Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

The offseason rumors and click bait are always entertaining.  Mort gave his opinion, not based on anything from the team.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/13/indianapolis-colts-carson-wentz-traded-released-salary-cap/

"Right now, it looks bleak,” Mortensen said on ESPN’s ‘NFL Countdown,’ via NJ.com. "By March 18, he will probably be traded or released. Wentz has $50 million of his base salary is guaranteed. For Carson Wentz and the Colts, it looks like it was a one-year marriage that went wrong.”

That got spun by NBC Sports into:  Colts "likely to..."  and "appear ready to cut bait..." based on:  Mort's opinion.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/13/report-colts-likely-to-trade-or-release-carson-wentz/

Then this, which leaves things open of course.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

The offseason rumors and click bait are always entertaining.  Mort gave his opinion, not based on anything from the team.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/13/indianapolis-colts-carson-wentz-traded-released-salary-cap/

That got spun by NBC Sports into:  Colts "likely to..."  and "appear ready to cut bait..." based on:  Mort's opinion.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/13/report-colts-likely-to-trade-or-release-carson-wentz/

Then this, which leaves things open of course.

Highly doubt they would have traded a 1 (and then some) as part of a "1 year marriage” or trial … they had to believe he’d be around long term (well certainly longer than a year).  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Highly doubt they would have traded a 1 (and then some) as part of a "1 year marriage” or trial … they had to believe he’d be around long term (well certainly longer than a year).  

It's certainly possible that they didn't like what they saw and changed their minds.  But I would think the most logical course would be to draft a QB to compete and then decide after next season.  They probably were banking on Reich getting Wentz back to 2017 form.

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's certainly possible that they didn't like what they saw and changed their minds.  But I would think the most logical course would be to draft a QB to compete and then decide after next season.  They probably were banking on Reich getting Wentz back to 2017 form.

I do think you are likely right with your assessment but I just also think they will try to continue to do whatever they can to make it work with Wentz.  That's a hard pill to swallow - giving up a 1 for a 1 year rental.  But hey, better to cut your losses if you have a pretty good idea it isn't going to work (vs Howie holding on to players like Reagor instead of cutting bait).  

27 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's certainly possible that they didn't like what they saw and changed their minds. 

If that's the case, I think it would likely be 'locker room leader (or non-leader)' sort of stuff. He didn't set the league on fire, but at the same time, it was far from a horrible performance. So for them to want to dump him after losing a 1st round pick (and a 3rd if I remember right), would make me think that there's more to it than just on the field performance. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I really don't think the reports are as true as some people think. Wentz had a decent season overall, but ended poorly. The bad ending will have fans and media griping during the offseason, but right now, there isn't exactly an alternative. Their best bet might be to roll with him another year and try to develop a day 2 QB from this year's draft. 

Feels like the Eagles situation, but the difference in the money one quarterback is being paid compared to another. With that being the case there are other options available. People around these parts have wrote about them for several months now. It’s not as off the table as you assume. Also this isn’t about what the fans are saying. It’s about what the Colts FO and coaching staff said after the season was over. The Eagles fans are the ones who are sparking all of this need another quarterback talk in Philly. The Colts fans are mixed at best on Wentz, but the FO fueled those flames. 

On 1/12/2022 at 6:46 AM, time2rock said:

The thing is, they don't have a 1st round pick to do so.  Unless they trade quite a bit of future assets, they'd have to take one in the 2nd.  Now where have we seen that before?  Can you imagine Wentz going through that again?  :lol:

The question is could they get a first for Wentz? Many of the cults fans around here made it known how good of a season Wentz had. They gave up a first after a horrid season. When teams start looking around they have to ask themselves is it better give up three firsts for Wilson, Rodgers, or Watson and all the baggage that comes with those guys or just give up a first for Wentz? 

• Like 1

Trading Wentz wouldn't be that crazy for the Colts. If he gets traded, I expect him to go after the top 2 FA QB's are off the table.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Trading Wentz wouldn't be that crazy for the Colts. If he gets traded, I expect him to go after the top 2 FA QB's are off the table.

If the Colts are truly considering this move then it’s bigger than just the results on the field. It would basically be confirmation that this guy is difficult to coach, because if the guy who everyone said would be his coach whisperer can’t reach him then he’s a truly troubled case. Still there’s probably someone out there who thinks they can reach and fix him. 

We'll trade the Colts Minshew for a conditional 3rd that could become a 2nd.

:lol:

• Haha 2

On 2/14/2022 at 12:59 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If that's the case, I think it would likely be 'locker room leader (or non-leader)' sort of stuff. He didn't set the league on fire, but at the same time, it was far from a horrible performance. So for them to want to dump him after losing a 1st round pick (and a 3rd if I remember right), would make me think that there's more to it than just on the field performance. 

I seem to recall that Irsay was not amused by Carson's COVID vaccine stance. The Colts also had a high profile defender - I don't recall who - that was also not vaccinated. We'll find out if this is a 'shot across Carson's bow' IOW "get your sh!t together!" or more.

51 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I seem to recall that Irsay was not amused by Carson's COVID vaccine stance. The Colts also had a high profile defender - I don't recall who - that was also not vaccinated. We'll find out if this is a 'shot across Carson's bow' IOW "get your sh!t together!" or more.

There were a few things with that whole covid ordeal that pissed off more then just Irsay, Reich wasn't exactly happy about it either. Their biggest issue was he missed a lot of camp because of his foot and then got put on covid protocol. Basically ended up practicing like a week for all of camp. So when he refused to get vaccinated even though he already missed all that time it raised a lot of eye brows with his leadership and commitment to be there and win. 

4 hours ago, eglz1 said:

A lot of it is obvious by his play during the final two weeks, which was awful and not helped by Carson only having 1 day of practice for the Raiders game in week 16 because of Covid.  I wonder at this point if they even trade for him knowing he wouldn’t get vaxxed, plus  crapping all over him in the final press conference doesn’t help the Colts.  
 He went to Indy specifically for Reich and if Carson burned that bridge, who knows where he ends up. They may still cut him and if they do, it wouldn’t surprise me if he retires.    
Btw, we’re getting close to the one year anniversary of the trade. 

19 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Howie bent the Colts over bad, 1st and a 3rd for a 17 game rental. Sheesh.

Speculation still at this point.  And indeed it is ... further down in that piece:

This is not a sourced report. This should not end up on a TV crawl, saying, "The Athletic reports that Wentz will be traded or released before the March 18 deadline.” This is your humble correspondent reading the tea leaves. This is my strongly held opinion. Nothing more than that.

How can anyone outside the Indy FO know what their plans are?

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Speculation still at this point.  And indeed it is ... further down in that piece:

How can anyone outside the Indy FO know what their plans are?

I don't know what to think, I know they were not happy with him multiple times throughout the season and the FO, the coaches and fans all voiced it at some point. Then the end of the season was an absolute train wreck. That being said I'm gonna say they will at least bring him into camp and hold onto him for 1 more year but, he may not be the starter

There's more than enough smoke here folks, and the organization has made no effort to refute any of it.

He gone.

7 minutes ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

Former Eagles OL coach and DC, Juan Castillo (aka "Juanita" per Jim Washburn) may be returning to the NFC East...

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2022/02/nfl-rumors-ex-eagles-defensive-coordinator-returns-to-nfc-east.html

There is no position he can't coach!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is no position he can't coach!

He coached TEs here before.  In 1997.

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He coached TEs here before.  In 1997.

My point still stands

57 minutes ago, RPeeteRules said:

Looks like that league is off to a great start with QBs like that!! Lmao! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2022 at 7:49 PM, NOTW said:

We'll trade the Colts Minshew for a conditional 3rd that could become a 2nd.

:lol:

If Howie did that even you would praise him. 😂🤣😂

• Haha 1