Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

Maybe it's not Wentz's ability that is in doubt.  He clearly has shown to have some, albeit 2017 was the outlier.  It could be the fact that three teams bailed on him back to back and there is something in his personality that makes it not worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Bringing someone in would be admitting Wilson was a monumental bust --- something the rest of the NFL already knows. 

Right now, there are some options, but the ones that involve trades are shrinking as more QBs get hurt. Winston might have been available before the Carr injury, but not likely now. I think the Bengals' situation is tricky because Burrow's injury likely has a high chance of becoming a season ender every time he plays on it. So far, this is after 3 weeks. I expect a couple more QBs to get hurt in the early part of the season where every team believes they are still in the mix.  Then you have teams like Chicago where their guy is playing like garbage and blaming the coaching (not a good sign that a young QB will continue to improve). 

Teams are dragging their feet right now, because all the FA QBs are still there. Right now I think teams are in the "wishful thinking" stage hoping that everything will be fine. My expectations? Burrow will miss more games than he plays. Wilson isn't mentally capable of being an NFL starting QB. Fields was incredibly overrated last season and has decided his talent is more important than learning the game. 

Maybe we can swing a deal to trade Mariota to the Jets and then bump McKee up to #2.  :D

OK all kidding aside I highly doubt we'd entertain that route with a raw, inexperienced backup while having legitimate super bowl aspirations - Mariota may not be great but he has been around for some time now and has seen quite a bit which is obviously beneficial.  

8 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

Maybe it's not Wentz's ability that is in doubt.  He clearly has shown to have some, albeit 2017 was the outlier.  It could be the fact that three teams bailed on him back to back and there is something in his personality that makes it not worth a try.

It's difficult to bring in a QB at this point of the season, they need to run the offense, they're out there every single snap and it takes time to gel with their teammates. It's the one position you can't have a guy just walk off the street start right away. They probably should look at bringing in a vet that they can get up to speed at some point, but Wilson will be the starter until at least their bye. They're unfortunately stuck with him for the time being 

33 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

With respect get the F out of here, Wilson has a career completion percentage of 55%, even at less than 6.5 yards per attempt with more picks than TD's. The Jets have decent receivers and a defense good enough to keep them in any game, with a better QB they make the play offs.  Wentz may not be a great leader of men, but the Jets only need someone to throw the ball with some sort of competence and even at his worst Wentz never threw more picks than TD's.

Numbers have nothing to do with victories, and how many more does Wentz get you? His last three seasons he’s 14-21-1 on top of that he’s been injured in two of those seasons. So really what more does this guy bring? One maybe two more victories? What does that accomplish for the Jets other than a worse draft pick? You tell me? Also are you guys forgetting three teams just walked away from Carson for complete question marks at quarterback? What are y’all watching? Despite your personal feelings the reason why Carson isn’t on a team right now, because the league doesn’t think he’s good and it’s not just because they think he’s not a good leader. 

11 minutes ago, Mat said:

It's difficult to bring in a QB at this point of the season, they need to run the offense, they're out there every single snap and it takes time to gel with their teammates. It's the one position you can't have a guy just walk off the street start right away. They probably should look at bringing in a vet that they can get up to speed at some point, but Wilson will be the starter until at least their bye. They're unfortunately stuck with him for the time being 

The only guy who probably could do that is Tom Brady, because he commands respect in a locker room, and he basically has seen every possible defense used. I highly doubt Brady would ever join the Jets though. 

3 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Maybe it's not Wentz's ability that is in doubt.  He clearly has shown to have some, albeit 2017 was the outlier. 

Individually, I don't think that 2017 was even his best season for us. For the team as a whole, 2017 was. But looking at the numbers, 18 and 19 were (in many ways) individually better seasons for him.

2018 wasn't great for us as a team, but him improving to almost 70% and his passer rating going up, made many of us envision even better things to come. Had he stunk up the field completely, we likely wouldn't have let Nick leave and had we kept Nick, Doug possibly (likely?) wouldn't have been fired. 

image.png

22 hours ago, time2rock said:

Maybe we can swing a deal to trade Mariota to the Jets and then bump McKee up to #2.  :D

OK all kidding aside I highly doubt we'd entertain that route with a raw, inexperienced backup while having legitimate super bowl aspirations - Mariota may not be great but he has been around for some time now and has seen quite a bit which is obviously beneficial.  

Isn’t that basically what San Fran did with Purdy though? Who knows what McKee could do if called upon and if I’m being honest I don’t think Mariota would step in and give us a better shot to win either. 

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It says all you need to know that he was beat out for the job here by a man who'd never even seen an American Football game on the day he was drafted, let alone actually played in one. 

On 9/12/2023 at 3:42 PM, NOTW said:

Screenshot_20230912_144158.jpg

On 9/24/2023 at 6:56 PM, EazyEaglez said:

No thanks. I can do bad all by myself. 

04885EEA-6D92-4678-A67F-E117F511A30F.jpeg

The Jets signed a QB... not Wentz, though.

Its very telling when NO ONE wants Carson Wentz's assistance....I truly think its just over for him....

• Like 1

I can't believe Wentz hasn't gotten a shot with the Jets......

With the running game the Jets have and the upgrades with the wide receivers, it would be the best skill players Wentz has played with for the last 3-4 years.  

Now it's obvious that there is some really bad info out there about Wentz with GMs OR Wentz's agent is holding out for something he's in no position to ask for......but it simply doesn't make any sense that he's not even brought in for a look.

Trevor Simien??  sounds like the jets are forfeiting the season already..... 

• Like 1

Whatever happened between Wentz and Roseman and the eagles FO, is still stuck in Joe Douglas's mind....

Maybe the reality hasn't set in for Wentz and his agent and they aren't considering low-ball offers. 

Suh got $2M for half a season last year when a desperate team came calling. After making as much as Wentz has, he may not see that as worth the health risk. But with Carson's career trajectory, the only way he'll resurrect his career is to make good on a low-end "prove it" deal at this point. If the money is not worth the risk, then football might not be in the cards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

I can't believe Wentz hasn't gotten a shot with the Jets......

With the running game the Jets have and the upgrades with the wide receivers, it would be the best skill players Wentz has played with for the last 3-4 years.  

Now it's obvious that there is some really bad info out there about Wentz with GMs OR Wentz's agent is holding out for something he's in no position to ask for......but it simply doesn't make any sense that he's not even brought in for a look.

Trevor Simien??  sounds like the jets are forfeiting the season already..... 

Here is an article which may (or may not) explain why Wentz isn't getting a call. I'm not posting the whole article, it's too long. The link is legit si.com

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/03/carson-wentz-squandered-last-chance-starter

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Its very telling when NO ONE wants Carson Wentz's assistance....I truly think its just over for him....

I think he'll eventually get a shot with another team, if nothing else then as a backup. But the Jets would seem like the perfect opportunity for him to step in and show whether or not he has anything to offer. If they refuse to even bring him in, it is telling. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I think he'll eventually get a shot with another team, if nothing else then as a backup. But the Jets would seem like the perfect opportunity for him to step in and show whether or not he has anything to offer. If they refuse to even bring him in, it is telling. 

Siemian is pretty bad but I think there are more factors than who the best available QB is. He has been with the Jets before (although a different coaching staff). Maybe they like him as a vet presence? I feel like they're fully committed to Wilson at this point and Siemian also doesn't have fans screaming for him to get benched.  

I feel if Burrow gets injured for any significant amount of time he has a better chance of ending up in Cincinnati and spot starting

8 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Agreed....the longer he doesn't play, the worse his chances.....

On 9/26/2023 at 8:39 PM, brkmsn said:

Maybe the reality hasn't set in for Wentz and his agent and they aren't considering low-ball offers. 

Suh got $2M for half a season last year when a desperate team came calling. After making as much as Wentz has, he may not see that as worth the health risk. But with Carson's career trajectory, the only way he'll resurrect his career is to make good on a low-end "prove it" deal at this point. If the money is not worth the risk, then football might not be in the cards. 

Or maybe teams just don’t see an upside in this player or a reason to bring him in? Have you heard of any deals offered to Wentz that he’s turned down? I haven’t. I think you all really need to let it sink in. This guy is not valued in the league anymore. 

4 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Agreed....the longer he doesn't play, the worse his chances.....

Honestly don’t understand why anyone would think Carson is a good option to be a backup. Has he ever shown anything coming into a game cold? He had an opportunity to do that for the Commanders last season and he looked terrible in that spot. Is Carson a mentor type to a younger QB? Nope. Jalen Hurts never got a warm feeling from Carson. Can’t say I’ve heard Sam Howell saying Carson was a great mentor for him either. Here’s the sad truth. So many are still believing that one day 2017 Wentz is just waiting to re-emerge, but that guy is long gone. The league knows this. If he really wants to resurrect his career then he might want to consider an alternative to the NFL, go ball out there and maybe get himself a chance at redemption.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 1:26 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Honestly don’t understand why anyone would think Carson is a good option to be a backup. Has he ever shown anything coming into a game cold? He had an opportunity to do that for the Commanders last season and he looked terrible in that spot. Is Carson a mentor type to a younger QB? Nope. Jalen Hurts never got a warm feeling from Carson. Can’t say I’ve heard Sam Howell saying Carson was a great mentor for him either. Here’s the sad truth. So many are still believing that one day 2017 Wentz is just waiting to re-emerge, but that guy is long gone. The league knows this. If he really wants to resurrect his career then he might want to consider an alternative to the NFL, go ball out there and maybe get himself a chance at redemption.  

Totally agree with all of this.....I honestly think its just really over for him....

• Like 1

Isn't Joe Douglas, former Eagles asst. GM, now GM with the Jets? If so he knows that Wentz is probably a cancer in the locker room.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:54 PM, birdman#12 said:

Whatever happened between Wentz and Roseman and the eagles FO, is still stuck in Joe Douglas's mind....

Didn’t Douglass leave in like 2019 though? At that time Wentz was firmly in the Eagles plans and basically had Howie wrapped around his finger. Back then players were afraid to speak out against Wentz because they feared the repercussions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Didn’t Douglass leave in like 2019 though? At that time Wentz was firmly in the Eagles plans and basically had Howie wrapped around his finger. Back then players were afraid to speak out against Wentz because they feared the repercussions. 

Yeah but Douglas watched Howie sack a Superbowl winning coach and then Wentz still asked for a trade, he knew the background of how Howie bent over backward for him and Wentz still threw it in his face.

10 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah but Douglas watched Howie sack a Superbowl winning coach and then Wentz still asked for a trade, he knew the background of how Howie bent over backward for him and Wentz still threw it in his face.

Well it’s not just Douglas, but the entire league. No one is trying to touch Wentz. The Cardinals went with Dobbs who was a journeyman unknown. Burrow still doesn’t look quite right and the Bengals said no. Two other teams quickly wanted out of the Wentz business. To me it just doesn’t feel like NFL teams think this quarterback is talented enough to be worth the hassle. 

• Like 1