The Eagles need new coordinators - OC and DC

eaglesfan0075

5 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Going to be interesting to see how Hurts handles this news.  Wasn't he just quoted saying that he, Siri, and Johnson will get it back the offense back on track?

Well hopefully he handles it as a professional, it's a cold hard fact that the NFL stands for "Not For Long" when you are not performing.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr_Philly said:

Well, hopefully he handles it as a professional, it's a cold hard fact that the NFL stands for "Not For Long" when you are not performing.

Hopefully, but it's not hard to see that Hurts' audibles and happy feet may have cost his friend and confidant his job.  

31 minutes ago, Procus said:

image.thumb.png.d72daf821c0f74bb2e836fe664198848.png

I'm guessing it'd need to be a promotion for us to land draft pick compensation, but if he's hired on as an offensive coordinator elsewhere do we get anything? I mean, aside from the fact that he'll be gone and that'll be addition via subtraction.

36 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Going to be interesting to see how Hurts handles this news.  Wasn't he just quoted saying that he, Siri, and Johnson will get it back the offense back on track?

Did he say that with a straight face? 

30 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Hopefully, but it's not hard to see that Hurts' audibles and happy feet may have cost his friend and confidant his job.  

No way, it's not Hurts fault that the playcalling was horrible.  BJ and Nick cost BJ his job

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Did he say that with a straight face? 

For what it's worth, here is the comment....straight face....

"I was asked that question the other day about that and what’d I say? I didn’t know that was a thing,” Hurts said in locker room cleanout Wednesday. "I had no idea that was a thing, so I don’t see why that would be the case. We plan on fixing everything that we’ve done and growing together, coach Sirianni, (offensive coordinator) Brian (Johnson), everyone.”

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Yes! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Yes. Let him be offensive somewhere else.

• Like 1

Let's go get Leslie Frazier and turn him loose.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NOTW said:

He did one of them on zoom, which doesn't count for the Rooney Rule. And Atlanta had already interviewed other minority coaches to satisfy the Rooney Rule before BJ. So he's getting actual interest.

That's good news. I hope he gets the job.

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

That's good news. I hope he gets the job.

Doubt he gets the Falcons job - they are in on everyone. Sounds like BB wants that role and Harbaugh is at least feigning interest to drive the price up for the Chargers. 

Our best shots were probably either the Titans or Panthers job but one of those is filled and the other one he has been dropped from. The collapse continuing through to the playoffs probably did us no favours in getting those two third round picks. I think he is a good QB coach so will definitely land on his feet - he is certainly better than what we had this year. But with the benefit of hindsight probably a little too early to make the jump to OC. If whoever brings him in can develop him a little more which helps him succeed in his second shot at OC down the line, they reap the rewards of the picks.

There is the rumor going around that Johnson will be going to the Colts to be with Steichen and Cooter will be coming here.It is a lateral for both but Cooter wants to 

call his plays and that won't happen in Indy. Johnson gets reunited with Steichen and works with Richardson who he had dealings with in Florida.

• Like 1

So we retain the sideline jumping clown, fire others and the names i see being thrown about do not impress. Can't they go to winning teams and try to get coordinators who are winners. Entice them with more moneys and give their egos a chance to turn this offense and defense around

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:02 AM, Breeze 44 said:

There is the rumor going around that Johnson will be going to the Colts to be with Steichen and Cooter will be coming here.It is a lateral for both but Cooter wants to 

call his plays and that won't happen in Indy. Johnson gets reunited with Steichen and works with Richardson who he had dealings with in Florida.

So we just play musical chairs with the same coaches and expect different results...makes sense. 

1 hour ago, b_west3 said:

So we just play musical chairs with the same coaches and expect different results...makes sense. 

Yeah not sure about that. I think with the new OC they need to have called plays before in the NFL even if they are a young guy.

So the Eagle were soooooo tired of the failures of the Fangio disciples they decided instead to go full Fangio?

Spoiler

Never Go Full Fangio.

image.jpeg.45725b8b77c03f94baa759e8df0faaf1.jpeg

I really do hope this all comes together, but I have a hard time thinking it will. New coordinators, new QB coach, the HC on the last year of his contract (lame duck), another year, and yet another new coordinator situation for Jalen who has already taken a step back with a new coordinator and that guy was like family. On top of this the guy who’s supposed to hold all of this together has no responsibilities for the offense or defense just happens to be the guy who watched it all fall apart last season and was powerless to stop it. Has this ever worked anywhere else where a team brought in a new OC and DC from outside of the organization and that team was successful that same season? 

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

So the Eagle were soooooo tired of the failures of the Fangio disciples they decided instead to go full Fangio?

Reveal hidden contents

Never Go Full Fangio.

image.png.7f7018f21c0efd4ad56ebc3b39b38e30.png

So it seems that some Dolphins players are more than happy that Fangio is no longer their DC. Perhaps this hire could end up being worse than we realize. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I really do hope this all comes together, but I have a hard time thinking it will. New coordinators, new QB coach, the HC on the last year of his contract (lame duck), another year, and yet another new coordinator situation for Jalen who has already taken a step back with a new coordinator and that guy was like family. On top of this the guy who’s supposed to hold all of this together has no responsibilities for the offense or defense just happens to be the guy who watched it all fall apart last season and was powerless to stop it. Has this ever worked anywhere else where a team brought in a new OC and DC from outside of the organization and that team was successful that same season? 

This question is pretty loaded considering you could argue the same thing in Sirianni's defense from last year. The amount of teams that get their coaches on both sides of the ball poached is a ridiculously short list. Sirianni lost the SB and lost both coaches. Doug won the SB and was one wishy-washy Josh McDaniels away from losing zero. But generally speaking it's hard to be successful at all when replacing OC and DC in the same season.

Love the OC hire!!

Can some of these threads be merged, maybe??!! I'm all over the place with my posts!!

😜🤪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

This question is pretty loaded considering you could argue the same thing in Sirianni's defense from last year. The amount of teams that get their coaches on both sides of the ball poached is a ridiculously short list. Sirianni lost the SB and lost both coaches. Doug won the SB and was one wishy-washy Josh McDaniels away from losing zero. But generally speaking it's hard to be successful at all when replacing OC and DC in the same season.

This is why if they were going to replace both coordinators in three consecutive seasons it would have been better to simply go in another direction with the head coach. Potentially we could see this team go four consecutive seasons with a new OC and DC especially if Sirianni gets fired or isn’t extended. I just have a hard time seeing this working unless the OC and DC have assurances that regardless of what happens to the HC they get at least two seasons. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This is why if they were going to replace both coordinators in three consecutive seasons it would have been better to simply go in another direction with the head coach. Potentially we could see this team go four consecutive seasons with a new OC and DC especially if Sirianni gets fired or isn’t extended. I just have a hard time seeing this working unless the OC and DC have assurances that regardless of what happens to the HC they get at least two seasons. 

This is honestly really unfair. I get WHY you'd say this, but I think it's total BS from the coach's perspective. From the fan perspective this makes sense, but from the perspective of the coach, you deal with an unprecedented situation. Not only did you lose both your coordinators, but on top of that, you've had a total of 0 (before Fangio) that are more experienced than you and can help you out, while the two other successful coaches of your era have had "head coaches of the defense" for their entire tenure.

I get that life isn't fair and all that but honestly, yikes.

39 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

This is honestly really unfair. I get WHY you'd say this, but I think it's total BS from the coach's perspective. From the fan perspective this makes sense, but from the perspective of the coach, you deal with an unprecedented situation. Not only did you lose both your coordinators, but on top of that, you've had a total of 0 (before Fangio) that are more experienced than you and can help you out, while the two other successful coaches of your era have had "head coaches of the defense" for their entire tenure.

I get that life isn't fair and all that but honestly, yikes.

Sirianni’s going to do what he needs to do in order to hold onto his job, but who hired Desai? Who’s idea was it to promote Johnson if he wasn’t ready? I mean we are trying to give Sirianni a pass, but he’s the one who chose his coaches last time. I can’t cut him a break for not having experienced coaches when it was his choice not to have them to begin with. And now that he has them can you see the bigger issue? How can these experienced coaches really respect Sirianni when he basically didn’t hire them? If things are falling apart in a game who do you think the players will look to the HC or their respective coordinators? 

43 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sirianni’s going to do what he needs to do in order to hold onto his job, but who hired Desai? Who’s idea was it to promote Johnson if he wasn’t ready? I mean we are trying to give Sirianni a pass, but he’s the one who chose his coaches last time. I can’t cut him a break for not having experienced coaches when it was his choice not to have them to begin with. And now that he has them can you see the bigger issue? How can these experienced coaches really respect Sirianni when he basically didn’t hire them? If things are falling apart in a game who do you think the players will look to the HC or their respective coordinators? 

While normally I'd acknowledge this, I want to point out the same thing I pointed out before. Doug got help from the FO to hire people like Schwartz - he didn't have those connections, but the FO did, so they helped him figure it out and gave him a structure to succeed within. Notably, when he lost that structure, he also fell apart. I don't think that's a coincidence. And what I'm saying in this case is, I don't really think Siri received anywhere near as much help as Doug did from the FO early on.

It's not really about giving passes, it's about normalizing vs past coaches in our recent history and how much help they received from the organization. Which is why I think we may have a bit of an organization level problem on our hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

While normally I'd acknowledge this, I want to point out the same thing I pointed out before. Doug got help from the FO to hire people like Schwartz - he didn't have those connections, but the FO did, so they helped him figure it out and gave him a structure to succeed within. Notably, when he lost that structure, he also fell apart. I don't think that's a coincidence. And what I'm saying in this case is, I don't really think Siri received anywhere near as much help as Doug did from the FO early on.

It's not really about giving passes, it's about normalizing vs past coaches in our recent history and how much help they received from the organization. Which is why I think we may have a bit of an organization level problem on our hands.

I won’t deny that there’s an organizational/philosophical problem within the organization. I agree with that assessment. With that being the case this all won’t easily change with coordinator changes especially coordinators that Sirianni didn’t hire and possibly do not share the same ideologies. Fangio is said to be kind of a no nonsense disciplinarian, but how does that jive with Sirianni’s light practices, and motivational speeches? I don’t think this is the match made in heaven people are assuming it will be.