Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

On 12/1/2021 at 8:49 AM, time2rock said:

More of that old Howie getting guys that don't fit the scheme. Then people **** about the d-coordinator. Either get guys that fit the scheme or get a d-coordinator that is more flexible or both! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2021 at 11:39 AM, Penn7980 said:

Mills and Douglass both had INT yesterday for their respective team.  It seems that they are used more properly with the new teams, more than the previous coaching staff tried to do.

Eagles got a Super Bowl out of Mills so I think they used him as good as he was going to get.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

More of that old Howie getting guys that don't fit the scheme. Then people **** about the d-coordinator. Either get guys that fit the scheme or get a d-coordinator that is more flexible or both! 

This is something like the 5th or 6th team Douglas has been on already. 

On 11/9/2021 at 4:24 PM, metal said:

Elijah Riley has been signed by the Jets off our practice squad.

Could have used him for tomorrow's game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Making his way around the division. 

And then back to us fully groomed to be the franchise without wasting a roster spot. Howie is a freaking genius!!

• Haha 3

Rasul Douglas with a pick 6 just now of Fields to give GB the lead over Chicago.  

• Like 1

It is sick to watch Corey Clement running in the Dallas Uniform. Used to love this guy in 2017.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

It is sick to watch Corey Clement running in the Dallas Uniform. Used to love this guy in 2017.

I am pretty sure they said on the broadcast he is a huge Cowboys fan too.

7 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Screenshot_20211213-000918_Twitter.jpg

Maybe Howie's evaluation on him was right and he just wasn't used properly or was in a system that exposed him here.  

50 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Maybe Howie's evaluation on him was right and he just wasn't used properly or was in a system that exposed him here.  

Or maybe another factor is that some players take time to fully develop. Fans in these parts aren't known for their patience. The higher pick you are around here, the sooner fans want to cut ties with you if you aren't producing right away. 

• Sad 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:22 AM, time2rock said:

Yup.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:15 AM, brkmsn said:

Or maybe another factor is that some players take time to fully develop. Fans in these parts aren't known for their patience. The higher pick you are around here, the sooner fans want to cut ties with you if you aren't producing right away. 

Funny because you see players drafted elsewhere look really good in year 1 or 2 and players we draft still look lost after 3+ years.  

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Funny because you see players drafted elsewhere look really good in year 1 or 2 and players we draft still look lost after 3+ years.  

It's not even a fan thing anymore it's the way the league is now. You get 1-3 years to produce depending on where you were picked in those rounds. If you can't produce in that time then you have to develop the rest of your game elsewhere. 

I agree though it seems to take forever here. They get 4 year rookie contracts with the optional 5th you don't have time to wait to see if they are going to get any better after yr 3. It's either you produce or you move on you don't want to pay the tail end of the rookie contract when they haven't done sheet yet. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 4:22 AM, time2rock said:

Don't you think that....Maybe 5 years on the Job, experience , changed him??? He is not the same Player he was 5 years ago. Your criticism of Eagles lack of proper player development is valid. Several previous CB coaches just plain stinked. We need to get better coaches!.... but unfortunately Eagles is not the premier landing spot for some of the NFL brightest coaching talents. It is what it is. 

5 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Don't you think that....Maybe 5 years on the Job, experience , changed him??? He is not the same Player he was 5 years ago. Your criticism of Eagles lack of proper player development is valid. Several previous CB coaches just plain stinked. We need to get better coaches!.... but unfortunately Eagles is not the premier landing spot for some of the NFL brightest coaching talents. It is what it is. 

Douglas just backed this assessment up by candidly admitting that Corey Undlin never taught him out to study film, which he didn't learn how to do until he reached Green Bay.  Really sad.

Here is the video:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Douglas just backed this assessment up by candidly admitting that Corey Undlin never taught him out to study film, which he didn't learn how to do until he reached Green Bay.  Really sad.

Here is the video:

No surprise there. I remember when we got Corey Undlin. I said he had all pros in the secondary for the broncos he didn't have to be a good coach. Why would the broncos let him go if he was the reason that secondary was so good? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Here is the video:

Undlin was one of the two coaches I had in mind, when I was writing my post. So yes, Douglas's criticism is 100 percent valid. Howie just went from Average- to Average+.   :)

Douglas also went through a couple teams before landing in GB and is now playing well.  Could be just an isolated case.  Are the Cardinals also not good at developing corners and coaching them? Or is this just how the path worked out for Douglas?

Can we make the case of a pattern of players that perform better after they leave the Eagles? 

29 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Can we make the case of a pattern of players that perform better after they leave the Eagles?

This claim gets thrown around a lot.... Yes there are some guys that played better but, I think every team has guys that fit better somewhere else. I don't think it's an overwhelming number for the eagles though. 

It took Douglas 5 teams to get to this point but, sure let's blame the Eagles for it. Not that I'm defending the eagles moves but, this one is a bit of a stretch. 

It's like my job I work better and do better under different management than others. Does that mean the last store I worked in are failures? No, they just do things that don't fit my working habits or the way I do things. 

10 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This claim gets thrown around a lot.... Yes there are some guys that played better but, I think every team has guys that fit better somewhere else. I don't think it's an overwhelming number for the eagles though. 

It took Douglas 5 teams to get to this point but, sure let's blame the Eagles for it. Not that I'm defending the eagles moves but, this one is a bit of a stretch. 

It's like my job I work better and do better under different management than others. Does that mean the last store I worked in are failures? No, they just do things that don't fit my working habits or the way I do things. 

That's my point.  Sometimes it's certain fit with scheme or coaching styles.  Some guys after going through a couple different teams have maybe learned different things from different coaches or even mentored by other players.  I also would argue that some players might excel based on the other players alongside them.  The Eagles secondary was trash the year they drafted 2 corners and brought in free agents.  Who was Douglas learning from?  

If we're saying that the GM doesn't pick good enough players or the GM picks players that might be ok but don't fit with the coaches and scheme...well the GM hires the coaches too.  It's still the GM's job to build the roster with players that fit the scheme and what the coaches want. It's why the GM needs to have a general philosophy and hire coaches and acquire players that all fit that philosophy.  Not every player works out of course, but there should be a core of players built that fit what you want to do and if they don't work out you cut them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm sure it is a mix of both ... there are some players that we've picked that didn't play all that well here and when they moved on and had an opportunity to play in a scheme more suited to their skill set, they played much better.  For the most part though, I believe it is just Howie picking (in general) average at best players or those don't don't fit what the coaches are looking for.  

• Like 1