backup pair?  :lol:

Somehow he had the money and resources to make a costume that didn't get damaged when he did this, despite needing money so bad he was going to a pet shop for work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Don't forget:  he shredded his SHOES and went out barefoot.  That didn't happen in the liquor store scene from BvS.  Does he destroy his shoes all the time?  Does he carry a backup pair?  :lol:

Somehow he had the money and resources to make a costume that didn't get damaged when he did this, despite needing money so bad he was going to a pet shop for work.

Need joker explanation now! Lol