Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

7 hours ago, judunno said:

Kelce said they're not in sync I believe Kelce. All you have to do is watch some of the All-22 and see that the OL has been tripping all over themselves and missing critical blocks. Physical backs also get blown up in the backfield. The Eagles do it all the time to opponents. We saw Brown literally knock his own guy out on his feet. That's not a physicality thing. That's an execution thing. They were closing out games fine before Cam went down and things got out of wack.

Question for you. 

2nd and 3 to close out a game, considering both have the same OL playing well or not, what would you rather have for 2 downs to get the 1st, a finesse runner or a downhill physical runner?

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Question for you. 

2nd and 3 to close out a game, considering both have the same OL playing well or not, what would you rather have for 2 downs to get the 1st, a finesse runner or a downhill physical runner?

Doesn't matter if the OL is missing blocks and assignments. Only need 2 yards and a tush push.

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I agree there are time when Johnson’s offense has also left me scratching my head. I don’t really know what the plan was on that play. There was another play earlier too when Hurts and Swift did not have a smooth transition with the ball. It looked like Hurts wanted to keep it, but Swift didn’t let the ball go and he pulled Jalen with him a little. I’m not sure how much of this is poor execution by the players, miscommunication with the players, or just bad play calling as a whole. I can’t stand that stupid empty back Hurts run they like to do. Retire that play immediately. Still Johnson is in his first year as an OC and he’s calling the plays. That’s big and in todays NFL it isn’t normal. We have seen it take some time for the OC to really find his flow. He’s also trying to understand his players especially with so many changing parts. On top of this his quarterback has lost a major part of his game. I don’t know how many veteran coordinators would be flawless with this situation. 

I think overall I’m encouraged though. He’s in his first year as an OC and he’s the OC of a top 5 offense in the league. He’s not been perfect but he’s improved as the year has progressed and that’s really good to see. There’s still work to be done and he still has a way to go but overall I think it’s been a good start.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think overall I’m encouraged though. He’s in his first year as an OC and he’s the OC of a top 5 offense in the league. He’s not been perfect but he’s improved as the year has progressed and that’s really good to see. There’s still work to be done and he still has a way to go but overall I think it’s been a good start.

You could definitely say this about both coordinators and other parts of the squad overall. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The offense seems to be top 5 in spite  of him. Bad move to insert a 1st year OC onto a team with  Super bowl aspirations. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swimm said:

The offense seems to be top 5 in spite  of him. Bad move to insert a 1st year OC onto a team with  Super bowl aspirations. 

But I think he’s getting better as the year goes by. It wasn’t all success for Steichen at first.

7 hours ago, Swimm said:

Ok so please provide us with some other OCs that could have been hired?

7 hours ago, LacesOut said:

I will say that there could be some more originality and creativity with this Teams Offensive play designs. 

I agree with you. I’d like to see a little more creativity there. You see some offenses get creative to scheme guys open. Teams get a lot of easy yards sometimes and it just feels like we never do that. And it’s great that our offense can function at such a high level but it would be nice sometimes to get some easy yards.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

How many called runs for Hurts will we see on MNF? 

I hope none....other than 4th and 1. I suppose that's too much to ask from BJ though.  Probably depends more on Hurts' knee than anything else. 

• Like 1

BJ is frustrating as heck to watch call plays. The middle screen to swift was great. I haven’t seen that play all year. The jet seeep by Swift was great. They did it with Boston Scott as the rb and swift lined up wide. 

but OMG, it’s like he can’t help himself with these dumb Dumb DUMB play calls. 

- he tries a stupid wr screen that almost got Smitty killed. 
- IMMEDIATELY tried it on the opposite side on the next play. 
- 3rd and long? Qb draw!! 😡😡

- wr screen to Julio jones?! What?!

- 3rd and 1. Doesn’t call the Brotherly Shove. Calls some weird, slow developing draw play to swift in a compact formation that loses 3 yards so they can’t even go for it on 4th down. 
- I don’t know how the chiefs didn’t play the qb draw that hurts ran for a td properly.  I saw it coming a mile away. Johnson can’t help himself with that play call. 
- the playcalling with the eagles up 21-17 and around 5 minutes left was just a bunch of junk. 

brian Johnson…… he may not be as bad as Jonathan Gannon because Johnson’s good play calls/designs are REALLY good. but his bad calls are doozies. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

BJ is frustrating as heck to watch call plays. The middle screen to swift was great. I haven’t seen that play all year. The jet seeep by Swift was great. They did it with Boston Scott as the rb and swift lined up wide. 

- 3rd and 1. Doesn’t call the Brotherly Shove. Calls some weird, slow developing draw play to swift in a compact formation that loses 3 yards so they can’t even go for it on 4th down. 
- I don’t know how the chiefs didn’t play the qb draw that hurts ran for a td properly.  I saw it coming a mile away. Johnson can’t help himself with that play call. 
- the playcalling with the eagles up 21-17 and around 5 minutes left was just a bunch of junk. 

brian Johnson…… he may not be as bad as Jonathan Gannon because Johnson’s good play calls/designs are REALLY good. but his bad calls are doozies. 

He is the worst OC since....hell if I know. Decades. They need to bring in a consultant like last year.

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

He is the worst OC since....hell if I know. Decades. They need to bring in a consultant like last year.

I'm thinking Reich if he gets shitcanned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eagz said:

I'm thinking Reich if he gets shitcanned.

That’s one possibility and I’m seeing some posts on X where they’re clamoring for our OC to be his replacement. 🤣

• Haha 1

This dude is an issue.  He had two weeks to prepare and comes out like he did nothing for 2 weeks. You know what the Chiefs wanted to do and didn't make a game plan to attack an aggressive defense.

Also those WR screens were f'ing putrid. The defense ,literally knew where it was  going right after the snap cause Jalen is  Eyeing the WR down. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Swimm said:

This dude is an issue.  He had two weeks to prepare and comes out like he did nothing for 2 weeks. You know what the Chiefs wanted to do and didn't make a game plan to attack an aggressive defense.

Also those WR screens were f'ing putrid. The defense ,literally knew where it was  going right after the snap cause Jalen is  Eyeing the WR down. 

I feel like I have to repeat this every week. Siri designs the plays and installs for game week. Siri  makes a lot of decisions and calls game time. He's an offensive minded HC after all with his hands all over everything. Hurts checks to plays (ie the 40 yard bomb). For all we know it was his decision to go to the WR screens twice in a row when there were other options. For all we know he's the one making the calls for the QB draws based on pre-snap reads. We can't definitively say who's calling which play when.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:59 PM, LacesOut said:

I will say that there could be some more originality and creativity with this Teams Offensive play designs. 

I get what you’re saying and where you’re coming from but they struggle to execute basic fundamental plays. I’m not sure that more creative play design is the solution at this point. 

7 hours ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

How do you know it's not Siri or Hurts making the decisions on the plays that you're mentioning? Here's a hint... you don't. Siri designs the plays that you love and hate.

One thing that is glaringly obvious is they NEED to bring in a decent #2 tight end next season. When the line is struggling to stop the pass rush, a reliable tight end is a great safety valve to dump it off for a quick gain. Obviously they won’t likely have a backup that is just as good as Goedert,  but the Stoll/Calcaterra experiment needs to end. 

It’s about time to bring in that next tight end anyway. Goedert will be 29 at the end of the season, right around the same age Ertz was when they drafted Goedert.