Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

Johnson had an awful gameplan.  The Chiefs blitz as often as any team in the league.  The Eagles know this.  So surprise, surprise the Chiefs blitzed the hell out of the Eagles and Johnson had no clue what to do.  Finally in the second half they used the middle screen to Swift several times.  This is the offensive gameplan they came up with after a bye week?   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, judunno said:

How do you know it's not Siri or Hurts making the decisions on the plays that you're mentioning? Here's a hint... you don't. Siri designs the plays that you love and hate.

Oh please miss me with your "how do you know” BS. The wr screen to Smitty was a called play because Smitty went in motion and the ball was snapped as soon as he stopped. It was painfully obvious. the qb draw that was a td was painfully obvious as well BECAUSE THEY RUN IT ALMOST EVERYTIME THEYRE IN THAT SITUATION. Hurts audibles and changes routes with his hands more often than often than not and all you do is watch his hands and the play clock to know if he’s changing the play. 

and Brian Johnson is the OC. He’s designing the plays as well. Siri isn’t in a room by himself. But Siri isnt calling plays. That’s all on Johnson unless hurts decides to change it at the LOS. The 3rd and 1 play that looked like a slow draw RPO that brkmsn showed was a called play as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Holy Vagabond said:

Oh please miss me with your "how do you know” BS. The wr screen to Smitty was a called play because Smitty went in motion and the ball was snapped as soon as he stopped. It was painfully obvious. the qb draw that was a td was painfully obvious as well BECAUSE THEY RUN IT ALMOST EVERYTIME THEYRE IN THAT SITUATION. Hurts audibles and changes routes with his hands more often than often than not and all you do is watch his hands and the play clock to know if he’s changing the play. 

and Brian Johnson is the OC. He’s designing the plays as well. Siri isn’t in a room by himself. But Siri isnt calling plays. That’s all on Johnson unless hurts decides to change it at the LOS. The 3rd and 1 play that looked like a slow draw RPO that brkmsn showed was a called play as well. 

If you think Siri The Offensive minded HC that designs the plays for the installs, isn't in BJs ear during game day I don't know what to tell you. Off of every slip screen there are other options. Hurts makes decisions on where to go on pre-snap reads. The players have to execute as well. Guess who checked to the 40 yard bomb to Smitty. That would be Hurts. You don't know as a bystander with no input into the planning who's doing what when. I bet he checks to the QB draws as well based on his reads. It's not as cut and dry as you want to make it as far as accountability. It's shared across 3 people. And guess what... they shared that accountability all the way to 9-1. Does it make you mad?

15 minutes ago, Eagles1960 said:

Johnson had an awful gameplan.  The Chiefs blitz as often as any team in the league.  The Eagles know this.  So surprise, surprise the Chiefs blitzed the hell out of the Eagles and Johnson had no clue what to do.  Finally in the second half they used the middle screen to Swift several times.  This is the offensive gameplan they came up with after a bye week?   

Siri has heavy input into the game planning and play designs. He's said it himself. Down a TE. Getting two TEs banged up during the game. Struggling with blitz pick ups from a very good defense. On the road, in the rain. Still got the win.

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Blah blah blah

I gave Johnson credit for the plays he called and designed as well. Don’t be a ****. 

3 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

I gave Johnson credit for the plays he called and designed as well. Don’t be a ****. 

Don't get mad at me because you don't understand how a football team works when you have a offensive minded HC. There's a chain of command here that you're either not acknowledging, don't understand, or just want to complain like a bish and ignore. Maybe all of the above. Point is you have no clue exactly what plays Johnson called and designed. Only the people in the Eagles org does.

1 hour ago, judunno said:

How do you know it's not Siri or Hurts making the decisions on the plays that you're mentioning? Here's a hint... you don't. Siri designs the plays that you love and hate.

If it's an audible then I could see blaming Hurts for a decision.  I'm sure the offensive coaches design the plays collaboratively, but unless Siri is secretly calling situational plays during the game then these goofy calls are coming from BJ. 

1 hour ago, judunno said:

I feel like I have to repeat this every week. Siri designs the plays and installs for game week. Siri  makes a lot of decisions and calls game time. He's an offensive minded HC after all with his hands all over everything. Hurts checks to plays (ie the 40 yard bomb). For all we know it was his decision to go to the WR screens twice in a row when there were other options. For all we know he's the one making the calls for the QB draws based on pre-snap reads. We can't definitively say who's calling which play when.

But if he had a real OC he wouldn't need to be doing all that so much

10 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

But if he had a real OC he wouldn't need to be doing all that so much

He's on offensive minded HC. That's what they do even when they have an OC. Pretty sure he did it last year too.

Nick has said numerous times that he's involved with the game plan because it's a collaborative effort but Brian is the one that calls the plays. He has admitted to overruling Brian on certain plays. He said he overruled him recently on a questionable failed run

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

If it's an audible then I could see blaming Hurts for a decision.  I'm sure the offensive coaches design the plays collaboratively, but unless Siri is secretly calling situational plays during the game then these goofy calls are coming from BJ. 

Hurts blames no one nor should he. That's a B move. Lets not forget he has some power as well. I'm convinced that he calls his own number on some of these draws. Siri clearly is in BJs ear on the critical decisions and periods of the game. I always go back to the exec decisions made on going for it on 4th at their own 30. BJ isn't making those calls... no way. He's making a lot of calls by proxy since he holds the sheet.

14 minutes ago, judunno said:

He's on offensive minded HC. That's what they do even when they have an OC. Pretty sure he did it last year too.

That's true and a good point but last year they had sn OC who brought the best out of Hurts. Nick and BJ don't compliment Hurts together. BJ is the thing that changed and it's not good.

26 minutes ago, judunno said:

Hurts blames no one nor should he. That's a B move. Lets not forget he has some power as well. I'm convinced that he calls his own number on some of these draws. Siri clearly is in BJs ear on the critical decisions and periods of the game. I always go back to the exec decisions made on going for it on 4th at their own 30. BJ isn't making those calls... no way. He's making a lot of calls by proxy since he holds the sheet.

He may very well be, I hate the QB draws except for an occasional one where he is super careful.  I just don't think it's worth the risk when he has a bum knee and we have running backs that can run the ball.  Yes I'm sure that 4th on 30 was on Siri, which was buffoonery.  I know he makes the big calls like challenges, timeouts, what to do on 4th downs, etc but I'd like to know if BJ has full control over the regular plays.  Things like back to back WR laterals/screens, QB draws on 2nd and 22, calling pass plays toward the end with a lead when we just needed to run the clock out, etc.

9 hours ago, Eagz said:

I'm thinking Reich if he gets shitcanned.

Make it so!

BJ has not learned, adjusted and is mostly not very creative in play calling.  Siri takes responsibility as well, he needs to enforce change if it's not working.  Hurts often seems unsure or hesitant this year.  The talent they have, they should be scoring more points and not have such close games.  

Steichen would have this offense scoring more and being much more efficient.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

He may very well be, I hate the QB draws except for an occasional one where he is super careful.  I just don't think it's worth the risk when he has a bum knee and we have running backs that can run the ball.  Yes I'm sure that 4th on 30 was on Siri, which was buffoonery.  I know he makes the big calls like challenges, timeouts, what to do on 4th downs, etc but I'd like to know if BJ has full control over the regular plays.  Things like back to back WR laterals/screens, QB draws on 2nd and 22, calling pass plays toward the end with a lead when we just needed to run the clock out, etc.

Ask yourself this. If you're a offensive minded head coach with experience are you going to give up 100% control to a first year OC. That would be tremendously foolish IMO. Siri has his hands all in the plans, designs, and play calling and for good reason. His OC is inexperienced.

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

BJ has not learned, adjusted and is mostly not very creative in play calling.  Siri takes responsibility as well, he needs to enforce change if it's not working.  Hurts often seems unsure or hesitant this year.  The talent they have, they should be scoring more points and not have such close games.  

Accountability runs with Siri, Hurts, and BJ (and the rest of the team to execute). Siri designs the plays for the installs. Makes critical calls in critical moments. Hurts checks to calls. See post above.

2 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

That's true and a good point but last year they had sn OC who brought the best out of Hurts. Nick and BJ don't compliment Hurts together. BJ is the thing that changed and it's not good.

What year was that OC in? Was it his first year?

10 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The best thing we saw was a sweep with Swift and the screens with Swift in the middle of the field. The bomb to Smith to set up the TD was an audible by Hurts. 

4 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

The best thing we saw was a sweep with Swift and the screens with Swift in the middle of the field. The bomb to Smith to set up the TD was an audible by Hurts. 

We've been wanting more pass plays to Swift, he's good in space and with YAC.  I also want to see less RPO where Hurts is waiting too long and just hand it to Swift.  Less QB draws.  The WR screens don't work, but the occasional TE screen does with Goedert healthy, and screens and sweeps to Swift to utilize his quickness.  They should be marching down the field on teams.  The threat of downfield to Smitty and Brown keeps the defense honest and you take your shots as well.  Should be easier and Johnson can't figure it out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, judunno said:

Ask yourself this. If you're a offensive minded head coach with experience are you going to give up 100% control to a first year OC. That would be tremendously foolish IMO. Siri has his hands all in the plans, designs, and play calling and for good reason. His OC is inexperienced.

Then we have an even bigger problem if our "offensive minded" head coach is signing off on these ridiculous calls.  It would be less worrisome if it was just our inexperienced, first year OC getting thrown in the deep end and learning as he goes. 

• Like 1

Just now, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Then we have an even bigger problem if our "offensive minded" head coach is signing off on these ridiculous calls.  It would be less worrisome if it was just our inexperienced, first year OC getting thrown in the deep end and learning as he goes. 

Exactly!!!!!! But they're not going to throw the OC into the deep end in year 1. Not going to happen.

5 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

He's a good coach not a good coordinator. I'm curious if he really thought Johnson was the best fit or if his ego didn't want a more brilliant mind coming in where he couldn't have as much control. Sure, they wanted to make Hurts comfortable, but I wonder if there was more

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

He's a good coach not a good coordinator. I'm curious if he really thought Johnson was the best fit or if his ego didn't want a more brilliant mind coming in where he couldn't have as much control. Sure, they wanted to make Hurts comfortable, but I wonder if there was more

Shane had 1 year of experience as an OC before the Eagles hired him. We know the rest. This is Johnson's first full year as an OC period. Eagles FO decided to give him a shot. Siri probably played a role in that decision knowing that he was going to have to hold his hands a beat in year one.