Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

Jesus Christ, the guy was an 8 year starter in the NFL, he earned >$22million and he only retired 3 years ago, and he was arrested for having 3 and a half pounds of weed in his car in 2021 for which he got probabtion.  How the hell can a retired NFL player move on to dealing weed and still need to sell his Superbowl ring 3 years after retiring without even getting divorced at any point?   There's bad with money and there's reaaally bad with money.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Jesus Christ, the guy was an 8 year starter in the NFL, he earned >$22million and he only retired 3 years ago, and he was arrested for having 3 and a half pounds of weed in his car in 2021 for which he got probabtion.  How the hell can a retired NFL player move on to dealing weed and still need to sell his Superbowl ring 3 years after retiring without even getting divorced at any point?   There's bad with money and there's reaaally bad with money.

"This offered Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl LII Family Ring was manufactured by Jostens and is made of 10-karat gold. The ring weighs approximately 81 grams and is a size 12.5. The front of the ring features "WORLD" and "CHAMPIONS" and is surrounded by resplendent diamonds and green sapphires. The right shank features the game's score on the corners, with the slogan "WE ALL WE GOT WE ALL WE NEED" with a diamond atop the Lombardi Trophy. "LII SUPER BOWL" and "FAMILY" appear, with the bottom of the ring labeled "FLY EAGLES FLY." The right shank features Bradham boldly and his number "53." The inside is engraved "2017 Eagles" and their playoff record. The ring displays some scratches, but those are dulled by the beauty of the gemstones. The ring comes with an LOA from TJ Kaye (TJ KCRA-6195)."

Patriots signing Jalen Reagor to their practice squad.

Patriots to sign Jalen Reagor to 53-player roster

Published October 26, 2023 08:34 AM

Patriots wide receiver Jalen Reagor is getting bumped up to the 53-player roster.

Reagor, who had been on the practice squad, is signing to the active roster, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

The 24-year-old Reagor has already played in two games for the Patriots this season as a practice-squad call-up. In Sunday’s win over the Bills he picked up a first down with an 11-yard catch.

A first-round pick of the Eagles in 2020, Reagor was a major disappointment in Philadelphia and was traded to the Vikings for a seventh-round draft pick. He lasted a year in Minnesota before he was released after the preseason this year, and he’s been on the Patriots’ practice squad since.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/patriots-to-sign-jalen-reagor-to-53-player-roster

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

So if it's the family ring, then maybe it's just someone in his family he gifted the ring to that is now cashing in. Which is also sad.

However, the ESPN documentary "Broke" (I think that's what it was called) showcased how so many athletes don't have money after they're done playing because they are bad with money and spend it all.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

"This offered Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl LII Family Ring was manufactured by Jostens and is made of 10-karat gold. The ring weighs approximately 81 grams and is a size 12.5. The front of the ring features "WORLD" and "CHAMPIONS" and is surrounded by resplendent diamonds and green sapphires. The right shank features the game's score on the corners, with the slogan "WE ALL WE GOT WE ALL WE NEED" with a diamond atop the Lombardi Trophy. "LII SUPER BOWL" and "FAMILY" appear, with the bottom of the ring labeled "FLY EAGLES FLY." The right shank features Bradham boldly and his number "53." The inside is engraved "2017 Eagles" and their playoff record. The ring displays some scratches, but those are dulled by the beauty of the gemstones. The ring comes with an LOA from TJ Kaye (TJ KCRA-6195)."

I'm not sure what you're driving at with the bolded bit here?  The Eagles championship ring featured the word Family as part of the design, the photo's are of a legit ring, with the dog mask and players signature inside. It specifically mentions it has a letter of authenticity from a recognized authority on Championship rings?

You think people are bidding $30000 on a replica ring from a family member?

32 minutes ago, NOTW said:

So if it's the family ring, then maybe it's just someone in his family he gifted the ring to that is now cashing in. Which is also sad.

However, the ESPN documentary "Broke" (I think that's what it was called) showcased how so many athletes don't have money after they're done playing because they are bad with money and spend it all.  

I saw Broke, but that film came out in 2012, how are players still going Broke over a decade after that?

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I saw Broke, but that film came out in 2012, how are players still going Broke over a decade after that?

IDK.  I know the teams have orientations for rookies and give them guidance on finances, handling media, etc.  Probably not everyone listens.  

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Taxes. People always underestimate taxes on high income individuals. They get hit with the highest bracket fed and state. Then you have all of the other intermediaries that take a piece like agents, attorneys, wives, etc :)  Doesn't take long to run through money when the avg length of an NFL career is about 3 years.

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I'm not sure what you're driving at with the bolded bit here?  The Eagles championship ring featured the word Family as part of the design, the photo's are of a legit ring, with the dog mask and players signature inside. It specifically mentions it has a letter of authenticity from a recognized authority on Championship rings?

You think people are bidding $30000 on a replica ring from a family member?

It's not his actual "player" ring. It's one of the ones players can get for family members with his name. I clicked on the link provided for that auction and that part I quoted was the ring description, clearly stating that it was a "family ring" which means it was not the actual "player ring." 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2760119-tom-bradys-family-version-of-super-bowl-li-ring-sells-for-record-344927

16 hours ago, judunno said:

Taxes. People always underestimate taxes on high income individuals. They get hit with the highest bracket fed and state. Then you have all of the other intermediaries that take a piece like agents, attorneys, wives, etc 🙂 Doesn't take long to run through money when the avg length of an NFL career is about 3 years.

With respect, BS. The players Today aren't paying taxes within light years of the same level pre Reagan-era players were.  Johnny Unitas would have paid a top marginal rate of between 70 and 90% for most of his career and he was bankrupted by failed investments 20 years after he retired. Players since 1987 haven't paid above 40% top rate in their lives

Does anybody really know Bradham's current financial state? I mean, in all honesty, this was probably an investment in which he is now profiting on. So maybe he's not as bad with finances as people are assuming. He still has his actual player ring which I would imagine would auction off for ten times the current bid on the family ring. 

https://goldin.co/item/2017-18-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-championship-ring-presented-to-the-fams6cau

On 10/26/2023 at 5:35 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I'm personally pretty shocked that a dude who would assault a cabana boy over a dispute about an umbrella would be bad with money. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

With respect, BS. The players Today aren't paying taxes within light years of the same level pre Reagan-era players were.  Johnny Unitas would have paid a top marginal rate of between 70 and 90% for most of his career and he was bankrupted by failed investments 20 years after he retired. Players since 1987 haven't paid above 40% top rate in their lives

With respect, BS. You're not accounting for inflation since the freaking 80's and you didn't read all of the other factors outside of taxes. Couldn't give two craps about pre Regan era. That's 40-50% in taxes is still a huge chunk of change when you add all of the other expenses is my point. Add inflation, taxes (state, federal), property taxes, agents/management, medical bills. legal issues etc and $1 million gets eaten up quick. 3 years of NFL play on avg doesn't guarantee financial security. Plus you're talking about people that are typically coming from poverty to having a nice check and they don't know what to do with it. You have everyone with their hands out and opportunist and fraudsters trying to hustle these guys at every turn. Post football they typically won't be able to do anything to come close to their NFL salaries. Only takes a few bad investments, medical issue, or some other life impacting event (divorce) and they're toast.

10 minutes ago, Kz! said:

I'm personally pretty shocked that a dude who would assault a cabana boy over a dispute about an umbrella would be bad with money. 

Yeah.. this isn't limited to football players, pro athletes, or entertainers. Typically people that hit the lottery or come into big money fast are soon broke as well. Not everyone is ready for that type of money. We don't exactly teach financial literacy in this country very well.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, judunno said:

With respect, BS. You're not accounting for inflation since the freaking 80's and you didn't read all of the other factors outside of taxes. Couldn't give two craps about pre Regan era. That's 40-50% in taxes is still a huge chunk of change when you add all of the other expenses is my point. Add inflation, taxes (state, federal), property taxes, agents/management, medical bills. legal issues etc and $1 million gets eaten up quick. 3 years of NFL play on avg doesn't guarantee financial security. Plus you're talking about people that are typically coming from poverty to having a nice check and they don't know what to do with it. You have everyone with their hands out and opportunist and fraudsters trying to hustle these guys at every turn. Post football they typically won't be able to do anything to come close to their NFL salaries. Only takes a few bad investments, medical issue, or some other life impacting event (divorce) and they're toast.

You don't understand the concept of marginal tax rates do you?  Bradham may have paid more in flat dollars than Unitas, but he's been paid exponentially more, and as a proportion of actual earnings, a 70 - 90% rate of federal tax is always taking a higher proportion of Johnny Unitas' salary over the higher earnings threshold than 38.5% is taking of Nigel Bradham's over the same threshold, the level of that threshold has been rising by at least inflation since Unitas was paying tax in the 70's. Taxes are not the reason modern footballers or sports people in general are poor

You really think federal tax rates have dropped since the 80's because of inflation?  Jesus Christ.

36 minutes ago, judunno said:

Yeah.. this isn't limited to football players, pro athletes, or entertainers. Typically people that hit the lottery or come into big money fast are soon broke as well. Not everyone is ready for that type of money. We don't exactly teach financial literacy in this country very well.

No crap.

37 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You don't understand the concept of marginal tax rates do you?  Bradham may have paid more in flat dollars than Unitas, but he's been paid exponentially more, and as a proportion of actual earnings, a 70 - 90% rate of federal tax is always taking a higher proportion of Johnny Unitas' salary over the higher earnings threshold than 38.5% is taking of Nigel Bradham's over the same threshold, the level of that threshold has been rising by at least inflation since Unitas was paying tax in the 70's. Taxes are not the reason modern footballers or sports people in general are poor

You really think federal tax rates have dropped since the 80's because of inflation?  Jesus Christ.

No crap.

The concept of marginal tax rates isn't relevant to what I'm trying to convey. I have a tax guy for that. You're clearly not following. I didn't say anything about tax rates dropping because of inflation. The point of me mentioning inflation is that the athletes purchasing power is significantly lower than the 80s or 70s. Some of these contracts look great on the surface but it's really not a ton of money with all things considered. These dudes who are not usually financially literate (not many are)  don't account for the impact of taxes on their income period. They get these big contracts and spend as if there are no other considerations. I'm just pointing out that taxes, agents and such take a large chunk of their money before they even start spending frivolously. So $1 million dollars doesn't get you far in this era. Especially when that income isn't sustainable. Why do you have your panties in a bunch about me mentioning taxes? You owe the IRS or something? Welcome to the club.

7 hours ago, judunno said:

I'm pretty sure that certain people (parasites) don't want a financially literate clientele. Plus, how responsible - financially or otherwise - are most people when they're in their early 20s? If pro athletes don't have advisers  that are trustworthy, it's likely to not end well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

With Cousins going down any chance a certain former Eagles quarterback gets a call? 

No

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

With Cousins going down any chance a certain former Eagles quarterback gets a call? 

I seriously doubt it.....I said a few weeks back I think his career in the NFL is done.....

It is probably the spot that makes the most sense for him. They are getting ready to rebuild and as a stop gap for the rest of the season he makes sense. 

43 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I seriously doubt it.....I said a few weeks back I think his career in the NFL is done.....

I don’t think he’s the best plug in and play type option to be honest, but at .500 and on a 3 game win streak he’s probably the best option they can get without having to give up something. If the Vikings don’t go after him he’s truly cooked.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think he’s the best plug in and play type option to be honest, but at .500 and on a 3 game win streak he’s probably the best option they can get without having to give up something. IfThe Vikings don’t go after him he’s truly cooked.

You are probably right. I dont think there are any other QB's out there that can be serviceable......