hunt's ***official*** team league thread - 2023

mr_hunt

Will try and get my pick in sometime this evening. Busy day here and I'm torn between three teams for the first pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iggles25 said:

Will try and get my pick in sometime this evening. Busy day here and I'm torn between three teams for the first pick.

Let us know which three! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Let us know which three! 

Only if you promise to give me intel from the spreadsheet 

4 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Only if you promise to give me intel from the spreadsheet 

For five bucks, he'll send you a snap chat of his rankings and probably his dong.  I wouldn't risk it.

I suggest you post a poll for everyone to vote on teams to help you out, results binding of course.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I suggest you post a poll for everyone to vote on teams to help you out, results binding of course.

My vote is for the team who Hunt wont draft

3 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

okay, my draft list is ready.  

6q8jfx.jpg

2 down, 1 more to go. My 6am (EST) flight just got delayed until 825, so I am chilling in the delta sky lounge now and re-booked myself on a different 8am flight. I’ll keep checking before I take off to see if @Mat gets a pick in. I don’t know what the time zone differential looks like for him 

I'll pick shortly. Just at work. Need to look at my team list since I had Chargers as my pick

• Like 1

I was struggling to split 2 teams. I probably should have taken the team with the better QB but I like the Cook/Jefferson/Thielen trio

14 minutes ago, Mat said:

I was struggling to split 2 teams. I probably should have taken the team with the better QB but I like the Cook/Jefferson/Thielen trio

I honestly don’t know as well how to rank things with this, but what I typically do is rank each position individually, and using a 17-game schedule (for simplicity), rank players based on estimated PPG. Occasionally there’s someone missing early games because of injury or suspension… so it’s not a perfect method since I NEVER research/factor that in… but it’s def approximate. 

this year, for the major positions (qb/rb/wr/te), I used a 2pt spread. Josh Allen was my QB1, so if his PPG is estimated as 30 (making up that number), any QB who scores 28+PPG is considered "tier 1”, and I assign them a value of 5. The top QB in tier 2, I subtract two points from that (maybe that guy is 26.7ppg) so anyone that scores 24.7-26.7 gets a 4point value, and so on. 

then for every team, I sum up their total value points. K and DST get like 0.5 and 0.25 or something if they are the hands down upper echelon tier 1. I only do a tier 2 which is like a 0.2/0.1 value. This basically means neither of those score enough to elevate a "7” value team to a "9” or "12” because they got Tucker or some #1 overall defense. That team will be like a 7.5 maybe. Tells me on a quick skim that they have as much positional value as any other 7 team, but I get a bonus of an above-average DST or K. 

with this scale, cincy was my #1 seed. Qb, Rb, wr positions all have a 4pt player. Wr also has a 3pt player. Buffalo was my #2 with a qb-5, but my WR spreads (using that 2ppg) we’re so significant that diggs was a pt value of 3 even tho he’s my WR6 overall. In past years I think I looked at the league as having 20 starting WRs at minimum, and more likely 30+ with the flexes, so I probably gave the top 5 or maybe even the top 10 a 5pt value, then the next 5 (or 10) a 4pt value, and so on. 

this method really works round 1, especially with late 1st or early 2nd round picks. But when you’re picking a late round 2 or in round 3, you almost ignore the points and try to snag the Christian mccaffrey on a trash panthers or deande Hopkins on a trash Texans because you’re getting a top 5 overall player which means more than getting 3-4 RB/WRs in the 25-35 range 

I had Burrow as a QB 1 while I had Cousins as a QB 2. Cook I have above Mixon, Jefferson above Chase and Thielen about equal to Boyd/Higgins. Both TE's aren't great but Hurst is ahead. D/ST and Kickers who cares. 

It's just the Burrow upgrade over Cousins. Having said that, I don't know if the Bengals back up last season and I factored that into my decision

2 minutes ago, Mat said:

I had Burrow as a QB 1 while I had Cousins as a QB 2. Cook I have above Mixon, Jefferson above Chase and Thielen about equal to Boyd/Higgins. Both TE's aren't great but Hurst is ahead. D/ST and Kickers who cares. 

It's just the Burrow upgrade over Cousins. Having said that, I don't know if the Bengals back up last season and I factored that into my decision

I have mixon and immediately cook in overall. Conversely have diggs and immediately chase in overall. I have Higgins a decent bit above thielen (different tiers) and burrow about 50 total fantasy points projected above cousins 

i was hoping one of my top 3 would fall to me....but nope. :nonono:

my next 4 teams are within 1 point of each other, so who the f knows. guess i'll go with mahommes & kelce....and whoever the hell winds up getting the rb & wr work there. 

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

We should just give him the Cowboys and move on

i pm'd him a couple picks ago in anticipation of his upcoming pick. :lol:  

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

i was hoping one of my top 3 would fall to me....but nope. :nonono:

my next 4 teams are within 1 point of each other, so who the f knows. guess i'll go with mahommes & kelce....and whoever the hell winds up getting the rb & wr work there. 

The groupings are always like that, but after every team picked so far, my 4,6,9,11,12 teams still on the board. My 13th has been taken for context. A seemingly great team can fall off, which is why those late 1st round draft spots can be nice. Chance to snag two top-10 teams and when picking round 3, may even be able to snag a top-15 team based on how picks through the 2nd round shook out. 

32 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I assume with @fordy88 having back to back picks and then @Redden up again, I won't have to check back in until next Friday

adam-sandler-laugh.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1