GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Commanders, 10-29-23, 1PM EST

EagleJoe8

11 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

Which is why that L to the Jets is so painful.  I figure we will do well to go 4-2 over the next 6 games.

I think we'll be lucky to go 3-3, to be honest.  Every game this year there has been something that I just shake my head at.  They've been fortunate with their lesser competition.  Better teams will make them pay for their mistakes.

Dallas (twice) - Dak just seems to have our number...expecting at best a split

Chiefs - Reid seems to have our number as well...and Andy coming off a bye week to boot!

Buffalo - Will prob be a shootout, hopefully we steal this one

San Fran - They'll be motivated like it's their Super Bowl.  If Deebo is back, will be a very close game.

Seattle - Pete Carroll just kills us...and we always suck in Seattle.

The outlook could look different for each team come the week we play them.  Injuries, etc.  But as of now...very dicey

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

This.  If we don't get our pass defense cleaned up November is going to be a long month.

I'm wondering how much had to do with the introduction of Byard. He isn't up to speed with the D and they may have had to run simpler coverages to get him on the field. It doesn't help that half the secondary seemed undersized vs McLaurin and Thomas. Blankenship looked like a child trying to cover them size wise and they took advantage. 

2 minutes ago, Mat said:

I'm wondering how much had to do with the introduction of Byard. He isn't up to speed with the D and they may have had to run simpler coverages to get him on the field. It doesn't help that half the secondary seemed undersized vs McLaurin and Thomas. Blankenship looked like a child trying to cover them size wise and they took advantage. 

Seems like McLaurin and every average Commie quarterback just kills the Eagles every year anyways. 

58 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

There's been luck in officiating that has favored the Eagles and dropped passes by opposing receivers in big spots.

I agree with the latter statement, although other teams have gotten lucky due to dropped passes by our guys and other fluke plays as well (example, the two flukey turnovers in the Jets game and Smith's drops).  I don't understand the take about the officiating, the Eagles get the short end of the stick with calls the vast majority of the time. 

1 minute ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I agree with the latter statement, although other teams have gotten lucky due to dropped passes by our guys and other fluke plays as well (example, the two flukey turnovers in the Jets game and Smith's drops).  I don't understand the take about the officiating, the Eagles get the short end of the stick with calls the vast majority of the time. 

Miami getting 10 penalties, Eagles 0...including the obvious no-call on Bradberry's face mask.  Yesterday, Smith's non-catch that was ruled a catch.  Yeah Rivera should challenged it, but we were fortunate it was ruled a catch to begin with.  There's others, just can't think of them at the moment. I just think we've been "lucky" for the most part when it comes to getting calls/not getting calls...sometimes at key times. 

10 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Miami getting 10 penalties, Eagles 0...including the obvious no-call on Bradberry's face mask.  Yesterday, Smith's non-catch that was ruled a catch.  Yeah Rivera should challenged it, but we were fortunate it was ruled a catch to begin with.  There's others, just can't think of them at the moment. I just think we've been "lucky" for the most part when it comes to getting calls/not getting calls...sometimes at key times. 

Every one of those Miami penalties they showed a replay and it was a legit call.  Now did the Eagles commit any penalty at all during that game?  Probably could have called something on us for sure, but we were quite disciplined that game. 

Yesterday, Gainwell clearly recovered a fumble and it was given to Washington.  Sirianni didn't challenge for whatever reason, just like Rivera didn't challenge the non catch....that's both on the head coaches.  Also, Sweat and Reddick were each held badly about half a dozen times each and it wasn't called a single time.  The first time we played the Commanders we got robbed blind by the officiating. 

3 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

I think we'll be lucky to go 3-3, to be honest.  Every game this year there has been something that I just shake my head at.  They've been fortunate with their lesser competition.  Better teams will make them pay for their mistakes.

Chiefs - Reid seems to have our number as well...and Andy coming off a bye week to boot!

San Fran - They'll be motivated like it's their Super Bowl.  If Deebo is back, will be a very close game.

The outlook could look different for each team come the week we play them.  Injuries, etc.  But as of now...very dicey

I‘m optimistic. Good Teams bring out the best in us. Either way I think it is the preparation we need for successful playoffs. 

Just now, Infam said:

I‘m optimistic. Good Teams bring out the best in us. Either way I think it is the preparation we need for successful playoffs. 

Rather be battle tested than a clear front runner 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

All that may be the case but here’s the thing… Washington showed how to beat us. Quick passes and slants will negate the pass rush and go after our LBs and secondary which just isn’t very good. 

Offenses have done that to our defense for years.  It's the LB play and the fact that Howie doesn't prioritize that position.  They put their focus on D line and corner instead.  Again, their 2 starting DTs were out yesterday.  Davis and Carter change that game.  Dean still recovering from injury and he's still a first time starter and learning.  

Big game against Dallas this week.  Then a much needed bye to hopefully get everyone healthy.  What's this defense look like healthy?  And once Byard has actually had any practice this week and then after the bye with even more practice?

Remember when everyone was scared of the Dolphins great offense?  Eagles are better than the Bills & 49ers who have struggled and lost games this year, they should be worried about playing us.  We never lost to the Jets in NFL history, so anything can happen but we're better than the Seahawks too.  That leaves Cowboys and Chiefs. 

Dallas will be a battle each game and I can see splitting with them, but they're slightly overrated.

The Chiefs just got dominated by the Broncos and earlier this year clawed back to a 19-8 win over them.  Should be a battle as well.

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

They put their focus on D line and corner instead

Trouble is those corners that they have invested heavily in are looking old and perhaps past it.

That must be one of the toughest runs in anyones schedule this season - brutal

33 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

That must be one of the toughest runs in anyones schedule this season - brutal

Yup.  This is where we'll see how we stack up against the best.  It's a good test.

7 minutes ago, psychodog said:

Yup.  This is where we'll see how we stack up against the best.  It's a good test.

But is it...

...the real test?

58 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Trouble is those corners that they have invested heavily in are looking old and perhaps past it.

Nah, that‘s not true. It‘s just if a rookie makes a mistake he‘s green, if a veteran makes a mistake he‘s too old and everyone in between is just no good. 😄

People jump to these hot takes all the time when in reality this position is one of the hardest to play in all sports.

10 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Boys got hops. Put him in at TE

Superweaponz!  

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Superweaponz!  

Just need the Aussie at FB and Jalen Carter at HB

9 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Just need the Aussie at FB and Jalen Carter at HB

Lane Johnson caught a TD pass once too!

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Lane Johnson caught a TD pass once too!

He’s gonna be the qb

16 hours ago, EagleFan85 said:

Still struggling with the idea of Sam Howell putting on a passing clinic most of the day.

Dude got the ball out. I was expecting the Eagles to sack him like 10 times, but Howell was slinging it.

40 minutes ago, toolg said:

Dude got the ball out. I was expecting the Eagles to sack him like 10 times, but Howell was slinging it.

Dude looked like the GOAT for three and half quarters.

He threw two bad passes in a row with around 4 minutes left. Had he hit either of those passes it may have been a different outcome. Those two passes which took place on 3rd and 4th down I believe those were two of  his three bad passes all day.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

All that may be the case but here’s the thing… Washington showed how to beat us. Quick passes and slants will negate the pass rush and go after our LBs and secondary which just isn’t very good. 

WASH seems always to play the Eagles well.  These plays work against our defense and now all other teams would copy them.  Granted not all teams have the personnel to excuse these plays, but the good ones would.  Our coaches have to devise something to counter these plays.

As much as the 4th & 1 play works well in most of time, it is important that they have variation out the same formation likes yesterday.  With variety, the play will continue to see success.

Archived